The Swimmer and the Manager

phmmoura

Hi everyone. I wrote a new BL web novel and I'd like to share it here.

Description: The Prado Maranhão Aquatic Sport Club, a place where those who aim at the top of the water sports gather. Nelson, once called the future of Brazil's swim, is near the end of his recovery after a serious accident that almost costed his life. But with the beginning of the new Olympic cycle, he needs to show he can swim at the same level, or his contract might not get renew. To his surprise, the club assigned him a manager to help him on his recovery. And the surprises don't stop there, since the new manager is a boy.

Update: Every Thursday

the-swimmer-and-the-manager.png?w=261

Chapter 1

Nelson heard the words with a blank expression. But as he understood what they meant, he tried to control his urge to smile.

“Are you sure this time, doctor?” he asked, not letting his excitement leak out. If he did, there was no way he could bear coming back here in the case the doctor wasn’t right. Again.

“Yes. This time I’m confident. I know you’re trying to not let the joy go over your head, but from my point of view, you’re cured. You can see the swelling completely is gone and the joint movement is back to what it was. The pain you said it’s normal. You can’t get back to what you did before right away,” the doctor said with a gentle smile. “Today’s the last day we’ll see each other. Hopefully for a long time.”

Without realizing, he was holding his breath. But with the physiotherapist’s words, Nelson let out a sigh of relief. He didn’t try to suppress his smile anymore. “Thank you so much, doctor.”

The man laughed. “You have the MRI exam tomorrow, so I want you don’t go rushing back in the pool right away,” he said with a concerned expression, but then he added, “but I’m sure you’ll be soon back on the water and win us many medals.”

He thanked the man once more, shook his hands and left the room as another patient walked in. Nelson pulled his phone and smiled when he saw texts from his friend and family. But as he was about to write back, his fingers stopped. It’s best if I wait… If I tell them I’m cured and find out I’m not… I can’t see those faces… not again…

With a deep breath, he wrote to his parents first. I just got out of physiotherapy. I have an MRI exam tomorrow to check if I’m cured. He considered adding the doctor’s opinion, but Nelson decided not. After writing the same thing to his friends, he put the phone back in his pocket.

When the phone vibrated, a warm smile appeared on his lips. But he didn’t read the messages. Nelson walked out of the Prado Maranhão club’s medical department, a huge four-story building, to the park. He sat on a bench and watched the club members relaxing or doing some out of water exercises. Nelson recognized most people and waved back when they realized him sitting there. To his luck, no one came to talk to him. He knew the subject of his injury would come up and he couldn’t deal with their optimistic, even if they meant him well.

This time he pulled his phone when it vibrated again. Everything will be fine, son. Your father and I are praying for you, his mother wrote. You’ll be okay, you’ll see. I’ll be seeing you with a medal this year, his father replied. Great. As I expected. Now we can finally compete again, his friend replied. And many other like those.

Feeling better, Nelson headed back to the dormitory complex. But he didn’t go back right away. He took the long distance, walking by the many gyms and pools. Without realizing, he his feet took him to the pool he used the most before his accident.

With no one around, he walked around the pool, watching the still waters with an empty expression. I’ve been in the water since the accident, but now it won’t be for hydrotherapy. It’ll be the for real. For a training… for competition, he realized, the excitement filling him. After months, I can finally go back.

Though it was within the club, it took him almost fifteen minutes to get to the dormitories. He was tired when arrived. I didn’t think I’d be this out of shape, he thought with a thin smile as he stood before the four buildings that housed over a thousand athletes ranging from many divisions from almost all water sports.

Even from the entrance, he could hear a faint music coming from the boy’s side. They’re just getting away ‘cause almost everyone’s in London right now, Nelson thought, pulling his access card. There’s no way the higher-ups would let a party on a Thursday go by.

“There you are,” a familiar voice spoke. When he turned, he saw his friend, Marcelo, walking with three six-packs of beers. “I was thinking you wouldn’t come. Help me with this.”

“Come to what?” Nelson got one of the six pack and asked.

“The start of the new cycle,” he said as if obvious.

Everyone greeted them when they walked into the common room. There was a TV in the back showing the highlights of today’s event of the Brazilian’s athletes, but since it wasn’t about the swimming delegation, it was muted.

After he talked to his friend and acquaintances, Nelson grabbed a beer and sat on the couch.

“So hey man, tell me. I know there was something you’re hiding,” Marcelo asked in a low voice, tough with all the music, dancing and fun around, there was no one paying attention to them.

“He said he’s certain that I’m cured,” Nelson said.

Marcelo watched his friend’s face for a moment. Then he drank his beer. “But you don’t wanna celebrate before knowing for sure.”

“Yeah…”

“Since I know you, I won’t say don’t worry. Instead, I’ll tell you to relax and since you can’t do anything about it, let tomorrow’s worries be to the future you.”

Nelson laughed. “You always say that.”

“And it always helps,” Marcelo said, clinking his beer to Nelson’s. “But come on. The pools were getting boring without you.”

“Yeah, right. Without me you could finally win some medals,” Nelson said with a smirk.

Marcelo punched him on the arm. “Even with you there, I always got the medals.”

“So much Bronze I’d say your room hasn’t reached the metal age yet.”

The people around them laughed. “You’re an ass, you know that?”

“Thanks,” Nelson said, laughing with everyone else.

“When is your exam?”

“Tomorrow morning.”

“Are your parents coming?”

“They have work. And I don’t wanna bother them.”

They stayed in silence for a while. Nelson finished his beer, but didn’t get another.

“Don’t worry, man. You have luck on your side. Not only you got better earlier than everyone expected. That’s why the club hasn’t given up on you.”

Nelson ran a hand over his face. “Yeah, I’ll admit that got me worried.” Ever since the accident, he had been away from the pools. He knew he would get better, but that didn’t make the worry about the club.

His contract was until next year’s World Aquatics Championships. But that was only after the Olympics. After the accident, the club helped and supported him, but no one talked anything about his contract. They wouldn’t abandon him, he was sure of. But if he didn’t produce the same or at least near results pre-accident, they might not renew his contract for the next Olympic cycle. Especially now that I’m no longer on the youth’s division

“Don’t be like that, man. They have faith in you. Aren’t you receiving a new manager?”

“Yeah… But that was unexpected,” he said in a low voice. “Especially after everything.”

“It wasn’t your fault. Neither was hers. It was an accident,” his friend and rival said with a serious expression. “What’s the name of your new manager anyway?”

“Cris,” Nelson said at once, leaning back on the sofa. “Cris… Prado Maranhão.”

As he expected, Marcelo’s face was filled with surprise. “Holy shit. For real? Someone from the Family?”

“I couldn’t believe either.”

“Fuck you man. You should be thrilled. It means the club’s really betting on you. Wow man… someone from the family…” Marcelo’s surprise gave room to his smile full of meaning. “And given your history with the two previous managers, maybe they’re planning to make you a family member as well.”

“Shut up, dude. I’m not a kid anymore. I can’t be getting involved with my manager… again. I need to focus, otherwise I…” he left the sentence on the air.

“Sure, sure.” Marcelo smiled and nodded. “Just to make sure, our bet is still on.”

“What bet?” another voice joined in their conversation.

Nelson and Marcelo looked up. A girl with shoulder length hair wearing short shorts, black knee high socks and simple T-shirt and a jacket stood near them.

“You don’t know about this guy’s reputation?” Marcelo smiled and moved on the couch to make room for the girl. The girl sat and smiled too. “I betted him 50 bucks he’ll fall in love with his new manager too.”

“Too?” the girl tilted her head. “Did he fall for the last one?”

“Yeah. He’s known for that. My best friend and rival fell in love with his previous managers.”

“Managers? Plural? Really?” The girl turned to Nelson, narrowed her eyes and smiled at him. “I’ve heard a thing or two about this, but didn’t think it was true. Maybe it’ll make things more interesting.”

“Don’t get me wrong. He’s not a player that goes around hitting on managers. No, no, my boy here is one of those hopeless romantic guys that really fell in love with those girls.”

“I know it may be hard, but could you tried to shut up for once?” Nelson said, his cheeks red. He glanced at the girl, who was still smiling at him. “I’m sorry for my stupid friend. He won’t rest until he’s ruined my reputation.”

“I’m just telling the truth,” Marcelo said, shrugging his shoulders.

“And I told you I don’t have time for that. I need to focus,” Nelson replied, shaking his head.

“You said the exact thing last time.” Marcelo showed an annoying smug. “But ok, ok. I won’t bring the past. But that doesn’t mean you’re skipping on our bet.”

“I don’t think it’ll be that easy for you to make 50 bucks,” the girl said. They both turned to her.

“Ah, don’t say that,” Marcelo shook his head in fake surprise. “Why do you think that? Do you know the girl?”

“Before I answer, I have something to ask. Can I get in on the bet?”

Marcelo laughed and Nelson scowled. I don’t even know her and she already thinks that about me…

“Sure, no problem. The more the merrier. Then why you think it won’t be easy?”

“’cause I’m not that easy,” she said with a sly smile. “And I’m a boy.”

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phmmoura

Chapter 02

“I’m dead,” Mari said, sitting on the couch next to Cris. She let out a huge sigh and leaned back.

“What happened?” Cris asked without taking his eyes from his phone.

“Nothing, just this huge job.” She rubbed her eyes. “I thought the Olympics meant vacation for those who didn’t go.”

Cris snorted. “If grandma hears this, you’ll get a huge lecture.”

“Shut your mouth,” she said, pushing Cris with her leg. “What are you doing here, little cousin?”

“Waiting for dad to bring me a file.”

“Oh yeah. They’re assigning a new athlete to you. What’s his name?”

“Nelson,” Cris answered. He searched the name on the internet and showed a news with a photo. “I don’t know anything about him, but this is the guy I’ll be managing.”

In what seemed like a huge effort, Mari moved closer to her cousin. When she saw the photo, she took the phone from his hands. “Wow, he’s hot!”

“Can’t deny that,” Cris said, pulling his phone back with a smile.

“Ah, ah,” Mari sighed and leaned back on her seat. “I’m so jealous. When I was a manager, I never took care of a hot guy. The most memorable one was that girl who could break me like a twig.”

“Oh yeah. I remember her.” Cris laughed and put the phone away. “Anyway, from what I heard, he’s a good guy. I deserve someone like this after that girl. And dad already warned me to not go overboard. Especially after that guy…”

“He was worried about you. We all were, but uncle… I had never seen him so furious…”

“Is that so?” Cris tried to keep his expression neutral, but it was hard to keep his smile under check.

“Hey, show me that pic again.” When her cousin pulled the phone and showed to her, Mari widened her eyes. “Is this Nelson the one from that car crash?” Cris nodded and Mari whistled. “Assigning you someone who hasn’t been in the pool for so long…”

“Yeah… No pressure at all on us,” Cris said with a weak and hollow laugh.

“That has to be grandma’s doing. I’ll bet she has expectation that you can help him.”

“You know what? It’s amazing you managed to say that with so much sincerity. For a moment I almost believed in you.”

“You know me. Always sincere.” Mari smiled.

“More like always making people uncomfortable.”

Mari opened her mouth to reply, but before she could say anything else, a voice echoed through the living room.

“But Grandma! That’s not fair!” their cousin’s voice echoed from the corridor.

“Speaking of the devil,” Cris muttered as a girl came trailing after their grandma. Mari sniggered and covered as a cough.

“My decision is final,” the old woman said in a dignified manner to the girl. The girl ran and stood before the grandma.

“Please, listen to me! It wasn’t my fault! Can’t you just—”

“I had warned you. More than once,” the woman interrupted her granddaughter with an icy voice. She stood to her full height, and on the heels, she towered the girl. “Your performance has been mediocre, at best, and you never listened to your superior’s feedback. You were late several times and even chose to ignore when your father told you not to go to that party yesterday.”

“I was just celebrating after a hard exam.”

“You missed your work for no decent reason. You’re no longer an intern at our clinics.”

“Please, grandma! How do you think it’ll look when people see I was fired from an internship at my own family’s clinic?”

“You should’ve thought about that before. You didn’t take college nor the internship seriously just because you assumed we would do something for the family.”

“Please, grandma. Can’t you give me a second chance?”

“We gave. And you wasted it. I’ll tell you this, again. The Prado Maranhão family got where it is because everyone worked hard. Even if it’s family, we won’t tolerate anyone who’s doing a mediocre job and has no intention of improving.” The woman walked away, leaving the young one crying.

Their grandma walked towards where Cris and Mari were. Without realizing, they both sat straight and waited in silence until she spoke.

“Marina, how was the preparations?”

“All done, grandma. I’ve done the makeup of the synchronized swimming teams and they went to the photo shooting moments ago.”

“Excellent. Those girls are talented, but they need more confidence. The photo shooting and the joint training with the American sub-15 team will help,” the grandma said with an approving nod. “I’m really glad Marla suggested that.”

“Yes. Ford coach said the same thing. And told me to send you a hug.”

“I’ll talk to her as soon as I can. She’s a good friend.” Grandma showed a gentle smile. Then she turned to her grandson. “And Cris?”

“Yes?” The boy gulped when he met her eyes and the smile vanished.

“You’ll be managing Nelson Cieller as of tomorrow.” It wasn’t a question. “There’re expectations that he’ll get back soon. That boy has some talent, but we don’t know how he is after the accident. His national score is terrible after almost a year out of the competitions. It’s possible he might not go to the World Aquatics Championships next year.”

“Wait, but is his contract until—”

“Yes, until the Championship. But if he doesn’t qualify, the contract will be terminated. I’d like to keep him, but he needs to show he can swim at the same level. I expect you’ll help with the seriousness of the situation and dignity of your name,” she said before leaving.

They stayed in silence until the head of the family was completely out of earshot.

“Ouch. Always harsh with the worlds, our grandma,” Mari said, shaking her head.

“I don’t know why they made me manage him…” Cris leaned back on the couch and rubbed his eyes. “He should be assigned to a real manager. Someone who can really help him… Or maybe, despite grandma’s word, the border doesn’t really have any more expectations on him… or me…”

Mari stared at her cousin for a long time before took a deep breath and standing up. “Then it’s up to him to show they’re wrong. You’ll help him and show that he’s still the prodigy boy.”

“Yeah…” Cris stared at nothing, not noticing his cousin had stood up. “But I don’t even know if he hasn’t given up yet… how many times we’ve had athletes giving up after such injury?

“Come, little cousin,” she said, slapping him on the knee. He looked up at her and then she pulled him. “Talking about it won’t help. Instead of thinking by yourself, how about meet him and see it for yourself?”

“Tonight?”

“Yeah… don’t tell your dad, but they athletes are having a party today in the boy’s dormitory. I’m pretty sure he’ll be there.”

Cris wondered for a while. “Guess you’re right. I’d like to see if he’s gonna give his all to go to the WAC.”

“Great!” Mari smiled and started leading Cris. “Then we should go shopping!”

Cris looked puzzled “Huh? Why?”

“It’s to celebrate your new start,” she said full of enthusiasm. When Cris didn’t show the same, she added, “you need to give him a good impression. Yes, that right!”

Cris looked at her with an empty expression. But then he sighed and smiled. “That must be one of the lamest excuses you’ve used to drag me to the mall. But I do need a new swimsuit.”

“What? Already? Didn’t you buy one like two months ago?”

“It already needs some patching,” Cris said, emphasizing the word.

“And how come a new swimsuit already has holes in it?” Mari narrowed her eyes, but there was an understanding smile on her lips.

“Normal wear and tear,” Cris said, shrugging his shoulders with a sly smile.

