10 favourite BL novels

Ragne

I am always searching for some good books to read, so I thought to ask about your favourite 10 BL novels, with maybe some quick words to describe them or why you liked them!

Mine:

1. Ginn Hale's The Rifter series - fantasy, long, super plotty
  2. Shades of Gray (Brooke McKinley) - a criminal and FBI agent who has to protect him
  3. The Only Gold (Tamara Allen) - pre victorian (I think), softly built romance, historical, mystery!
  4. The Song of Achille (Madeline Miller) - no introductions needed, I think
  5. The God Eaters (Hajicek) - starts from a prison, alternative fantasy world, a lot of plot
  6. The Walled Garden (Parkinson) - victorian era, calm and lovely
  7. Wicked Gentlemen (Ginn Hale) -
  8. Maurice (Forster) - okay, this is a classic, no introductions needed
  9. A Note in the Margin (Isabelle Rowan) - modern day drama
  10. Zero at the Bones (Seville Jane) - a hitman ends up escaping with the man he had to kill

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kujaku

• Ragne

• Hisoka96

• shinyaKogami

Here's mine (work in progress will update as I narrow them down.)

1. Cut & Run series. Abigail Roux - Based on 2 Fbi agents. Also plot focused.

2. THIRDS series. Charlie Cochet - An interesting take on shifters, love the main char.

3. Wolfsong. TJ Klune - A shifter romance over the course of 10 years. Must read.

4. The Lightning Struck Heart. TJ Klune - This was just laughs from the first page.

5.Strength of the Pack. Kendall Mckenna - Some plot but mostly just hot.

6. Kick at the Darkness series. Keira Andrews. - Werewolf and a zombie like outbreak.

7. A Matter of Time series. Mary Calmes. - FBI agent agent falls for a murder witness.

8. Dominion series. Lisa Kasey - Magic users and vampires.

9. Arcadia series. Christian Baines - A dark and unique take on vampires and shifters.

10. Natural Instincts series. S.J Frost - A vampire series interesting ideas with immortal pets.

Triad series by Poppy Dennison might replace Natural Instincts series.

I love every book on this list and you should give it a shot. Guarantee it wortn it.

1.Openly straight by Bill Konigsberg (must read)

2.Know not why by Hannah Johnson (Puppylove, really hilarious)

3.Just a bit Ruthless by Alessandra Hazard (it a series but I love this on the most and can be read as a stand alone)

4.Bear,Otter and the kid, who we are and The art of Breathing by T.J. Klune (it a very long series but I still want more)

5.Tigers&Devils by Sean Kennedy (Love the main protagonist)

6.The Ghost on my couch by L.A Gibert (really sweet and cute but kind of an open and sad ending)

7.This is not a love story by Suki Fleet. (Very Dark,sad and kind of traumatizing but the most touching book ever)

8.Straight Man Gay/Straight Man Gay2 by Danny Culpepper (cutest couple ever. LOVE the dark humur, made me smile)

9.In the Middle of nowhere by Roan Parrish

10.Cut&run series by Abigail Roux (love both main characters so much)

1.Captive Prince Trilogy(book 3 ruined it 4 me cuz theres particular scene that is so fucked up I think but book 1 and 2 is just out of this world amazing!)

2.All for the game trilogy

3.In the company of shadows series

4.Stockholm syndromes trilogy.

5.Rock by anyta Sunday.

6.Chance assassins series (I skipped book 2 cause m/f foreshadowing as m/m *eye rolls*)

7.Dance with me Heidi cullinan

8.Something like series jay bell

9.Sparrow through the heart- Agatha bird

10.Interview with the vampire -Anne rice.

I almost put the song of Achilles cos the book really destroyed me. I don't know anything about it.I was zombified for a month.I locked that book in a drawer so I wouldnt see it,so i couldn't get depress.But I have issues.1:the descriptive m/f sex scene.I only got handjob m/m scene but you gonna shove at my face the detailed MF scene? No no no.Add to that horrible ending I don't feel justified.

