❀ YO's BL NOVEL BOOK CLUB ❀

Racheal

Yay!

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
.. any discussion is better if you're here... yoyo5

Yay yay

it's always better to discuss books in the thread where you're actually supposed to.. xD I can definitely relate to the whole safe shifters stories, I have periods where I read nothing else, but omegaverse (and most of them are horrible & killing my brains), so I AM looking forward to this book club to get me to read more challenging stuff during these periods..:D

I'm actually now getting more excited about audiobooks as well.:D:D I really don't listen to that many, so it should be fun:D:D

I've concerns 'tho.

1. If a member finishes a book faster than the other and starts discussing it, wouldn't that makes some kind of spoilers? I'm not oposed to spoilers. On contradiction, I like it! But what about others who don't?

2. What if I missed the book of the month? Will I still be a member?

will reply to it better.. (as our awesome & hot secretary..:D), but we've never met before, so I want to reply to you too:D:D hello:D:D

1. I agree here with what Racheal suggested before:

I know we read in different pact, but you can always mention how far you are now, for example : chapter 8, and then put spoiler on all the contents. [We can include this in the rules too]

I think it should solve most of our problems:D I personally promise to probably finish the books during the first two days & then suffer for the rest of the month xD

but

's idea to wait till the middle of the month to start discussing is great as well..^^

2 I think it's pretty casual, no? I'm pretty sure missing a book of the month shouldn't be a problem, no? What do you say, Racheal? Maybe I'm mistaken:)

Yay

&
Im just so honoured to be the first to tag you.. I have a feeling this thread is going to be EXTREMELY popular!!:D (it already is:) yay!:D:D

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Racheal

• voide

• auser

• Jochie

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you think the first book genre should be? i enjoy all genres from fluffy zero heat to hardcore BDSM except plot with too much drama from the ex and cheating..(it gets painful to read then)

and i agree with fanyaoi that we can put a specific timeline that from the middle of the month or last week we are going to discuss about the book..because not everyone likes spoiler though i actually prefer spoilers because it helps me to choose which book to read..

You know guys, I am up for everything except MPREG. I would have to skip that month. XD

Update: Adding Tentacles

how about YA? Age Gap? Polygamy? I'm sorry, those are the only genres that come to my mind right away:D oh BDSM! i'm always in the mood for something kinky..^^

I'm agree with what

suggested, everyone can discuss everything they like. I'm not so chatty myself except on special occasion.

And I like the idea that we start discussions in the middle of the month, so we can discuss it together and no one feels like they were left behind.

For the first theme may I suggest something light? Book that put a smile on your face or keep you gigglin like an idiot :D

I know it still a long time, but can we have Christmas theme for December, please??

re: discussion

okay, secretary :D alright then, i think it's decided the discussion should be casual. i liked the idea that we can also talk about the book's cover bc ya know, some MM books tend to have really an 'offensive' cover if you know what i mean hehe

i seconded

about in-depth discussion at the middle of the month. that seems like a good timeline. not too fast & not too late to start a discussion. & like
said no one will be left behind.

_______

re: theme

when talked about theme, in my head it's not only a regular theme like; shifters, BDSM etc. i thought about something like; maybe for the first month we can read books from popular author like let's say T.J. Klune. and from there we listed maybe 5/6 books to be selected. & then next month we could try new authors which i can't name it bc i don't know..hehee see. this is one way we can explore not something out of our comfort zone but also try something totally new. of course this is just a suggestion. what do you guys think?

again, fan_yaoi's suggestion; having theme & random is a good option as well

now. that's what we need to discuss. plot. imo, we can't select book w only strong plot etc. we can select theme & from there we read & find out if the plot or characters have flaws & everything. that we need to discuss. like you, i have so many pet peeves as well. i'm picky like
said lol & that's why i need book club to push me to my limit. if i can't i can simply go hehee..

_______

re: audiobook

yesss :D

& like

i maybe need the book as well to be able to fully enjoy them. i think i can try get some more audiobooks
heee..

_______

re: skipping the month

i think it's okay if anyone wanna skip the month if the selected theme is not something you don't wanna read. no pressure here. i might do that as well if i'm still feeling not brave enough lol

Hi everyone, of course I'll join this book club lol though the only BL novels I know of are the Beautiful Monsters series so not sure how I can contribute if you guys start talking about random BL series haha but I'm always interested in what you guys discuss!!

Thanks

for the tag :)

hi, katie! we're going to read the book together & then discuss it. that way, you'll know about it as well : )

Have you guys thought about cross dressing? i have read a lot of manga but not much book in that genre..and comedy as well..there are funny moments in bl books but a book where its like full blown comedy and dirty sex jokes..haven't read any like that..Also character growth books with slice of life genre and slow romance would be good too..also revenge genre..plot with headstrong mcs would be good too..survival books like hunger games or gender game or divergent series in gay version would be good..and men in war like historical or present defense system like military or all that..well any book is okay..lets just start..