“Cousin, I’m starting to believe you’re the one with the fetish.” Mari showed an expression as if she had suddenly understood. “It’s hard to believe every guy you hook up wants to sleep with you only if you year a girl’s swimsuit.”

“After so many years in this world, I’ve learned sometimes is best to say nothing.” Cris looked at her and then they both laughed a moment later.

“Before we go, let me do your makeup.”

“Why would I need makeup to go shopping?”

“’Cause I’m still in work mode,” Mari said enthusiastically, dragging him to dressing room she used to work.

Cris sighed and let himself be dragged. They reached the room and she made him sit on the chair before the huge mirror. He leaned closer so she could put on the lipstick. “I can’t believe I let you do this ever since we were kids.”

“Oh, stop it. Like you don’t like it.”

“Getting used to it doesn’t mean that I like it,” Cris lied.

“So you’re telling me you don’t like looking cute to go meet a new boy?”

“Hurry up and finish.”

“Yes, yes,” Mari said, humming as she worked.

Chapter 03

“What? You’re a guy?” Marcelo exclaimed. He covered his mouth, looked the boy from head to toe and then laughed. But when Nelson held the open palm, the smile vanished. He clicked his tongue and pulled his wallet. “Damn. Just lost 50 bucks… I was so sure that was easy money.” He sighed and shook his head. “So you’re Cris Prado Maranhão, huh?”

“Yep, Cristiano Prado Maranhão, but you can call me Cris. It’s nice to meet you. And sorry for the bet,” the boy said to Marcelo, still smiling. He then turned to Nelson with a serious expression. “As of today, actually tomorrow, I’ll be your personal manager.”

“Please to meet you,” Nelson said. “Hope we get along.”

“I’ll leave you two alone to start the partnership bonding or whatever,” Marcelo said and walked away with a disappointed expression, mumbling something that sounded a lot like 50 bucks.

Cris’ expression softened with a smile as he moved on the couch to sit right in front of Nelson. “You’re welcome for that money,” he said, eyeing the note with the Jaguar.

Nelson looked between the note and the boy and chuckled. He pulled his wallet to put the money away. “Thanks for this. Easiest money I’ve ever made. I’ll treat you something.”

“Yay.” Cris’ his smile broadened. The next second, the smile turned sly. “But aren’t you too confident?”

“Huh? Confident in what?”

“That you won’t fall for me.” Nelson showed a puzzled look. “You’re not the first man who said that wouldn’t fall for me,” he added.

Nelson opened his mouth and then closed it, not sure how to respond. He leaned back on the couch and stared at the smiling boy. “Is that so? How did it end?”

“In the best way possible.” Cris showed his tongue in a mischievous way.

After a moment of silence, Nelson smiled and chuckled. “Good for you, I guess. But even with your record, I’m confident I won’t fall in love with you.”

“’cause you’re not into guys? I’ve heard that before too. More than once.”

“There’s that too,” Nelson answered. “But even if I was, or even if you were a girl, I’d do my best to not fall for anyone. Right now, I need to give my all in my goal.”

“So you’re one of those who says romance gets in the way of swimming, huh?”

“That’s… not the best way to say.”

“But it’s the truth, right?” Cris said, shrugging his shoulders. “I’ve managed people like you before. Hope you don’t go blaming me if you don’t get the results you expect.”

“Don’t worry. I’m not one of those crybabies,” Nelson said, chuckling. Then his smile vanished and his expression turned serious. “But for real, it’s more like I can’t lose focus. Not after everything…”

“Your accident…”

“Yeah…” The party went on, no one noticing the two men in silence. “I need to recover the lost time. If I waste even a second, I might lose this opportunity of a lifetime,” he said, opening his arms to indicate everything.

“Recover lost time. Waste even a second,” Cris repeated the words, shaking his head. “I really don’t get swimmers. Aren’t you, like, barely 18? You’re the same age as me, but you talk you’re your life is almost ending. Enjoying being young isn’t wasting time.”

Nelson smile. How many times I’ve heard that before? “I get what you mean, but I don’t think giving my all on the pool is wasting time,” he said. “I think that… maybe I can make into history… leave my mark…”

Cris stared at the boy with a puzzled look. “Guess that’s something you’d want to bet your youth… Still, I don’t get you guys. I’d rather fall in love than to be in a pool for hours and hours.”

This time Nelson laughed. It even attracted some people’s attention. “That coming from a Prado Maranhão seems too strange.”

“I’m not like them,” Cris said abruptly in a hard and low voice as he stared Nelson. The boy bit his lips and breathed hard, all the joy from before gone. “Just because I’m from that family doesn’t mean I need to love water or any sport related to it.”

Nelson kept the stare, never blinking. “I apologize. I never meant to offend you.”

Cris sighed and looked at the floor as he rubbed his eyes. “Sorry for snapping at you. You didn’t offend me, it’s just… I’m sick of people looking at me as if I’m a freak just because I don’t wanna work with anything related to swimming.”

“If I may ask, then why are you a manager?”

“Money,” he said right away with a serious expression, so fast Nelson was silence for a second and then laughed. “What’s so funny? Is it not a good reason to work? You know that’s what most people do.”

“Sorry, it’s just that you’re the first person who’s so honest about this,” Nelson said, trying to suppress the smile. “My last managers said they were doing this ‘cause they loved swimming and wanted to help Brazil’s next generation of swimmers. But I’m sure the money helped a lot more than those feeling.”

Cris opened his mouth and then closed it with a sigh. “I’d rather be honest than using a lame reason for working with you. If you’re okay with that, then great. Just hope you don’t have a problem with me being gay.”

“Has it been a problem before?”

“The last person I managed was this religious girl. After she found out that we liked the same fruit, she kept giving subtle hints about me joining her church and saving my sinful soul from the eternal flames of hell. It was so fun.” Cris raised both thumbs up with a forced smile. “The guy before that said he had no trouble whatsoever, since he was 100% straight. According to him, even if I looked like a girl and tried to seduce him, he’d not care, as long as I helped him. I took his word for it and started working in a girl’s swimsuit.”

“What happened?”

“He kept insisting he didn’t care, though I did catch him stealing glances at me here and there with a strange growing bulge between the legs. I was starting to get suspicious, but when I caught him in a five to one to one of my pics, I was really suspicious,” he said in a fake intrigued expression.

Nelson laughed. He’d look really good in a girl’s swimsuit, the thought crossed his mind as he pictured Cris in the standard swimsuit. “The way you said it was affecting his performance. I don’t want that for me.”

“He was a jerk with talent. But the real problem was his ego. It was much bigger than his talent. It’s already a dangerous combination for some athletes, but in his case it was. He didn’t even realize that. He missed practice here and there and blamed it on me, saying I was the one who should tell him those things. There was a lot more, but the high point was his performance at the Pan American. One of the worst results ever,” Cris said, shaking his head. He tried to show a disappointed expression, but Nelson saw his tiny smile.

“I think I know who you’re talking. That guy was an idiot”

“Don’t worry. You don’t seem like a jerk, so I won’t try those things with you.”

“Thanks, I guess. But I told you already. If it doesn’t make any difference, I have no trouble. I need all the help I can get right now.”

“You mean your contract?” Cris asked in a low voice.

“Yes,” Nelson admitted after a while. “I think you already know, but my contract ends in the WAC. It was probably gonna be renewed after London, but then there was the accident… Right now, I need give everything I have to be at the WCA next year. That’s the first step to be in Rio in four years.”

“That’s… a huge goal in your current situation,” Cris said, staring Nelson in the eyes.

“Yes, it is. So if you’re willing to help me, then I gladly accept it.” Nelson offered his hand.

Cris looked at the hand for a moment and then smile before shaking it. “If you’re okay with me, then I’ll do everything I can to help you reach that goal.”

Now it's up to date. Next chapter this Thursday

Chapter 4

Nelson… what a strange guy, Cris thought with a smile as he remembered. It wasn’t the first time swimmers said they didn’t have a problem with me, but he really seemed to mean it… More like he wanted anyone who’d help him…

Cris entered his room and took off his clothes. The moment he lied on his bed, his phone rang. With a heavy sigh, he got his phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Cris,” said a familiar and sluggish voice.

“Francis… are you drunk?”

“Nah…” Francis hiccupped and then burped. “Just a little… But doesn’t matter. Can I come to your house now?”

Cris considered for a moment. He was tired, but maybe he wasn’t tired enough for a man. Then, out of nowhere, the picture of Nelson appeared in his head. “I’m not in the mood for a quickie right now.”

“You?” Francis sounded more surprised than Cris would have liked. “I’ve never seen you, Cris, the wild, refusing sex. I’m coming.”

“Don’t. I’m serious. I have work tomorrow morning. I’m once again manager.”

“Oh, come on, just skip it. I’ll bet it’s just another jerk who’s gonna hurt you. I’d never do that to you…”

“You mean again?” Cris sighed. “I’m going to sleep now. Goodbye.”

“So you’re really trading a night with me for work… Then I’ll wish good luck. That swimmer of yours must be special,” Francis said before hanging out.

Cris turned and stared at the ceiling. Even if he tried to ignore it, Francis words were stuck in his head. That swimmer must be special… That’s how it looks, huh? I find someone who seems like a good guy that I’d like to help and suddenly it's weird that I wanna work.

The phone rang again and brought Cris’ mind back to the bedroom. This time he checked who was calling before picking up.

“Hey, Mari,” he said before his cousin could say anything. “Do you have any idea what time it is?”

“Since you picked up, it’s not so late for we to have a little chat,” Mari answered, laughing. “But did you really think I could sleep without hearing everything first? Come on tell me. How is your new boy, I mean, swimmer?”

Cris decided it was best to ignore the jest. “Nelson is… he’s different than the others I’ve worked with.” It was the best way Cris could say. He put the phone on the speaker and buried his face in the pillow.

“Is that it? That’s all you’ve got to say after spending the whole night talking to him? That he’s different? Wow, that sounds so magical. Every girl dreams of having a different guy.”

Despite how tired he was, Cris chuckled. “You know what I mean. And how do you know I spent the night talking with him?”

“I got my ways.” Even without seeing, he could imagine his cousin smiling right now.

“Best if I don’t ask,” Cris muttered. “Nelson seems like a good guy, but beyond that, he’s very aware of the situation he’s in right now. But never crossed his head to give up.”

“For you to say that, he must’ve made an impression on you,” she said, and for some reason, Cris had the impression his cousin wasn’t smiling anymore. “Do you think he’s brave or just a moron who doesn’t know how to step back?”

“More like he’s ready to face the uncertain and hard path before him with his head held high.”

“Unlike you.”

“Shut up.” This time Cris couldn’t ignore the indirect.

Mari laughed. “Oh, come on. Don’t you have anything else to say about Nelson?”

“I’ll tell you this. At least he didn’t seem bothered when I told him I was gay.”

“A great improvement from the last swimmer. I still can’t look that girl in the eyes without remembering what she did to you.”

“Thanks.” Cris hesitated for a moment. “If I’m being honest, I don’t mind working with Nelson.”

“For you to say that… He must really be special.”

“Why does everyone keep saying that?”

“Who said that?”

“No one.”

“Who said that Nelson is special to you?”

Cris stayed in silence for a while. She’s gonna take it the wrong way, he knew. “Francis.”

“When did you talk to him?”

“Just a moment ago.”

“Wait! Did he call for a quickie and you turned him down because of Nelson?” Mari said, and couldn’t keep the enthusiasm from her voice.”

“…”

“Ha! I can’t believe my little cousin fell in love again.”

Cris let out a heavy sigh. I knew it. “Like I could fall that easily. I’m not like you.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” She laughed. “But I think you two are bound to hook up. From what I heard, his last two girlfriends were his managers. If the pattern follows…”

“I’d rather help in the pool, not on the bed.”

“Like you couldn’t do both again.”

“I have nothing to say.”

“Are you telling me you didn’t hit on him at all?”

“…”

“I knew it!”

“It’s not like that,” he tried adding quickly. “It wasn’t anything serious. It’s just how I am.”

“Yeah, yeah. I know. But how do you think he’s gonna react when he sees you in that sexy swimsuit you bought?”

“Oh yeah… I’d forgotten about that,” Cris said, scratching his chin. “Speaking of it, I’d like to borrow one of your old ones.”

“Huh? Why? Did you already use the new one with him? Wow, that was fast. And you said you didn’t want to jump into a bed with him.”

“Just to inform you, I’m gonna ignore your ramble from now on, okay?” Cris waited until Mari was done laughing. “I don’t plan to use the new swimsuit. I… I bought that in case he was a jerk, but now I’d like to help him. That’s why I’d like you to give me one.”

“Why don’t you return the one you bought today?”

“…”

Mari laughed again. “You wanna use it with a certain swimmer, right?

Again, Cris stayed quiet.

“Can you give me one or not?” he asked after a while.

“For real?” Mari seemed serious for once. “You don’t plan to use the new with him?”

“I don’t plan to do anything like that.”

“So you really won’t use it?”

Taking a deep breath, Cris admitted. “I wanna give my all to help him achieve his goal.”

Mari stayed in silence for a while. Cris turned to the phone, waiting.

“Well, if my little cousin has finally found someone he wants to help, then I help you help him,” she said full of self-importance. “Come to my house after breakfast. I’ll give you one swimsuit. But I’ll tell you that, despite being a normal swimsuit, it’s pretty famous among a certain group.”

Chapter 5

Nelson woke before the alarm rung. Even though he barely sleep at all, he wasn’t tired. The swimmer simply lay on his bed, staring at the ceiling, his mind empty as he waited.

He had no idea what time it was, but he knew dawn was coming. From the thin curtain, he could see the dark sky becoming brighter by the second. Even so, he stayed in bed and closed his eyes, waiting for the alarm.

The moment his cellphone rang, his hand flew to turned it off. Now he knew the exact time. It was 5:30 in the morning. Even though it should be a special day, it didn’t feel like one at all. In fact, it’s more like it’s just like any other day, he thought as he glanced at his workout clothes, laid down by him on the desk in the previous night.

Before the accident, I used to wake up at this hour for the morning workout before breakfast, Nelson remembered with a sad smile. How much did I run back then? Ten kilometers? He couldn’t even remember. After the doctor said I could do a very light workout, I can barely run two kilometers now…

Even with those feelings, Nelson stood up from the bed and picked up his shorts, shirt, underwear, socks and shoes. Despite using every day, however brief and light the workout was, the clothes were cleaned and well conserved. Though I’ve been using it for a while now, comparing to my swim trunks, it looks brand new, he thought with a hollow laugh.

Blowing all the air in his mouth, Nelson changed clothes. When he was done, he looked his reflection in the mirror. I look the same, but I prefer the swim trunks, he admitted with a thin smile.

Just as he had been doing for the past weeks, he warmed up a little. There’s no pain, he realized as he stretched a bit. There hadn’t been for a while, but Nelson always was on the lookout. In the back of his mind, the pain could strike at any time, and then everything would be lost.

Suddenly he let out a weak and cold chuckled. Since when I became so pessimistic? But today’s different. The exam will prove it… Yes, I’m cured. I’m cured. I am cured, he told himself over and over again. I’m fine, I can go back into the water…

But what if I’m not? Last time it was the same. There was no pain, but the exam showed I the muscles were far from healed… This time could be the same. The MRI could show there’s still injured. He sat on the bed, burying his face in both hands. If I can’t go back to the pools, if I can’t swim… I have nothing… I’m nothing…

A soft knock on the door followed by three more brought Nelson’s mind back. He breathed slowly until his heart was back to normal, cleaned the sweat from his brow and turned to the door. Who could be so early? The only person I know who’s idiot enough to knock so early is Marcelo, but there’s no way he’s up so soon, he thought as he walked towards the door. He looked through the peephole, but only saw darkness. Wary, he opened the door just a little.