2:Patroclus hugging Briseis? at the tent and how he thought she fitted really well in his arms that maybe if he hadn't meet Achilles he would be with her?? Wtf I thought he's written as gay? I don't mind if he's bi but you don't get to plant that thoughts in me cuz I'd start to doubt along with him too.Like yahh maybe Achilles is not good enough 4 you.Like yahh maybe she will save you from this fucked up lover.It's imperative to me that they're endgame and that NOTHING will ever get between them.Not even that brief thoughts.No no no.Ruined the book 4 me.

I'm not sure I actually have 10 favs, but I'll give it a try.

01. S by Aida Saki - it's the first BL novel I ever read and absolutely loved it. It's really captivating, has a really good plot, and I think I already read it twice or thrice. /yakuza

02. Immoral Darkness by Miyu Matsuda - I loved one of the main characters, and I think I always had a weak spot for damaged characters. I find it really interesting. /school

03. Yakuza Pride by H.J. Brues - I really liked the plot on this one as well. I feel like the author really did the research for this novel, and it turned out just great. /yakuza, quite explicit

04. Caged Slave by Yukio Takamura - this one is a bit of a classic cliche romance BL novel from my point of view, but I liked it a lot. Although one of the characters made me want to bang my head on the desk, I still enjoyed it a lot. /office romance

05. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz - this novel is incredibly sweet, and had me on my tiptoes. I loved all of the characters, they are so sweet and, in a sense, real. /coming of age

Welp, I only managed 5.

Here's mine.

*That's What Brothers Do

*Yakuza Pride

*Yeho

*True Star

*Feng Yu Jiu Tian

*Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi (Yokozawa Takafumi no Baai)

*Body Language

*Concubine Prince series

*Aloof King and Cold Queen

*Kill the Lights

*Reincarnation of a Superstar

*Blind Concubine

*Amai Wana de Torokasete

*Hana Furirou series

*The Legendary Master's Wife

I can't actually rank this books but I can guarantee that its full of the best I've ever read ^^

:Sleepy:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm quite new to BL novels but I'm a fast reader! So here's my list of 5 books (some of are series though).

1- Captive Prince triology: Even though I detested some elements in the book (such as slavery and pets), I fell in love with characterization and kept going on for Damen. Well, thank God I did, because second book was such a gem and I loved Laurent even more than Damen.

2- A Charm of Magpies series: K.J Charles might be the best m/m author, seriously! The whole series was thrilling and fun with adorable characters. Just read anything she writes!

3- Shattered Glass by Dani Alexander: Gawd this book is the epitome of heart-fluttering-fluffy-cuteness!!! with a little thrill to spice things up.

4- In the Company of Shadows series: This was a real long read with so many dark elements, hurt, angst and more. If you like your heart to shred to bits, then go ahead and read the series.

5- Wolfsong by T.J. Klune: A werewolf story with so many elements that makes you unwittingly compare it to Twilight, but nevertheless it was a better read.

I have a lot of favs that I can't condense in a top ten, so some are :

Gives Light by Rose Christo (a series)

The Student Prince by FayJay

Captive Prince series

Wolfsong by TJ Klune

In The Company of Shadows series by Santino Hassell

Risk Aware by Amelia c. Gormley

Axel's Pup by Kim Dare

No Homo by RemainNameless

The Last Thing He Needs by JH Knight (series)

Crossing Borders by Z.A Maxfield

In the company of shadows - 2 million words of sheer joy (and angst)

Dark souls series - Aleksandr Voinov's sharp and precise prose

Bloodraven - P.L. Nunn

Scorpion series - more Voinov, this time fantasy historic

Do I seem bulletproof to you - slash at its best

I have read way too many books so here I go:

1. Hammer Series Sean Michael (bdsm)

2. Matter of Time Series Mary Calmes (straight police officer falls in love with his gay witness)

3. Marshals Series Mary Calmes (set in the same time as Matter of Time but later and different characters)

4. Dark Space Series Lisa Henry (outer space, aliens what is not to love)

5. Dynasty of Ghosts PL Nunn (fae-like guy sees ghosts, set in older time period, gets captured with the prince)

6. Change of Heart Series Mary Calmes (panther shifters)

7. Life Under New Management Jana Davitt (light bdsm theme)

8. By His Rules JA Rock (domestic discipline relationship)

9. Keep Me Still Stephen Hoppa (MUST read it is great)

10. Broken Nicola Haken (another really good one guy has a bad past)

and many many more

• 1 month later...

