Lost Underwater City Shi Cheng, China

Key

Chinese-Atlantis-underwater-Lion-City-Shi-Cheng.jpg

Shi Cheng, Underwater Ancient City

Fifty three years ago a city founded 1300 years ago in China vanished. This happened because the Government decided they needed a new hydro-electric power station. As water rose, Shi Cheng, also known as ‘Lion City’ was flooded, all city being left at the bottom of this new-found lake.

The ancient city lays now 40 meters beneath the Qiandao Lake (Thousand Island Lake).

What’s impressive is the way the walls and all decorations on them are in such a good shape. In this post you can see some images, as well as a video from the beautiful underwater city.

underwater-city-china-1_zpsfe9824f7.jpgUnderwatercity_zps3c037988.jpgLostCityChina_zps99993ef5.jpgUnderwatercityChina_zpsfb3866a8.jpgUnderwatercityinChina_zps663f250d.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Key

• Dayu

• yaoifictionlove

• fan_yaoi

@

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Yes, the city was located at the base of the Wu Shi mountain and when the valley was flooded in 1959, the city was left 40 meters (131 ft) underwater.

Base? So that's means it's just on the side part. Then, why the water didn't decreased? If it's being flooded unless the city is right in the middle and the flow of water is blocked.

- - - Updated - - -

I just realized right now that it's Underwater hahaha I thought it was Underwear that's why I checked it out. hahaha

The water didn't decrease cause it was flooded on purpose with a huge amount of water in order to create a lake and a hydro-electric power station. The city is at the bottom of this lake:

Qiandao-lake-13%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

That was a waste ruining a city.

Well, it's in history now. I am thinking if a lot of people died there because of that. The lake is beautiful though. How can it stayed like that for a very long time?

• 4 weeks later...

Wow it look really cool. I like things underwater, like "lost-cities". Really nice pictures and very interesting.

:8yoyo13:

• 1 month later...

It is beautiful in real life but...and I'm gonna sound like whatever but honestly... it's not worth it. It gets boring so quickly.

I prefer sightseeing where my attention is needed (almost) all the time... at all times! I don't know, it may just be me but I really think your time or money can be put to better use unless you're into that sort of things then go ahead!

It's absolutely fantastic and fascinating!

• 1 month later...