Through the small crack, Nelson found himself looking at a yawning Cris. But the moment the manager noticed the swimmer, his yawn turned into a bright smile. “Good morning!”

Nelson had no idea how to react. He stood with his mouth opened for a moment, staring at Cris, whose smile never faded. Before he realized it, Nelson smiled as well and let out a chuckle. “What are you doing here?” he asked, opening the door all the way.

“Well, I’m not the one to go spread around telling secrets, since I had a big secret of my own for a while,” Cris said, his smile turning sly for a second, “but someone told me you woke at this hour to jog a little. And that same someone told me you overdo today, so I’m here to keep an eye on you.”

Nelson stared at Cris for a while. “Marcelo,” he said with a sigh. “He never knew how to keep his mouth shut.”

“Hm, that’s unexpected. You seem mad.” Cris closed the distance and looked Nelson in the eyes with a sad expression. “I’m here out of the goodness of my heart,” he said in a worried voice.

The swimmer saw right away he was faking it, but decided to keep up the pretense.

“Well then. Out the goodness of my heart, I thank you,” he said, putting his hand across his chest and bowing his head. He tried to keep a serene expression, but when he looked at Cris and saw the manager with a smile bigger than before, Nelson could hold anymore and laughed. “There’s no way I could be mad at someone worried about me.”

“Yay. Then my job here is done, since I’m here to cheer you up!” Cris said making V with his fingers on both hands.

“Thanks. I never had a manager who’d wake so early to do this for me.”

“I’m a bit different than other managers. You’ll find that out eventually.”

“Is that so? How are you different?”

“First of all, I’m a full-time manager.”

“For real? I’ve never heard anyone doing it full time. Is this job more like a part time for people to get some experience and references?”

“Yeah…” For the first time, Cris’ smile grew thin as he looked at the floor. “I’m not proud, but I’m kinda like the black sheep on the family, so to get them somewhat off my back, this is more like a full time job for me…”

He looked at the floor and kept quiet. Nelson stared at him in silence too. “I don’t know about that,” he said after a while, “but it means I can have you all day for me.”

Cris raised his head and his face illuminated with a smile. “Yes! I’ll be all over you!”

“Then you’ll be coming running with me every morning?”

Still smiling, Cris averted his eyes. “You shouldn’t ask the impossible… Today’s like a once in a life offer. You know, since we’re starting today and all…”

Nelson laughed. “Then I’ll take yours once in a life offer. Let’s go.” He exited the room and locked the door. As they walked down the hallway side by side, Cris kept glancing at him walking around Nelson. “What?”

“Nothing…is just that you look good in those clothes, but you look hotter, I mean, better in a swimsuit. It suits you more.” There was a sly smile on the boy’s lips.

Nelson had no reaction for a moment and then laughed. “Now you sound more like my previous managers.”

Chapter 6

I’m so out of shape, Nelson thought as he sat on the bench to slow down his breathing. Each breath he took hurt a little. Well, that’s expected. But to think it was this much… I’ve been jogging a little ever since the doctor let me, but I haven’t recover anything all this time… such short distance would never tire me before…

“You’re so out of shape!” Cris exclaimed bluntly as he sat next to the swimmer, looking at Nelson with a wide grin. “Guess swimmers really are like fish out of water when out of the pool.”

Nelson stared at him and then let out a laugh against his will. He ran a hand over his face to hide his smile. “That was a terrible joke. So terrible you should be ashamed of yourself and hide,” he said shaking his head, but there was still a smile forcing itself on his lips.

“And yet you can’t stop smiling,” Cris said, his own smile broadening.

“It was so bad I laughed how bad it was. Thanks,” Nelson added when Cris handed him a bottle of water. He drank half of it in one gulp. The swimmer cleaned his mouth with the back of the hand and then showed the bottle to Cris. “You should do stuff like this, you know? Be helpful, supportive and all with the guy you’re assisting, instead of, you know, being brutally honest about how out of shape I am.”

Cris placed his hand on the chin and narrowed his eyes, pretending to be in deep thought. “You’re right. I should be more helpful,” he said after a while. Then his serious expression changed back into the mocking one with a cheerful smile. “But it’s more fun tease you!”

“Glad to know you’ll be making fun of me from now on,” Nelson said, trying to put some fake anger in his voice. But when he saw Cris’ grin, he knew he had failed.

“Oh, come on. I rather be honest. Besides,” his expression turned serious, and not the fake one, “you might hear a lot worse when you return to the pools, right? So isn’t better to hear now from someone you has your best interest at heart?”

Nelson opened his mouth, give up and let out a sigh. He drank the rest of his water in silence. “You’re right,” he said after a while with a sad smile. “I’m too out of shape, even though I’ve been working out for a while. I can’t argue against the harsh truth. Especially when given in such way for someone who has my best interest at heart.”

Cris picked up on the mocking tone. “I do! Believe me, I’d never wake so early for anyone else.”

“And I’m still grateful for the once in a lifetime offer,” Nelson said, bowing his head. But when he raised his eyes, he was smiling again. “But I still think you should be gentler. I may look like this but words can break my heart.”

“More like you break many hearts,” Cris mumbled. Then he took the empty bottle from Nelson’s hand and replaced it with a sports drink. “Instead of gentler, I rather help you with stuff like this.”

“Guess I can compromise with this.” Nelson drank almost half in one gulp.

“So athlete Nelson,” Cris spoke to his closed fist, pretending to be a microphone, “how do you feel about your comeback?” He moved his hand closer to Nelson’s mouth.

Nelson looked between the hand and Cris’ face. “Well, if I have to be honest… I feel like crap at the bottom of the well.”

Cris tried to hold it, but soon he laughed. “Well, that’s expected, I guess, but you know there’s a good thing about that, right?”

“Really? And what’s that?” Nelson looked at Cris with disbelief. “I’d like you to tell me, since I can’t see it at all”

“There’s nothing to go but up!” Cris screamed with a huge smile.

Nelson stared at that smile and couldn’t help but chuckle weakly. “You can also help me by being optimistic like that,” he said in a low voice.

“Today’s a special occasion. It’ll be troublesome for me if you think I’m like this all the time. Especially when you see my real personality,” he said, his smile turning sly.

The swimmer let out a weak chuckle. “Well, I’ll meet your real personality in the future. But even so, I wish felt like you. Optimistic about this…” Nelson’s smile grew thin as he looked down. “Actually, I’m afraid… I’m praying from the bottom of my heart there’s an up for me…”

Cris stopped smiling. He stayed in silence as he stared Nelson’s face. After a moment, he leaned forward. “I know we just met but I’m here for you,” he said in a low voice.

Nelson raised his head and turned to the man he had met the previous night. He looked at that face that usually had a smile. Now Cris showed a worried expression, ready to listen whatever he said. The swimmer hesitated for a moment, but then the words came out of him.

“I think I’m being too greedy. I… I should’ve died in that accident, but I didn’t. That was a miracle. Then I should’ve lost my legs, but I didn’t. Then the doctors said I might lose the movement on them. But here I am,” Nelson said, burying his face in both hands. “Swimming at the same level as before should be a miracle too, but am I not running out of miracles? What if the MRI shows I can’t ever go back to the pool? I know I’m being greedy, but I can’t help it… I can’t lose the pool… without it I’m… I don’t know what I am…”

Before he noticed, Nelson was crying in his hands. Cris waited in silence, the sound of cries echoing between them.

“You’re not being greedy,” he said after Nelson finished crying. The swimmer raised his head and looked at him. “And even if you think that, in this case, you’re allowed to be. You’re not taking nothing from anybody. It’s your goal, your dream, so there’s nothing wrong with that.”

“You think so?”

“Yes! And if someone complains, you say that I allowed you to be greedy,” Cris said with a confident smile that got a chuckle out of the swimmer.

“But… what if I really can’t get back on the water?”

Cris stared at Nelson with a gentle smile. “Then you’ll feel lost for a while. Perhaps a long time. But maybe you’ll find another path. Even if it’s not in the pool, even if not as an athlete, there’s a lot you can do.”

“You’re… right.” Nelson sighed and leaned back on the bench, watching the pale sky. “You say that with so much confidence it’s almost like you’ve been on my spot.”

“I have…” Cris grew silent as he stared at the ground. “To be honest, I am in the same situation right now.…”

Nelson looked at him. The gentle smile had disappeared, and now Cris’ eyes seemed out of focus. The swimmer understood and waited.

“You know my family so you probably know our history. Everyone who’s born with the Prado Maranhão surname already come into this world with great expectations on them.” Cris’ voice was low, but it carried all his frustration. “We go into the pool as soon as we can, trying many sports until we find the one that suits us. Even if we don’t have any talents or want to pursue something other than sport, they expect that we work with something related to water. If someone wants to be a doctor, they should aim to be part of the medical staff. If it’s related to business, then it will be helping the administration. Even minor things, like coordinating the teams, helping with makeup, designing swimsuit… If you’re born with the Prado Maranhão surname, you’re expected to be near the pools for your entire life…”

The same way Cris had listened in silence, Nelson did the same.

“Do you hate?”

“More than love or hate, it’s complicated… I told you I’m the family black sheep, didn’t I?” Cris closed his eyes and leaned back on the bench. Nelson mumbled a low yes. “It’s because I’m not looking for anything related to water for my future.”

“What do you mean? Aren’t you managing me right now?”

Cris let out a hollow chuckled. “That’s not enough for a Prado Maranhão.”

“Have you tried all the water sports?”

“I have. I swam for a long time. But when I realized I had no talent, nor the willpower to overcome that with sheer determination, I tried other sports. Water polo was the worst. I kept getting hit in the face,” he said, wincing as he massaged his nose. Then he shook his head to dismiss the memories. “I have no strength for Canoeing. Diving was way fun but soon I learned I liked it more as a play. The one I liked the most was synchronized swimming, but I think it was more those cute swimsuits than the sport per say.”

“So why they consider you the black sheep? I mean, you tried, no one can say you didn’t. But if those sports didn’t wake a passion in you, there’s no meaning in keep going. Being a professional athlete isn’t something you can do without much determination.”

“I couldn’t agree more. But the real problem was last year, when I graduated high school. My grandma wanted me to go to business school like my dad and help with the club’s finances and such. Just because I’m kinda good with math, doesn’t mean I’m good with money. When I told her that, she asked what I wanted to be, but I… I froze. I mean, I’m barely an adult. How the hell should I chose what I wanna be? I had no idea then and even now I don’t know. So I stayed as a manager. No one agreed with my choice. Everyone just keeps pushing me to choose something befitting of a Prado Maranhão.”

When Cris finished, he was a little out of breath, his cheek red. He took deep breathes as the silence grew between the two men. Nelson looked at his personal manager who gazed at the sky with unfocused eyes.

“So you’ve been where I am… standing before the void of uncertainty,” Nelson said with a thin smile. Cris turned to him.

“Maybe that’s why they put us together,” he said, mirroring Nelson’s smile. “The black sheep and the former prodigy.”

“That former prodigy hurts more than you think, you know? Even though it’s the truth, I was once known as the future of Brazil’s swimming.” Nelson raised his chin and puffed his chest to show how proud he was, even though he felt the opposite right now.

“In my duty as your manager, and someone who prefers saying the truth, I need to tell you to focus on the future, not the past,” Cris told with confidence.

“The future, huh?” Nelson stared at Cris. “You’re right.”

“Hey, don’t make that face. I’m here for you. Ask me anything.”

“Anything?” Nelson repeated.

“Yes. I won’t go back on my word… most of the time,” he muttered the last part, averting his gaze with a yellow smile.

Nelson looked at that face, at that smile for a while. “Then could you be with me during my exam today?” the words got out of his mouth to his own surprise. He widened his eyes and before he realized, his cheek turned pink and he averted his gaze

“You want me to be with you?”

His own words had surprised him, but when Nelson thought about them, he knew it them to be true. Without looking at Cris, he nodded. “Yes… please,” he whispered.

Cris placed both hands on Nelson’s face and turned to him, showing a gentle smile to the swimmer. “With pleasure.”

Chapter 07

“That was faster than I expected,” Cris said, taking a seat next to Nelson on the waiting lounge. “I thought it would take time until they called you.”

“Yeah,” Nelson said distracted, staring the double door on the back wall.

“Everything’s gonna be okay.”

“Yeah.”

“You’ve done this before, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Good. It’s my first time doing something like this, so I’m a little nervous.”

“Yeah.”

“Are you listening to me?”

“Yeah.”

“I do an amazing oral. Do you want one?” Cris whispered in Nelson’s ear.

“Yeah,” the swimmer answered in the same distracted voice. Then he raised his eyes and turned to Cris. “Wait, what did you just say?”

“I said you should eat this,” Cris said slowly, pulling a banana from a plastic bag with a serious expression.

“No, no, no. I have a strong feeling that wasn’t what you said.”

Cris blinked with a puzzled expression. “Then what I said?”

“You said something about an amazing ora…” Nelson widened his eyes and trailed off, his face bright red.

Cris showed a huge grin. “What was that? Finish that sentence,” he pressed on, leaning closer to Nelson.

“Never mind,” the swimmer mumbled, turning his face away, his cheeks still red.

Cris laughed as Nelson ran a hand over his face and covered his mouth trying to hide his embarrassed smile.

“That made me feel better.”

“I’m happy for you,” Nelson said in a dry voice.

“Come on, don’t be mad and eat this.” Cris, still smiling, pushed the banana to Nelson.

Nelson looked at the banana. “I’m not hungry,” he said in a stubborn voice.

“You barely ate breakfast. As far as I know, the exam will take some time, so you gotta eat something.” When Nelson still refused to take the food, Cris sighed and peeled half the banana. “You’ll eat this one way or the other. How do you think it’s gonna look when people see me feeding my banana to a man? Normally is the other way around.”

Nelson shook his head and chuckled despite everything. Then he discreetly looked around. There were some people in the waiting lounge giving them second glances, some staring them without any discretion. But when they realized the swimmer was watching them back, they looked away or turned to their phones, pretending they weren’t looking.

“See? I have a reputation. If people see you eating my banana, weird rumors will spread,” Cris said, nodding slowly as if he said something deep and smart. Nelson couldn’t help but laugh. That made Cris show a cute smile. “Ah! You finally laughed!

“If you keep saying those weird things, it’s hard to keep sulking.”

“Then if you want me to stop saying perfectly normal things, eat my banana by yourself. Instead of, you know, me feeding to you.” Nelson looked between the fruit and the smiling boy. “You don’t know how to eat a banana? I can teach you, but not here. It can get pretty graphic.”

“How do expect me to eat it now?” Nelson said in a hushed whisper, snagging the banana from Cris’ hand. His face became red again as he stared at the fruit. Under his manager’s smile and eyes, he placed the banana sideways and nibbled it. “I’d never thought I’d find someone bossier than my ex,” he mumbled between bites.

“Thanks.” Cris’ smile widened.

“That wasn’t a compliment. It was as far as one.”

“I’ll take it as one anyway.”

Nelson opened his mouth to reply but then gave up halfway, letting out a sigh that turned into a smile. Before he realized it, he had eaten half the fruit.

“I’m so jealous of that banana.”

“You want some?” Nelson asked, offering the last part.

“Actually I want your other banana. “Cris showed a sly smile and leaned closer to Nelson’s ear. “The blowjob offer is still standing,” he whispered

Nelson coughed. Cris laughed and patted him on the back. “How can you say those embarrassing things in public?” he said in a low and worried voice, looking around to see if anyone had heard. When he realized there was no one looking, he sighed in relief.