My favs:

1. Bloodraven by P.L. Nunn - The story has a lot of rape, humiliation and gore, it's not for the faint-hearted but it's definitely worth reading. Relationship between main characters is pretty ambiguous and difficult, but that's why I love it.

2. Want Me by Rowan McBride - It's dark, unusual and quite creepy love (or rather obsession?) story with a lot of dubcon and some disturbing moments. Again, not for everyone.

3. The God Eaters by Jesse Hajicek - This book proves that it's no need for a lot of sex to make a great m/m story. A lot of plot and interesting setting.

4. Wolfsong by T.J. Klune - In my opinion the best shifter book out there... it's not your typical 'mates' story and author's style is really absorbing.

5. The Harvest series by M.A. Church - Yeah, I just love mpreg and aliens. If you're okay with this theme it's fun to read.

6. The High King's Golden Tongue by Megan Derr - As far as I know there are two versions of this book. Well, I don't know which one I read but I liked it. It's not ideal but hate --> love theme is one of my favs so it was 'must read' for me ;)

7. Gives Light by Rose Christo - I'm usually not a fan of YA, but it was cute and had a nice atmosphere.

8. Vassily the Beautiful by Angel Martinez - No rape but violence and drug abuse. Nice chemistry between characters.

9. Kill the Lights by Jangryang - My favourite novel with a transmigration theme so far. Manly and perfectly straight mecenary in a body of outdated, slutty, hated gay celebrity ;) Really fun read, and I just love ambiguous relationship between mc's.

10. KAGE Triloy by Maris Black - Not my ultimate fav and some things were irritating, but I liked it anyway. I guess I have a weakness for 'alpha male' tops and rough sex :p

Mine (as for now) are:

01) Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat

02) The Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling

03) The Draegan Lords series by M.L. Rhodes

04) The Rifter series by Ginn Hale

05) The Administration series by Manna Francis

06) In the Company of Shadows by Sonny and Ais

07) All for the Game by Nora Sakavic

08) Dreams of Fire and Gods by James Erich

09) Light and Shadow series by A.D. Truax

10) Thirds series by Charlie Chocet

Honorable mentions (i couldn't help myself):

Seven Days by Rihito Takarai and Venio Tachibana

The Cadeleonian Series by Ginn Hale

Scarlet and the White Wolf series by Kirby Crow

Husbands for Peace by Twisted Hilarity

Tooth and Claw series by L.A. Witt

The God Eaters by Jesse Hajicek

Most of them are on this site in the download section. As for 'True Star' and 'Kill the Lights' I mentioned in my post, you can read them on Novel Updates.

I enjoy complex characters. Almost everything else is redeemed as long as the characters are complex, their relationships are believable and have chemistry.

1. A Song of Achilles (mytho-historical fiction. Very emotional, good if you're into mythology or historical settings)

2. The Flesh Cartel Series (I read this with a sick fascination. Not romance - but very, very creative. I'd hesitate to say I like it, but it left an extremely strong impression.)

3. All for the Game Series (Slow build, but riveting characters/romance. Has probably my fav couple

4. More Happy Than Not (incredibly beautiful)

5. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (cuties patooties)

6. A Charm of Magpies Series (good, love it)

7. We Are the Ants (m/m isn't the focus, but a great novel in its own right)

I second the Rifter Series and Wicked Gentleman (Ginn Hale).

For In the Company of Shadows, I'd only recommend the abridged version - the original ones are too bloated with unnecessary waffling for my taste. Otherwise, highly recommended.

