How to Use Chopsticks

Key

If for many Europeans or Americans chopsticks can be an intimidating and difficult to use, they are a part of Asian food culture. Especially if you are an Asian food lover, it’s very important to know how to use them, because they are put on your table instead of fork in all Asian restaurants.

chopsticks.jpg

I’ve heard people asking how can Asian people even grab rice with chopsticks, but actually all Asian food is prepared so that it can be easily handled with chopsticks.

Using chopsticks is not hard at all, you just need a bit of practice and patience.

How to use chopsticks

1. Position your hand as if you are going to shake hands with someone.

chop1.jpg

2. Place the first chopstick in the crook between your thumb and index finger.

219z685.jpg

3. Put the second chopstick on top and hold it with your thumb and index finger. Make sure the chopsticks are parallel.

30lcu83.jpg

4. Tuck your ring finger underneath the first (lower) chopstick.

34e54zr.jpg

5. Tuck your middle finger underneath the second (upper) chopstick.

2hhzply.jpg

6. To pick up food, move the second chopstick up and down to grip pieces with the ends of the two chopsticks.

14ebh5c.jpg

Also, remember that there are a few things you must pay attention to when using chopsticks or you may make mistakes and be laughed at.

- Don’t cross your chopsticks, as in Asian culture it symbolizes death.

- Don’t stir your food around with your chopsticks, as this is considered to be insulting to the cook.

- Don’t hold your chopsticks together as you’d grasp a knife to attack.

34pgzdx.jpg

- If you want to drink something, don’t hold the cup or mug with the same hand in which you hold the chopsticks.

- Don’t hit the sides of your plate and make a lot of noise, because it is considered as you’re making noise to beg for food

- Don’t point at others with your chopsticks, this is considered even ruder than pointing with your fingers.

- Don’t insert chopsticks vertically into the rice bowl, as Asian people do this only when they burn incense to mourn the dead relatives.

choo.jpg

- Don’t suck the end of your chopsticks or lick them.

- Don’t wander your chopsticks around aimlessly over several dishes, trying to decide what your want to have next.

- Don’t rub chopsticks together.

- Don’t pass food from your chopsticks to someone else’s chopsticks. This is to be avoided because during Buddhist funerals the bones of the burned body are passed in that way from person to person. So, if you want to give food to a person, use chopsticks and place the food on a plate.

24c605y.jpg

- Don’t leave your chopsticks in your mouth while you’re doing something else with your hands, like picking up plates.

- Don’t dig in food to get the best pieces, it’s not polite and also don’t change the food you have chosen after you have touched it.

So, there you have it! Start practicing, best of luck and most of all, enjoy your new chopstick eating experience. (:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yaoifangirl

• Yakun

• Dayu

• Choree

- Don’t wander your chopsticks around aimlessly over several dishes, trying to decide what your want to have next.

This one was so funny! :8yoyo13: I just realized I don't hold the chopsticks properly. :5yoyo21: I wonder if I was laughed at before. yoyo

I remember the time when I hurt my dominant hand and we decided to eat at a Japanese Restaurant. I literally stabbed the sushi, the japs stared at me. LOL

528c6e098a6e0a77eea2c7b0f7c3cdca.jpg

What you've said made me laugh

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried using chopsticks before

I don't know if I can still do it.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

, I'm not sure if this is the case in every country of Asia...But, for instance, Burmese hold their chopstick differently from the Thais (who hold it probably differently than the Japanese). Therefore, I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong way of holding chopstick for all Asians :/

I have noidea whats the right way XD i just do what works,but i actually think i do hold them like those pictures.

dont worry, just use your big spoon you always use XD XD