Call Me By Your Name (The Film)

iheartyokozawa

so my pretties...

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
& anyone who is interested in this lovely book :)

most of us have been raving about the

& got our hearts broken & guts wrenched out by the beautiful book (or we just love beautiful movies with hot men pining for each other), so now....... has everyone seen the film?

if yes, how has it lived up to or let down your expectations? likey... no likey? over-hyped or underwhelmed?

for me, i was a little underwhelmed by the movie. i've read the book so i could connect the dots but the film felt a little disjointed in certain parts.

as a standalone, i enjoyed it... what is there NOT to like?

1. the setting - a quaint little italian town... i want to spend time there, cycle around the countryside, read in the cafe in the piazza, dip my toes in the lake... ahhhhhhh, amoreeeeeee!!!

2. timothee chalamet is a total minx who walks around half-dressed most of the movie (yummmmmmmm) & this is HIS movie! it's a nice quiet performance for me throughout cause it's just nice, he doesn't "over-perform" it. the last scene could easily have been one of those "phone booth" scenes where he'd be crying out loud with snots coming out & over-the-top theatrics... but it's a quiet pain.

what didn't work for me though was that i felt the two leads lack the explosive chemistry i get from the book. in the book, for me, both of them are complicit in the "wooing" of each other, playing this very aggressive push-pull game. it didn't feel that from the film & for me, that is one of the vital element of the book.

my 3 fav scenes:

1. the scene after elio confesses & they are lying on the grass & ollie puts his finger in elio's mouth, & then elio - my beautiful seductive little minx - licks & jumps on ollie.

2. mama elio reading a german book to elio & papa elio, with elio lying on her lap & the 3 of them talking about the book... it's such a nice snapshot of the kind of family they are.

3. elio & papa elio scene towards the end... the most beautiful scene for me of the film.

finally....... soooooo, now we have a visual for our peach scene! i dunno, man... i am kinda...... disappointed.

tell me what you guys think because i'm sure we all have different views of what we saw ;)

but what remains from this & the book....... elio has my heart

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Orient

• Jochie

• iheartyokozawa

• voide

buddy, i'm satisfied that peaches even featured in this movie. i can't complaint enough. i liked #2 scene too! mama elio reading in german was soo good! overall, i think this was okay. for me it intensified the feelings ya feel? haha.. timothee was delicious wasn't he? 11/10 i will give this movie hehe..

I love this story, it's been a while since I cried from watching a movie. I honestly didn't remember when the last time that happened. But that last scene really make me weep. And when I tried to listen to the soundtrack this morning my eyes leaking again.

I like the scene where Oliver and elio father looking at the slide show of the statues and elio father comment make him realize that is okay to give in to his desires.

And the scene when they're in the bedroom and the door closed with hard noise, elio reactions was so funny

Sadly, I live in a shitty country where the movie will be in theaters on 2nd March 2018! So I didn't watch it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the book twice before I saw the movie and I think that the tone in the movie compared to the tone in the book was different. I think Elio and Oliver had great chemistry, but I think it was just how the most emotional and intense scenes such as the phone call from Oliver and the sex scene were downplayed. The movie Elio didn't seem as expressive as the novel Elio. I think some of the emotional scenes after Oliver and Elio were closer were put as lighthearted.

As for the peach scene, I think the director did the best adaptation of the scene. My main issue was not showing the sex scene between Elio and Oliver.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't believe that this movie was released in our country (though with very, very limited screenings..I think only for 3 days??) I wasn't able to watch this because I'm currently jobless and decided to just download the movie. I feel that this is going to be a little bittersweet, judging by the trailer but my body is prepared, tissues ready and all! :Wink:

4 nominations in BAFTA!!

- film

- leading actor

- director

- adopted screenplay

Do you 5hink an6 chance for OSCAR?

The pretties...

I've seen the others Oscar nominated film and sadly I have to admit they're better than Cmbyn

But I think they have a good chance to win Original Song award. Mystery of love just too beautiful to not win it

haha gotta agree w jochie here, buddy. but then again, unexpected thing could happen. so why not. have you watched it yet? they were 'hot & sweaty' that's why they're kinda half naked most of the time? no? :D

I saw the Oscar nominations too!!

I don't know, for some reason I feel like the movie will get at least one award. Maybe hoping for Timothee to get the prize for best actor is just wishful thinking, but at least for best adaptation? :D

You guys will hate me but I am not a fan of the movie and was actually surprised that it even made it to the Oscar nominations. But winning any... nah I don't think so. Wish it good luck tho.

hurray

you've finally seen it! hahahah, **fistbump** on that :)

hard not to compare it to a little movie from last year's award season with the same theme... Moonlight.

they are different movies but they are both queer-centric; Moonlight works for me emotionally, while CMBYN doesn't.

i know you & i both loooooved tovarisch armie in Man From Uncle, but here, i think another actor would be a better fit as ollie.

wellllll, i am very happy that people are reading the book (yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!) & the movie is getting lotsa love :)

honestly, i really think there's something the matter with this screenwriter (haven't gotten over my hate for Maurice, the movie).

as for bafta & oscars... gary oldman's gonna bag it :p a bit off topic, but have you guys followed oldman's career?

i totally love him!!! from all the over the top psycho villains earlier in his career to the totally 180 degrees subtlety in nolan's Batman trilogy & Tinker Tailor... he is spades

i'm not a fan of "loud" obvious oscar-baiting performances like Darkest Hour (how to win awards rule 8: prosthetics prosthetics prosthetics + rule 3: play real-life people), but the statuettes are his for the losing ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
They won one Oscar!!!!

surprise for me too!!!!

, so agree with the rules of Oscar annnnnd Mr Oldman is 5ever!

• 2 months later...

I saw this movie a few months ago. I thought the acting was superb! The setting, scenes, the whole atmosphere of the movie really takes you back to 80s Italy, it's a really gorgeous place.

For me the main character Elio just embodies what it's like to be a teenager in love, scary, confusing, undeniable attraction.

And then there's Oliver, who just seems so comfortable in his own skin it's infuriating! But he's a real sweetheart deep down.

I listened to the audiobook. It was interesting because you can really get inside Elio's head whereas in the movie you're only seeing events unfold. The last chapter or 2 talks about some events which the movie didn't include, Elio and Oliver getting older, how their lives pan out. It had me bawling like a baby. ^^"