• 6 months later...

This is 10 novels that I will recommand and necessary not in that order but it's novels that I remember and some of them I have read more than once. As we all have different taste in books I added the links to the novels, so you can look at the description and deside if you want to download them. Some of the URL links are not visible when I copy them to this thread but you can always find them here at yaoiotaku.

Yakuza Pride by HJ Brues:

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
)-by-H-J-Brues-(ENGLISH)

Beautiful Monsters series by Jex Lane:

by Jex Lane

)-by-Jex-Lane

by Jex Lane

Blessed Epoch series by August(a) Li:

)-by-Augusta-Li-(English)

The Wizard of Bright Isle serie by MomsDarkSecret:

)-by-MomsDarkSecret-English

(asked for upload)

In The Middle of Somewhere by Roan Parrish:

Thread: In the Middle of Somewhere (#1), Roan Parrish

Elemental Lovers series by Alana Ankh:

Chronicles of Ylandre series by Linda Eberharter aka Eresse :

)-by-Eresse-(Eng)

Song of the Fallen series by Rachel Haimowitz:

)?highlight=Song+fallen

Thread: Crescendo (Song of the Fallen #2) by Rachel Haimowitz

Bloodraven by PL Nunn:

)

Desires Entwined series by Tempeste O'Riley:

• 4 weeks later...

1. Captive Prince Series by C.S Pacat

2. Charm of Magpie Series by K.J Charles

3. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

4. Yukaza Pride by H.J. Brues

5. Esu by Aida Saki

I have read more but not any that would be on my top 10 favorite.. I have more reading to do but I recommend all of these if you are looking for good reads!!!

:In love:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow excellent taste!!! You don't know how much I agree with your list!

:Excited:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Can I share mine too? Maybe I'll find someone with the same interest & we can talk endlessly :)

(not in a particular order, I just list them through memory)

1. PsyCop series by JCP [paranormal; the thing is I LOVED the MC, Victor Bayne. I could relate with him that's why]

2. Hemovore by JCP [vampires; the only MM vampires book I've read bc I think this book is different]

3. Timshel by Lillian Turner [fantasy; I don't know why but mostly I liked the MCs & also angst]

4. Timekeeper by Sara Tim

5. Willful Machines by Tim Floreen

6. Wingmen by Ensan Case

7. Holmes & Moriarity series by Josh Lanyon [mystery; bc everyone else couldn't stand Kit haha]

8. Almost Like Being in Love by Steve Kluger

9. Duncan Andrews series by Stephen Osborne

10. All's Fair series by Josh Lanyon

All books listed here can be found in the BL novels download section.

ps: I also loved AFTG series, Captive Prince & a few books mentioned above but yeah...

• 2 months later...

Here is mine :D:

1. "In the company of shadows" series by Santino and Ais.

2. "All for the game" trilogy by Nora Sakavic.

3. "Captive prince" trilogy by C.S. Pacat.

And that's my holy trinity. Of course I've read a lot more books but THESE, THESE ARE THE BEST so far.

• 3 weeks later...

1. The heart rate of a house

- wrecked me so hard. made me say to myself, if this is what love is, then i dont want it. i dont think i can read it again anytime soon. But so, so beautiful. God.

2. captive prince series

-once had a blog dedicated to this series. book 2, oh my goodness. restraint and, wow.

3. all for the game series

thats all i got for favs and all time famouses

• 2 weeks later...

this is harder than i imagined... but here goes my list.

-Captive prince series

- Mirage of blaze (does it count if ive only read a few volumes then jyst a detailed summary of the last volumes..?? but this

-Spy Vs Spook series by tinnean

-The locker room by Amy Lane

-Cold sleep series Konohara Narise

-Try (Temptation series ) Ella Frank

-Want me - Rowan Mcbride

-Overtime - T.S McKinney

- Protection - S.A Reid

- Soldiers - Alexandr Voinov .Marquesate ( this was really really good .. but the 2nd book just breaks my heart which made me never to read this book again.. )

-- I just realized how i miss this books...