Along with popular authors and popular books it would be good if we could include books that are from uncommon genres though i can't think of any now..

Let's start the poll and see where it takes us..i am very excited..

Hello guys, I am late again. I feel a bit bad >

There are couple new suggestions here so now the topic we need to decide are :

1. Amount of book/ months [Majority votes right now is 1 book/ months]

------------------------------------------------------------

2. Picking books and theme[ if we decide on it] by voting. [Majority agreed on it]

------------------------------------------------------------

3. Theme : now we have 4 choices 2 more adding from yesterday [ ]

3.1 No theme

3.2 Having Theme [suggested by

]

3.3 Having theme for 4 months and No theme for 4 months [suggested by fan_yaoi]

3.4 Instead of theme pick an author for each month [suggested by

] * I am worry about author who just landed his/her 1st book or have only one or two series

-------------------------------------------------------------

4. when should we start the discussion... right now I can narrow it down to 2 choices []

4.1 Wait for 2 week and then start the discussion all together at week 3rd.

4.2 Discussing since day one, can be about everything related to the book, and put spoiler on when it comes to contents, so you don't accidentally spoil your friends :D Then start serious discussion for whole book together at some point.. 3rd week too maybe ?]

Example for 4.2

Why can't the cover blue..so I can use in my reading challenge !!

I am at chapter 8

what you wanna talk about the book such as : MC A killed MC B :p

-------------------------------------------------------

5. Audio book

I think about at least one month we will pick only from the books that we can get a hand on audio books, so fan_yaoi can enjoy with us, and some of you can try the audio too, but not required. What do you guys think?

--------------------------------------------------------

6. Please kindly suggest all the them that you guys can think of too if you have time. I will collect them for voting >

---------------------------------------------------------

I think these are all we need to decide for now.

yoyo5 I am totally with you in term of Mpreg , but please don't leave me alone..please cheetah7

For me it doesn't matter either way How would it work - do we pick 8 themes now? and then we pick one book based on this theme?

If we decided on theme either half[4 months] or full [ 8 months] I want to vote all of them and get it done before we start 1st book. Also thank you so much for the suggestion for the theme too

thank you so much for joining us. I am so happy and very excited now. I remember you sent me a pm asking for recommendation once..seem like now you are the one who I need to ask for one

Thank you for joining us and think you for your opinions, now you have more to decide ;D I am looking forward to have a nice reading with you guys, about audiobook, I did mention above

you're welcome
and thank you for joining us. I am very excited to talk to you about books too. Also thank you for your opinions. I have already listed everything you mention on the list above and thank you so much for contribute your opinion and suggestion for the theme. Everything were noted. We will talk about all the theme soon.

you're welcome. I am glad to see you here with us, and thank you for your opinions as well, but now seem like we have more to decide >

For you question, the first one is in the 3nd issue that we will need to decide. For the second question, It is totally fine if you missing some months. Also everybody can join us, and it doesn't matter you will do it once in a while, or regularly. If you're busy or really cannot stand to read the book for the month, you can skip that month too, but we would still try to encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and having fun reading and discussing with us tho'. :p

Thank you so much for your valuable opinions. I already add the issue on the list

you're welcome Riki and thank you for joining us. We want to hear you opinion too when you have some time :D

BTW; I guess we will have a Dragon theme :p

thank you for your opinions I already added to the list and the suggestion about the first month and December theme are noted. We will discuss about the theme again soon.

thank you for your opinion. I totally agreed with you about cover. You know I was grown up in Asia, and most of the M/M book there don't have cover that sooo obvious like this ^^' I cannot let anyone see my library anymore >

Thank you for joining us. Please don't worries about the amount of MM book you have read before. Like voide said, we are going to read the book together

So, about topics 3 and 4...

I don't mind to have a voted theme or a voted author. It's fine either way. But "Exhale" by Abernathy made me think... The book is relatively new, right? And it is amazon's bestseller and it's quite the topic, right? It's not like we have something like this every month, so maybe we can have a month for last huge BL-bestseller or something like that? Or, for example, to postpone the next month's theme if there is a new great book published and we all want to read and discuss it?

And I am ok with discussing from day one. Let's just hide spoilers ;)

thank you for the idea! I've never been in a book club and the idea is soo exciting!

and dear sister

, thanks for inviting me in!

