- Learning Music -

jo_suzaku

- Music: A Language -

I was just going through this forum and I realized that there was no thread on learning Music, as a language. I am a trained pianist, nothing very fancy but I do know my 'C's from my 'A's. So I thought I'd make a thread so that more people can learn Music, as a language. What I have learned is Western Classical music. So I basically play things like Sonatas and Waltzes. I have also learned Classical Jazz. Rock and Pop is not my forte but I can try and help. I started out on the pianoforte years ago and have now graduated to playing other instruments like the guitar, drums and violin.

They say if you learn the language of one instrument, you can play any other. Whoever said that was right, all you got to know is your theory. Again, I have done a few exams so I can help. Music Theory is more like Math. Strange but true. Usually people who like Math, love Theory. But even if you can't count, it doesn't make much of a difference. Music is Music, and once you start learning it, you automatically get the rhythm and the groove.

If you are playing an instrument, there are several things to keep in mind. If you are singing, you need to read out the melody. Rhythm instruments require a different line and so do the bass. There are usually four parts to every composition->

* Treble [Highest voice]

*Alto

* Tenor

* Bass [Lowest voice]

Then again, you can have a three part composition or two. That depends on the genre you want to get into. Composing music is another matter all together. I am currently working on my first composition and it takes sometime getting used to everything. You need to check the following things before you start composing any piece->

* Tempo [speed]

* Scale [Key]

* Mood [usually written in Italian at the top of each piece]

Then, comes the notes and placements. Hope this little introduction into my world has helped, even a little bit. If you have any doubts, you can ask me ^_^

- Jo -

0d09b63754_105696318_o2.png

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jo_suzaku

• arcuspluviusincitus

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Jo I am impressed, I love the idea of this thread! I would have done it myself but I know very little of theory, I basically learn pieces by ear however what you said is true about you not needing a mathematical mind..(I am terrible at maths >.>) it does not matter because it is easy to grasp and just wing it.

I do wish I learned my theory better due to the fact that I often stay up late, I sit there daydreaming and I play around with Ideas of Waltzes and some of Chopin's Mazurkas and it is really truly beautiful, the Ideas I have I just wish I could write down. >.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
:

That's awesome! I thought that while I compose I could write about it, thereby helping you, me and everyone learn their Theory. When I was younger I belonged to a Music School where 5-6 of us used to sit down together and study theory once every week. In this way, we all helped each other, especially when one of us had doubts. Music is best learned when people learn together so if you do have any more ideas, suggestions or anything that I might type wrong, feel free to correct me and teach me as well *grin*

- Clef Symbols -

When you're writing music, you first need to know where to place your notes. The higher notes fall into the Treble region and the lower notes go into the Bass region. If you look at a lot of sheet music, many a times there are composers who use two or more bass lines. It is possible to use two or more treble lines as well, depending on the piece. To keep it simple, let's assume the piece has only one Treble line and one Bass line. 'Clef' is a French word which means 'Key'.

The symbol which represents the Treble region is called the Treble clef or the G-clef. It is called the G-clef because when you begin to draw the symbol, you start from the line on which the note G lies in the Treble region. It is drawn as follows -

161xspe.png

The symbol which represents the Bass region is called the Bass clef or the F-clef. Since the symbol is drawn starting from the line on which F lies in the bass region, it is called a 'F-clef'. It is drawn as follows -

2czuhxl.png

There is also another clef know as the C-clef but it is not used very often. However it is important to know it as the symbol is drawn starting on the line which represents the note 'C'. It is drawn as follows -

2h6bnew.png

- Jo -