Unfamiliar Family (StainedCrimson x gacktluvr) [18+]

gacktluvr

XQ6FaRs.png

Name: Micah

Hair: Blond

Eyes: Hazel

Height: 5'6

Appearance:

Scrawny and a bit on the short side, Micah looked like your average nerd up until his last year in high school. He always seemed frail and overwhelmingly plain, hiding in clothes a size too big for him. In actuality he's surprisingly toned, used to carrying heavy things from his time volunteering at the library. Now that he's started college his look has changed, hair bleached blond where it had been a deep brown. He has two piercings in his left ear and one in his right, still healing. He finally bought clothes that fit, showing off his slender frame with trendy styles.

Bio:

Micah has always been a bit on the nerdy side, not fitting in with most groups in his high school and constantly burying himself in books when at home. He isn't unfriendly but never bothered to approach anyone on his own, making him an outcast all throughout his high school career. His studying paid off in a fully paid scholarship to the school of his choice, just a few miles from home. To help with his studies he's staying at home, focusing on school instead of working. Now that he's in college he's decided to go ahead and change himself, drastically changing his image and trying to make friends on his own. Since high school he's been slowly distancing himself from his brother, and in college he's diving headfirst into surrounding himself with others.

"So... What do you think?" Micah asked awkwardly as he stood waiting in the doorway to his brother's room, several bags hanging from his fingers as the other hand slowly ran through his hair. It felt lighter than before, even though he knew that wasn't a thing that made sense in the slightest. Just because the color of his hair was lighter didn't mean it was actually lighter. He had just gotten a quick trim to go with the bleach. Something more stylish and... fitting. Something that could help him stand out a little more.

Even though he was trying to make himself a bit less awkward his cheeks were still starting to flush despite himself. His pale skin and newly lightened hair didn't do anything to hide it, either, an expectant smile awkwardly plastered on his face. He wanted to know what his brother thought of this new look, since it was such a change. If he didn't think he looked good, he wasn't sure what he'd do. He trusted his brother's opinion on these sorts of things. He'd always looked good without seeming to try. His sense of fashion was just...natural. That was how Micah had always felt.

His heart was racing as he stood there waiting for a verdict. Tomorrow was his first day of college, so he had wanted to do something different. There was still time to dye his hair back if it looked bad. If he took out the piercings now, they'd heal up without leaving much of a mark that they'd ever been there. He could go back to how he'd always been, if that was what suited him.

He wanted to try and break the cycle he'd trapped himself in, hiding from his brother without a friend to turn to. His feelings had started spiraling out of control since their sophomore year, and he had been awkward ever since. Keeping his distance hadn't helped, as much as he possibly could while they shared the same house, so maybe finding other people would. Maybe he'd fall for someone else, or he'd at least be able to distract himself with other people. He just had to make it through this last year or so without crossing that line...

He'd managed two years already and hadn't done anything to jeopardize their relationship too badly. He'd just drawn some distance between them, but it wasn't as if it was beyond repair. He liked to think, if he ever managed to become an independent person, the two of them could be close again. If he could keep himself from thinking these horrible things. Things he was sure he would be hated for...

Brothers weren't supposed to think that sorta thing about one another...

He was fucked up, and he knew it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gacktluvr

• StainedCrimson

640px-Black-Hair-Blue-Eyed-Anime-Boy.jpg

Name: Malik

Hair: Black

Eyes: Green

Height: 5'10

Appearance:

Average height, he's got a good athletic build from being engaged in sports and martial arts. He's almost the complete opposite of his brother. He's always been fairly popular, but while friendly to most he has very few he considers friends. Despite his friendly nature, he is actually very private and particular about who he lets close. That said he's no stranger to trying new things with his various acquaintances which is why he has the two piercings in one ear and some elsewhere.

Bio:

Malik has always been able to engage with various kinds of people easily, and seems to have a natural charisma that draws others to him. He did well in school, but mostly spent his time wishing to get out of his house as he got older and started working as soon as he could. Due to his parents prodding, he is going to college part-time but continues to work to put more money away until he's able to move out.[/center]

Malik looks up from his guitar, his glasses sliding down to the edge of his nose, as he hears his brother call out to him. Looking Micah over he grins as he lets the guitar sit on his lap. "Well, look at you bro! Trying a new look?" Settling his hands on the instrument, he takes a more thorough look at the other.