I'm ashamed to admit that I couldn't particapate in YOI watch/re-watch sessions, because whenever I have free time I tend to go for books :( But the book club means I'm very totally in :)

- I am alright with 1 book per month.. (This way I can still have time for my current obsessions xD)

- I agree with

about author-based readings.. It might be a good chance for us to discover those we haven't read before. If we like what we read, we can move on their next book and if not, we can always find a new one.

As for suggestions if we go for author-based one I wanted to try Victoria Sue and her Enhanced series. And if we go for themes, I can read anything unless they are heavy-bdsm or have heavy graphic-violence. I can suggest, enemies-turn-lovers, young adult, historical (

plizz dont hate me :)) and stories set in winter (I currently have a thing for this) :)

edit: oh right,

the bestsellers/hot topics is also a good idea :)

Also about how to discuss the books, I vote for 4.1. It might be hard sometimes when people start to discuss it already and you are late to the party :)

i just see a solution here. we can go w fan_yaoi's suggestion: 4 months w theme. 4 months w no theme. the no theme months we can replace them w reading books by selected authors or best seller's books like

suggested. these 4 months we can do it alternately as well.

what do you think, secretary? :D

ps: even tho i'm actually a picky guy, i think i can read almost anything tbh. including mpreg & tentacles hehee.. the most avoided theme so far for me is rape. yeah..

I like the idea with having to switch between themes and authors. Bestsellees and hotpicks would fall under theme, right? Then having a month specifically for audiobooks is good too even if we are free to read and use audiobook in the other months too. And for our first read, I think something light-hearted would be best. And I like the idea about having a Christmas themed book during december XD It may also be possible to have holiday themed reads. :D

Hello to you too and nice to meet you! :)

[i saw you in a few threads 'tho I'm not making an appearance in those n_n"]

Thank you for your answers :)

3. I'm neutral. Although I think it will be easier to have theme of the month for members who really can't stand some topics so that they can avoid 'the month'.

But 3.3 is also intriguing. Hmm...

4. I choose 4.2 because I tend to forget easily some parts I find uninteresting but others find intriguing, especially when I've already moved on to next book. So I might disconnect with others when talking about specific scene.

Btw, are you actually asking for vote?

Because now when I read it again you don't really state it. :cuteonion46:

For 1 & 2 its fine i think

For number 3-

How about genre for one month and author for the next month..i think 4 month time period might be long so maybe we can alternate monthly? its just a suggestion..and i am fine with anything

For number 4- i like 4.2..because i like discussing about books before reading, while reading and after reading also...and i believe knowing different perspective can make a plot interesting that didn't seem interesting before..its the same experience as reading a book twice and noticing things one didn't notice before..i even read goodreads spoiler comment about a book to get ideas about the book..

And audio books of course yes..

But these are only opinions and i am fine with what majority decides

By the way Racheal i am from a south asian conservative muslim country and from a muslim family as well..if my parents ever go through my laptop they will probably disown me..

Btw, are you actually asking for vote?

Because now when I read it again you don't really state it. :cuteonion46:

We will properly vote for the themes and the book titles later, but for the rules and how our book club should be. I will just keep tracking you guys comments and list them once a day like I am doing now, so we can listen to everybody opinions, and shaping our idea together that why I don't want to use poll in this regard. I think by the middle to the end of next week we should be able to established most of the rules and how we want to run our book club, and then move on to the theme and the book itself. I have been taking note of all the suggestions about themes, but don't want to go there yet.

------------------------------------------

For your opinions and suggestion from all of you I will list them and answer the questions at the end of [my] day like I have been doing

I like most of the ideas so far. Maybe we can di as

suggests?

2 months of each theme, author, bestseller and no theme??

Audiobook quite interesting, I've only listened to it once ( Cmbyn with Armie Hammer dreamy voice :D) and like

, I'll need the book too, otherwise I won't understand completely

Other themes that I like to suggest is little to no sex book ( most of great books that I read contains little to no sex, so I like to read more of it and have recommendations if anyone know any?)

Incest, daddy kink, and age gaps are also a favorite.

For Authors I like to nominate Eli Easton, Cara Dee and TJ Klune

Hie everyone!!

this club really is a great idea!!

My 2 cents

I agree with 1, 2, 3.2, i like 4.2 best, 5 (havent really tried audiobooks before so im willing to try that out), and 6 :) :)

i like

's point about the authors, it would also help us to discover new favourites or try someone different. I tend to stick to authors i know and love only, so im hoping to discover new authors from all you lovely people :) Maybe a rotation of theme and author would work also

as for genres/themes il read anything, though not much of a fan of Historical or erotica (the ones that are without plot or the plot is an afterthought, i will enjoy it better if it has a plot ;) )

I like to add my thoughts on case no. 4

I understand

feeling, I have that too. We want to discuss it right away otherwise we forget about it when we move on to other book.

