Cooking Italian food

Dark chocolates

Playing lawn tennis

Prefers coffee over tea

The sunny and rainy weather

People (guys) that smell good

Dislikes:

Being 'caged' in his room/house

Being stagnant (like in a job or in a situation)

The cold weather

Bossy people

Personality: Ryo is a fresh graduate of a university and is living his life doing part time jobs at the retail business while travelling Japan in his free time with his friends. He's a kind-hearted, free-spirited young man who's got a lot of time in his hands. He lives alone in his apartment that he always leave behind because he is not the type to settle. He's tall and slightly skinny in built with beautiful features which makes him stand out from the rest.

[/td]

[td]

2v0cry8.jpg

Name: Mine Watanabe

D.O.B: 20-05

Height: 5'11" (182 cm)

Eye color: Ebony

Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual (or so he thought)

Preserving energy. (by which means, he doesn't do anything unnecessary)

Keeping everything neat and clean. (slightly OCD)

Collecting books. (Always buys three books per month)

Winter and Autumn/Cold weather.

Coffee.

Sightseeing.

Metaphor and Simile.

Restaurants. (He can't cook so...everyone can infer from that)

Hiking and a few other simple healthy activities (E.g: Running, biking)

Having his environment under control.

Dislikes:

Cooking. (It's never been his thing)

Hot weather. (Too sweaty. too malodorous)

Noisy place and people. (Gives him headache)

Hypocrites.

Nepotism.

His books being ruined and looking like rags.

Personality:

He is a little-higher-than-average white-collar who works as a strategist in the Marketing Dept of Asashi Crop. He doesn't enjoy those annoying parties after work because they happen too often. Living up to his minimalist style, Mine rents an apartment. He doesn't have much vacations but if there are some free occasions, he will pick a resort to stay for a few days. Relaxing is the main purpose of every vacations he's ever had. His introvert personality has led to a small circle of friends, however, their friendships are genuine. In the past, he had two or three girlfriends since he obtains rather handsome features, not to mention his exceptional height. His relationships often lasted for at least a year or two for he being a well-raised man. Though he was usually the one who ended a relationship, there had never been any harm on both sides.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[table=width: 500, align: center]

[tr]

[td]

In the near future, humans have already extended their knowledge of altering DNAs and creating a unique transformation to the human body. Dr. Urihara, the mastermind of this procedure had successfully passed human altered genetics or what they call HalGen. Of course, a lot had opposed this process because it is against the human law but Dr. Urihara believes it is the best form of innovation of all. The first few people who are used as 'specimens' for the genetic mutation are law offenders, murderers and low-life criminals who were given a second chance to live again, but as a 'pet' to someone. These pets are then being sold to rich people, often businessmen who likes to have something extraordinary for their amusement. The demand for 'HalGen pets' grew unexpectedly and in all honestly, those businessmen wanted them to be eye-candies, not just some old, rugged, reused criminals. Knowing this, Dr. Urihara decided to step up his game and connived with a criminal organization and their human trafficking business to sell a few 'Class A' people as a new set of specimen to undergo HalGen.

A private rp with

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
and
Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

The night's air was still. Even though the busy streets of the city hails every sound and noise imaginable, the runaway Ryo found serenity along the dark, mucky alleys of Tokyo, away from his pursuers.

The male, who seems to be around his early twenties, sat on the ground; his back slouched against the cold and moldy concrete wall. He was panting but it seemed that the male had already recovered from too much running. His clothes were slightly wretched and dirty, having one foot bare from losing a shoe while on a run. He seemed to be a normal young man but taking a closer look, there was something more peculiar about his appearance. Although his face looked normal; handsome even, on his head lay a pair of black, slightly furry, twitching flesh that resembles a cat's ears. The dark place and his black hair had somehow concealed the pair of ears but going out and walking at the bright streets of the city wouldn't really conceal the other odd part that had sprouted from his body. It was a tail. A black, slightly furry tail that was about three feet long. Ryo had been trying to tuck the said tail inside his pants but whenever he touches it, he feels a surge of different sensations, more or less painful.

He sat there in the mucky ground with his eyes half-lidded as exhaustion and sleepiness was about to envelope his senses. He wasn't hoping for someone to notice and help him. No one really pays attention to alleycats after all. He only wanted sleep to succumb into him and if he was lucky enough, he'd wake up the next day, still alive.