He blinks a bit in surprise at the blonde hair and piercings. "Wow. That's quite the change. Has mom seen it yet?" He asks out of curiosity while setting his instrument to the side so he can stand up and go over to Micah. Stopping in front of his twin, he reaches up and touches some of the newly bleached hair. "It's looking good, but it'll be a pain in the ass to stay blonde though." He warns.

Malik means it though, his brother was cute and nerdy previously and, while still cute, looked a little less bookwormish. The fitting clothes definitely helps even though he frowns at the thought of others ogling and going after the other now. It's just because he's never experienced anyone expressing interest in him. I don't want him to fall for the first one to bat their lashes at him. He grumbles internally while ignoring that it sounds as though he's trying to convince himself.

Pushing the thoughts to the side, his smile widens. "Hey, how about we celebrate and go out tonight? I'm meeting up with a couple friends later if you think you'll be up for it." Truthfully it feels a bit weird to extend the invite, Micah has never been overly social and lately it's seemed like he was pursuing a career as a hermit or something. Still, it's been a bit lonely without his twin and so he's hoping the other will be willing to leave his books for a time.

"A-ah... No, she hasn't..." Smile still apprehensive he blushed slightly at the thought of having to explain himself to their parents, hand sliding down to the back of his neck as he thought about it. "She gave me money to get myself a new wardrobe before starting school, but is this too much?" He hadn't even considered what their mother would say. She'd probably flip out, but she'd get over it, right? He hadn't gone that much further than Malik, but they weren't even remotely the same person. Micah had always been the baby, so she definitely wouldn't expect it.

"Out? With you and your friends? Are you sure?" Malik had never invited him out before, so it was understandable that he'd be surprised. Not that he would have accepted, usually. He wasn't good in crowds to begin with, especially not when Malik was around. Everyone expected twins to be more similar than the two of them, and it was obvious that they'd be disappointed when the two of them were together.

"If it's not too much trouble I'd like to go, honestly." If Malik's friends were going to be there he didn't have to worry quite so much about spending time with him. And he liked spending time with his brother, even if it had grown considerably more difficult after puberty. He was still pretty awkward around other people, but that was the part of himself he was trying to change here. Saying no now would not only be a failure to change, but a missed opportunity to spend time with his brother. He couldn't afford to let go of either of those opportunities.

"Besides, I'd like to avoid Mom freaking out at me as long as possible." He made a point to look around his brother's room instead of at him for the most part, having not been inside for a while now. Several things had changed, which made him feel uncomfortable for some reason. The idea of not knowing his twin better than others... It hurt, even though it was his own fault they were like this.

He managed a fake smile as he finished, however, trying to wipe away his insecurities. He was going to spend time with his brother, so everything was fine.

"Well... I didn't dye my hair so I can't say how she'd react." He rubs his neck while musing as to how bad their mom will react to Micah having bleached his hair. When the other asks if he's sure about wanting the other along, he fights off the twinge of hurt that causes even as he pastes on a smile. "Of course I'm sure! We haven't hung out in what feels like forever!" It's just too bad they're not old enough to drink yet, but that might be for the best anyway.

Malik laughs at the last comment and nods in understanding. "I get it. When mom saw my ear pierced I think I avoided the house for nearly a week." To say nothing of avoiding their mom when home. Thankfully those are the only piercings she knows about. He thinks before refocusing on his brother. "I'm just going to shower and change real quick before heading out. So you have time to put your new stuff away if you want."

He eases past Micah to head to the bathroom and hops into the water once it's hot enough. With a soft chuckle he rinses his hair "Man, it's a good thing we don't ever fly 'cause otherwise having to go through an xray or something would be super awkward." Not that it bothers him overly much, but his mom would become unbearable then. Quickly finishing up, he pads back to his room while drying off and pulls on some fitted jeans, a form fitting shirt, with an open button up over it with the sleeves rolled up.