“You’re right.” Cris narrowed his eyes and glanced around too. “Those kind of things are better done within four walls. Or inside a bathroom stall. Actually, anywhere with a lock is fine. Though I must admit the idea of getting caught turns me on a bit, I don’t wanna people stealing my techniques. It was a lot of work, sweat, and scuffed knees to reach my level.”

Nelson blushed and coughed again. When he stopped, he leaned closer to Cris so only he could hear. “And… what kind of level is that?” he asked in a low whisper.

Cris’ smile became even slyer. “One that can even make the straightest man forget any woman and beg for my mouth again.”

Nelson’s face went a wild shade of red as he widened his eyes. Cris looked down. The swimmer did the same, only to realize there a volume in his pants. He tried to hide, but the rest of the banana in his hands didn’t help. “How can you say those things to a guy that hasn’t had sex for months?” Even in that situation, Nelson didn’t forget to keep his voice down.

“If you want, we can go to the bathroom right now. I can take care of that,” Cris caressed the volume, making it grow even more, “and it’ll be the best in your life. I guarantee. No man has ever complained.”

Nelson’s breathing became short. His face was even redder as he checked there was really no one listening to their conversation. “I… I… If… If I say yes… wouldn’t make it things weird… between us? How could I… look you in the face after…”

“There’s no reason to be weird. Unless we make it,” Cris said, looking into Nelson’s eyes.

“What kind of manager are you?”

“One that would do a lot of things to help. Even with something like this.”

Nelson stared those eyes, his breathing even more rapid as he considered the offer.

“I… what kind of guy I’d be if I accepted something like this?” he asked, gulping.

“One that would get the best blowjob of his life,” Cris answered. “Come on. You can’t do the exam with this armed.”

“Exam?” Nelson repeated the word slowly. Then he blinked, looked around and widened his eyes as if suddenly remembering where he was. With his face red, he turned back to Cris and then burst into laugh. He covered his mouth with a hand, but it was too late. Everyone was already looking at him.

Cris couldn’t help but smile hearing that laugh, despite feeling dejected for the volume that decreased. He sighed and leaned back on his seat. “Ah, ah. I can’t believe there’s a man who’d laugh at the offer of my skills.”

“Sorry, sorry. It’s just that… I suddenly remembered where we are and what we’re waiting… I couldn’t help it. Last time, I was so nervous I could barely keep my lunch inside. Sadly I couldn’t keep my bowels in check. I went to the bathroom, like, every five minutes. Now… look what I’m considering. Thanks to you, I forgot I was even in the hospital. I’m really glad you’re here with me. Thanks,” Nelson said, looking Cris in the eyes with a genuine smile.

Cris widened his eyes and looked away, blushing. Despite his embarrassment, he smiled. “And I’m the one who says embarrassing things,” he mumbled. Then he sighed and said in a normal voice, “I’m glad you asked me too.”

The silence stretch between the two men as Nelson finish the fruit. He threw the peel in the trashcan and sat on the seat again, staring at his fingers. “I was about to accept. I never had one, you know,” he said in a low voice after a while.

“What?” Cris sounded more shocked than he should. “Really? Never?”

“Well… to be honest, there was this one time, but I’d rather not count. It was… awful. One of my exes ended up choking, even though I warned her it was coming. She ended up… biting my… you know…”

Cris laughed. “I’ve never done something like that!” He laughed more. “I can’t believe it. Poor thing, you’ve never had a real one then. Next time, I’ll pick a better place to offer you my mouth. So you won’t have any excuse to refuse.”

“I… there’s no way I could say no again…” he mumbled and blushed as he gulped. Then he shook his head. “Didn’t you say you weren’t gonna do this kind of teasing with me? That you’d help me and all? If you keep saying those… kind of things, there’s no way I can concentrate on swimming!”

“This has nothing to do with my job. It’s just a… how can I say it? A man helping another man relax. Yeah, that’s it. Just me offering a hand, but with my mouth. There would be no reason to feel awkward about later.”

“How could I look you in the face if you did something like that?”

“I told you, it’d be awkward only if you let. I’ve done it before, and the only awkward part was that men couldn’t stop wanting more,” he said with pride.

“Yeah, well… there’s no way I could look you in the face without remembering. Unfortunately, I’m that kind of guy.”

“Yeah, I know. You’re a genuinely great guy that anyone would be lucky to be with,” Cris said with a real smile.

The swimmer blushed and looked away. The silence this time was awkward in another way. But before it stretched, the receptionist called his name.

He turned to the double door at the back, but didn’t stand up. He stayed in his seat for a moment, his breathing deep and slow as time passed away. There was nothing of the fun and awkward mood from seconds before.

“Nelson…” Cris touched his arm. “I’m here with you,” he whispered.

The swimmer gulped and took his eyes from the double doors. He looked his manager, who nodded reassuringly. Nelson nodded too, though barely thanks to his stiffed neck.

Cris stood up first, offering his hand to Nelson. The swimmer took it. With some difficulty, he stood up and they walked to the reception desk together.

Chapter 08

“Will he be accompanying you?” the receptionist asked in a kind voice when she saw Cris.

Nelson looked at his manager. With a reassuring smile from him, the swimmer turned back to the woman. “Yes, he will.”

“Then you two come with me,” said a nurse that came through the double door at the back.

“You’ve done this before, right?” the nurse asked as he led them to a cramped room with a sofa, some lockers and changing rooms. Nelson nodded and the woman handed him a little plastic basket and a key. “Then you know what to do. You’re size small, right?”

“Ah, yes?” Cris answered a little confused. The nurse nodded and left the room. “Why did she ask that?”

“For the clothes,” Nelson said, putting his cellphone and wallet in the plastic basket.

“I’m gonna need you to elaborate a little more,” Cris said, making circles with his hands.

“You don’t know about this exam?” When the manager shook his head, Nelson turned to him with a blank expression and then chuckled. “How can I say this in the best way? Well, first, we get naked.”

“So far, I like where this is going,” Cris interrupted with a smile.

“Then we change into the medical clothes,” Nelson went on as if not interrupted, though he smiled as well. He showed the plastic basket to Cris. “After we put all metal here, we can go in the exam room.”

“Sounds troublesome.” Despite his words, Cris placed his wallet and cellphone as well. “Why do we need all this?”

“If there’s any kind of metal, the exam might not go work. Metal interferes with the machine or something like that. So the patient and those accompanying can’t enter the exam room with any kind of metal. Even zippers and buttons.”

“Again, it sounds troublesome. But I’m not here to make the rules,” Cris said, taking off his shirt.

“Why are you taking off your shirt?” Nelson asked in a hushed whisper, looking at the door as if expecting the nurse to come back at any second.

“To change clothes?” Cris said, his voice indicating it should be obvious.

“Yeah, well, there’s a changing room in the back. And you don’t have the clothes in it yet!”

“I know, but this way is more fun, I mean, to speed things up. Besides, why are you getting all worked up? We’re both guys, so there’s no need to get embarrassed, right?” Cris showed his sly smile.

Before Nelson could answer, the nurse opened the door. “Here are your clothes…” She went silent when she noticed Cris without his shirt. With a forced smile, she handed them their clothes. “I’m waiting outside for you two to change,” she said in a courteous tone and left the room, though not before Nelson noting her cheek reds.

Cris laughed and before the swimmer could say anything, he ran to one of the changing rooms.

With a sigh of defeat and his cheeks red, Nelson went to change his clothes too.

“I gotta say. This is strange. Too strange,” Cris said from the other side of the plastic partition.

“I know I’ll regretting asking, but I’m an idiot,” Nelson mumbled and then sighed, both loud enough for Cris to hear. “What’s strange?”

Cris laughed again. “I wasn’t gonna say, but since you asked.” Even without seeing, Nelson could feel the sly smile. “Normally when I take my clothes with a naked man inches away from me to go in a room with the said man, I expect something a lot different from an exam.”

Nelson opened his mouth to reply, but midway he gave up and the laugh escaped his lips before he knew it. “I’m really glad you’re here. Last time by this hour I was about to see my lunch again.”

“And I’m glad I didn’t have to see that today.”

“Me too. Well, I hope we get a happy ending today too. Though in a different way than you’re used to,” Nelson said, walking out of the partition wearing a hospital gown.

A second later, Cris pulled the curtain from his own partition. “How do I look? I feel oddly constrained wearing this,” he said before Nelson answered. He turned his head to look at his own back. Then he turned his body around, showing his small and shaved butt. “I like this clothes has quick access. In and out without the hassle of pulling down or taking off your clothes.”

“You say that as if you didn’t like taking off your clothes,” Nelson mumbled. He blushed, chuckled and ran a hand over his face. “You know you can wear your underwear, right?”

The swimmer knew Cris was faking it, but he still couldn’t help but smile when the manager’s face suddenly lit with comprehension.

“Oh! That makes way more sense. Though it’s less fun.” Cris pouted in a cute way before walking back to the changing room. He walked out a few seconds later. “Even more constrained… but, well… Let’s go?” He offered a hand to his swimmer.

Nelson outlined a smile, but it only lasted a second. He breathed slowly with his eyes unfocused as he turned to the room.

“Hey…” Cris walked closer to Nelson and putting a hand on the swimmer’s shoulder. “Everything’s gonna be fine,” he said in a low and comforting voice.

Nelson looked at the manager. Those reassuring and firm eyes gave the swimmer strength. With a deep breath and his courage renewed, he walked to the door with Cris by his side.

“Right this way, please,” the nurse lead them through a corridor.

“Hey, Nelson. It’s been a while. How are you?” the medical technician was waiting for them at the end of the corridor. When he saw Cris, he showed an intrigued expression. “You’re not with your parents today?”

“Hey. This is Cris, my friend and new manager.”

“That’s good. You got a new manager,” he said, smiling.

As Nelson lied down on the machine and the man fastened the swimmer’s legs, they catch up on their conversation. After he finished, he picked up a thin and long button connect to a cable and handed to Nelson.

“Do you still remember the drill? Do you want a blanket?” The swimmer nodded to both questions. The medical technician placed the white sheet over Nelson, covering almost to the torso. “If it gets too uncomfortable, press the button. I’ll stop the machine right away.” The man left the exam room and a music was turned on.

“That’s huge. Way bigger than I thought,” Cris commented, staring at the MRI machine.

“It’s loud too. Wait until it’s on,” Nelson said, his voice a little shakier than he would have liked.

“How many times you’ve done this?”

“More than I’d like,” he admitted.

“Seems scary.” Cris leaned over Nelson so he could peer inside the machine. “Lucky you’re checking your legs. Imagine putting your head inside this.”

“You’re not helping.” The long and dark tube seemed even scarier from the swimmer’s perspective, but he didn’t say anything. Though he had the impression his voice was doing that for him, he kept trying to act normal.

Before Cris could speak, the machine turned on. The conversation ended as they turned to the noise. It was low at first but, little by little, the sound grew. Then it was so loud it felt as if vibrating inside them.

Nelson’s breathing became faster as the familiar and unpleasant sensation of ‘about to go down some huge monster’s dark throat’ filled him. “I can never get used to this.” He almost had screamed above the noise to be heard.

Slowly the machine’s bed seemed to swallow him. Nelson held his breath while making sure he stared at the ceiling all the time.

The humming became even louder as he entered the machine. It was so loud the swimmer couldn’t hear anything else, not even the music. He didn’t even know if Cris was saying something or not.

Nelson started sweating despite the cold room. He felt his body itching here and there, but the worse was his legs. The urge to press the button and stop the exam filled him. I didn’t remember it was this bad, he thought, trying and failing to control his breathing.

Even though he inhaled, he was out of her. The more he tried, the more out of air he became. He closed his eyes and was about to press the button, but then he felt something involving his free hand. Nelson opened his eyes and looked around.

Cris was looking back at him with a firm expression. He nodded slowly, showing the same reassuring eyes as before.

Nelson gulped and squeezed Cris’ hand. As the manager squeezed the hand back, the swimmer loosened his grip over the button and his breathing slowed down.

He had no idea how much time it passed, but finally, after what seemed an eternity, the machine’s rumbling died down little by little.

“That… wasn’t as bad as I expected,” Nelson lied in a shaky voice when the bed slid out of the machine.

“Speak for yourself. It kinda hurt quite a bit,” Cris said, shaking the hand Nelson had squeezed the entire time.

“Sorry for that… I just…” The swimmer averted his eyes and blushed. How could I act like a kid…? He sighed and faced Cris. “Guess I was a little scared…”

“Yeah… let’s call that a little.” Despite closing and opening his hand to subdue the pain, he showed a mean smile. “Since we’re gonna be spending a lot of time together, I’ll tell you this now. I don’t hate a little rough. Actually, scratch that. I love when a man gets all rough on me. Even so, I’m not into S&M.”

Nelson opened and closed his mouth a few times, no idea how to react. In the end, he averted his eyes. “Sorry,” he said again. He placed the button on his belly, reached out and got Cris’ hand with his both, pressing and massaging the palm.

“Hey, it’s actually working,” Cris said in surprise, his expression softening as the pain went away.

“It’s a swimmer’s trick for hand cramps.” Nelson applied more strength. “I have no idea who thought me though.”

“Everything went great,” the technician said when he entered the room again. Nelson finished massaging Cris’ hand as the man released him from the machine. “We’ll have the results by the end of the day.”

“What? S soon?” Nelson had trouble supporting himself on his numb legs and sat on the bed. “Last time it took four days.”

“Yeah, well, we received an order of priority from the border of directors to speed up the results,” he said with an uncomfortable smile.

“Wow…” Nelson looked at the floor. “I… I’m not sure if I should be happy or worried about this…”

The technician’s smile stiffened. “I’ll call you when I have the results. I’ll send it to your doctor too.”

Nelson thanked him, then he and Cris left the room. They went back to the cramped room, changed back into their clothes and got their stuff.

“All day waiting huh…” Nelson let out a sigh. “I forgot that waiting for the exam was way worse than that machine…”

Cris looked at him in silence for a long time. Then his face lit with a smile. “Instead of worrying all day, how about spending it having fun with me?”

Chapter 9

“Holy shit! How can a movie suck so hard?” Nelson complained after they left the movie theater. “I can’t believe I was forced to watch another one of these vampire werewolf stupid movies. Why the hell you make the only good thing about the entire crap be a damn vision? Whose brilliant idea was that?”

“I can’t disagree with you on that. I felt the same when the woman showed it was only a vision.” Cris shook his head. Then he widened his eyes and barely seemed to contain his smile. “Wait a minute. Did you just say you watched the others? So you’re a fan who’s trying to hide his love for the franchise?”

“Yeah… how can I say this? I can say with confidence that my accident wasn’t as painful as watching all the four movies.” Nelson pressed both hands on his face, rubbing his eyes. “Hey, now that I think about it, I have the worst luck with that franchise and my managers.”

“Huh?” Cris tilted his head, not understanding.

“My first manager made me watch the first movie,” he said with a dragged voice, as if remembering something bad. “My last manager rented the second and made me watch so she could drag me to the theater and see the third. And now you made me watch the last one…”

Cris tried to keep a straight face, but it only lasted a second as he laughed. “Isn’t that amazing? Now the circle is complete,” he said, making a circle in the air with his finger.

Nelson looked at him in disbelief, not sharing the laugh. “I can tell why women and gays like the franchise, but why do you managers seem to have the need to force me too? I’m not a masochist, but it looks like I attract sadists.”

Cris bit his lips to suppress the smile. It wasn’t enough to hide his enjoyment, so he covered his mouth with a hand. “How much surprised you’ll be when I say I never like those movies either and that haven’t watch anything besides the first one?”