He didn't want to die. If he did, he should have never dared to escape the research facility where he came from or he could have jumped off a bridge while trying to run away. Ryo isn't a person who would give up and just end it all. But somehow, it crossed in his mind that maybe dying in the middle of his sleep wouldn't be so bad than having his captors find him and bring him back to that facility. He had experienced enough pain and suffering and he wished for all of it to end. Soon.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Choco Berry

• Xylto

[tr]

[td]He lifted up two cravats which hardly bare any difference, and scrutinized them with great concentration. One of his past girlfriends had once questioned him, "Why do you spend so much time on something so trivial?" Mine always smiled at the query and said, "It is trivial, isn't it?" Choosing a cravat successfully was trivial. So was bringing forth a good strategy for the next product. They were all little to him though by all means, Mine was not the type of men who was ambitious. He sighed and put down the cravat with the lighter color that he liked because the other one suited him better.

That was how it simply was. The other one suited him better...

Throughout the entire trip from home to work on the train, Mine had revised his presentation in his head over and over then gave himself possible questions from the management board. But soon after he had come out of the station and met the mini garden next to the gate, his mind drifted away. It was the turning of winter. Washed clean in a scent of earth by days of season-changing rain, the trees were dipped in a fierce cold green. But not all of them, some were stripped from their leaves and stood naked in the dawn of winter's breeze. A smear of white cloud painted acrosse the pale sky like a slip of a finger during a calligraphy session. He wondered when his breath would be visible in the air.

"Another great success! Woohoo, Watnabe-san is indeed number one in this profession!" Takeshi wrapped his arm over Mine's shoulder in a carefree manner while his other arm was raising up a cup of wine for a cheer. “To my amazingly talented colleague! To the greatest buds I've ever had! And to my last day as a wifeless man!”

That final sentence was the only reason for his appearance in a bar at this godly hour. His best friend, Takeshi Asashi, was about to get married the next day. So anyone could infer from what had transpired that Mine was attending his best friend's bachelor party. Takeshi had rented out the entire bar for his friends to enjoy the night to their heart content. Everyone was drunk, slurring meaningless words, urinating in tree pots, screaming how suck it was to be caged by the label 'husband'.

"Why are you so quiet? You are supposed to be the soul of the party. You are, you are..." Takeshi hiccupped. "My best man!"

"Mate, you are drunk," He chuckled and pushed the finger which was poking his cheek aside. "I'm not fit for the role at all."

"But you are still gonna do it or I will fire you!" His best friend gave up on teasing him with a smile.

"Like hell you will," Mine shook his head while mentally preparing for the talk. The change of expression on Takeshi's mien revealed the man's attempt.

The doofus drunkard grin was gradually removed from Takeshi's face as his eyes showed traces of soberness. Untangled the tie around his head, Takeshi flung it to a corner which made Mine frowned. The culprit quickly apologized and promised he would pick it up right away, which he did not.

"Don't you ever feel lonely?" Takeshi suddenly asked.

"With the likes of you as my friends, hardly," He answered nonchalantly.

"Well, I'm going be somebody's husband soon so I don't think I'll get to see you around like before," The other's voice became softer, more serious. Mine clearly was not appealed to where the conversation was directed to. Part of him had guessed it out, thus, he wanted to avoid this matter at all cost.

"I know where this is going but I'm not an autism patient. Don't worry about nonexistent stuff," Mine sent his friend a firm look, a smile faintly decorating his lips.

"You don't undrstand me," Takeshi rubbed his temple, apparently cogitating. "You are currently living alone, unable to cook anything edible aside instant food which isn't counted as cook."

"Are you suggesting me to get a new lover?" He asked dubiously.

"No, not like that, I mean-..."

"You should get a pet," Out of nearly nowhere, Tomoe materialised next to them, face as red as a tomato, an obvious drunk. To this, Takeshi clasped his hands in agreement with his head nodding up and down while Tomoe slowly slouhed down next to them, dozing off.

"Yes! That is what I meant to say!"

His dark eyes stared at his two idiotic friends blankly as if he had heard the most ridiculous joke on earth. The pet idea did pique his interest, however, given the fact that they would definitely not mingle well with his life style, Mine dropped the idea without a second thought.

