+thrillers

Dislikes:

-coffee

-assholes

-clowns

-rom.com's

-flying

[NAPD headquarters, Noname City downtown]

Sam was the new guy in NAPD and had been for three months now. His partner, an older woman named Padrowsky, had a heart attack at the end of their last investigation and was currently being treated at the hospital. Something she bemoaned both times he'd visited. After that she'd more or less thrown him out, telling him to do stop wasting time on old people in hospitals.

So he went back to work and got called into the chiefs office.

“Walker, since you're currently without a partner I'm giving you Riley's art theft case, you know the one that has the rich and spoiled all ruffled.” his chief gruffed, sliding a thin folder across the desk. Riley was one of the few that still insisted on getting everything in paper and storing them in coffee stained, brown folders like something from a classic PI-movie. Sam looked inside and found only a few witness statements and the crime reports from the three thefts.

“Not much to go on, chief...”

“Well, Riley's a dumb-ass. I'm giving you this so you can prove you're less of a dumb-ass than he is. The mayor has been asking about this, apparently the last victim was something of a friend of his.” he went on explaining, rubbing his forehead. Sam sighed and stood. “Yeah, sure, I'll get right on it.”

“Yeah, and one more thing. Apparently there's this new program for young but still adult convicted felons to get them rehabilitated quicker, and somehow the powers that be has decided to take this case as one of those trial-cases. You're going to be getting a professional criminal to help out, some kind of art-thief and conman apparently. His information is in your mail and you'll meet him tomorrow morning at the first scene of the crime, the Johnston's villa.”

Sam gaped.

“Close your mouth, Walker. That's all, now leave.”

Speechless he returned to his desk and sat down, putting the thin folder on the neat and organised desk. That was unexpected, he thought and shook his head. Soon the shock was replaced with curiosity and frustration. It was with conflicted feelings he logged in and pulled up the details on the criminal he'd partner up with tomorrow. A part of him felt irritated that criminals would be involved in police work, convicted criminals should do their time and not be out and about, and the other part felt like this could be a great resource to have. It would all depend on the person in question.

He scrolled through the information, stopping to peer at the picture of the guy taken against the depressing background of some police districts concrete walls. Those pictures were never flattering. Shiroe Chika, 21. Young, he mused and pushed back dark hair out of his face. He needed to get a hair cut soon, it'd gotten too long, or his mother would throw a fit when she saw him again. Sam picked up the single personal item he had on his desk, the picture of his mother and his younger sister smiling up at him, and looked at them. And missed them.

I'll give them a call when I get home, he thought and put the frame back. Carefully lining it up with his stapler and tape holder. He felt calmer now.

“Oi, Walker, stop daydreaming and get to work.” the chief called from across the pen. “And don't forget your meeting tomorrow. 9AM!”

Time for some paperwork.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WolfDog12

• Uzaki

chika_akatsuki_by_litka_sullivan-d6hbpp4.jpg

Name: Shiroe Chika (First, Last)

Height: 5'5"

Weight: 140 lbs

Position: Uke

Occupation: convicted criminal, now working as a a kind of detective as a contracted criminal under a detective's super vision. Shiroe is constantly being monitored because he is no longer in jail.

Conviction:

-Theft (Of art)

-Counterfeiting

-Forgery

(He's done more but that's all he was convicted of. Is also a great escape artist.)

-hot chocolate

-smooth talking people

-being right

-dogs

Dislikes:

-being proven wrong

-the smell of smoke

-jail

-weak partners

[/hr]

Sketching on a small piece of paper, there was a tapping on metal and the young prisoner looked back. "Congratulations number 26084, you have just been approved to try and redeem yourself and to get out of here on a kind of probation."

"Kind of probation? So it's not actually probation?" The guard gave him a scowl and the prisoner just shrugged and made a face like 'It's a legitimate question.' "Ok, so if it's not actual probation, what kind of probation is it?"

"This of it like a house arrest, if you go too far without permission, you end up back here. If you don't do your job, you end up back here. And you get to wear a nice anklet. You'll be assisting the police in catching bad guys. If you do your job correctly, you get off the leash and are a free man." The officer left him with that to think about. Honestly, it sounded like a pretty good deal. Better than being locked up in here for the rest of his life anyway. "You start tomorrow, meeting is at 9AM. There you will meet the officer you are assigned to who will watch over you and oversee everything you do."

"Not creepy at all." The guard wasn't too thrilled about that comment either but he left it alone and just walked away for now. Shiroe Chika was about to become a police dog that could talk and help out because he knows the business... That was going to be an interesting meet up. Shiroe just turned and went on with what he was doing just sketching again. He was a brilliant artist and even this small sketch was a thing of beauty. As terrible as it is, the jail allowed him to have these materials and he continued to work to keep his skills sharp. No one wants a dull tool because it never works as well as a sharp one.

