Ascension {Chapter One} Part 1

BonnBonn

The warm, soft breeze had blown with gentle force past many bodies before it planted it's soft kisses on the cheeks of many. The bustling medieval market place housed stalls and tents of many kinds whilst the people of nearby farm villages and towns gathered to trade and barter goods for goods and goods for services. The people swarmed stalls like insects would swarm fallen honey or sweets and touched the products, poking and prodding them with their dirty, work worn hands. The cobblestone beneath the cloth wrapped and fully protected armored feet wore down every shuffle and every step from the beings using it to avoid direct contact with the uneven dirt it rested upon.

The farmer's market was at this spot once every year, ready to serve anyone and everyone willing to pay their prices whether it be in gold or other wares. The guards of the capital were there was well, keeping an eye on the bustling crowd and ready to catch any lowlife who dares to step out of line. The guards walked in pairs as they patrolled the busy square, keeping an eye and ear out for any unusual sounds of scuffling and pinching. Two guards passed by an ally way on their way to complete their tenth round for that day, only the one closes to the opening took a quick glance inside the dark passage between the buildings before continuing on with his duty.

Xanis peered his head out from behind a corner as he watched the shadows of the two men slowly fade as they walked away from the ally. The blonde half elf sighed relieved as he looked over to his friend who was almost holding his breath while he clutched stolen food under his ragged jacket.

"It's clear." Xanis whispered, his deep purple eyes giving his friend the reassuring look the other needed. The younger male sighed relieved as well as he sank down to the ground and let the food fall onto a large wood plank.

"Thanks Xan, I couldn't have done this without you." He said as he handed a roll of bread to Xanis after the blonde had sat down across from him. Xanis smiled and took the bread, tearing it in half and giving the other half back.

"No problem Dread. I know how hard it is being an unholy wretch in the middle of an Elven run kingdom." He said smiling. Dread smiled back and gently took the bread and ate it slowly, savoring the taste of the yeast filled starch.

"I just can't believe after so many years they decide to hunt hell hounds and shifters now." He said, his mouth slightly full of bread. Xanis nodded in agreement as he tore small bits off his own piece and slowly ate them. Dread looked up at Xanis.

"You're technically royalty, maybe you could talk some sense into them?" He asked looking at his friend with hopeful brown eyes. Xanis shook his head.

"Sorry Dread I can't. I would be shot on site. There's no room for Ambrosian Cursed in these lands anymore. You know I have been running from these people all my life I can't just waltz up and say hey I am royalty I want you to stop being such ass-tards to these hell hounds and shape shifters." Xanis said, mocking a gruff mannered nobleman. Dread couldn't help but giggle. Xanis smiled and looked at his friend, enjoying the sound of laughter coming from the other's lips; a sound he hasn't heard in months ever since the no hell hounds law had been passed. Ever since--.

"Xanis?"

Xanis blinked and looked at Dread who's voice had snapped him out of his thoughts.

"Yeah?" He asked the other. Dread stared at his friend for a moment and shook his head.

"Nothing, just worried about you. you've been going into thought a lot and dazing out. Even when it's a bad time. Is there something on your mind that you're not telling me?" He asked as he continued to eat small portions of the bread in his hands. Xanis sighed and shook his head.

"No Dread, I'm fine. I'm just tired is all. Let's finish dinner at home ok?" Xanis suggested as he looked up at the other. Dread nodded and stood up, helping Xanis pick up the food before they walked toward the south end of the village.

"Youknow you can tell me anything right?" Dread said looking over at the taller male. Xanis nodded.

"I know Dread, I know. Let's just get home and eat and go to bed. We have a lot of foraging to do tomorrow before the winter months set in. We don't want it to be like last winter now do we?" Xanis asked smirking over at Dread. Dread shook his head.

"No, but last winter wasn't that bad..well minus the frostbite." Dread has replied as he thought about the harsh months they almost starved to death.

Then two had finally come upon a small hut just outside the town limits and Dread opened the door since he had less food in his arms. They both walked in and set the food on the table. Dread went over and closed the door, sliding the metal lock into place and moving the small rodent chewed sofa in front of the door. Xanis grabbed a small bread roll and an apple before walking over to a cot in the back corner of the room. He lay down on the stiff spring filled mattress and stared up at the ceiling, listening to the rusted coils under him repeatedly creak under his weight. He looked over at Dread and saw the young one did the same. He smiled.

"Night Dread." He said. Dread smiled and looked over at Xanis.

"Night Xan."

Dread reached up and pulled a rope, a large dark sheet then fell and covered the only window around the whole shack, covering the two in safe and comforting darkness. Xanis ate a small amount of food before he drifted into a dreamless sleep.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yaoifangirl

• BonnBonn

Top Posters In This Topic