New Chat Version

Key

We have purchased the new version of the chat system. The version is brand new, we've noticed a few bugs and contacted the software tech team to fix them asap.

The new version has a new layout, new emojis, embedded gif support, desktop notification (you need to allow notifications from YaoiOtaku if you receive a message from your browser in order for that to work), and plenty of bug fixes and changes for the mobile version.

Note: You can search for the gifs you want added if you click on the blank space between the image and the emoji icons at the bottom of the chat box. It will open a new popup which has a Search box in the upper part, where you can type your search. Once a few gifs are loaded, you might need to hover with the mouse cursor outside the chat box, without clicking, for more gifs to load.

m5LpZ2u.jpg

The complete list of updates brought by this version can be found below, under the spoiler.

• New Theme - Fresh
    We've designed a brand new theme named "Fresh". The theme supports colorization and can be changed to any color through a few clicks in the admin panel.
    fresh-theme.png
  • Giphy Support
    Send short moving images to your friends with Giphy.
    giphy-support.png
  • Emoji Support
    Emojis are now supported in ArrowChat. It comes with hundreds of pre-installed emojis as well as a way to easily add your own. v2.0 also supports text emojis for compatible browsers with MySQL v5.5.3+.
    emoji-support.png
  • Theme Colorization (For Admin Only)
    Themes can now be colorized (if enabled) directly through the admin panel. It is no longer necessary to change the CSS to make basic colors different.
    theme-colorize.png
  • Full Synchronization
    Our push service is no longer required to sync content between tabs. All sent and received messages will now be synced up. This also means that the embedded chat will no longer cause issues when on the same page. As such, the "Pop In Chat" button has been removed.

Mobile Chat

• Typing Notification
    The mobile app will now show when a user is typing.
    mobile-is-typing.png
  • New Message Notification
    Users will now see a small preview of any messages they received from users they are not currently chatting with.
    mobile-new-messages.png
  • Refreshed UI
    The mobile chat has been redesigned and updated in several areas.
  • File and Picture Support
    Users will now be able to send files and images on their mobile device.
  • There is now an option to block (and unblock) a user, visit their profile, report spam, and clear the conversation for users.
  • The mobile chat will now redirect the user to the log in page (if set in the admin panel) when they are not logged in.
  • The mobile chat will now disable itself if ArrowChat is disabled or in maintenance mode.
  • The floating mobile tab has been updated to display better on sites.
  • Chat history can now be loaded by scrolling to the top of the conversation.

Embedded / Pop Out Chat

• Chat Rooms and Private Chat Combined
    We've gotten rid of separate windows for the chat rooms and private chat. However, it is still possible to embed specific rooms using a specific URL.
    embedded-combined.png
  • Refreshed UI
    The entire embedded chat has been redesigned and updated.
  • There are now the same options in the embedded chat as there are on the desktop version (block users, report spam, hide avatars, etc.).
  • Video chat has been added.
  • The embedded chat will now disable itself if the chat is disabled or in maintenance mode.
  • The embedded chat will now redirect the user to the log in page (if set in the admin panel) when they are not logged in.
  • Chat rooms with passwords can now be embedded and it will prompt the user for the password.
  • The chat room lobby is now available to leave and join other rooms.
  • Chat history can now be loaded by scrolling to the top of the conversation.

Chat Rooms

• Multiple Chat Rooms
    Users can now enter up to three chat rooms at once.
    multi-chatrooms.png
  • User-created chat rooms can now set the description and welcome message upon creation.
  • There is now an option to "Feature" a chat room which will make it show above the rest in a separate heading.
  • There are now hundreds of colorful chat room icons to choose from.
  • There is now an option to hide the chat room user list.

