The Rainbow Six [Group Magical Boy Roleplay]

BlaqueCatt

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Well even if the five of them could manage to work toghether, Garnet should still be able to crush them cause Garnet was unintentionally using his Red power of super strength and speed. I think that's what Exellda was alluding to

Hit the nail right on the head, Hal. Of course he's not using full power because it hasn't 'unlocked' yet. His powers go unnoticed by everyone because his powers are not 'flashy'. Nothing weird about a guy who is a great player. Garnet would be on equal terms without his powers, but with them, he's guaranteed a win.

Reminder that he's not at full power by a long shot. He just so happens to have slight access to it. All of the six were born with their powers... I just simply chose to make it so Garnet has had access to his slightly. He is, as Hal said, unintentionally using his powers. So even if you guys did work together, you'd still lose horribly.

Plus, I'm like the only one who has actual knowledge about basketball- not using anime. xD lol Sorry, but prepare to lose- and possibly interrupted by whatever evil Syvlio has unleashed.

Edit:

In regards to making a last minute team.

And yeah, I'll leave it for now. They'll all team up soon eventually anyway.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Noise Prince

• BlaqueCatt

• hal7283

• Exellda

Right, but I was thinking that due to the lack of full power, he'd be more like an exceptional athlete rather than a supernatural one? Which could mean he could cream maybe two-to-one or even three-to-one but five seemed like a long shot to me. But now I'm starting to think that I've greatly underestimated how much access they have to their powers lmao. (Like Dominic's never has a problem with water pressure anywhere lol i guess i need to beef that up)

• 4 weeks later...

So here's something that's been worrying me a little as we approach the first fight and that's how we're going to handle fight scenes.

Action-y stuff can be pretty difficult in roleplaying in general, but especially in a group this big. Our current pace is fine for the human drama-y bits, but for combat, it'll make things take forever and feel slow paced, and it's not really something to gloss over in a magical boy story.

Here are some ideas that may or may not be better or worse than going on as normal, in no particular order:

1. God-mode Narrator:

Instead of writing one character, a reply in combat would mean writing all the characters for all or part of the fight scene. For example, Blaque's reply where combat starts at the end of a reply, and my reply would write the first half of the fight, and Yukio's reply would wrap it up, and then Exellda's reply would get back to normal to handle the aftermath.

Pros: -Quick paced- Only one person involved

Cons: -The dreaded God-Mode- Unfair burden- Unfair if others' characters aren't handled well

2. Heroic Roleplaying:

Borrowing from another realm of roleplaying, we rely on the combat system from a tabletop game - I'll explain more about this in another spoiler box. I'm personally going to recommend adopting and maybe modifying Marvel Heroic Roleplaying. The system is not like traditional tabletops, but various attributes and skills are assigned a dice type rather than bonuses like DnD. Then one person writes the fight based on the results.

Pros: -Fast-More Fair -Organized and Reliable -Everyone has a say in their characters' actions

Cons: -Burden on one person, the same person -Everyone needs to collaborate before it can be done and may involve some 'juggling' -Non-experienced players (which I'm guessing is probably all of you? >.>) might find it difficult to grasp at the beginning.

3. Rainbow Heroic Roleplaying:

Like above, but we just devise our own system, curated to our roleplay needs specifically from the ground up.

Pros: -Simplified -Made for our specific purposes -Easily integrated

Cons: -A lot of work beforehand -Will take quite a bit of playtesting -Probably will need lots of tweaking -burdens one person again

Heroic stuff:

In Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (Yes, based on that Marvel) variable situations are handled with dice rolls. It employs 4-sided die (d4) 6-sided die (d6) 8-sided die (d8) 10-sided die (d10) and 12-sided die (d12). When more than one is used of a kind, the multiplier is listed first. Ex. Three 4-sided dice would be abbreviated as (3d4)There is also something called PP (PlotPoints) - sometimes called bennies or tokens in other games, there is no physical representation, but using them means the player gets to influence the situation more than the random outcome allows. These can be earned through various actions, such as letting a distinction have a negative impact (by choosing a d4) rather than a positive one. This allows for say, if a negative trait keeps the character from succeeding, this gives the player the chance to create a sort of redemption later with the plot point earned.

When rolling for a decision, players roll a pool of dice corresponding to the character sheet. We'll adopt the Affiliation- how well the character works with others, Power Sets, obvious, and maybe Specialties and Distinction, non-power stuff that might come into play.