Nelson widened his eyes and took a deep breath. Then he opened and closed his mouth several times, struggling for words. In the end, he let out a sigh full of frustration. “Then, if it’s not a problem, could you please explain why you made me watch it?” he asked in a low voice that didn’t hide his anger. “How much of a sadist are you, huh? I only watched because you won rock paper scissors. No, wait. Guess that was my mistake. It was my fault for telling a sadist that I hated the movie. The moment you heard that, your face lit up like a kid winning a prize.”

Cris listened to Nelson while doing his best to contain his laughter. When the swimmer finished rambling, the manager licked his lips. “There’s a pretty good reason for me choosing that movie. One that has nothing to do with me being a sadist you think I am,” he added quickly when Nelson seemed eager to interrupt. “But before I reveal that to you, I must tell you something very important. Just because I like it and get hard with hot shirtless guys, doesn’t mean you can throw them at my face and I’m satisfied. I mean, I won’t complain or anything, but that doesn’t mean I’ll be willing to pay for that alone.”

“And yet you made me watch it… and I was the one who paid…” Nelson grunted.

“I like my entertainment to have some quality,” Cris went on as if not interrupted, though there was a smile on his lips. “Besides, I get my quota of hot shirtless guys every day.”

Cris said nothing else. The manager just stood there, smiling as the swimmer waited.

“Fine. You need more than hot guys. Then why did you make suffer through that?”

“Ah…” Cris face lit up as if he suddenly remembered, though Nelson knew he was just pretending. “I almost forgot. Well, then, the reason I made you watch it was because a crappy movie is better than a good one for my purpose.”

“And what was your purpose? Annoy me? ‘Cause let me tell you did it.”

“No, no, no. I never considered that,” Cris said, pretending to be innocent, though the sly smile didn’t help. Then he turned the sly smile into a bright one. “All I wanted was to cheer you up!”

Nelson stood there, observing that face that really believed in his words. The swimmer tried, but it was hard to keep mad at that smile. “Wouldn’t a good movie have worked better?” he asked in a resigned voice.

“Not really. Think about it. What do you prefer? Talk about something you like or complain about something you hate?”

Nelson thought about it for a moment. Then he let out a sigh followed by a chuckle. “Yeah… I’ll admit you’re right.”

“I know, I know,” Cris said in a conceited voice. “So, let’s complain until we’re satisfied.

Nelson stayed in silence for a while, remembering the things he hated about the movie. “That scene in the tent. How can any guy say they’re glad there’s another man hugging his wife? What the hell. And how could anyone think that creepy baby would be a good idea? That doll looks like it could’ve audition to be the bride of Chucky. Ah, shit. Now that I thought about it, I’m gonna have nightmares for weeks now.”

“Good, good,” Cris said, laughing. “Let the hate flow through you.”

They spent almost an hour complaining about the movie.

“You know what?” Nelson leaned back on the bench and stretched his arms. “I actually feel better.”

“You’re welcome.” Cris’ smile was more out of true happiness than gloating as far as Nelson could tell.

Nelson pulled his phone to check the time. “What else do you have planned for us?”

“Hm… there’s still some time before dinner,” Cris said, pulling Nelson’s hand to check the phone too. He closed his eyes and crossed his arms. Then he opened his eyes and turned to the swimmer with a bright smile. “I know. How about the game station?”

As the words reached him, Nelson’s eyes shone with interest. “Oh, man. It’s been ages since I went. I used to go there every year during one of my cousin’s birthday. It was so fun,” he said, the memories flooding back at once, his smile growing.

“Then let’s go!” Cris stood up and pulled Nelson by the hand.

Chapter 10

Nelson was so concentrated he barely seemed to move or breathe at all. He was a rock in a river. He had one eye closed, the other on the plastic scope and his index finger ready to pull the trigger of the toy sniper. A drop of sweat came down his forehead, but he didn’t move to clean it.

“Ignore everything around you. Don’t lose your concentration for nothing. Even me,” Cris whispered in Nelson’s ear.

Even without seeing, Nelson could tell his manager was smiling. He ignored it as best as he could. He knew Cris was just trying to make him miss the target and win their bet and had prepared himself for that. But even he wasn’t prepared when Cris blew gently on his ear.

“Stop that!” Nelson twitched his head and almost took his hand off the game to cover his ear. He managed to control himself and didn’t take his eye from the scope. “Don’t try to cheat!”

“I’m not! I’d never do something so low,” Cris lied with his fake innocent voice. “I’m just… making sure you don’t lose your chance, yeah.”

“The chance to beat your high score,” Nelson mumbled loudly enough for Cris to hear.

“Oh? Is that so?” Cris placed a finger on his chin and tilted his head. “Oh yeah, I see that now. Hm, hm. Hadn’t notice. It’s true that you can beat my score, but that’s only if you DON’T MISS THE SHOT!”

Nelson closed his hands out of reflex and his finger ended up pulling the trigger. He watched in disbelief as his bullet missed the terrorist and hit the president’s daughter, whom he was supposed to save, right between the eyes. The screen flashed GAME OVER in huge white letters and as blood covered it. The swimmer took his eye from the scope and stood up to his full height without saying a word. He turned over to Cris, who was trying and failing to hide his smile.

“Are you happy now? Are you satisfied?” Nelson waved his hand over the screen for dramatic effect. “Are you proud with a victory tainted by cheats?”

Cris couldn’t hold the laughter any longer. Nelson waited in silence with a blank expression. “Oh, come on. Tainted by cheats? Don’t be a sore loser. A victory is a victory.” He made a V of with his fingers, his smile broadening as the swimmer narrowed his eyes and shook his head. “I believe our bet is tied now. What do you wanna play next?”

“Do you really think I’m gonna let you change the subject like this?” Nelson complained. He was still mad for losing, but was having too much fun anyway. He looked around for the next game for them to compete. His eyes shone when he found it, his face illuminating with a smile as he pointed. “That!”

Cris followed his fingers. “Bumpers cars? For real? We can’t tell who’s the winner with this. Actually, that’s not even a game. I get the feeling you’re mad and just want to ram me,” he complained, but still trailed after the swimmer with a smile on his lips.

“It’s been ages since I rode this,” Nelson said as he sat in the car. He opened and closed his hands on the steering wheel, his smile broadening as the memories came back. “Oh, man. I think it’s been over a decade.”

Cris couldn’t take his eyes from Nelson’s smile without a gentle smile of his own. “Yeah, me too. It’s been so long it only lives in my memory now,” he said, pressing his lips. It took a moment, but when the swimmer remembered the line, they laughed together.

“You and your references,” Nelson mumbled.

“Yeah, the captain would be proud,” Cris said. “So, how are we gonna decide the winner?”

Nelson narrowed his eyes and became serious for a moment. The next second, he turned to Cris with a smile. “The one who can’t keep standing afterward is the loser.”

Cris stayed in silence for a moment, and then let out a laugh. “If you want that, fine. But I don’t think I can say not keep standing as the loser,” he said, his smile turning sly. “I love men that can leave me like that, with my legs still shaking and all.”

As the bell rang and the cars moved, they realized their mistake. They tried focusing only each other, but there was a group of kids from a birthday party at the game station, and they weren’t happy that thanks to Nelson and Cris, their group didn’t get to play together.

“What a bunch of shitty brats. I don’t remember being like that when I was a kid,” Cris complained as he leaned over Nelson, using the swimmer as support. “My head hurts after getting ganging up by them.”

“Mine too. I think I’m seeing double.” Nelson blinked and managed to lead Cris to the nearest bench. They sat side by side and the manager leaned over, resting his head on the swimmer’s shoulder. “I hate to admit this out loud, but I really wanted to punch them.”

“Yeah… I agree with you…”

They stayed in silence for a while, resting their eyes until they got better.

“Hey, Cris? Does that… happens a lot?” Nelson asked. Cris mumbled and forced himself to turn his head to where the swimmer pointed.

There was a group of teenagers in the game station. The boys and some of the girls tried and failed to look at Nelson and Cris discreetly. When they realized they were noticed, they stopped staring and walked away, though some still looked over their shoulders.

“Unfortunately,” Cris answered in a tired voice, turning back to lean on Nelson’s shoulder and closing his eyes. “Most people think I’m a boyish girl at first sight, but when they realized I’m actually a girlish boy, their attitude changes. Some get uncomfortable, some get angry, some get turned on and some start giving me weird glances like those.”

Nelson glanced at Cris with disbelief. “That sucks! And you’re okay with that?”

“Of course not. I’d rather live in a society where people would leave others to their business. But we don’t.” Cris waved his hand as if dismissing the subject.

Ah, he knows this more than I do. It’s a sensitive topic. One that he doesn’t seem willing to talk right now, Nelson realized and let go with a sigh. “So you can’t even hang out with a friend without dealing with that kind of stuff. It must be awful when you’re with your boyfriend or a guy you like.”

“Yes and no,” Cris said with a weak smile. “It’s been a long time since I had a boyfriend to worry about such things. But when I had to think about it, I normally dressed as a girl.”

“Why did you need to do that?”

“I didn’t need to, but I was less bothersome that way. First, people didn’t seem to care as much when they thought we were a straight couple. And since I don’t mind dressing like a girl, it was the easiest way.

“You don’t mind dressing like a girl?” Oh yeah. He was dressing like a girl yesterday when we met.

“Yeah. It’s not like I’m a transsexual or a transvestite. My cousin likes to use me as a dress-up doll ever since we were kids and I just ended up liking it.”

“Is that so?”

“Yeah. It’s so fun watching people’s reaction. Most girls get jealous that a boy can be as cute or even cuter than them. And guys get mixed feeling because they’re attracted to a boy.” Cris let out his mischievous and full of satisfaction laugh.

“You’re cute dress either as a boy or a girl,” Nelson let the words escape his lips. He widened his eyes and blushed when he realized what he had said. The swimmer made sure he didn’t glance at Cris, though he had the impression his manager was staring at him with a smile. “So even dressed as a boy, people mistake you for a girl that much?” He quickly asked.

“I’ll let that slide,” Cris mumbled, chuckling. “To answer your question. Yeah, almost all the time. Just like you did yesterday.”

“Hey, that wasn’t exactly my fault. Not only you were dressed as a girl, I assumed you were one because of your name. And the fact that I have rarely seen a boy manager didn’t help either. But let’s not dwell in the past.”

“Fine, fine. You’re right. But either way, we need to settle our bet. I’m interested in what you’ll ask of me if you win.”

“And what you’ll ask?”

“To fulfill my offer,” Cris said, looking up at Nelson from the same position and raising his eyebrows. “But that’s only after we finish. What should we play next?”

The manager looked around. They had spent most of the afternoon playing, and by now there were few games left that they could compete.

“How about basketball?” Nelson asked, standing up. “I doubt you can find a way to cheat at that.”

“I suck at it but okay. But Nelson?” The swimmer turned around to face Cris. “Let’s not dwell in the past,” he said, showing a bright smile that made Nelson laugh.

“Wow…” Nelson had no idea what to say as he stared at the score.

“Don’t say it. Don’t you dare say anything.” Cris looked everywhere but Nelson.

Nelson covered his mouth, but it was plain that he was smiling. “You said you sucked, but I never thought you couldn’t hit a single basket.” He couldn’t hold anymore and laughed.

“Shut up!” Cris punched Nelson in the arm. “Just because you’re tall you can hit it easily! If I had your height, I could do that too!”

“Height has nothing to do with it. Let me show you.” Nelson stood behind Cris. He gently grabbed the manager’s arm and positioned them in a shooting position. “You move your arms and hands like this. Yes. That’s right. Like this”

As Nelson showed the way again, he never noticed Cris blushing, nor the manager’s heart thumping faster.

“Ready to try for real now?” Nelson swiped the card and chose the easiest mode.

Giving his best, Cris managed to score five baskets this time. “Yeah, I did it. I’m awesome,” the manager said, turning around with his arms raised in victory. “Thanks to you, I score my first points without relying on luck. I think that’s the first time I see my score on double digits.”

“The lowest double digits, but still, congrats,” Nelson said.

Cris raised his head, closed his eyes and showed a bright smile that made the swimmer’s cheek go a shade of pink. I never noticed how cute he can be, Nelson thought, looking away. No wonder guys can be attracted to him…

It only lasted a few seconds, but as he looked at that smile, time seemed to stretch to Nelson. What broke the trance was the phone ringing. The swimmer widened his eyes and his cheeks lost its color when he looked at the screen.

“What’s wrong?” Cris asked in a low and worried voice.

“It’s… my doctor…”

Cris placed a firm hand on Nelson’s arm. “Answer.”

He took deeps breaths a few times and then held it before pressing the screen and bringing the phone to his ear. “Yes?”

“Nelson? It’s me,” the doctor said and nothing in his tone indicated if the reason he called was good or bad.

“Hi, doctor. If you’re calling, it means… it means you got my results, right?”

“Yes. I received a while ago, but I was looking at it, just to make sure. And I’m—” he stopped to cough a few times. Nelson’s hand gripped tighter around the phone as the rage, anxiety uncertainty filled him, but he kept his mouth shut. The doctor cleared his throat before speaking again. “Sorry. As I was saying, I’m happy to say that you’re cured.”

“I am…?” Nelson didn’t dare to believe, his breathing shallow and fast.

“Yes, complete cured. You can go back into the pools and bring many medals.”

“Yes! Thank you, doctor. Thank you so much!”

The doctor laughed. “Just take it easy in the beginning, okay?”

“Yeah, of course,” Nelson said. He turned to Cris, who was already smiling. “I’m cured.”

“I heard. Congratulations,” the manager said.

Before he realized what he was doing, Nelson hugged Cris tightly and spun the manager around a few times, almost jumping out of happiness. Right now, he didn’t give a damn if people looked at them or not.

“I can finally get back,” he said almost crying.

“Yes, you can,” Cris said in a low voice hugging Nelson back with all his strength. “Let’s aim for the top together.”

Chapter 11

It was a much better day than I thought, Cris thought as he got home. Despite how tired he was, he couldn’t stop smiling. I’m really glad he’s cured. Now he can focus on his dream… Too bad I couldn’t give him an oral today. It might have been my last chance. Since it’ll definitely get in the way of his performance, it’s best if I don’t keep tempting him… I want him to succeed too, but I wished he had accepted my offer.

Feeling more happy than sad, Cris went to his room. When he had undressed and got ready to sleep, his phone rang. Of course, he thought the moment he saw who was calling. For some reason he didn’t know, he had the feeling he wouldn’t like answering that call.

Cris put it on mute and let the call end. She’ll give me an earful tomorrow, he knew, but he was too tired to listen to his beloved cousin. However, before he lied on the bed, the phone vibrated again, this time with a text.

Pick up, Mari wrote. Cris winced but ignored. The phone vibrated again. I know you’re up. Gulping, the boy pressed the screen and brought the device to his ear.

“Hey, little cousin,” Mari said before he could speak anything. “Could you tell me how you dare ignore me?” she asked in a soft voice, pretending she was holding back her fake rage.

“I wasn’t ignoring you… I just got home and I’m tired…”

“Tired of your date with Nelson?”

Cris opened his mouth, but then gave up finding an excuse and sighed. How did she know? “It wasn’t a date… We just… hung out, that’s all.”

“Sure, sure,” Mari used the condescending voice that Cris hated. “Then tell me this. Didn’t you two watch a romantic movie together?”

“I wouldn’t call that movie romantic,” Cris said, remembering how much fun he had trash talking the movie with Nelson.

“…”

Even with her silence, Cris could tell his cousin was grinning on the other side of the line.

“Fine, we watched a movie, so what? Lots of people watch a movie with their friends. Is it wrong for a gay guy to watch a movie with his straight friend?”

“Of course they can. Especially when the gay guy wants to suck the straight guy’s dick.”