"If you have someone to care for, you might be less a rock and more a marshmallow," Takeshi added.

"If you wish to save both me and the pet, don't let us cross path," Mine elbowed the next heir of the Asashi playfully. "I heard the corp is about to sign some contract with a pharmaceutical company."

"Well, yeah, it is profitable if we open to new divisions," Takeshi shrugged his shoulder then furrowed. "That is what the upper said. Personally, I don't approve taking that company as a part of Asashi. Whispers say the comp is involved with illegal business. I fought tooth to tooth with the board today. The shit has been decided."

"Feeling better now?" He handed the other a glass of wine which was imbibed in a second.

"I don't care now. The old dudes will suffer the consequences. Plus, I have a marriage to attend tomorrow, which reminds me... PARTY THROUGH THE ROOF!"

And so, not until the evening of the next day did Mine come home. He had woken up from the wooden floor of the bar, sporting a headache, then went searching for a drunk corpse named Takeshi Asashi because the latter's wedding was only an hour away and the guy looked worse than a rag. A phone was buzzing somewhere but it would be best for the neurons if he did not pick it up. Catching a taxi, he pushed the hangover Takeshi into the back seat and joined a minute later. The dubstep music was banging a hammer to his head, hence, he requested for a change of band.

[ There has been a number of calls to report on a thief who resembles a cat-woman. What do you think about this, professor Takamori? ]

"Tch, programs these days, full of crap," He pointed at a huge mansion and turned to the driver. "Drop us there."

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

• 2 weeks later...

Ryo groaned as he felt his back sore from laying against the cold, concrete wall of the alleyway. Trying to recall the events from last night, he cursed under his breath.

"Damn, why did it have to turn out this way?"

He sighed in defeat. He knew he won't be able to reverse what happened. The young man stood up but he wobbled and almost toppled over the pile of trash to his left but he held himself still, leaning against the dirty wall. Bringing his hand up to comb through his hair, he felt the soft flesh twitch from the slight touch. A pair of cat's ears. The very thought of having such features made him sick to his stomach. How is he going to live a normal life from now on?

He stroked the length that sprouted behind him along with the ears and blood rushed down his spine from the sensation it sent him. Surely his tail is a lot more sensitive than his ears. It took him a while to be able to collect himself before straightening up and move on. He needs to go back on track and find a way to hide or his captors will find him in no time.

He had managed to snatch a hoodie from one of the resident's clothesline to be able to conceal his ears and tail as he made his way out into the light.

Looking around, Ryo guessed he had brought himself somewhere in the city-- Akihabara, by the looks of the buildings and the billboards that decorated the city scene. He's a traveler and he knew he would be able to make it through if not for the strange 'attachment' on his body.

All of a sudden, a ball thumped in front of him out of nowhere that surprised him and as if brought by his new feline-like reflex, it made him jump five feet backwards from where he stood. He heard soft gasps and exclamations of surprise from the crowd that saw his jump and he fumbled for something to say.

"What? You've never seen an agile jump from a volleyball player before?" It was a lie but it seemed it put the people's curiosity to rest and began moving on.

He arrived at what seems to be a mansion. The fenced property stood out greatly amongst the modern buildings that surrounded it. Noticing a taxicab arrive and park in front of it, he tried to conceal himself against a post.

There he saw two young men coming out of the cab, one dragging the other to soberness. As if on cue, his stomach rumbled from hunger. Damn, not now, he thought. The idea of asking the men for help occurred in his mind but he didn't want to be a bother especially when seeing them to be preoccupied by their own matters. Deciding to move on and forget the thought, he stepped out of the post and began walking but alas, he lost consciousness and fell on the ground right in front of the said mansion.

[tr]

[td]Mine gathered all the strength he had left to drag Asashi out of the taxi, didn't even bother to get the change from the driver. He couldn't care less about those penies and quarters at that moment for Akano Asashi was about to end his life. Fortunately, the helpers of the mansion had appeared in time to save both him and a groom-to-be from collapsing onto the cement road. Breathing through both ears and nose, he used the sleeve to wipe away beads of sweat that were all over his face. Finally, Takeshi was taken away by the head butler. Regained a bit of sanity, Mine immediately craved for a bath, alcoholic odor reeking from every pore of his. Like a harbinger, just when he thought nothing worse could happen, the sound of body crashing onto the ground halted his steps; he was only one foot away from the gate. Mine craned his neck to look over. A small part inside him wished he had not seen that person lying on the ground, completely blackout while the other, bigger part walked to the supine figure to carry him up.