The book example is Captain America. He's affiliation Solo: d6 Buddy: d8 Team: d10

He works best in a team, so when in a team he gets a d10 put in his pool of dice.

His distinctions are Lead By Example, Man out of Time, and Sentinel of Liberty which is d4(+1 pp) OR d8 (this is universal for distinctions)

So this would add either a d4 or a d8 to the pool

Powersets: Super Soldier= Enhanced Durability (d8) Enhanced Reflexes(d8) Enhanced Stamina(d8) Enhanced Strength(d8)

Vibranium-Alloy Shield = Godlike Durability (d12) Weapon (d8)This would add one die from each set based on what's being applied (so up to two)

Specialties: Acrobatic Expert(d8) Covert Expert (d8) Vehicle Expert(d8) Combat Master(d10) Psych Expert(d8)

This would add one die based on what's being applied

In this example, Captain America is with The Avengers and is going to throw his shield at an enemy. For the team, he gets a d10 and the shield as a weapon will be a d8 added. His combat specialty, at a d10, can be exchanged for 2d8 or 3d6, he chooses 2d8 here. And his ehnanced strength at d8 will come into play

Captain America's Pool D10 d8 d8 d8 d8 (two d8s instead of one d10)

Results 7 6 5 1 3

He rolled a 1- it's taken from his pool and added to the Doom Pool (something the opposition draws from in a similar way PP is used) but he also gets a PP for this. Now, he chooses two in order to use for his total. Then, he'll choose one of the remaining as his effect die, which is how well he accomplishes it, if his total is greater than the opposition.

Total Effect Die

7+5 = 12 6

The enemy goes through a similar process, and the totals are compared. Whoever prevails, that's when the effect die comes into play.

It's hard for me to be objective when it comes to explaining some of this, so let me know if it's confusing and I need to re-explain something better ^w^

As much as I'd love to actually find someone to play DnD or CoC or whatever more complex table top RPG one day, I find adopting the dice rolling system would be too nightmarish to organize, since it essentially means we need 10 character sheets each with different skill sets with actual numbers and an untold number of character sheets for monsters and minions, and they all had to be balanced.

That being said I understand the concerns over action scene with such a massive roster. I think each of us most definitely should write our own character in combat, cause only the RPer knows how their character would act exactly. For instance even though Roland's power seems passive and suplentary with light and healing and such, I actually imagine him to be quite aggressive in battle, which you guys may not play/write it as such.

So my take on it is, each of us post the action we take on that turn, and once all actions are made we resolve the turn and move on to next turn. I'm trying to think how does it actually work in real life but I am too tired to think at the moment....See you guys around....

Okay, okay... So I can understand the worry, Noise. I'll be the mean person who says 'NO!' to the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying idea... because goodness I hate that style of battle unless I am actually playing DnD... And even then the whole dice thing always confuses the fuck out of me. To be honest I didn't even finish reading the post Marvel Heroic Roleplaying part because I actually got bored with it- And I am sorry for being an arrogant asshole and I'm being extremely biased when I say I do not like the idea at all. Thanks for the idea though, it's a good place to start whether I like it or not.

As the role play already is- No one but the Colorless knows what evil has been unleashed and so, currently it's up to anyone playing the colorless to describe the fuck out of the villain and their attacks as well as anything else they might do- along with their characters they play. That said, those who are playing Colorless and Rainbow don't always have to react first in terms of their Rainbow reacting first to Colorless- they can just have a Colorless- moster/evil reply and then everyone can respond accordingly.

I would also like to mention that if we keep it the way it is now- only Colorless will be coming up with the evils... But I was thinking that it would be nice if everyone at some point got a chance to pitch it an evil idea. For example, whatever Sylvio unleashed, he knows what it is- and possibly so does the other colorless. However, as it is- no one else knows what it is that's being unleashed. Which, yes, Rainbow is not supposed to know at first- Ok-

I don't know if the Colorless (hal, Noise, Yukio) are talking with each other to agree on what evil they just unleashed. But this can work in several ways. 1: they work together on what evil is unleashed and all their replies can add a little bit more to the fight/description/reactions etc. 2: maybe each Colorless unleashed their own variation of evil that perhaps the other members don't exactly control. The evil they make, they create its weakness/description/attack etc. And perhaps the other Colorless don't even know the evil's weakness, only the one who created it.