Cris blushed. It’s almost as if she could read my mind. “We’re friends,” he said in a not convincing voice.

“A hot guy that you spent the entire day with is still just a friend, huh?”

“Yeah, just a friend.”

“And afterward didn’t you go with this same friend to the arcade and then eat dinner with him?” Mari went on as if not interrupted, not making any effort to hide how much fun she was having.

Cris gulped and shuddered. “Can you tell me how do you know all that?”

“Oh, little cousin. I have my ways to know. Ways that you shan’t find out,” she said, all mysterious. Then she couldn’t keep the façade anymore and laughed. “It was Francis. He was at the mall and took a few pics of you on your date. I have to say, he was quite jealous.”

“I never realized he was there…” Why is he jealous? He was the one who said he wasn’t ready to go out, but wanted to just be friends with benefits.

“’Cause you were too busy enjoying the first date with your new boyfriend?”

Cris sighed loudly. “I told you, it wasn’t a date. Not the first, nor the second nor any number. And he’s not my boyfriend.”

“Yet, you mean.”

“…”

“No comment, huh?” Mari laughed. “Then explained me how you two were hanging out on the arcade after watching a romantic movie together but you won’t call it a date?”

Cris had given up putting some sense into his cousin. She’ll only like it more if I keep denying. I’d rather not give her the satisfaction. “We hung out today ‘cause I was trying to keep his mind busy. He had an MRI today and was too anxious for the results. So I kept him company until the results came out.

“Sure, sure. Aren’t you a great friend?” Her voice was full of sarcasm.

“Friend and manager. And as his manager, it’s part of my job. I’ll help him whenever I can.”

“You say manager, but all I can hear is boyfriend.”

“Then you should check your hears.” Cris threw himself on his bed, exhausted. “I give up trying to reason with you. You know very well why I’m not looking for that.”

“Yeah, I know that, little cousin.” Mari’s voice lost all the sarcasm and now was genuinely worried. Cris could tell. “But didn’t you say Nelson was different?”

Cris took some time to answer. “I think he is. No, I know he is. I only met him yesterday, but after spending all day with him, I can tell he’s a nice guy and cares about others.” The manager hadn’t forgotten how Nelson got angry because some teenagers were staring at Cris. I think it was the first time someone did that for me, he thought, smiling with the memory.

“You’re already falling for him?”

Cris widened his eyes as his heart thumped faster and his cheeks went red. This time he stayed in silence for a long time. “He’s straight, Mari.”

“As if the guy you liked being straight has ever stopped you before,” Mari said with a loud snort. “Even if you don’t want to get in the way of his goal, remember this. Dating isn’t an obstacle. Just because you had one bad experience with a swimmer, doesn’t mean it’ll happen again.”

“I need to get some sleep,” he said after a while. “I woke too early today and I need to prepare his schedule for tomorrow.”

“Right, right. Nice way to dodge me. But tonight I’ll let you slide. Good night.”

Even after she had hung up, Cris’ cheeks were still hot and his heartbeats weren’t back to normal. He stared at his phone as his cousin’s words echoed in his head.

I know dating isn’t an obstacle, but that has nothing to do with it… I mean, just met him, so there’s no way I’m already falling for him. He’s hot and all, but I’m not looking for a relationship. And neither is he. And besides, go out another swimmer… Even if Nelson’s different. Even if got angry for me when I told I was used to receiving those stares when I’m hanging out with a man…

Cris shook his head. It’s all Mari’s fault. I shouldn’t be thinking about these things. Even if he’s a nice guy, even if he’d never hit me, right now he can only focus on his goal. If I really like him, I can’t get in the way. I need, no, I want to help him reach his goal.

With that in mind, Cris had lost all sleep. He sat back up on the bed and got ready to make many calls.

Chapter 12

For the second day in a row, Nelson woke before the alarm rang. He stayed in bed and turned around, staring at his phone on the nightstand, waiting for the usual ringtone.

As the minutes passed, a smile crossed his lips. I’m cured, he thought, savoring the words. He placed both hands on his face and laughed. “I’m cured,” he said aloud, his smile growing.

I can finally go back. Back into the pools, to the world where I belong. The thought seemed somewhat surreal for the swimmer. All the pain, all those days when I could barely move and wanted to give up… when I just wanted it to end it all… everything is behind now. Now I’ll I need, all I have to rely on is my own hard work, he thought, opening and closing his hands.

The moment the alarm rang, his hand flew to get the phone and turned it off in just seconds. He stood up at once, washed his face in the bathroom and changed into his workout clothes. It feels somewhat different from yesterday, Nelson thought as he looked at his reflection.

After jogging, I’ll go eat something and then… what? He stopped as he put on his shoes and stared at nothing. I don’t have physiotherapy anymore…

Sometime after he took off the cast on both legs, his everyday life was pretty much same. Nelson would wake up, work on the warm-ups and exercises the physiotherapist had given him, eat breakfast, go to physiotherapy all morning, eat lunch and then spend the afternoon on different treatments depending on the day.

As he got better and started to move without the need of a cane, the physiotherapist began adding a few exercises. The morning light jogging, a few pushups and crunch ups here and there and then half hour on the bike. All while taking it easy, as the doctor insisted in reminding. But now that I think about it, all that was also to make sure my physical form didn’t go to the trash. I was starting to fat up. What would Cris say if he saw those pics? Nelson wondered, laughing.

But soon he stopped laughing, the smile vanishing from his lips. Today is truly a different day. I don’t have physiotherapy anymore… Instead of happy, he felt the anxiety filling him. What should I do? Talk with my couch is a given, but what else? How about the personal trainer? He’ll need to make a new routine for me, right? I also need to check up the next competitions. Since my rank is so low, I’ll probably have to start competing at state level again. Or even at municipal level…

Nelson shook his head. That doesn’t matter at all… Even if I have to get back at the municipal level, as long as I can swim, as long as there’s a way, I’ll reach the top again. All I need is time. Yes, with time… But do I have that? My contract expires next year. How many competitions do I have until then?

He tried counting on his fingers, but he had forgotten. Damn it. He picked up his phone and started searching it. As Nelson’s mind worked more and more, the anxiety grew. His breathing became fast and short and his heart beat faster as he waited both the Brazil’s and Pernambuco’s water sports federations to load.

But before he could check the future competitions, his phone rang with a call. Who could it be at this hour? Despite the cold room, he cleaned the sweat from his face before answering. “Hello?” he said in a dry hoarse.

“I knew you’d be up. What’s up with that voice? Are you pretending to be Batman so early?” a drowsy and familiar voice joked on the other side. Then the person let out a big yawn. “I had a strong suspicion, but now I’m sure. You really are one of those weird people who can and actually like waking up early.”

Nelson opened his mouth, but instead of words, he let out a chuckled. With a few jokes, he already made all my anxiety go away, the swimmer thought, smiling. “Hey, Cris. To what do I owe the pleasure? Perhaps you’re calling to say you gonna jog with me again? I thought it was a once in a lifetime deal, but I’ll gladly accept your company.” As he said the words, Nelson realized he really meant those words. Everything's more fun with him around.

“And it was. There’s no way I can wake up early to jog twice in a row. Maybe in a decade,” he said in a serious voice. Then his tone changed to the playful one. “That’s like winning the Cris lottery twice. And you don’t need that, since you already have me all to yourself. But if you wanna be greedy, I don’t mind.”

“That’s too bad.” Nelson laughed before he realized. Even without seeing, I know he has that cute sly smile, the swimmer thought, not realizing his own smile. “Then could you please tell me why are you up and calling me at this hour?”

“Let me come up with an excuse.” Despite his words, Cris used a serious tone. He hummed loudly, as if he was truly thinking about it. “It’d be too gay if I said I wanted to hear your voice the first thing in the morning?”

“I think it’d be a lie. But I’d be flattered and with my ego way up. We know each other for like two days, but I can tell you’d never wake at this hour for something like this.”

“Hmm… You’re more right than wrong, so I’ll give you some points.” Cris chuckled and yawned at the same time. “Before I end up sleeping again, I wanna ask how’s your schedule for today.”

Nelson gulped, all the happy mood gone in an instant. “I have jogging right now, but after that I… I’m free.”

He managed to control himself. For a moment he was about to say ‘I don’t know what to do’, but changed in mid-sentence. Cris would help me with those feelings, the swimmer knew. Actually, he’d help but also make fun of me.

“Wrong answer,” Cris said in the playful tone again. “And your punishment for getting the wrong answer is a busy schedule for the rest of the day. You’re no longer free. Wait, that seems a lot more wrong when I say it aloud.”

Cris mumbled the last part more to himself than to Nelson. But it was loud enough for the swimmer to hear and crack a smile.

“Busy schedule? With what?”

“After you filled your six pack, you have a physical exam. You know, to check out if you’re still hot, I mean, in shape,” Cris pretended to cough and fixed his words. “After that, you have an appointment with a personal trainer and a nutritionist.”

“Nutritionist? I thought all the food in the cafeteria was already made for a balanced diet.”

“Yes, but I think you need a specific diet to get back in shape. I set up an appointment with my uncle just in case. I mean, the board was lenient with you until now because of your situation, but they’ll probably won’t let you eat all those cakes anymore. So better safe than sorry.”

“Wait, they knew about the cakes…?” Nelson showed a yellow smile. “Guess you’re right… better safe than sorry.”

“But wait, there’s more. Your busy morning isn’t over yet,” Cris said as if announcing some big news. “To close up the morning, you’ll have a talk with your coach.”

Those words lit Nelson’s face. “Really? Then I’ll—”

“Before you get your hopes up, I must say that you probably won’t be jumping into a pool today,” Cris said in a low voice, all the playful tone gone. “The coach wants to talk and check up on you, but he told me he’ll only let you in the pool after seeing your physical condition.” He kept quiet, waiting for Nelson’s reaction.

The swimmer pressed his lips, letting his manager’s words sunk for a while before speaking. “Even though I’m cured, I still can’t get back into the water…”

“You’re shocked, right?” The playful tone was back at once. “I’m too. One of the things I’ve been waiting ever since I was assigned as your manager was to see you shirtless, I mean, training after so long.”

Nelson opened his mouth and then let out a laugh despite how he felt. “You never let me feel down, huh? You always know what to say to make me laugh.”

“It’s the mark of a good manager,” Cris said in a bright voice. “It’s even in the manager’s handbook.”

“Is that so?” Nelson tried to show his disbelief while smiling.

“Yeah. To clear the athlete’s mind so that he or she can focus on the sport.”

“Then let me tell you’re doing a great job. Please, keep this up.”

“Yay. Then I’ll ask for a raise.” Even without seeing, Nelson could imagine Cris lying on his bed with his eyes closed and a smile on his lips.

“You should. If anyone asks, I’ll say you’re having a great start,” Nelson said truthfully. Then he decided to follow up on Cris’ joke. “By the way, I never heard of a manager’s handbook. What else is in it?”

“Oh, there’s a lot. You’ll see with time. But,” suddenly Cris lowered his tone of voice. A tone that Nelson knew it was accompanied by the sly smile, “all the really fun stuffs are in the secret handbook.”

“What kind of fun?

“The kind of fun I offered yesterday.”

“Yesterday?” Nelson thought for a moment. When he understood, he felt a reaction down there and blushed.

“Did you get hard?” Cris said in the sly tone. “My offer is always on. Whenever you ask, I’ll get down on my knees and my mouth is yours.”

“I… I… ah…” Nelson gulped as his member got harder and harder. “Are you… for real…?”

“I’m serious.” Suddenly Cris laughed. “The offer is true, but I’ll stop bringing it up. Though I really want to, I promised myself that I’d stop tempting you.”

“Is that so?” Nelson didn’t know if he felt happy or sad for that.

“Besides, I’m already getting hard with the idea. If I keep talking, I won’t get back to sleep without relieving myself.”

“Is… that so…?” Nelson tried, but all he could think now was Cris relieving himself. What the hell am I thinking?

“Changing the topic.” Cris did the favor of taking the swimmer’s mind off the picture. “There’s one more thing, Nelson.”

“Why do you sound serious all the sudden? It’s like I’m in trouble,” he tried joking.

“The club… my dad wants to set up an interview for you.”

“An interview?” Nelson breathed out slowly. It sounds so surreal now… as if it something from another world. “That’s… It’s been so long since the last time… I think it was after I started the physiotherapy… then wanted to show how the prodigy was recovery and all, but they lost interest after that…”

“Yeah…” Cris dropped his voice to a serious whisper. “They’ll probably bring up touchy subjects… that you may not be ready to talk about…

“I see…”

“If you’re not ready, I’ll talk with dad. I can make him back down,” Cris added quickly.

“No, I…” Nelson bit his lips and took a deep breath. “Thanks for looking out for me. But I have to deal with that in the future. I mean, since my goal is the top and get the gold medal in Rio 2016, I need to overcome these things.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes,” Nelson said in a strong voice. “Set up the interview.”

“Okay then, I’ll keep it on your schedule.” Cris gave another yawn. “I think that’s all the morning schedule. I’ll join you for breakfast and give you the afternoon’s schedule. After I get some sleep.”

“Ok,” Nelson said. But then, when Cris was about to finish the call, the words came out of him, “Thanks for worrying about me. I know you’re doing your job and all, but your help has been… thanks for everything.”

“No need for that. I told you I’ll help you reach the top. Bye.”

Nelson couldn’t stop smiling at Cris’ words even after he hung up.

Chapter 13

“That was complete discrimination,” Cris said the moment Nelson left the exam room. The manager stared at the swimmer, shaking his head with an angry expression.

“Are you really gonna keep saying that?” Nelson tried to keep his face straight as he walked beside Cris, but it was hard. The manager’s indignation was too funny.

“Yes. I’ll keep saying until this world is rid of injustice like those. It was discrimination against me,” Cris said again, emphasizing every word. “Everything was going fine with your physical evaluation. You said I could stay inside, but then, out of nowhere, my aunt kicked me out of the room. I repeat, out of nowhere. Just because you took your shirt off and I was kinda staring a little. If I wasn’t ‘asked to leave’ ‘cause I’m gay, then I don’t know why.”

“Are you really gonna keep saying that you did nothing?” Nelson asked, not bothering to hide his smile anymore.

“Yes. I did nothing wrong.”

“You were taking photos of me the moment I took my shirt off,” Nelson said slowly, savoring the words. He wasn’t mad about it. In fact, the change from indignation to surprise on Cris’ face right now was too amusing for him. But he did his best to keep his face serious.

“I… ah…” The swimmer opened his mouth, but couldn’t for a sentence. He scratched his neck and looked around, not meeting Nelson’s eyes. After a while, he licked his lips. “I… didn’t realize you noticed that…” His voice was full of guilt.

“Yeah… you took the sound of your phone, but you forgot the flash.” Nelson tried to suppress his laugh, but it was getting harder and harder with all the expressions Cris made. “Did you or did you not take photos of me when I took my shirt off?”

Cris covered his mouth with a hand and coughed. “I have the right to remain in silent,” he said in a serious voice, trying his best to suppress his smile.

“I’ll let you stay in and even film all my physical evaluation if you show me your phone right now.”

Cris quickly hid his phone behind his back. “As much as I’d like to take that tempting offer, I mean, not that I’m that interested in seeing you shirtless. But showing you my phone would be an invasion of my privacy.”

Nelson stared at Cris for a long while. “Let me see it,” he said suddenly, jumping on Cris.

The manager turned around and tried to put the phone out of the swimmer’s reach, but he was too tall for Cris.

After a quick struggle, the phone was in Nelson’s hand.

“You’ll…erh… you’ll… yes! You’ll regret for the rest of your life if you see the things on that phone,” Cris almost screamed, still reaching out his hand to get the phone back.