"Hey Micah, ready to go?" He calls out while pocketing his wallet and phone before heading to the door to pull on his shoes. Malik waits for his twin to join him then hooks an arm around his shoulders. "This'll be great! I can't remember the last time we actually hung out together!" Grinning he takes them to the popular food join for college students. "So what're you looking to major in?" He asks curious if his twin has settled on anything yet.

As they enter the meeting place, he smiles and waves at a few people already seated and leads the way to them. "Hey guys. This is my Micah." He gestures at his twin before pulling him forward. They greet Micah before turning to Malik. "So, this is long-lost twin we've heard so much about huh?" One guy teases with a grin as Malik and Micah take a seat. Malik rolls his eyes but still has a smile on his face. "Yeah, this is him. Try to not scare him off with your stupidity." This of course leads to round of insults between him and the other guy, but it's clear that it's typical behavior between the two.

After a little while a few more people show up to join them, one of which is a pretty androgynous looking person. Everyone there greets them including Malik and soon the group is squished together to make it so everyone can fit at the two tables they had managed to commandeer. Malik leans over so he can talk to Micah. "Don't feel like you have to stay if you don't want to. I know these guys can get a bit intense if you're not used to them."

"I think dying my hair is one of the least egregious sins against my body, personally. It wouldn't take anything to dye it back, but..." Reaching up he showed off the piercings he'd gotten in his own ears, remembering the way their mother had protested when Malik had gotten his done. While his older twin had avoided her in the wake of his piercings, Micah had been stuck at home listening. She'd been positively scandalized by something so simple, and now here Micah had done the same thing. It wasn't like he thought she'd be angry, but he wasn't sure how much he could stand listening to her go on about how much he'd changed. Eventually, he'd feel like maybe he'd done something he shouldn't have. Even if she didn't mean it, he always felt like she had expectations of him he could upset with even the slightest mistake.

"Won't your friends be upset if you drag along a third wheel like me? I mean, I don't know anyone..." He had a feeling Malik would regret asking him along sooner or later, stepping aside as his brother started towards the bathroom. Malik was the outgoing type, while Micah was the exact opposite. Chances were he'd be a wet blanket to whatever party he'd planned tonight, but he'd already accepted. There was no turning back now, his heart pounding in his chest with nerves. He lingered in the hall several moments even as Malik passed him, taking measured breaths to try and keep himself calm.

It was a simple get-together. He could handle this, even if everyone there already knew his brother...

Thankfully it wouldn't take him long to put away his new purchases, his closet mostly empty. His room was better equipped for holding books than clothes, the bottom half of his closet hidden away behind the corner of his bed to make room for a large desk pressed against the far wall. He wasn't sure if his room was actually smaller than his brother's or if it just looked that way, his things tightly packed into corners of the room. Malik seemed to have more room than he did, for sure, but most of Micah's belongings were just bigger than his room could handle.

"O-oh, yeah! I'm ready!" he called back when he heard Malik's voice, scrambling out of the awkward position he'd wedged himself into both physically and mentally. No one expected him to be a perfect social butterfly, he reminded himself, or they would have seen him around before. None of Malik's friends had any expectations of him, if they even knew who he was. Why would Malik talk about him, anyway? They probably had way better things to talk about than some kid who hardly bothered to leave his room.

"H-huh?" He stumbled as Malik put his arm around him, lost as always in his brother's pace. Micah was still in the process of trying to get his nerves up to go through with this thing, and here Malik was already in full swing. Even if he hesitated, Malik would keep them going forward no matter what, just like when they were children. He was still being lead around by his brother, even now.

"Major?" He had to think a moment before he could come up with a proper answer, mind off in its own world as they walked. "My scholarship is for practical sciences..." He smiled a bit, focusing his attention on the conversation rather than the unfamiliar world he was about to step into. "I'm thinking Physics. I'm good with things that deal in the definite, like math. I want to be a part of figuring out why things work the way they do." School was an easy topic for him, finishing his answer just as they reached the place. It was ironic, really...

"Your Micah? Malik, wh-what have you told them about me?" He turned back to look at his twin in a bit of a panic, thrown off his game once again. He had thought he'd just be some random addition to their group, cheeks growing hot as everyone's attention turned to him and he could only give a half-hearted wave in response.