General

• All flash components have been removed! The file uploads and sounds are now running on HTML5.
  • The notification that a user is typing has been significantly improved. It is a lot smarter and should now always show the correct status.
  • Clicking on the content area of an open conversation will now focus the text input.
  • More URLs are now linkable in chat
  • The Javascript file now uses /packer/ which has reduced the file size by 42%.
  • Multiple messages by the same user in private chat will now only show one avatar.
  • Removed Javascript substr in favor of CSS ellipsis for long text.
  • MSSQL support has been switched over to sqlsrv and no longer requires the outdated PHP MSSQL extension.
  • Images sent will now show up in the chat conversation instantly for non-push users as well.
  • The debug tool has received a fresh look with new features.
  • Squashed a ton of bugs with the mobile app.
  • ArrowChat will now display an error message if it is unable to connect to the database instead of things just not working.
  • The functionality of when too many user tabs are open to fit the screen has changed. It now displays a list of minimized users in a single tab instead of having to scroll left and right.

Bug Fixes

• The new message sound no longer plays on subsequent page loads.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause the chat to scroll down while history was loaded.
  • Having 2+ copies of our header/footer code will no longer cause issues.
  • Fixed a rare issue that would prevent users from creating chat rooms.
  • Fixed a rare issue that would cause minimized chat windows to have a toString JavaScript error.
  • Fixed an issue with Wordpress/Buddypress integrations which caused groups to not work when the prefix was not wp_.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the chat flood error message to not show up.
  • The document title will no longer flash about a new message across all open tabs.
  • The user option window will now stay open when a chat room online list is refreshed.
  • Small fixes with the DatingScript and SocialScript integrations.
  • Fixed an issue with the phpFox integration.
  • Fixed an issue with guest group IDs not being displayed properly in the admin panel.
  • Fixed an issue with DOMMouseScroll in FireFox.
  • Fixed an issue with the chatWith API.

PS: If you notice any bugs as well, please send me a PM so I can check if we've already informed the developers about that specific issue, and if we haven't, to contact them and report the problem.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Key

• Lethalyx

• Yukuu

• yaoifictionlove

Well, some people surely are tricky. After being promised all the features listed in the post above for this new version we bought today (version 2.0), we found out things weren't exactly that way.

We received several complains that the chat button doesn't show up on mobiles. A few who managed to access the chat on mobiles said that the promised features (image support, gif support, message notification etc.) are lacking.

I contacted the soft developers to report the issue and I was informed that they don't provide mobile chat anymore for this new version unless we upgrade to the Premium Version, which costs $125.

It's frustrating because we double checked and they didn't specify anywhere that starting now, they would provide mobile chat only for the Premium ($125) and Business ($295) versions.

So, basically the chat on mobiles wouldn't work at all after the web cache flushes completely unless we pay to upgrade to Premium.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

We pondered and the mobile chat is an important function of the forums, as many members use it. I think we'll use $125 from the donation for the server from this month, so, we'll have it rather hard this month. Hopefully we'll manage to raise somehow the needed amount to be able to pay the server at the beginning of February.

I'll help too! In a few days I'll make a donation to help you guys.

Thanks for this awesome forum.

Thank you for the hard work :)

Also, my mobile chat still works.

*reads the updates*

Theme Colorization (For Admin Only)

oh *.* look at that, different colours , that looks fun. Look at all the fun you can have now Key xD

Thanks for letting us know :p

( Haha you know im just joking ;) )

The new chat loos very nice, thanks man.

Btw... older version or new dosent really matter to me. if it gives you to much problem with Money... perhaps we can go back to the old version, ntill we can raise enough for that new version. I hope the new chat dosent give you too much problem.. After all, the most important thing is that we can just talk there :)

I'm really suspicious when it comes to things like this and above all when there is that "normal/premium/business-gold" categories XD I'm the kind to spend hours if necessary to check the slightest detail even more when written in the smallest font, so small you nearly need a magnifying glass XD

762108Arrowchat.png

Dunno if you've seen it but the premium version states the mobile support. I think it was a tacit way (and done on purpose) to say that there was no mobile chat provided for the starter version.

This situation caused by the soft developers is total bullshit, for not telling you the exact features for the normal version (the "and more..." made me laugh, seriously).

I don't use the chat on my android stuff but I believe there are many members who use more their smartphone/tablet than the laptop/PC to come here and chat.

Anyway, I'll give an helping hand.