But on the other hand, I don't like interrupting on going on discussion, I will feel that what I like to add already discussed anyway, I can't said anymore.

It's not that I want us to wait until middle of the month to start discussions, we can start with the general things first (the cover, the author, what you've heard about the books, the synopsis you've read) but not really the content and what going on in the book ( I know

just gives examples but please please never mention who killed whom or who's died even inside a spoiler, I know I'll be curious and open it and it will ruin it for me)

So maybe if you know you can read fast, you start reading the book on the second week of the month, and we all can go on in depth discussion on the 3rd?

ooook too much information but luckily we have the very best secretary! XD

so let's see... already agreed on 1 and 2

-for number 3 i'm for the rotation idea, maybe something like this:

june: theme

july: author

aug: free choice

sept: theme

oct: special -->halloween theme

nov: author

dec: special-->christmas theme

jan: free choice

feb: theme

mar: author

apr: free choice/special-->easter theme

etc.

in short a rotation between theme-author-free with the special holiday in between (thanks

for that idea)

-for number 4, i think 4.2 is best. i would so like to chat while i'm still reading so i can make all the conjecture i want on what i think will happen next! (or stupid thing like what the heck does that cover have to do with the book?! XD) and of course when the book is finished all i think about it (critique, in deep discussion, omg how funny it was, thing i really didn't expect, world building, omg how sexy the guys was, etc) =P so all discussion from before -in reading- and post are good!!

-number 5, like i said if i have the writed book also i see no problem! on the contrary it could be really nice =)

-now for number 6! i will say i must be the only one that thought theme meant thing like fantasy, sci-fi,romance,adeventure etc. XP (but yeah those are genres)

so now that i understood let's have some fun! it will be a long list XD

-since

mentioned it DRAGON!!!

-shifter, vampire, alien, zombie etc... the general one you know

-bdsm

-threesome! but with a good story(there is a peculiar 1 from suida i still have to read!)

-necromancer, because yeah

-Straigh to gay/gay for you

-books with serious theme

-dark romance/or just dark one

-hilarious book

-mystery/detective/crime novel

-revenge

-kidnapping

-fantasy/supernatural (a genre still count as a theme!)

-young adult

-crossdress

-in deep about/or with MC who is bisexual, transgender, fluid, pansexual, demisexual etc ( i really don't know all the term) i found one with bisexual pg one time (and crossdressing one), really good book, and it made me think, seeing some things in a new light. so i'm curious about the others.

Also i'm in the anti-Mpreg fanclub like

and
so while the others could think of that as a theme i will probably be out for that month. or i will try it just for discussion sake but...we will see

as for author (that i recommend): Tara Lain, Megan derr, cari z., t.j. knune, jordan l. hawk, n.r. walker, s.j. himes, nicole castle, santino hassell

(that i want to try) t.c.orton, c. s. pacat, mary calmes, nora sakavik, anyta sunday, tere michaels, k.a. merikan ...and more to come, i don't remember them now XP

ok i think i made a really too long post so i better stop now ^^' bye bye

here's my respond to

's:

1. amount of book: i agreed w 1 book/month

2. voting book by poll: agreed

3. theme: i already voiced my suggestion lol

4. discussion: i'm lean on 4.2 actually based on the same ground as

&
. & me even worst, i tend to forget names/plot easily. continuous discussion will help me refresh stuff & i liked that.

5. audiobook: yesss hehee.. (i can experienced BLCD in a different level lmao)

6. types of genres/themes: i'll let other readers came up w this one. i'll agreed w anything. also,

, may i suggest? if you have the list later, you can pick which one to start by using random number generator.

_____

ps:

- about book's cover. what format do you usually read? if it's pdf, then i can't help you buddy. bc it can show cover if i'm not mistaken. but if it's epub & you're using computer/laptop, that wouldn't be a problem hehee.. oh geez.. i'm not helping. yeah, maybe
has a solution yoo

Honestly I didn't read this thread thoroughly, I am terrible like that. Ermm I will go with what Astiara and Voide posted above. I will add alongside with mpreg the theme 'Tentacles' as a no go for me. Thank you very much.

(;

Honestly I didn't read this thread thoroughly, I am terrible like that. Ermm I will go with what Astiara and Voide posted above. I will add alongside with mpreg the theme 'Tentacles' as a no go for me. Thank you very much.
(;

I want to agree with tentacles as a no-go :8onion74:

ahah I'm just here for 2 minutes tonight, so I will answer properly tomorrow, but can I just say

&
that you must have just not read the right Tentacles book? Some can be very nice.. and there are a few that are even fluffy & romantic....mm..^^

or I'm simply a pervert. That could be the case too xD