Book Recommendations with Interesting Leads

Sanka

I finished "Wolfsong" a while ago and really enjoyed the character of Ox (in the beginning at least). I won't get too into it because that's a book review for another thread lol. But I'm basically searching for dynamic and engaging characters that don't fit the normal 'romance' or 'yaoi' mold. Of course, within realistic guidelines.

I'm not a fan of overtly angry or emotional characters- unless that's part of their charm, like they have a short temper or have anger issues.

So yeah. Just post your favorite BL novel character with the novel name.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• auser

• voide

• Jochie

• Sanka

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Vincent from Spy vs Spook by Tinnean,

He's the man Man, the ultimate alpha. If I have to choose one from all characters that I've read, then it would be him. He know what he want and how to get it and deal with the consequences. I'm completely, helplessly in love with this character :D

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
thank you! I'll download it and read it for sure. I'll let you know what I think when I'm done. :)

wait

, ignore my comment at another thread.. I found where I saw your rec!! (actually, scratch that - don't ignore my comment, it will probably break my heart!;)

you finished Wolfsong?! yay!!! I would love to hear your thoughts! I take it, you didn't like Ox as much at the end as you did at the beginning?

As for the theme of this thread, I'm going to go with the first book in Holmes & Morirarty series by Josh Lanyon "Somebody killed his editor" (thank you, oh awesome

.;).. the main character is so much fun to read about, I adore him! Also, he is not a super fit super perfect & beautiful kind of guy, which was also refreshing!

"Rule Breaker" has a fun protagonist, even if for some it might feel like a bit too much. I enjoyed it tho:)

"Hell & High Water" tries REALLY hard to have a snarky & cool & funny & a bit awkward MC. I hated the book for forcing it so hard, but based on the rating, I'm alone at this. So you might want to give it a try?

so yeah.. if I come across any more cool & interesting ones, than I will let you know.

i'm not sure what to recommend to be honest. as far as i know, at least all MM books i've read so far have that 'yaoi' kind of character vibes in it. if you want something different, maybe you should read gay literature? they distinguished in characterisation & plot i guess.

haha yeah I finished it. Ok, so, I was really excited and pumped about Oxs character in the beginning because I fucking love that type of character- where their appearance doesn't match their personality (is that what they call moe gap lol). Ox had the potential to be such a unique and interesting character but I felt like the author didn't keep up with the consistency of his characterization. I realize that character development exists and that means he has to change when he gets older, but it just felt like his personality did a 180. I still liked his character and enjoyed the story, I was just disappointed by how it had ended up. Also some parts made me feel like I was reading a fanfiction more than a novel and that kind of broke the illusion for me (the scene where he asks Oxs mom for his hand in marriage). Don't get me wrong, Wolfsong is an amazing novel, it just has the potential to be better than just amazing.

hmm I mean I'm not really sure where I would begin looking. It's an interesting distinction you pointed out. When you say mxm do you mean no sex scenes? Does a "yaoi" novel lean more towards PWP? Honestly, I think that there isn't really a lot of gay literature to begin with so I've never been able to tell the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Sorry voide, I just saw the post where you said you didn't know. I'll google it! Thanks anyways.

i saw a blog post talked about this. they distinguished MM & gay literature. i didn't bookmarked the post tho. imo tho, gay lit are books featuring gay men & not necessarily have a constant pair of couples & sex scenes. they might consists of a gay man lifestyle/struggle/challenges in a serious manners? the sex scenes were not always explicit (maybe a little but not like MM/yaoi with dicks & holes & lubes etc. haha) & it feels like gay lit always have heavy issues. they explored more on emotion not always romance. some of the books i think falls into gay lit: the charioteer, giovanni's room, call me by your name, a single man, wingmen, comfort & joy

hope that helps

I can definitely see what you mean - I was also wondering what was the point of Ox's change of personality.. if I'm honest, while I was reading the first chapters I was sure that Ox had some development problems, (and I was even speculating what it was & if it's ever going to get revealed why he is the way he is), but then he just became.. normal, I guess, an eloquent, smart & pretty good at everything he used to be bad at.. so yeah. Still, the book is soo good, I kind of brushed it off:D

• 2 years later...