“Oh yeah? And why is that?”

“’cause… erh…” Cris bit his lips and looked around, desperately trying to find any reason.

“You know you’re only making me more and more curious with all that, right?” Nelson couldn’t stop laughing at Cris’ despair.

“Nudes!” Cris screamed, his face lighting up as if he had finally got the answer. “Yes! There’re lots of nudes! Nudes and so many photos of dicks and ball and naked guys even a gay guy would feel ashamed. So, for your sake, not mine, you better don’t look at that phone!”

“Is that so?”

“Yes! Trust me!”

Nelson looked between the phone and the desperate face before his eyes. With a sly smile, he slid to unlock the device and checked the latest photo. “Then could you please tell why is there a photo of me among all that?”

“I… ah…” Cris blushed and averted his eyes. “I… a selfie! Yes! I never meant to take a photo of you shirtless! I wanted to take a selfie, but apparently I didn’t use the front camera and somehow ended up taking a photo of you.”

“Are you really gonna use that excuse?” Nelson stared at him in disbelief.

“You mean the truth? Yes, I’ll stick to the truth!”

Nelson tried, but he couldn’t keep within him any longer and burst into laugh.

Their conversation had been attracting some stares, but now the people around looked at them bluntly. Cris flushed and hid his mouth with a hand, but then even he couldn’t hold his laugh anymore.

“That made me feel better,” Nelson said after he was done laughing.

“Glad my shame is amusing.”

“Is that what you said when we met?”

Cris opened his mouth to reply, but let out a chuckle. “Fine, fine. You won this round.”

“Yeah.” Nelson closed his fist in victory, getting more laughs from his manager. “So where next? The nutritionist?”

“Before that, the personal trainer,” Cris said without checking anything.

Nelson bit his lips as he stared one of the gymnasiums containing the indoor pools. He closed his eyes and let out a huge sigh.

“That’s later.”

“I know, I know…” Nelson tried, but couldn’t take his eyes off the door. “It’s just…”

“How long it’s been since you entered that gym?” Cris asked in a low voice, watching the swimmer’s reactions.

“Not that long,” Nelson answered after a few moments watching the huge double doors in silence. “I’ve entered once or twice…”

“Per day?” Cris asked with his eyebrow raised.

Nelson opened his mouth and then smiled. “I have the right to remain in silence.”

“That’s annoying, you know?” Cris muttered under his breath.

“But today’s is different ‘cause…” Nelson went on as if not interrupted.

“It’s kinda like your comeback,” Cris completed the sentence.

The swimmer nodded. “Aren’t you gonna tell me something like ‘don’t worry. You’ll hardly swim today! So don’t fret about that!’ with a smile or something?”

“It’s no fun if you already know what I’m gonna say,” Cris said, trying and failing to suppress his smile. “And is that how you see me?”

“Kinda,” Nelson shrugged and answered with a tiny smile.

“I’ll decide later if that’s a good or a bad thing.” Cris walked a few paces ahead and turned around with a smile. “Come, you have a lot to do before you talk to your coach.”

Drawing courage from that smile, Nelson followed.

The personal trainer and the nutritionist were faster than they expected.

“Guess there wasn’t a lot to talk about, since they already have your results,” Cris said, checking the training program the personal trainer had set for the swimmer. “There’s a lot of this muscle regeneration…

“Yes… Despite training, it wasn’t anywhere near what I did before. Of course I lost a lot of muscle…”

“But at least you kept the best part,” Cris said, bending down to look at Nelson’s belly closely. He stared at it with a serious expression and then poked a couple times, nodding in approval. “The six pack is still firm, I see. Good, good.”

Nelson rubbed his belly. “Yes, thank you. I needed a boost of self-esteem before talking with the coach.”

“That’s what I wanted. Now let’s go.” Cris grabbed Nelson’s hand and pulled the swimmer through the double doors.

“Wait, my heart’s not ready—”

“Nelson! It’s been too long, son,” the coach said the moment he saw Nelson. He walked to the swimmer and gave him a strong hug. “I’ll tell you, we lost a lot without you. Our team in London wasn’t the same without your presence. Everyone’s saying.”

Nelson let out an awkward laugh. “I don’t know if that’s good or bad,” he said, scratching his chin.

“I knew you’d say that. Always humble, you. Though I’m not sure this is something good for a professional athlete.” The coach’s smile broadened. After a few friendly slaps on the swimmer’s shoulder, the coach’s smile was replaced by a serious expression as someone on the pool called him. He nodded and turned to Nelson. “I still have this class. We can catch up later. Show me your physical evaluation and training program.”

“Here.” Cris handed the papers to the coach.

The coach studied the papers for a while. He nodded and kept quiet, except a few hums here and there. Nelson and Cris kept their silence too, neither wanting to break his concentration. The swimmer stared at his coach and waited, not realizing he was holding his breath.

“For an accident as bad as yours, your condition is just as you’d expect. But don’t worry. It’s not as bad as I’d feared,” he quickly added when he saw Nelson’s dejected expression. He wrote something in the papers. “You need a lot of muscle regeneration. Gym in the morning and hydrotherapy in the afternoon. Hopefully you can get back in a week or so. Cris?”

“Yes!” the manager took a step forward and fixed his posture, as if he was a soldier waiting for an order.

“Bring the exam to the MD. They’ll organize a specific regime for him,” the coach said, handing the exams back to Cris. Then he turned to the swimmer and lost all sign of friendliness. “Nelson, I know you. You’re already thinking about making up the time by working hard. But that will hurt you and won’t help your comeback. So I need you to promise you won’t overdo.”

“Yes, coach. Of course,” Nelson said at once, nodding as best he could with his stiffed neck.

“He didn’t believe you,” Cris said after they left the gym.

“What do you mean?”

“When you promised you wouldn’t overdo.” Cris looked into Nelson’s eyes. “It was written all over your face.”

Nelson sustained Cris look for a while. “You don’t need to worry,” he said in a low voice. “I know my body better than anyone. I only work hard within my limit.”

“For the record, I don’t believe in you either.” Cris had a serious expression. “That’s why I’ll keep a very close look on you. I’ll feel bad if you got hurt again.”

“Don’t worry, I—”

“I’ll worry.” Cris let out a sigh. “But since for the future. Now you need to focus on the interview.”

Nelson winced. “I had forgotten about that,” he said, scratching his head. He pulled his phone to check the time. “But isn’t that after lunch. There’s still like, an hour.”

“Yes, but there’s something you need to do first.”

“What?”

“It’s a secret.” Cris’ sly smile broadened as he walked away.

The swimmer went after his manager. “What is it?”

“Let’s have lunch,” Cris said, completely ignoring Nelson’s question.

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 14

“So you’re the Nelson, the athlete I’ve been hearing a lot about for the past few days,” the woman said, eying the swimmer from top to bottom as she walked around him.

“And you’re the Marina, the makeup artist I’ve only heard in the last half hour ago,” Nelson said.

“You can call me Mari.” She laughed and they greeted each other with a kiss on each cheek. After they finished, the woman turned to Cris with an angry expression. “So my little cousin hasn’t spoken anything about me… I can’t believe the betrayal.”

“Those words coming from someone known as a drama queen has little effect on me,” Cris said, rolling his eyes exaggeratedly.

“And that coming from you sounds like sarcasm.” Mari looked at her cousin with a defiant expression.

Cris narrowed his eyes and sustained her stare, neither of them making any sound.

Before he could stop himself, Nelson chuckled. He pretended to cough to hide, but it was too late. He showed a smile as the cousins turned to him. Then Mari and Cris smiled and laughed at the same time.

“You two look too alike,” Nelson said, looking between each other. “Are you sure you’re not brother and sister?”

“We’ve heard that before,” they said together and the three of them laughed.

“Not to brag, but the reasons for this is because I was kinda his heroin growing up.” Mari placed her hand on her chest and showed a fake humble look on her face. Then she gestured to Cris. “All of this is thanks to me.”

“Oh, so that means I can put all the blame on you?”

“Come, sit here, Nelson.” Mari looked at her cousin for a moment and then blatantly turned to the swimmer.

“Hey, answer me.”

The makeup artist ignored Cris as she turned the chair in front of the mirror around to Nelson. “We don’t have time to be laughing. Though you don’t need a lot of makeup, I need to check the colors that suit you before.”

Nelson looked at the chair with an empty face. Then, as his expression soured, he looked at the makeup set on the table. In the end, he turned to Cris. “Is this really necessary?”

“Yes,” Cris said, making no effort to hide how much he was enjoying the situation. “You need makeup if you’re gonna appear on TV. That’s common sense.”

“Whose common sense?”

“Everyone’s.”

Despite the smile, Nelson couldn’t find any lie on Cris’ words. “Still… This is more your kind of thing…”

“What?” Mari lost all trace of happiness. She walked to her cousin side and put both hands on his shoulders with an expression of indignation. “Are you saying just because Cris is gay means makeup and other normally girly stuff are his thing? It’s okay for a gay man to wear makeup, but not for a straight guy? Is that what you’re saying?”

Nelson looked at the woman with a blank expression, the complete opposite of her. “No,” he said in a voice devoided of emotion. “I said it’s his thing ‘cause when we met, he was wearing makeup. And dresses as a girl. And he also said that you’ve been using him to practice ever since you two were kids. So I assume he’s used to wearing makeup and has no problem.”

Mari stared at him for a moment, the silence filling the room. Then she turned her face and clicked her tongue. “Damn it. Cris told you’d be one of those who doesn’t get all jumpy under those kinds of talks. No fun.”

Nelson turned to his manager tilting his head. Cris chuckled and showed an awkward smile. “My cousin here likes to make people uncomfortable with speeches about minority and stuff.”

“It’s not my fault it’s fun to see people all jumpy,” she said, letting out a mean laugh. “There are people who kinda froze and others starts spouting apologies and that they never meant, praying no one thinks they’re discriminating… It’s really fun.”

“Okay…” Nelson turned to Cris and whisper loud enough for Mari to hear too. “I know I just met your cousin, but that’s a weird hobby she has.”

“Hey, I heard that. And come on, don’t be like that. You’re making me sound like a bad person,” Mari said with a yellow smile. Then she shook her head and waved her hand to dismiss the topic. “Instead of that, sit here so I can start.”

Nelson winced again at the chair again.

“When we say makeup, it’s not like we’re gonna put lipstick on you and make you cross-dress,” Cris said, trying not laugh at the idea. “No wants to see that.”

“Somehow, when you say that with an expression like this, it doesn’t make me feel better.” Nelson sighed and looked at the chair again. “Is this really necessary?” When Cris nodded, the swimmer sighed again and sat on the chair. “Fine, I trust you.”

“Great.” Both Mari and Cris smiled and spoke at the same time. However, Nelson had the impression his manager’s smile was slightly different than his cousin’s.

As the makeup artist began her job, a phone rang. Cris walked away a little before picking it up. “Hello? Yes, this is he. Okay, just a moment.” He placed a hand on the phone and walked back to them. “I need to answer this.”

“So Nelson, what do you think about my cousin,” Mari asked in a casual voice when they were alone.

“He’s a good guy. Just hanging out with him is fun. Though I must say he’s like you.” Nelson chuckled. The makeup artist had a puzzled face when she met his eyes through the mirror. “He likes to make people uncomfortable with gay jokes,” he explained.

Mari’s face lit with comprehension. Then she laughed. “That’s good to hear, I guess. It’s been long since I saw my little cousin having so much fun at work. But when I asked what you think of him, I meant as manager.”

“Oh.” Nelson narrowed his eyes a bit. He thought about Cris’ work as his manager for a moment, but the words just escaped him with a smile. “So far, he’s been excellent. Even though it’s been only two days, he made sure to organize everything. If not for him, today would’ve been a disaster thanks to my disorganization. But also, yesterday… If not for him by my side, I might’ve been a mess.”

“That’s a relief to hear.” Mari sighed and resumed her work. “I don’t know if he mentioned, but he’s sort of in the middle of a fight with the family.”

“Yes, he did say something about that… it seemed it was deeper than he let out…”

Mari kept quiet for a long time.

“Being a manager’s a temporary job. Many people do it more to get experience, a bit of cash and references from the club. But Cris… he’s been doing this for a long time now. Normally, he should be in college, or at least trying to get into one, but since he has no idea what to do, he remained as a manager.”

“He mentioned that too…”

“Yes, but no one wanted him to stay as manager. Even without the college stuff, being a manager has been… troublesome for him.

“What do you mean?”

“The last person he managed was this religious girl and she was… awful. She was one of those devout Protestants and whenever she could, she’d make mean comments and jokes about homosexuals and how they’d end up in hell. Cris tried his best to ignore it all without saying anything to us. Just to make his job. He put it up without complaining, giving his best to help the girl.” Mari stopped working and took a deep breath, as if trying to control her anger. “But the worst was when she lied to Cris. She invited him to her church, saying it was to pray for the Lord to success. But the truth was that it was one of those anti-gay masses made especially for him.”

“What?” Even if he had just met Cris, Nelson felt angry. “How could she do that to him?”

“Fanatics… That day… It really hurt him. More than he lets on… Being told by people he didn’t even know that he’d go to hell for being who he is, that he was doing something wrong just by existing….”

Nelson thought back of all those times Cris smiled at him. “I had no idea…”

“My cousin likes to joke around but he doesn’t want to burden anyone. He has always worked hard. But after that day, he resigned as manager. But when the family started pressuring him about his future, he decided to work as manager again. So I worried he’d still be affected by the last girl, but I was more worried about the guy he’d be helping.”

Nelson stayed in silence for a while, thinking about everything Mari had told him. He looked at her through the mirror. “I don’t know about the past, but I promise I won’t do anything to hurt him.”

“Good.” Mari showed a bright smile and resumed her work. “Then I guess I can leave Cris in your hands.”

Before Nelson could say anything, the door opened and Cris walked back. The manager looked between the swimmer and the makeup artist. “Sorry it took so long. What were you two talking?”

Mari and Nelson exchanged looks. “Nothing,” they said at the same time, exchanged looks again and laughed together.

“What? Tell me.”

“It was nothing,” Mari said, suppressing her smile.

“Yeah, nothing,” Nelson said, not meeting the manager’s eyes.

Cris pressed his lips, but then shook his head. “I’m gonna ask about this later, but right now, you got other things, Nelson. TV people are here.”

“Perfect. ‘Cause I’m done.” Mari put the finishing touch.

Nelson looked at his reflection. “I… don’t know what to say… At least it’s not what I expected…”

“What did you expect? A drag queen?” Cris asked, smiling.

“That did cross my mind, yes…”

“Then I’ll say this. You look good. But you look hotter natural.” Cris’ smile turned sly.

Nelson chuckled and smiled too. “Would it be too narcissistic if I agreed with that?”

“A lot, but I’ll allow that,” Cris said. Mari laughed and they turned to her. “What?”

“It’s just that you two seem friends that have known each other for years instead of two people who met a couple days ago.”

Nelson and Cris looked at her and then at each other and chuckled at the same time.

“Stop flirting you two. You can do that later,” Mari said with a smile. “They’re waiting for you.”

“Yeah…” Nelson stood up with great effort. He turned to the door and then glanced back at his reflection.

“You look good,” Cris said walking closer to the swimmer. “There’s no reason to worry. It’s just your first major interview after ages.”

“That’s what I needed. A bit more pressure.” Despite his words, Nelson let out a tired laugh.

“It’s my job,” Cris smiled.

Nelson stared at that smile and then sighed, doing the same thing before he noticed.

Mari watched everything in silence, covering her own smile.

Chapter 15

Nelson sat on the edge of the pool, moving his legs dangly inside the water. He stared at the little waves he created, watching disappear with a blank expression.