Also, I do like the idea of passing it around so that way it's not just hal, Noise, and Yukio unleashing the evils all of the time. Yes, some things would need to be planned out. But I was thinking that (I'll use myself as an example) I could come up with obstacles/monsters for Rainbow as well (and possibly everyone else). I would talk with Colorless- This is my monster idea, here's it's weakness and here's it's attacks. Example: Monster- tentacle monster. Weakness- fire or ice. Attacks- (could be a plant monster or other, I'll be using plant monster in this example) uses it's vines like a whip, fast movement, water/sun gives it a power boost, has thorns that can pierce skin, can throw poison thorns at enemies------ and so on.

It can be short and brief just like that- enough material for Colorless to work with. As the creator of the monster, I'd know his weakness but Garnet/ Ari wouldn't. Whenever you create a monster for Colorless to use, the monster cannot be weak to your own character's power.

In general, I'd be very willing to come up with monsters Colorless can use against Rainbow. In any case, this monster idea can be applied to obstacles for both sides. For example, getting their 'charms' or whatever. (Using a ring as an example) You can say that your charm is a ring. Say that Garnet's charm is a ring and that whenever he wears it, it makes him able to fly or whatever. Since it is your character's charm, you can add a whatever power boost to it, just can't be super OP. Also, keep in mind what trials your character has to complete to get a hold of the item. Example, would be Garnet trying to get the ring, but can't get to it unless he carries a boulder 'x' amount of distance within 'x' amount of time to a certain platform. Or it could be something silly like an invisible city flying in the sky. They have to find it and get their charms.

I think I said exactly what hal said but waaaaaaay more wordier.

I agree that we should be able to control our own evil's and how our characters react to them.

I feel like I forgot something and I'll add it later when I remember. I probably explained this very poorly xD so uh... if you need further explanation then feel free to ask about it. I'll try my best. I'm pretty scatterbrained right now xD

edit:

Monsters that come in multiples like minions can attack our character's individually. Reactions vary, can beat a minion and help someone, or be defeated by one and call for help and so on.

No monsters- brain washing and such- Whoever created it, they dictate how it works and it's weakness. Simple.

Okay, I should have clarified a little better, when I said 'Adopting the Heroic Roleplaying system is an option' I didn't mean "We can lift their combat system and use it" because yeah that'd be ridiculous, I mean more "Let's use this part with the dice assigned to ability" because I personally see it as easier than the stats of other similar games, and thought it'd be easiest to adapt. My fault for spending too much time explaining the mechanics of it though, lol. But in theory it really wouldn't need a bunch of character sheets and rebalancing the mechanics or anything. Though if Exellda feels that strongly about it, it's probably not worth it even if the process was magically painless.

And that's why #1 is my least favorite, but it would hypothetically be the easiest to implement, but yeah, I also think that it's best for everyone to have the most control over their characters' actions, and I thought that something like the last two might be a good way to have that while still not lagging.

So, Hal, if I'm understanding your last paragraph, you're suggesting the kinda 'six-second' round in some tabletops? Like, say Blaque starts the combat, then everyone's actions happen in the same six seconds until it's Blaque's reply again?

I'm just really worried that needing to wait a week to throw a second punch is going to take it's toll overall, y'know? So other ideas for stream-lining that are not dice-based and work better would be welcome?

And I'm personally fine with non colorless players' input on that kind of thing :3

Okay, I should have clarified a little better, when I said 'Adopting the Heroic Roleplaying system is an option' I didn't mean "We can lift their combat system and use it" because yeah that'd be ridiculous, I mean more "Let's use this part with the dice assigned to ability" because I personally see it as easier than the stats of other similar games, and thought it'd be easiest to adapt. My fault for spending too much time explaining the mechanics of it though, lol. But in theory it really wouldn't need a bunch of character sheets and rebalancing the mechanics or anything. Though if Exellda feels that strongly about it, it's probably not worth it even if the process was magically painless.

And that's why #1 is my least favorite, but it would hypothetically be the easiest to implement, but yeah, I also think that it's best for everyone to have the most control over their characters' actions, and I thought that something like the last two might be a good way to have that while still not lagging.

So, Hal, if I'm understanding your last paragraph, you're suggesting the kinda 'six-second' round in some tabletops? Like, say Blaque starts the combat, then everyone's actions happen in the same six seconds until it's Blaque's reply again?

I'm just really worried that needing to wait a week to throw a second punch is going to take it's toll overall, y'know? So other ideas for stream-lining that are not dice-based and work better would be welcome?