The room was full of art supplies and books with magazines. The room looked like a full artist's room with everything in messy piles about the room with all kinds of papers and different things drawn all over them. It was quite strange for a prisoner to have, especially since he was convicted of all art based crimes. They really shouldn't have supplied so many things but they did so Shiroe kept every skill he had up and running for in case he got out and had the chance to do something with them.

[Johnston's Villa]

The next morning Sam stood on the porch of the Johnston's villa and waited. Checking the time on his smart-phone he noted it was still twenty minutes left until the drop off of his new partner. Consultant. Consultant is a better description, he thought and took a drag of the cigarette he had almost used up, he couldn't call a convicted criminal his partner without being the laughing stock of the department. He blew the smoke at a few flies fluttering around the porch light, watching them buzz around in even more erratic circles than before.

Even though it was close to nine in the morning and the sun was up it was still dark outside. There were heavy and dark clouds looming in the sky, blocking out the sun and it's attempt to reach through. You could see hints of the sun through the clouds at times, where they separated briefly before filling up once more.

He'd gotten the key and security code from the maid earlier, the Johnston's had traveled away on business and wouldn't be back for a few weeks, and had promised to lock up and set the alarm on the way out.

Sam pulled gently on the tie to his suit, loosening it just a bit, and looked around. The villa was quite spacious and two stories high, the driveway was neat and clean and the hedges trimmed and well maintained. Like most of the estates in this area. He finished his cigarette, put it out against the sole of his shoe and then hid it in the soil of the large planter on the porch. He mentally snickered at his little rebellious act.

Then he heard the sound of a car pulling in the driveway.

Here we go.

Morning... a dark morning but morning none the less, rolled around and Shiroe was woken by the guard on duty and he told him to get up and get dressed. The Guards gave him a simple pair of dress pants and a dress shirt. No tie and no coat.... Shiroe wasn't much of a fighter but they still feared he might try to strangle someone. The young man got all dressed up and ready to go before being forced to wear his anklet.

"Looks good on me, doesn't it?" Clearly none of the officers standing guard thought this was amusing. No one really liked Shiroe's laid back and sassy attitude that always seemed present. But hey, that's just how he was and there was no stopping him at this point. At least they only had to put up with him for a little while longer before they finally got to send him off and hopefully never have to deal with his sassy ass ever again.

A few cars were already out front for the few that were selected to be a part of this experiment and Shiroe got into the car assigned to him. The young man was lead away from the prison he truly hated, leaving all his sketches and materials behind to start a new.... He just wasn't allowed to bring them with him so he'd have to get his hands on some new materials and just start over. It was no big loss really.

A couple minutes before 9AM, the car came to a stop in front of a huge building. "It's not 9 yet so should I just wait here in the car for a while?" He got a big fat "OUT" and got out of the car to go greet the man standing on the steps. He honestly didn't look that much older, but the black hair certainly contrasted against Shiroe's white hair.

"My name is Shiroe Chika. Pleasure to meet you officer." The convict held out his hand for a friendly handshake.

The car pulled up and two exited, the one he recognized as the convict, from the photo he'd seen, and a person he assumed was the handler to drop him off. A gruff looking guy that gave the both of them a withering look from across the car before walking around. Sam accepted the offered hand from the younger man and shook it briefly before releasing it again.

“Detective.” he corrected automatically, used to needing to give his title due to his young age or civilians lack of knowledge about the differing titles. “Detective Walker, a pleasure.” he added and then looked back up to gruff guy who'd moved around the car and fished out some wrinkled papers and more or less threw them into Sam's hands.

“Sign the first one and give it here, keep the rest.” the guy said impatiently “All the details about accommodation and such is in the papers. He's yours now, have fun Detective.” Sam handed over the now signed paper and watched silently as the man got back to the car.

He glanced to Shiroe.

“Charming.” he couldn't help but comment before refocusing on his new acquaintance. “So, you're an art-thief then?” he questioned, not sure what he had expected but whatever it was it wasn't this young man. The picture he'd seen didn't really translate well, so Sam was a bit surprised at Shiroe's good looks. It threw him off a bit, made him feel a bit unsure in this strange and unexpected situation. Keep calm and carry on, he reminded himself.