With long, hurried steps, he rushed into the mansion, telling every maids and butlers he met to find Akano Asashi albeit unwillingly. His head throbbed whenever his foot met the floor, whenever his mouth opened to say anything. Though this boy was much lighter compared to Takeshi, to the point considered dangerously, in his current state, any weights that was over 30 kilograms could drench out his energy little by little. Not to mention there was a weird rubber stick, he wasn't sure but it felt like so, under the cotton hoodie, leaving an odd sensation to where it was pressed against, his arm. Added to it was that everytime he repositioned the arm to get a more comfortable stance the boy trembled, curled himself up even more. This by no means was close to being helpful. Whenever the boy moved, his legs seemed to give away a bit.

"What's with the ruckus?" A woman's voice, compelling yet euphoric, said. He didn't need to look to know who had just asked. People don't often forget their ex-lovers' voice that easily no matter how long it had been. Akano Asashi, of course, had put on her slender body a dress that hugged all the right curves, ready to attend the ceremony while the best man was still in his yesterday's clothes, emitting nauseous smell. "What? How are you still standing there? Oh my god! Just the last thing we need now. A dead body!"

Typical Akano, he thought.

"Is that something a doctor should say? I need your help with this boy. He collapsed in front of your mansion," Snickered, Mine strode to one of many guest rooms in the Asashi resident.

"Must have been because you are here," Despite her haughtiness, Akano obediently followed behind him. Mine didn't reply to the sardonic remark. He carefully laid down the boy and disappeared into another room, brushing pass Akano which resulted in a string of biting reprimand. Ms Asashi happened to attain too much information about Mine Watanabe.

Walking out of the steamy room, a towel in his hand, he dried his hair quickly then reached for the European-style trousers which was handed to him.

"Thank-... You need to learn some decencies," He dropped the towel over his neck and went back to the bathroom once finding Akano sitting on the bed, legs crossed like a queen and her throne.

"There is no need for such superficialities. Honestly said, are there any corners of each other than we haven't known yet?" She stood up from the edge, strolling to the bathroom door, leaning on the wall next to it.

"How is the boy?" He asked, hands buttoning up the shirt.

"Still unconscious. A lot of minor injuries over his body but nothing is too severe. The reason for his blackout must have been because of starvation," She said in a breath while Mine nodded his head as if someone could see.

"Hmm... That's great. No scandals on the wedding day. Do you know who he is?"

"Looking into it but..." Knowing her for so long, Mine could easily envision Akano nibbling her lower lip in perplexity.

"But what?" Adjusted his tie for the last time, he emerged from the bathroom, properly dressed in a tux.

She gestured him to follow her out of the room. "You won't believe me if you don't confirm it with your own eyes."

Mine only nodded, a simple action but indicated an austere mannerism, one of many traits that his employers admired and searched for. Mine got to work quickly.

Behind the door, revealed in front of his eyes was a person curling up in a fetal position underneath the thin layer of blanket. The boy was obviously cleansed and treated with great care. Just as expected from a diligent doctor. Inspecting him one more time, Mine found nothing out of the ordinary except for the sleeping pose. However, not everybody enjoyed sleeping in a log posture. Akano still silently waited for the anticipated discovery of Mine. She leaned on the wall behind her, checking the watch every once in a while. It must be something either incredulous or severe for Akano wouldn't part her lips. Mine had been about to give up on the task until he saw the strange fold next to the boy's legs. So, he lifted the blanket up.

"It's a real deal," Akano finally moved closer to him, confirming the unbelievable thoughts popping in his mind. "Check his head and you will find the ears."

"This is just surreal..." He blinked and stared at the black tail again. "Maybe it's a cosplay accessory."

Akano gave him the serious look. All doubts evaporated, exposed a bare truth. Mine rubbed his face as if he was to solve a dilemma.

"You know my father hates having strangers in the mansion and hates the cats even more, right?" Akano quietly said.

"You are telling me to bring this creature to my apartment, aren't you?" He sighed in defeat.

"Unless you are inhuman enough to throw him out or hand him to a medical research team," Saying like that, smiling in defiance like that, the elder daughter of the Asashi knew she had gotten what she wanted. Akano must have taken an interest in the cat-person. Doctor's thing...