And I'm personally fine with non colorless players' input on that kind of thing :3

If I understand clearly it's gonna be something like....let's say we use a six side dice, Roland has three skills assigned to the numbers like....1-2 is healing light, 3-5 is light beam, 6 is ultimate beam. Garnet has 1-2 for normal punch, 3-4 is normal kick, 5-6 is ultimate punch. For the monster 1-4 is normal attack, 5-6 is fire breath. Obviously the skill set is common knowledge for everyone. Then in Exellda's turn in addition to writing about Garnet as however he wishes, he can also roll the dice to see how would Roland and the monster act during their turn.

Let's say Exellda rolled a 2 for Roland, and 5 for monster, so he may write something like:

Garnet cleave his way through the dozens of minions standing between him and stood in front of the monster. It growled furiously and breath fire at Garnet, who tried to dodge. He managed to dodge most of the flame but the fire still scorched his hand, melting his gauntlet completely. Seeing this Roland cursed and raised his arms towards the red haired young man, then the next moment a warm yellow light surrounded Garnet's body and the gauntlet returned to its former state. Garnet turned to Roland and smiled: "I knew I could count on you!" then he rushed towards the monster again.

Then let's say it became my turn, I rolled 6 for Garnet, 2 for monster. And let's say we agreed that the fight has lasted long enough. So I write something like:

Roland blushed hearing the straight forward gratitude coming from the rich brat. "Wha...what?! You.....ah I really hate you...." He muttered as he launched a barrage of light and vaporized several minions rushing towards him. He then yelled to Garnet: "Just don't be so clumsy next time you idiot!" He then turned his attention back at the battle at hand. Even though Roland could deal with the minions without any problem, his light just don't have the same "punch" towards the big monsters as Garnet's strikes, and even though he'd never admit it out loud, he knew Garnet was probably the most powerful when it comes to destructive power among the group, and no evil can withstand Garnet's might.

And he was quickly proven right, as Garnet rushed towards the monster with super speed the beast tried to catch him, swinging its claws and tentacles in vain, the next moment Garnet leaped in mid air, the very space seemed to tremble as power began to flow towards Garnet's fist, which was now letting out a bright red light. His punch landed right in the middle of the monster's face, and the next moment the entire upper body of the monster vanished, as well as the wall ten feet behind it. The lower body of the monster collapsed to the ground and slowly turned to a black mist. When the mist dispersed as usual the girl who got turned into the monster lay there unconscious, right beside her the broken pieces of the dark crystal.

So what do you guys think? This may still tread dangerously close into god-modding territory but it maybe a fun way to do things?

QUESTION!

Who's to say I don't roll all 6 xD ;) How will you tell? Haha

I mean, I don't anticipate Garnet hitting Roland with an ultimate punch per se. If anything it might be playful or to 'hit' some sense into him... Although against an enemy, I don't see why he would hold back unless he couldn't actually punch/kick the enemy- minion. Garnet hitting an enemy at a 2 would be pointless unless he was restrained and that was all he could manage. If an enemy is going to attack (I'll use Roland since hal used Garnet as an example lmao) Roland and Garnet wanted to either save him or charge at the minion... Then he wouldn't walk to Roland (at a 1 or 2, if he fell he'd get right back up). He would run right for him, either pushing him out of the way and take the hit or pick Roland up and take him to safety- Either that OR tackling the monster itself. I guess what I am saying is that there are certain instances when dice rolling doesn't make sense... xD Which works for DnD but this is not DnD...

I suppose we could all agree not to defeat the enemy in one go xD and at least give everyone a chance to reply once- or twice... Three plus for bigger battles? No need for dice??? xD

Just a thought lol

Edit:

I love your depiction of Garnet, hal lol Good job.

QUESTION!

Who's to say I don't roll all 6 xD ;) How will you tell? Haha

I mean, I don't anticipate Garnet hitting Roland with an ultimate punch per se. If anything it might be playful or to 'hit' some sense into him... Although against an enemy, I don't see why he would hold back unless he couldn't actually punch/kick the enemy- minion. Garnet hitting an enemy at a 2 would be pointless unless he was restrained and that was all he could manage. If an enemy is going to attack (I'll use Roland since hal used Garnet as an example lmao) Roland and Garnet wanted to either save him or charge at the minion... Then he wouldn't walk to Roland (at a 1 or 2, if he fell he'd get right back up). He would run right for him, either pushing him out of the way and take the hit or pick Roland up and take him to safety- Either that OR tackling the monster itself. I guess what I am saying is that there are certain instances when dice rolling doesn't make sense... xD Which works for DnD but this is not DnD...