• 10 months later...

Thank you all for answering! I have a terrible memory, so I completely forgot about this thread!!

I also am going to post my new list, because I found out that some of my fav books changed, but some others are the same from 2 years ago :)

1) The Rifter series by Ginn Hale (sort of medieval fantasy, two main characters, travelling between words, ) magical powers, enemies to lovers I guess, epic)

2) The Archer's Heart by Astrid Amara (fantasy inspired by Indian mythology, sort of instant fall into lust, but slowly falling in love, long plot)

3) Tournament of Losers by Megan Derr (fantasy setting, a tournament to marry the prince, misunderstandings that end up in fairytale romance)

4) The God Eaters by Hajicek (characters met in prison, fantasy, very plotty)

5) Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale (urban fantasy, enemies to lover, detective story)

6) The Course of Honor by Avoliot (this is actually on ao3, but it is novel quality. Space adventure, arranged marriage, royalty, misunderstandings, it has everything I could want)

7) Shades of Grey by Brooke McKinley (classic FBI guy falls in love with criminal)

8) Cagebird by Lowachee (in space, characters met in prison, mostly about the main character and the love story is very secondary, but what a great main character, quite violent, I have to admit)

9) The Only Gold by Tamara Allen (Victorian era, sweet and soft but with some big surprises)

10) The Reliquary Ring by Cherith Baldry (renaissance sci fi, clones, multiple main characters, there are two gay romances but secondary and one is unrequired!)

• 7 months later...

My list is less than 10

my number one is Mirage of Blaze (only fan translated. Hope one day they get fully translated)

Yokozawa no Baai

Amai Wana de Torokasete

Immoral Darkness

• 5 weeks later...

oew what a great idea to make top ten lists. I have readi titles that I knew about, but haven't read yet. definitly will check them out again later. This is my top ten

1. Cut & Run series. Abigail Roux (how could it not? it's written like a pro. I often reread this books just because they are written so well)

2. THIRDS series. Charlie Cochet (this one could be number one for me too. it's so funny to read and I absolutely adore the main character Dax. that's his new written correctly right? blush no good with names sorry.

3. .Captive Prince Trilogy (at first I had to get into it. I mean when I started this book I wasn't sure I would like it. But the more I read the more I got into it. jokes in books I mostly smile gently. But in book 3 there was a part that I was laughing with a belly ache. I mean I think it just was because of the previous books and content. but that made it my favorite. That was a real tiny laughing part though, the rest is kind of serious.

4. Over and Over Again - Cole McCade (this book I read a few month ago. it is so beautiful written and I absolutely loved it.

5. Life according to maps serie by Nash Summers (a YA sery, but a joy to read. really funny.

6. Sanguis Noctis serie by Robin Saxon & Alex Kidwell (loved this story as well. a innocent werewolf and a slightly bad thief. how could this go wrong?

7. Sixth sense story by Saray Madison (already number 7? I have more books I loved then I thought. But this is nice as well. a mean put two special agents together and a relic that make strange things happen. and yeah I'm in! let's get ready for this weird adventure.

8. Just a bit... series by Alessandra Hazard - (I was thinking what else, what else and then...how could I forget this one? I mean I like one book the best if I'm honest but, the rest made it because it was written so well. I searched the title for you guys. it was just a bit confusing.

9. More heat than the sun by John Wiltshire - I must say I only read book 1, because at the time I couldn't find any other books from the writer. At the time I loved the book but have forgotten about it. now that I had to think hard of a nine book/serie. I remembered this one. It made me look for the other books and yes I found them. Have to say it was so long ago that I have to read book 1 again and I don't even know if I like the book now the same as I liked it back then. but I had to put something on number nine so here you go.

9. I remember... kage serie by Maris Black I put instead in number nine. I mean I remember that serie it was really good. a fighter meets noob reporter.

10. Nothing special series by A.E Via (special forces romances...explosions included