"Have the decency to put some clothes on him then cart him to my place. Anything broken, they will be on your bill," Leaving the blanket down, Mine strode out of the room. There were only five minutes left. Akano after instructing the head bulter on how to deal with the boy smoothly appeared next to him on the passenger seat of his car.

"Don't worry. The ceremony won't be carried out until 9. Takeshi is never punctual, no matter how important the occasion is. So we lied to him about the time an hour earlier just in case," She said in a flat tone which caused Mine to hit on the brake and turned to her.

"You should've told me."

"I did last week but you were too engrossed in boring paperwork," she huffed then continued. "By the way, I sent two helpers to your house with the cat. Nothing is going to be broken."

Drinking in two aspirins when they arrived a red light, Mine wanted to groan. The crisis had been doubled: the wedding and the boy.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[table=width: 600, align: center]

[tr]

[td]Project HalGen was a soaring success. It has brought Professor Urihara his long desired reputation and honor that had put him into the pedestal where he is now. Pride and glory filled the scientist's senses as he took it all in upon receiving the recognition he had always dreamed of.

It was only a month when the first three operations became known to the public and became a huge success. A groundbreaking event for science and the study of alteration of human DNA or as what most pepole commonly call it: Mutation.

All three specimens were male; all in their early to mid twenties. God knows where the infamous scientist got them. Rumors say they came from a human trafficking organization but Professor Urihara's side insists that the three of them all volunteered for the sake of the improvement of science.

The Professor and his team of researchers were still relishing their success with numerous press conferences and media interviews until one night, one of the mutated human fled and escaped the facility. Their prime subject of Operation HalGen, gone and is nowhere to be found.

---

Ryo thought this will be his end. As his eyelids close, the last image he saw was the man's back slightly turning his head to look at him. He had a very short glimpse of his face but Ryo knew his heart skipped a beat upon laying his eyes on that handsome face of a man.

After that, darkness engulfed his senses.

He thought he was hallucinating when he felt warm arms wrap around and carry him up. He wanted to squirm away from the foreign touch but the cat-person could only manage to shift slightly from the person's arms. It made him uncomfortable, especially whenever his sensitive of an appendage brushed against the arm. He could hear faint voices; a man and a woman conversing. He wanted to run off again when he heard the word 'doctor' but his body refuses to move. Finally giving up, Ryo let himself immerse into the darkness and accept his ill-fate. Deep in his thoughts, nothing would bring things back to normal. His life had taken a massive turn of events and now, he had finally decided to give up. Surrendering to everything as he is too exhausted. To run, to hide, to fight. Enough is enough.

---

"White ceiling... Soft bed... This is not something the facility would have. Where the heck am I? Wait.. I'm still alive? Impossible."

Ryo's eyes fluttered open as the first few images rushed to his senses. He's sure he wasn't brought back to the research facility for the lab only consists of cold metal cells and hard mattresses on the metal bed. This place... looks rather homey. He turned his head around as he took it all in. The walls are immaculate white and the furnishings seems to be all modern. The bed is pristine as well, although he could sense someone's scent coming from the pillows. It must be the owner's scent, he thought.

The cat-person is alone in the room however he could hear two people talking quietly behind the closed door. He shifted from the bed and rubbed his stomach. It must be around six in the evening, he thought. He darted his eyes around and saw a clock. Close. It's already 8:30 pm. His stomach rumbled as he looked around, hoping he'd see something edible. Anything edible, he thought. This is no time for him to be choosy and there, on the side table, lay a plate of food. Ryo thought the heavens is starting to favor him now as he loomed over the heavenly-smelling meal before him.

"I mustn't. This could be poisoned. Just another one of Professor Urihara's dirty tactics." he frowned but the food looked scrumptious as it begs to be eaten. No. He wouldn't fall for yet another trap. Instead of eating the plated meal, he grabbed an apple that was laying on top of the fruit basket beside it. This one couldn't be poisoned.

Looking around the confinement of the room as he attacked the apple, Ryo thought the place doesn't scream 'prison' to him. In fact, he remembered how he fell unconscious on the side of the road as someone carried him up from the ground after. Ryo sighed. He felt unbelievably safe even though he has no idea where he is. Finishing the apple, he threw the core on the trash bin before going back to bed. He could only notice how clean he is when he passed by a door opening that lead him in a lavatory with a huge mirror against the wall. Breathing heavily, Ryo took small steps until he managed to push the door open, now fully seeing his reflection.