There are so many of them... That was Micah's only thought as he moved to sit down near his brother, listening to him bicker with one of his friends. They seemed like they really knew one another and got along, which probably would have made him laugh if it didn't hurt so much. Malik had someone he could talk so freely with...

Just like I thought, he's incredible...

Even more people showed up to join them before Micah could even get comfortable with the first group, broken out of his trance as his body was jostled and squished up against someone else's. He forced a smile as Malik spoke, trying his best to adapt to this new scenario. "I'm fine, just a bit cramped..."

He had no idea how to start a conversation with these people, but at least he was here. He could figure out the social aspect of 'socializing' if any of them ever bothered talking to him, which he couldn't imagine they would. Not with someone like Malik around.

At the question Malik laughs. "I merely told them that I have a cute nerdy twin that's super smart." He grins and gives a playful wink to take away any sting his words might have caused. Soon a sampler platter is set by him and he moves it so Micah can have some of the appetizers as well.

Hearing his brother's complaint, even though he knows he's not getting the full truth, causes him to let out a chuckle. "Yeah, but not much to be done about it. We're lucky to get even this much room." He shares as the place has gotten pretty busy since they've been there. A few more people may yet show up to join his group even, despite some coming and going, which causes the tables they've managed to lay claim to stay filled.

"I'll tell you a secrete..." Malik grins and leans closer to whisper in the other's ear. "Making friends is a lot easier if you introduce yourself." He teases slightly but before he can say more, gets tapped on the shoulder and turns to greet the newest addition to the crowd. "Hey! Glad you could make it!" Malik grins and gives the person, who is about as androgynous as they come, a tight hug. "I was starting to think your job was going to keep you prisoner all night."

Laughing the other shakes their head. "I managed to get someone to come in early." Glancing around Malik they lean in, nearly on Malik's lap, to whisper to him. "That's your twin? You were right when you said you two don't look much alike, but he doesn't seem as nerdy as he sounded." Wrapping an arm around the slim shoulders, Malik murmurs back. "This is a new look for him. I think he just got it done today."

As Malik is talking, some of the others near Micah notice that he's sitting there awkwardly and try to talk to him to make him. "So, Micah right? What brings you out? I thought Malik said that you didn't go out much."

• 4 months later...

"I'm not super smart," he protested meekly, hands burying themselves in his pockets. It wasn't that he was smarter than anyone else, he didn't feel, but he'd put in a lot of time studying and reading. And he hadn't done that necessarily because he'd wanted to. It had been the easiest way to avoid his brother when at home, so that was what he had done.

"You...already introduced me," he protested with a dark blush, squished between two strangers who were also reaching for food. He wasn't interesting or worth talking to, really, nibbling awkwardly on a potato skin he had managed to nab for himself before the others had seemed to realize there was anything to eat. "Besides, how do I introduce myself to so many people? There's not a lot to say about me..."

He bit his lip a bit harder than he probably should have as the newest arrival started hanging all over his brother, jealousy rising in him despite his best attempts to control himself. They were way close, and that annoyed him. Actually, it was more that it hurt... He couldn't tell what they were talking about, but their body language told him all he needed to know: He didn't want to know. He didn't want to know what they were talking about, or what their relationship was. He was already fairly certain he knew...

"H-huh?" Graceful. Very graceful, Micah. With a bit of a start he turned his head to the person who had spoken to him, face on fire as he smiled awkwardly. Hopefully they hadn't figured out what had been distracting him so much, giving the stranger his attention instead. "It's not that I don't go out much, if I'm being honest. I don't really go out at all..." He reached to scratch the back of his neck, a bit itchy from his hair having been cut not too long prior.

"Being a loner in high school is one thing, but now that we're college students... It sounds kind of lame to never do anything..." There was a bit of a pause after he answered, and Micah finally realized just how bad he was at interacting with other people. He couldn't just talk about himself. That was boring and just answering questions wasn't a real conversation. "So... How long have you and Malik been friends? Are you going to college with us?"

There. He had officially put in effort, even if it was nothing more than lame, pointless questions...