I suppose we could all agree not to defeat the enemy in one go xD and at least give everyone a chance to reply once- or twice... Three plus for bigger battles? No need for dice??? xD

Just a thought lol

Edit:

I love your depiction of Garnet, hal lol Good job.

You don't roll a dice for your own character on your own turn, but rather RP however you like. The point of the dice roll is to move the battle quickly while making sure that other people's characters would still move according to their natural behaviors even when it's not their turn. Kind of like an auto-pilot for the other characters until their respective turns. And be mindful that it's just an auto-pilot, so don't over-describe other people's behavior. Like in the above battle example in Exellda's turn only Garnet talked, and Roland didn't respond to his comment until it was My turn, cause you can't and shouldn't auto-pilot dialogues.

And also, the dice can represent more than just skills, but also behaviors. For example, Raven's move list at the beginning may be 1-2 trying to hide in fear, 3-5 create psychic barrier, 6 psychic attack. But as the story went on and his character developed Blaque can change his move set to 1-3 create psychic barrier, 4-5 psychic attack, 6 psychic fury or something. Of course there're times when the dice roll may not make complete sense, but that's part of the fun/challenge for the person who rolled the dice to make it make sense. Let's use the above battle as an example, it's

's turn and you rolled 2 for Roland(healing) and 5 for monster(fire breath). It was the beginning of the battle and nobody is really hurt yet, why would Roland need to heal people? So how would you make it make sense? So maybe in order to make it make sense you decide to let Garnet take a hit so Roland could heal him. But you may always feel like Garnet is super OP and could evade any attack without problem and shouldn't need heals. So you write Garnet dodged the attack without problem and Roland used his heals on the normal people around them instead.

As for the concern of always rolling a 6. Using the test battle above as an example, I said "let's say we agreed that the fight has lasted long enough". So yeah we'd probably decide a minimum turn for how long the battle must last, and afterwards either the first one roll a 6 defeat the monster, or someone can request to defeat the monster in his turn cause it fits the story. Like if the monster was Donovan's friend so story-wise it should be Donovan who defeats it, so no matter what the dice roll says everyone should refrain from defeating the monster until it's Yukio's turn.

• 1 month later...

I'll try to go with the flow of things. I think we're making this a little harder than it has to be. At the same time I understand that we're just trying to clear things up. I'll write my replies with the best of my abilities- although I am still not 100% on board with the DnD dice roll... I'll probably just write what fits for the situation. I don't plan to make Garnet or Ari super OP so... I don't think it should be a problem.

Also, is everyone super busy like I am? I got college, work, and club meetings- and theatrical events. Haha, I am guessing that's why

hasn't gotten a response in yet. I need to reply to my other role plays as well. So I am not in too much of a rush.

Yeah, sorry for being MIA, I've also been pretty swamped lately ;0;

I also wanted to wait and see some others' feedback on this stuff before commenting again myself, but I guess everyone's been busy.

But I like Hal's system a lot. It'd take minimal efforts to actually implement, and it allows for more freedom. I like the assigned-actions, and the 'autopilot' idea. And most importantly, more people will have a say in the fight scenes in general. (Maybe not every fight will last enough rounds for everyone but...y'know) I'm personally quite game for it.

• 1 month later...

So I know everyone is super busy, I've admittedly struggled to reply to all of my role plays (sorry Hal!!!! ;-; I will get to our other rp today )... but if

doesn't respond soon, then our role play will shut down. If it shuts down, I am highly interested in making my own recruitment... I don't know if I'll have it open to so many people... but I was thinking a one on one rp instead of several people. Idk... I'll see what happens.

I have thought out my two characters but can't even begin to scrap the surface until we get a response.

Anyway, we'll need a reply soon or the role play will close- I suppose we could request for it to be reopened... Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Yeah, I'm losing hope for this one as well, which sucks because I was so interested in the characters' different dynamics so far. So maybe those still into this could branch out in smaller rps after this

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might open up another recruitment... Truth be told I am craving this role play and I've already invested too much thought into my two characters... So uh... I'll post a link if you guys want to tag along. I might be busy, but I'm always online. I have two weeks left of college for this semester and then I have a two week break.

So... I could wait and hope that we get a reply sometime soon... Or open a recruitment and try again. I'm already writing another recruitment for another idea I have... If I am feeling ambitious, I'll write up a post for this as well... Watch the recruiting section if you're interested.