His black ears towered the top of his head, twitching in anticipation. He then turned sideways to see his tail sway side to side. Sighing, he turned away from the mirror.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to this..." he mumbled.

Crawling back to bed, the scent greeted him once more. The scent that made him feel safe and secure. Whoever owns this scent could as well become his owner... His savior from this wretched world. [/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

• 3 weeks later...

[tr]

[td]Mr Watanabe had once taught his son three most important goals a man must achieve in his life: a beautiful wife, a good house and a successful career. He had obtained two out of three things at the age of 28. And he took a great pride on them, his achievements.

After ten years of hardship and endeavors, Mine moved out of his relative's house and bought an apartment in Yoyogi sandwiched between the great two: Shinjuku and Shibuya. This was considered a convenience for Mine, the location close to his work and random entertainments. Because it was his first place which he afforded in his own money, Mine had poured heart and soul to take care of it. Which was why the 1LDK apartment he bought was no average while all decoration, design, furniture, facilities were meticulously scrutinized and purchased. Matching with his personality, the color chart of the furnished room was restricted in 10 different colors, all cold, such as gray, black, white, navy blue, dark blue, etc. All housewares were in monochromatic and arranged harmoniously. The living was furnished simply with basic items: a light grey couch, a coffee table, four night stands and a 60-inch flat screen. However, on the stark contrast, his kitchen hardly had anything beside a huge, often empty fridge and some essential culinary. The only room which had a touch of homely sensation was his bedroom, an exception of warm colors. A few photographs of his family adorned the wall unlike those abstract that embellished the hall way and other rooms.

The two young helpers had engaged in an exciting dicussion over the owner of this apartment they were in. The girls both fawned over the outstanding exteriors and interiors of the place, also a little bit over the man perhaps. The discussion slowly dwelled on the man's personal life as they both shared much curiosity towards him.

"I heard he was lady Akano's boyfriend," One of them said.

"I thought they are still an item considering how close he is to Mr Takeshi," The other queried.

"How is that even relevant?!"

"What is?" Mine entered the room without a forewarning, surprising the two helpers.

"Nothing, sir. We were just chatting over trivial things," The girl who knew better quickly covered up for her idiotic friend. The latter was this close to ask a rude question.

"Sir?" Mine chuckled softly, an evidence of imbibing alcohol though he did not take enough that would make him lose his composure. "You don't have to be so formal around me," He steadily regained his wits and started talking about the boy. "How is he?"

"He?" The less sensitive girl frowned her brows while her friend fluently answered.

"We put him in your bedroom. I deeply apologise if this is an inconvenience. He is still sleeping but he should be waking up anytime now," She smiled charmingly. That was the thing about the Asashi family. All helpers of the house were beautiful, good looking people.

"No, it's fine. It was my idea bringing him here," He shook his wrist then pulled up the sleeve. "It's almost 9pm. You should go home. Let me get you a taxi," Before the two girls could refuse, he picked up the mobile phone and dialed the reception to prepare a ride home for them. "Don't worry about the situation. If I can deal with Takeshi, I can deal with anybody," He said when the sharp girl was about to raise her concern. Receiving a smile from Mine, she took a hold of her friend's hand and drag the girl out of his apartment, didn't forget to bow a goodbye.

"Finally..." Mine breathed out then undid a few buttons on his suit. His feet moved to the bedroom with the vest hanged over his arm. He folded up the sleeves until they reached his elbows. Eyes glancing at the small figure snuggling on his bed, Mine absentmindedly sighed. What would happen once that boy woke up?

Walked out of the bathroom for the second time in the day, with a towel draped over his neck, Mine hanged up the suits on the handel of the closet. Of course, he did not miss the little movement from the bed but he turned a blind eye to it. It was figured he should bring his work into his room for safety caution. What if the boy woke up and started wrecking things while the heedless him was sitting right behind the door, working? So he merged in again, one hand gripping a laptop and files, one hand holding a stack of mails.