I'm really suspicious when it comes to things like this and above all when there is that "normal/premium/business-gold" categories XD I'm the kind to spend hours if necessary to check the slightest detail even more when written in the smallest font, so small you nearly need a magnifying glass XD

762108Arrowchat.png

Dunno if you've seen it but the premium version states the mobile support. I think it was a tacit way (and done on purpose) to say that there was no mobile chat provided for the starter version.

This situation caused by the soft developers is total bullshit, for not telling you the exact features for the normal version (the "and more..." made me laugh, seriously).

I don't use the chat on my android stuff but I believe there are many members who use more their smartphone/tablet than the laptop/PC to come here and chat.

Anyway, I'll give an helping hand.

Yeah, done on purpose - the wording.

"Mobile Support", 'support' usually is related to 'technical support' as you can see is also offered in the other plans:

- priority support

- technical support

It means that they will give you a hand in case something goes wrong without wanting money.

However, the *ssholes worded the feature as "support" which is very wrongly worded. We don't speak of being smart or stupid, it is just very sneaky of them to do that if they expect that 'mobile support' would be taken as 'mobile chat feature'. ;I I am still angry at them, ever since last night. No idea about Key, XD.

Yeah, done on purpose - the wording.

"Mobile Support", 'support' usually is related to 'technical support' as you can see is also offered in the other plans:

- priority support

- technical support

It means that they will give you a hand in case something goes wrong without wanting money.

However, the *ssholes worded the feature as "support" which is very wrongly worded. We don't speak of being smart or stupid, it is just very sneaky of them to do that if they expect that 'mobile support' would be taken as 'mobile chat feature'. ;I I am still angry at them, ever since last night. No idea about Key, XD.

The "I think" was ironic (though it was not obvious x)). Did an observation internship a while ago in a communications agency and the golden rule, nearly universal credo (the religious overtone here is quite accurate) there is to play with words. The more confusing by being apparently clear it is, the better for them it gets. Did anyone say breach? I say it's business ╮( ̄- ̄)╭

Yeah, I'm irked as well x)

@

As Saga said, they sneakily played with the words, using 'mobile support' instead of 'mobile chat feature' or 'mobile web application'. And why they did it? We (as many other sites as well) have been using their soft for some years now, and each time there was a problem and we'd send them an email, they'd respond 'Support is only offered for Premium and Business plans'. That's why they used the word 'support' now, to mislead.

The word support in such cases is used as 'help'. Please look at their old plan:

310-600x304.jpg

The Kick Starter had mobile chat, as well as all the others, but no where it's written 'mobile support'. At Business plan you can see 'Priority support'. So what we, and many others thought now is that they added support on mobiles as well for the Premium plan (as we have on the server, for example - each time when the site goes down, I receive a text on my mobile to inform me about the situation and I can ask for the server team's help as well directly from mobile so we figure out what's causing the issue). See what they did here?

Plus, if you check their

page (yes, they call it Mobile web application here), they do not specify now it's only available for Premium and Business plans. Also, they haven't mentioned it even once in all the months prior the release, when they kept advertising the new version. They'd always say they are working a lot to bring big improvements to the mobile web application in version 2.0 (without specifying that from now on it will be available for the more expensive plans only).

The most important factor that made us want to upgrade was the fact that they said they won't provide any new patches/updates/bug fixes for the older versions anymore and this would be a huge risk for the security, as out-of-date applications are exploited by hackers a lot.

On a more positive note, I received a message from them in which they informed me we will have to pay just the difference between the Kickstarter and the Premium version, meaning $80 if we want to upgrade and keep the mobile chat.

PS: Thanks a lot to everyone who donated to help us get out of this mess. It's really really appreciated!

We've paid the $80 difference and installed the Premium chat. In order for it to work properly, please clean your browser and mobile cache (it can take up to 24 hours until it's fully flushed).

's how to flush the DNS and clear your browser cache (on desktop). You can also use, and I recommend it, CCleaner (it's a free software/app) both for desktop and mobiles.

Also, for those who want to change the chat theme, you can do so by clicking this button:

JEffHuw.jpg

Thank you so much! You rock! And thank you to those who helped! You guys rock too! I feel ashamed I couldn't. :cuteonion50:

I LOVE this new chat both on my pc and mobile! :Jumping around: