About The Anon and her private blog

cruciatus

Many of you are familiar with the scanlator The Anon, others may not be. She began scanlating sometime last year, before quickly going private because her projects would end up on manga-reading sites and some scan groups would use her scans to release in their language without asking for permission.

How she operates

Even after screening members and making them jump through hoops before granting them access to her private blog where she was sharing her releases, there would be a "leak" now and then - some or the other project would end up on sites like Myreadingmanga. She would kick up a huge furor, delete her blog, then make people go through the same mindless process again to gain membership. Sometimes, some other translator or group would release their version of one of her manga projects, since they don't know its being worked on privately and available only to a limited number of people. Then a different kind of drama would begin, allegations of "stealing projects" would fly.

Earlier this year, she went public again for a brief period of time. I say "brief" because of course, her releases again ended up on MRM and some Korean group used her scans, same old. So she went darkside again, leak happened again, she purged members, created another new blog, same old.

What role do I play in this circle of madness?

I got friendly with her when she pointed out someone was hotlinking download links of raw mangas on YO. I was also a member of her blog. While she was public, I shared her releases on YO, since she did not have a "Do not reshare/reupload" clause back then. That happened only after she went private and respecting her wishes, I stopped sharing her releases here too.

My mistake was when she went public again in May 2017, I assumed her releases were once again free to share on member locked communities like ours. I created threads of some of the mangas she released at the time.

A few days later, when we were chatting, she told me she was thinking of going private because she was sure her projects would end up on MRM or some other site again. I told her I'd shared some of her releases on YO after she went public and apologized if I wasn't supposed to do that. I told her it was a misunderstanding on my part and offered to get those threads deleted. She didn't say anything and eventually went back to private a few weeks later.

Then midway through June, some of her mangas appeared on MRM in quick succession. She contacted me on the 20th, asked if I could take those mangas down from YO, assuming this is where the "leak" came from. I complied and by June 22, I'd removed the links from all of her projects which I'd shared when she'd been public.

Why bring this up now?

Now, one of her projects, namely Triangle, which she'd posted when she'd been open to the public, ended up on MRM today. Once again, she's assuming that the leak came from YO. On her new secret blog (she's deleted the old one already) she's posted a snapshot of

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
as being the source of the leak.

THqRyK4.jpg

But she's very conveniently left out the portion where it clearly shows that there's no download link available and that it had been deleted back in June itself.

What she is not telling us

The thing is, leaks have been happening from her blog all along. Be it manga or drama cds, members on her site have been accessing her links and reuploading elsewhere on reader sites.

Let me tell you what happened when she shared Drama CDs on her site. This was in April and even before that, when she was still in private mode. "Personal use only, don't upload elsewhere" she said. But these cds ended up on YO and Aarinfantasy by two different members of her community. She told me their names (I won't take names because they may still be members here for all I know). She contacted the mods here, who immediately deleted those threads.

Why the mindless hate?

I want to reiterate that I did not share any of her private releases. I admit I screwed up when she went public again. I removed the links of all her projects when she asked me to two months ago. I'm no expert on the psychology of people who "leak" stuff, but I think if they want to leak something, they don't wait for two months. Why would I or another YO user leak anything when it hasn't been available on the site for the last two months? Whereas all download links to the Anon's projects can still be accessed by the 9000+ followers of her private blog.

By her own admission, she's been allowing new members to join her private blog.

Projects not on YO and only shared privately have ended up online anyways. (

)

We cannot control the internet.

And despite there not being any download links of her projects available on YO threads, she still believes the leak came from here beacuse her blog is the freaking NSA and infallibly impenetrable?

I'm neither saying what happened was right, nor that she deserved it. But this whole business of blaming the blameless has to stop. She says she's glad it's not one of her members. How do you know that? Because a nameless, faceless person on the internet told you they would never, who then kissed your ass for granting them access to your blog? Yeah, I totally believe that.

It is possible that someone downloaded it from YO 2 months back and uploaded it to MRM today. It is equally likely that someone who recently joined her blog did it. Where is the evidence that it happened from YO? Where is the evidence that it did not happen from her blog?

Till conclusive proof can be produced, lets not point fingers, shall we?

~Cruciatus

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cruciatus

• Key

• KohakuShadow

• Saga

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello cruciatus,

I will be not taking sides in this farce although I have my very own views, however I strongly advise you to drop the attempts to make that person believe you into whatever you are trying to justify yourself - the reason is simple.

If the person does not wish to have you on the white-list, they will black-list you on each next corner. Even worse, the more you try to make them see the fault, the more they will see it as a fault. Psychologically speaking here, nothing subjective.

What can YO Staff do in this case?

As I am not the only one from our staff, I can only throw one suggestion here. If all of you, including the staff and you, cruciatus, agree - so shall we do.

All threads related to that person's projects shall be completely removed and we will make a public announcement with a special thread (also put as an announcement on the home page of YO where we also put our manga releases, right under the banner) that we ban the upload of Anon Group manga [translated or not], whoever uploads it will be warned once and on the second upload of such a project - there will be a ban.

The reason for such drastic measurements?

If all you say is the truth, then this person cannot be confronted - should not be confronted. We are a respectful community, we respect uploaders/scanlators/translators and we follow their wishes. But if we begin to create fights, claiming we are the good guys - that cause, of being the respectful community and the good guys, will die. We will be seen as anything but respectful and good. The person who claims we are a garbage site which does awful things is not the first and will be not the last. All we can do is stay quiet, follow the wishes and let the wise ones decide who is whom and what.

People talk, but a few do the deeds.

I am waiting for all of you to state whether you agree or disagree with my suggestion.

(just because I dislike someone of you being mentioned the last).

Regards,

Saga

I would have to agree, the removal of the group's projects from the forum along with an announcement on no further uploading of the groups projects is probably the best thing to do.

As Saga said, we are a respectful community and if this group does not wish for any of her work to be posted outside of her own blog, then we have to respect her wishes.

Hey

!

By now I'm used to you being the unbiased voice in these forums. (:

I'm not justifying my actions to The Anon, nor do I intend to get back into her good graces. The time for that was past when she chose to mislead everyone by publically bashing this community, without discussing the matter of a possible "leak" with me or you, the mods first. She's clearly decided that we're the bad guys here.

I've just tried to lay the facts before the members of YO, since there're a lot of things the other party is not saying or deliberately obfuscating.

Yes, I agree with the idea of a ban on uploads of The Anon's content and have already spoken to

about dealing with the threads of her projects.

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with you

@
and
. We'll delete those threads even though they have no download links on them and we'll make an announcement for uploaders not to share their projects.

It's disappointing to be considered the bad guys, to be blamed, though we don't share the material, while other sites do and the leak could as well have come from any of the 9k members who have access to the materials directly from the translator's blog.

But yeah, we'll do our part so we cannot be blamed anymore in the future.

• 1 month later...

sorry but i just have to say it >.

(and i'm right here quietly watching you guys like a little peasant with heart-shaped eyes admiring the nobles/generals having discussion and whatnot XD)