Mine threw aside the commercial catalogues, leaving two envelops in his hand. One of them was enclosed with the tickets he had sent to his parents. It was late. He would call them the next day and talked about this. It had already been the third time. What was wrong in the desire to help his parents travel around the world?

Setting this aside, Mine opened a few cases of papers and skimmed through the collected information upon products of Asashi. His finger stopped at the name HalGen. That was the new lab that got under their wings. Apparently they appeared as the profession's green group of scientists that wanted to change the world with their research. The old man Orobo, Asashi's largest shareholder, was the one behind this sudden integration though it seemed just in time for the press. Because the group was about to announce their grand achievement in genetics.

This file containing the information of HalGen must be from Takeshi. Despite his nonchalance, he was truly worried. Last year, Orobo had once taken one whole front page with the giant title: CAPTURED THE LEADER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST HUMANS TRAFFICKING GROUP. However, by the work of miracles, he escaped all the charges as the world's most innocent person. It must be how a corrupted and pervert old geezer could climb that high, be that rich.

Mine leaned on the side of the bed, adjusting his glasses as he read the recent report on the number of consumers. That boy had woken up. He knew. But it would be best if he waited until the boy decided to show any signs, other than that apple, of course.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr]

[td]Ryo was in fact still awake. Since he woke up from his long sleep from morning until this early evening, he had never been felt refreshed. He was cleaned, changed into some fresh, new clothes and he was laying on such a bed he had never laid on before. He was there, laying on the bed as he listened to the two women's conversaion that was actually about the man who apparently 'saved' his life. The raven-haired male was surprisingly enjoying himself listening to their topic as he was able to hear more about this man, he couldn't help but give a small giggle when the girls teased each other with it. The person must be from a high stature, he assumed just by looking at his place-- his bedroom. Anyone would be envious about this man who had achieved so much in such an age. With that thought in mind, Tsuzuki sighed deeply and nuzzled his face against the sheets. For a whole minute, Ryo was lost in his own little world as he looked back to his past. What had actually happened that brought him in such circumstances as this?

Two years ago, back in his place in Fukushima, he last bid his goodbye to his aunt to finally start living on his own. After that, he began travelling a lot. With a single backpack and enough pocket money he had earned from his previous jobs, he was a bird who was finally set free. He was just an ordinary young man, wanting to look for adventure on his own as he tread his own country but his dream of a 'perfect life' became a nightmare in one night that changed his fate. The inn he had checked in to was actually a certain 'trap' for people who gets traded in for money. What bad luck. After that, all he could remember was he was confined in a research facility. He could say it was more like a factory than a hospital: cold metal walls, cool white lights all over that would leave no blind spot and researchers that always wore white lab coats, face masks and gloves. Ryo felt shivers down his spine as he tried to stop thinking what happened next. He could still feel the pain of hundreds of syringes being stabbed around his body and the flowing of each and every drug he's been injected with. How many times he had wished to die? How many tears had he shed from all those pain? Looking at his wrists, he could still see the scars and cuts that was brought from his struggling from the cuffs he had been in... For a year or more. He finally dismissed the thought and wiped his tears that came flowing out from his eyes that wet the sheets beneath him.

He thought he would have a heart attack when a foreign voice, a male's, suddenly joined the females'. Immediately, he feigned sleep. He had went back to his fetal position from before as he slightly covered his face with his hands. The man is finally home. God, he could smell the slightest alcohol even from this distance as soon as the owner entered the room. But it could never conceal the other's own natural scent as he knew it from the sheets right beneath his nose. Ryo's eyes slowly opened as he curiously and intently watched the male roam around the place. Right. This is his bedroom after all. He wished he could see the man's face up close though but the slight fear still won't go away so he lay there as still as a rock. He watched the male disappear from the bathroom's door and finally got the chance to shift slightly from his position.

'He's so tall...' he thought to himself.

He didn't know who this person is nor what his intentions are when he took him to this place. Ryo still couldn't take the doubts and fear off him. God, the man could make millions out of him if he sells this 'freak' online and people will be scramming off their feet to him.