The two shook hands and Shiroe was quickly corrected on which term to use for addressing his new partner. He then turned to look at the other that had driven him here. That grumpy face seemed permanently plastered on his face like a troll or something. Clearly someone spent too many years under a bridge. When Detective Walker finished signing off on the paper and handed it back, the man hurried off wanting to be as far away as possible.

"Charming.”

The detective stated and Shiroe simply raised his eyebrows in agreement as he watched the other drive off. "Con Artist," The male corrected the same way he was corrected about the detective part. "I was actually convicted for forgery more than anything else and I must say, I'm quite good at it." He gave a confident but almost gentle smile. "Mind if I just call you Sam? It is a lot easier than calling you Detective Walker and I'm going to assume, since you are a suit with probably a boss that always acts like there is a pole up his ass, that he just calls you Walker so calling you by your last name would make me sound like your superior. Clearly you wouldn't want that so... How about I call you Sam?" Yep, he was a smooth talker.

"Alright, so what are we looking at here? I wasn't filled in on the details of the case, just a few details on you... More like they told be I'd be assigned to a Sam Walker if you were wondering how I knew your name." Shiroe walked forward and entered the house to look around seeing if he could spot anything that seemed at all odd to him. He was in a criminal mind so seeing what could be of value would be easy for him.

Con artist, right, Sam thought to himself. The art of conning someone. Once again he was hit with the strangeness of the situation. Working with a convicted con-artist. He would make the best of it, he always did, and he'd worked his way into a detective’s grade at his young age so this was only another thing he'd make work.

“Yeah, sure, call me Sam.” he replied and followed into the house. Closing the door behind them while keeping a close eye at the other. He circled to the left toward the large archway that led into a grand sitting room. Across from the space filled with expensive looking furniture and accessories, on the short end wall, was rectangle patch of wall paper a few shades darker than the rest of the room.

“And I read your case file.” he confessed and offered a small smile of his own, eyes lighting up. He motioned into the room and pointed to the obvious area with something missing. “That empty space...” he started and looked over Shiroe “...held a painting by Edouard Manet, it was called La jetée de Boulogne,” he half-butchered the name with bad french and cleared his throat before continuing. “and was priced at 2,7millon dollar five years ago. It's the only item stolen.”

Sam walked into the room and over to the wall, he turned toward the other again.

“There's not much to go on, some cut wires, a few boot prints which we have very nice pictures of.” he offered the sparse information, this theft didn't really leave much to go on. Probably not even for a professional such as Shiroe. The second house wasn't all that interesting either, but he figured maybe the other would find some sort of connection or think of something they'd overlooked. It was the third house, that they would visit later, that was interesting and with fresh evidence.

“Also, according to the information I read, you'll stay out of prison as long as you're helpful. When the case ends, you'll be evaluated and have the sentence either reduced and/or changed to minimum security. Should this partnership work favorably, you'll continue working with the department until your sentence is up. However long that takes, and with your permission of course. When working with me you'll stay in your own flat that goes with the device you have on you.” Sam wet his lips, a bit dry from all the talking he was doing.

“So, this will work or it won't, either way, we won't know until we try, right?”

• 2 weeks later...

"You mean "La jetée de Boulogne" by Edouard Manet," he said in nearly perfect french. "That certainly is a great piece. However, the person that took it left a pretty obvious trade mark on the area." Shiroe walked over to the cut wires and observed them. "First off, the person you're looking for is left handed. You can tell by the way the wires are cut." He then observed the area around the floor and lifted a nearly invisible read strand of what looked like hair.

"I know what this is, It is a thread made of a special french silk. Very expensive, very hard to come by." Shiroe thought for a while before turning and disappearing up stairs with the strand. He shuffled through the closets of the master of the house and pulled out a red suit. Turning it inside out exposed the silk threads. "This house really like's its expensive French things. Look here, now, a master of a mansion this big wouldn't put up or take down an expensive painting no matter how valuable. He'd get someone else to do it. So, a thread shouldn't appear on the ground, plus, this thread didn't come from this suit. However, someone else who would have this exact same suit would have taken it. You're looking for someone left-handed, and close to the family. Someone who'd have a lot to lose if they couldn't get their hands on this painting." His deduction was very on point as he walked around finding clues that just wouldn't stand out for normal detectives.

"One of those boot prints is clearly different from the other, it is a bit slimmer and has a unique pattern that is also a very french brand. See the curve on the heel here?" Shiroe traces the curve with his finger. "There is only one shoe shop in the city that even sells these boots because of how expensive and unique they are, typically created with a specific wearer in mind. Shall we take a drive to 'La Halle' and see who he's been tailoring his shoes to? In an operation like this, the boss will personally see it through while watching his goons do the dirty work." The con artist looked pretty proud of himself.