“Hey,” a soft voice spoke.

Nelson knew it was Cris’ voice, but didn’t turn to his manager. “Hey,” he said in an absentminded voice.

“How you are feeling?” Cris sat next to him, also putting his legs inside the water, adding more waves.

The swimmer thought before answering. Still without looking at his manager, he sighed. “Vulnerable. Do you think that’s a good word?”

“It’s… an honest one,” Cris said in the same soft tone.

Nelson chuckled. “Guess that’s the best way to describe me now. An honest and normal guy…”

“You say that likes it’s a bad thing. I like that, you know?”

“Glad to know at least someone does…” Nelson said nothing else. Cris kept quiet too, waiting. “How did you know I was here?”

“I’d like to say it’s one of the powers we get as managers. Find our swimmers and be at their side whenever they need, but sadly I haven’t unlocked that skill yet,” Cris said in his usual cheerful tone, shaking his head. Nelson turned to him and couldn’t help but chuckle. The manager closed his eyes and showed a bright smile. “You finally laughed!”

“You always know how to make me laugh.” Nelson laughed and smile. “Then is your job here done?”

“Not at all. You won’t get rid of me that easily.” The manager’s smile became bigger.

“I’m relieved to know that.” Nelson stared at the water again, but this time, there was a smile on his lips.

Cris looked at Nelson from the side. Before he noticed, his cheeks were red and turned to the water too. “It wasn’t that hard to find you,” he said before the silence took over again. “With a quick search, I found out this was the only pool without any practice schedule right now.”

“Did you check my room? I could’ve gone there.”

“We don’t know each other for that long, but I know you wouldn’t go to your room to clear your head. You’d go to a place with water, even if you didn’t enter. Just being near water calms you.”

Nelson was about to reply, but he gave up and let out a sigh instead. “Guess I’m that easy to figure out…”

“Again, you say that as if it was something bad.”

“It’s not? Well, guess we disagree on this then.”

“It’s not something bad,” Cris repeated in a firm voice. “I like guys that are honest and don’t keep any secrets.”

“Glad someone does.” Nelson took a deep breath and looked at the ceiling. “Was the interview as bad as I remember?”

“Not at all.” Cris shook his head and showed a gentle smile. “The TV guys were happy. Everyone enjoys a heartfelt interview like yours. I liked it too.”

Nelson sighed. “That doesn’t make crying in the local news any less embarrassing.”

Cris’ lips twitched but he managed to suppress his smile. Despite giving his best, the manager couldn’t keep the happiness out of his face. “Not that I wanna kick you while you’re down, but it was national TV.”

“Great, great. Even better.” Nelson rubbed his eyes, letting out a hollow laugh. “Can’t imagine what everyone’s gonna say when they come back from London and watch that.”

This time Cris couldn’t hide his smile. “If it helps, they’ll probably watch it today.”

“Just what I needed. I thought it was sugar, spice and everything nice. Not a dash of humiliation.”

“Don’t be like that. It doesn’t make you any less of a man showing emotions.”

“I know that, but to cry—”

“The reporter asked some delicate topics. About the accident, the coma, all the work you’ve being doing to get back… Crying after talking about all that doesn’t make you weak. It makes you human.”

Nelson turned his head and looked Cris in the eyes. “Thanks… I needed to hear that. But it wasn’t only that… I… I… don’t know how to explain…”

“Try. I’ll listen to whatever you say.” Cris’ voice was barely above a whisper.

“I… wanted to be there in London with everyone,” Nelson admitted, not looking the manager in the eyes. “Even if I had to trade places with someone. I wanted to be there, giving my all for a gold medal. Don’t get me wrong. I’m rooting for them all, but… I felt envy… maybe even hatred… because it happened to me…”

Cris put a hand on Nelson’s chin and gently made the swimmer meet his eyes. “I said that you’re honest and doesn’t hide things. But I forgot to say that you’re a good guy too,” he said with a gentle smile.

“Thanks… I guess…” Nelson tried to turn his head, but Cris didn’t let him. “But what does that have to do with—”

“There’s nothing wrong with those feelings.” Cris didn’t smile. There was no happiness on his face. There was only a strong determination in his eyes.

Nelson blushed. “It still feels wrong…”

“We all have dark thought here and there. But you didn’t say nor do anything wrong or bad. To anyone. Never. You did nothing wrong.”

“Thank you for saying that.” Nelson closed his eyes and leaned to rest his head on Cris’ chest.

The manager gently wrapped his arms around the swimmer. “Whenever you need me, I’ll be there.”

Nelson didn’t break the hug. He stayed as he was, feeling the warmth coming from his manager. He’s so small, but seems so reliable, the swimmer thought, listening to that heartbeat.

“I feel better after this,” Nelson said when he broke the hug and stood up. He ran a hand over his face. Can’t believe I almost cried again, he thought with a yellow smile. “Thanks for putting up with me.”

“Anytime.” Cris smiled and stood up too. “If there’s anything else you need, let me know.”

“I’ll hold you to those words.” Nelson showed a sly smile. But when he finally noticed what his manager was wearing, he was taken aback, the smile vanishing from his lips at once. “What are you wearing?”

Cris tilted his head and looked down at his own clothes. When he looked back at Nelson, he had the sly smile. “What do you think?” the manager asked, turning around to show his clothes from every side.

“I… ah…” Nelson had no words. He cleared his throat and averted his eyes many times before finally managing to speak. “Are you… wearing something… under that…?

Cris wore the Brazil’s delegation jacket. But with the zipper closed to the top and only his bare legs appearing around the hem of the clothes, it seemed as if the manager wore nothing but the jacket.

“Are you interested in what’s under my clothes?” Cris’ smile became even slyer. He walked closer to Nelson, leaning his body forward when he was close enough. The manager placed a hand on the hem of the jacket. “If you are interested, I can show it to you.”

“I…ah…” The swimmer blushed and looked away. But no matter how much he tried, his eyes ended up on his manager.

Cris lifted the hem a little. It was not enough to reveal if he wore something underneath, but it was enough to make Nelson’s breathing shallow and rapid and his face even redder. “Or better yet.” Cris let go of the hem and took the swimmer's hand, bringing it to the zipper near his neck. “If you’re interested, you can check for yourself.”

Gulping, the swimmer’s hand froze. He looked between the manager’s face and the zipper. Before he could stop himself, his trembling hand moved. Very slowly and under Cris’ sly smile, Nelson pulled the zipper all the way down.

Chapter 16

Even though there was no more way to pull down the zipper, Nelson didn’t let it go. He stared at it for a long time before raising his eyes to look at Cris’ face.

The manager looked back at him with his teasing expression, the smile never leaving those lips. With difficulty, the swimmer opened his stiff fingers and released the zipper, taking a step back.

But before Nelson could find out if his manager wore something underneath or not the jacket, Cris held the top and the bottom with his hands, his face red.

“Are you ready?” he asked in a timid and unlike voice. Nelson gulped and nodded. Fidgeting, Cris looked more embarrassed than the swimmer. He averted his gaze, looking at Nelson through the corner of his eyes. “Even for me, this is embarrassing… Normally when I do this, is when I’m about to…”

Cris didn’t finish the sentence, his cheeks even redder. Nelson nodded again, unable to say a word. The swimmer didn’t notice, but he was holding his breath as he waited for his manager to reveal what was underneath his jacket.

“Okay… if you really wanna know what I’m wearing underneath… here it goes…” With his hands trembling, Cris closed his eyes, turned his face and opened his jacket in one move.

Nelson didn’t know why, but he closed his eyes at the same time. His breathing became faster and shallow. But the curiosity was eating him from the inside. After long seconds, the swimmer opened his eyes a little.

Underneath the yellow and green jacket with Brazil’s flag, Cris was wearing a light blue women's swimsuit.

“Too bad! I’m not naked!” he screamed.

The manager laughed as his swimmer showed many expressions. First, Nelson had a blank face. Then he dropped his jaw. The next moment, he moved his hand in the air and closed and opened his mouth several times, struggling to find words, any words. The next second, his lips moved as if he spoke, but no voice came out. In the end, he trembled and covered his face with a hand. After a few seconds, he laughed.

“You tricked me!” Nelson managed to say between laughs.

His voice echoed in the indoor pool. Then Cris’ voice joined his, both man laughing.

“You were the one interested in what was underneath my jacket.”

It took a while for them to stop laughing. Nelson held his belly and then breathed to recover his breath. “It’s been a while since I laughed like that,” he said, still smiling.

Then he took a better look at Cris. With a better glance, he knew it was made for competition due to the fabric, but it wasn’t for professional sport. He observed his manager from head to toe, and couldn’t help blushing when he saw the bulge between the legs. He’s really a guy, he thought, averting his eyes.

“What’s with that swimsuit?” he asked to take the attention away from him. Cris had noticed Nelson was staring. He could tell by his manager’s smile. “I think I’ve seen it, but I don’t know where… I mean, it’s not a swimsuit for pros…”

“This?” With a smile, Cris spun a few times so his swimmer could see both sides. He even lifted the hem of the jacket to make sure the swimmer saw his butt. “It’s a Japanese school swimsuit. It’s cute, right?”

“A Japanese school swimsuit?” Nelson stared at him for a long time. “Why do you have something like that?”

“Mari landed to me. I had bought one to work with you, but that swimsuit was… let’s just say a little too stimulating,” Cris answered with a sly smile, putting his hands behind his back.

I think that one’s stimulating enough, Nelson thought, not looking at Cris directly. “What kind of swimsuit did you buy?” he asked voice what was in his mind before he realized.

“You’re so interested in me in swimsuits. That makes me so happy,” he said, putting his hand behind his back and getting closer to Nelson. “The other swimsuit was… inappropriate for a workplace. But perhaps one day you might see me wearing it…”

“I… I… don’t know what to say…” Nelson did his best to not face Cris. It was too hard without to not look at his manager and not get stimulated.

“Seeing your reaction, it was worthy borrowing this,” Cris said, backing away, still smiling. He took off his jacket and stretched his arms. “Hey, give me your phone and wallet.”

Nelson took them out of his pocket without a second thought. But then stopped before handing it to his manager. “Why?” he asked, suspiciously.

“Do you trust me?” Cris turned his palm to Nelson. The swimmer looked between the hand and the owner and handed his phone and wallet. “Thanks for trusting me.”

Cris wrapped the objects with his jacket and put it on the floor. After he was done, he turned to Nelson with a grin, walking around him.

“W-what?” the swimmer stuttered under that smile, never taking his eyes off Cris. He might not know his manager for a long time, but he knew long enough to know that smile was planning something.

“Don’t you remember that one of my jobs is cheering you up?” Cris asked with a serious face. Nelson tilted his head. But before he could do anything, the manager pushed the swimmer with both hands.

Everything moved in slow motion for Nelson. First, he realized he was falling into the pool. Then he turned his head to his manager. When he saw that smile, he tried to catch his Cris’ arm and pull the man down with him.

But the manager was too fast. Before the swimmer could get ahold of him, Cris pulled his arm out of reach. Then there was nothing Nelson could do except fall into the pool while staring at the grin of the boy dressed in a girl’s swimsuit.

The swimmer rose his head above the water. He breathed and cleared the water from his eyes. “Why you did th—” before he could finish asking, Cris took a few steps back and ran, jumping into the pool too. Out of reflex, Nelson covered his face when the water splashed.

Cris put his head above the water and smiled at the swimmer. “I know it’s supposed to be a big deal and all. I mean, you’re in a pool after so long, but…” he blushed, placed a hand on his cheek and turned his head, pretending to be embarrassed, “I couldn’t wait and decided to steal your first time for me.”

“You’re an idiot, you know that?” Nelson’s open mouth turned into a smile as he laughed. He went after Cris, but the manager swam away, their laughter echoing inside the gym.

“That actually made me feel better,” Nelson said after they got out of the pool half an hour later.

“You’re welcome!” Cris exclaimed with a bright smile.

“I can’t deny your part on this.” Nelson couldn’t help but smile too as he took the excess water from his hair. “I miss competing, but I just fooling around in the water like this… don’t remember the last time I did this. Maybe when I was a kid…”

“Then my job here is done!” Cris’ smile didn’t fade even as he trembled from cold.

Nelson noticed and looked around. But he didn’t find any towels nearby. He picked up Cris’ jacket with his phone and wallet. “Let’s get out of these wet clothes before you catch a cold.”

Cris’ smile turned sly at once. “I like where this is going.”

Nelson stared at him with an empty face. The next second, he chuckled and shook his head. “You really are like your cousin,” he said, walking towards the locker room.

Cris winced as he trailed after the swimmer. “I don’t know if that’s a compliment or not…”

“I’ll leave that up to you. Hey, do you have the key?” Nelson asked when he tried opening the door of the locker room.

Cris pulled a key from one of the pockets of his jacket and unlocked the door. He grabbed two towels from the first locker and threw one to the swimmer.

“Is this okay? I mean, it’s for the staff and all” Nelson said, looking between the towel and the manager.

“No problem. And we are staff, technically. At least I am.”

Without a word, he accepted the towel with hesitation.

“It’s washed if that’s what you’re wondering. We here at the club make sure all the towels are clean,” he said in a proud voice.

“It wasn’t worried about that, but I’m glad to hear that.” Despite his expression, Nelson dried his hair and body.

Before he noticed, Nelson was watching his manager dry himself. I didn’t notice before, but that swimsuit is tight. It really enhances the shape of his slim body… and the fabric clinging to him…

Cris dried his long black hair carefully, but there were still some wet spots. A few drops fell and slowly traced the outline of his neck.

Nelson couldn’t take his eyes off as he watched the drops slid down into the chest and get absorbed by the swimsuit. But his gaze didn’t stop when the drops disappeared. His eyes went down Cris’ body.

The manager started drying his legs and Nelson could only watch. He has nice legs… I mean, they’re slim and firm… His heart thumped louder.

When he realized what he was thinking and doing, the swimmer blushed, turned around and focused on finish drying himself. He’s a guy, the swimmer had to remind himself. He’s a guy… No matter how cute and… sexy… he looks, he still has… one down there… just like me…

Nelson knew that and tried to keep his mind empty. But despite his will, he couldn’t stop stealing glances at his manager drying his slim body.

Cris finally noticed. He placed the towel around his neck and He walked closer to the swimmer.

“Are you, by any, chance intently watching me dry myself?” he asked in a playful tone.

The swimmer became an alarming shade of red. “I… eh… I…”

“You’re making this really hard,” Cris said, sliding a finger down Nelson’s belly. “I promised myself that I wouldn’t tease you so much, but you’re making it really hard to keep that promise.” His hand went further down.

Nelson looked too, noticing the bulge between in his trunks. He widened his eyes, but before he could hide with his hands, Cris got there first.

“There’s no need to be embarrassed. It’s a natural reaction,” he said, undoing the laces of the trunks. “Speaking of which, we didn’t settle on your reward.”

“R-reward…?” Nelson gulped, paralyzed. He didn’t know what to do. But even so, his trunks only got tighter. “Reward for what…?”

“For yesterday. You won our little bet, so you deserve your reward,” Cris said, pulling down Nelson’s trunk.

His member was hard and up. It was inches away from Cris’ hand.

“S-shouldn’t I be the one choosing it…?”

“It seems your friend already chose it.” Cris touched it lightly, smiling at Nelson’s reaction.

The swimmer made sure to look his manager in the eyes. “But… but…”

“Last time I couldn’t do nothing ‘cause we were at the hospital. But today, there’s no way I can’t let a boner go by again without taking care of it,” he said. “If you don’t want me to, you can push me away…”

Nelson did nothing. Cris showed a sly smile before getting on his knees.