As soon as he heard the doorknob click open, he immediately went back to laying still but his ears won't stop twitching so the male would probably know he's awake. The scent of alcohol had gone and it was replaced with a heavenly scent of light musk and soap that sent him blushing from it. Ryo had always been an olfactophilliac and it only heightened to its extreme after his genes were altered but he would never admit it to anyone as he finds it embarrassing. When the man finally settled himself with his laptop and some papers on the side of the bed, Ryo eased his breathing and made some slight movements across the bed. This is pointless-- feigning sleep. The man would have known him being awake anyway. He slowly sat up, ears towering his head as it slightly twitches in anticipation. All his eyes could focus on was the male's nape-- slender and white in contrast against his black hair.

"E-excuse me."

Ryo began to talk but his voice almost cracked from his throat being so dry all day. He had just embarrassed himself in such a way so he cleared his throat before going back to his composure. He's now fully sitting on the bed, indian-style as his hands clutched on the pyjama pants he's wearing. He had to at least know who the person who took him in, fed and cleaned him before suspecting anything. His eyes was wide, eagerly wanting to finally come face to face with his savior. [/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

• 2 weeks later...

[tr]

[td]For a short second, Mine had completely forgotten there was a person in his bed. The new product was not having the expected sale which clearly smeared on his reputation. The others said, the difference between the actual number and the planned one was hardly counted. Nevertheless, Mine did not feel satisfied which was why he fell in an icy silence after seeing the old report got mingled up with the new ones. His mind took a quick moment to register his surroundings and to choose the best explanation.

"You collapsed at the gates so I brought you here. How are you feeling?"

Not until then had Mine actually taken a good glimpse at the face of this unknown boy. Small eyes with a sharp end resembled a Chinese man's. A pointed nose made the boy look almost like a Kenny doll if it wasn't for that chin. He had a perfect v-line face which every girl would envy. The ladies paid fortune for that kind of faces these days. A pair of thin lips wouldn't be a plus for him but again, women had strange minds. Somehow, all these features were arranged nicely on that pretty face. Looking from the side, Mine could hardly figure whether this was a man or a woman. His sense must have been nullified by paperwork and newlyweds.

The boy blinked his eyes a few times, shifting his gaze from Mine to the sheet. His lips were agape. Those had unintentionally brought couples of idiotic thoughts to Mine's head, such as "Is he really from out of space?" or "What if he doesn't understand human's language?"

“I see,” the boy finally said which resulted in an inner sigh of relief from Mine. “Thanks for saving me. I’m feeling a lot better… A lot better,” He continued. “My name is Tsuzuki, Ryo.”

A nice face and a nice voice were two nouns that first came to Mine’s mind after hearing the answer. How unprofessional, he reprimanded himself. “I’m Watanabe Mine. Do you remember anything before you lost consciousness?”

His eyes were following the shifting tail silently. Even now, he hadn’t been completely convinced that the extra-parts of this boy were real flesh and bone. Could Ryo sense it if someone touched it or they were all just connected to him with no links to the neurons? Akano’s ways of thinking had affected him too much. It would always be her who brought forth such questions just so she could later answer it herself. Dark eyes travelled from the laptop’s screen and landed their gaze on the person in his bed. Accepting to take care of Ryo was an act of impulse. What on Earth had he thought while he was there? He wasn’t some fictional guys in mangas or novels. If his doubts were proven true, there must be people out hunting this boy down. Now that the boy was staying with him, that meant he would be involved in whatever schemes as well. The methods to threaten a person were various. There might be blood on the way. Mine couldn’t say a heroic quote such as ‘I will protect everyone. I will.’ Because this was life and he was just Mine. Closing his eyes, this matter, he would discuss over it with Akano tomorrow. If it had no other choice, it would be best to leave the boy in the police’s hands which Akano would make a fuss over, also… He looked at Ryo again. He hated the fact he pitied the person in front of him, the fact he was planning ways to get rid of a human in help. Alright, stop sprouting nonsense in your head. Ryo hadn’t answered this query. Mine couldn’t decipher the exact feeling Ryo had on his mien because from his seat, all came into his sight were the fringes, that pointy nose and those pursing lips. It must have been unpleasant, whatever those memories were before Ryo collapsed.

He remembers but he won’t speak, the left side of his brain raised its voice after that heated debate with his right. Mine put the thoughts into his concern then fixed a steady look on Ryo. There was no time for planning without actually knowing the pieces on this chessboard. He shouldn’t have had that mini chaos a while ago. Imbibing too much alcohol had mulled his logical thinking. Mine had never dazed over a failed work or anything he had decided. Today was a first.

“Well… I was…” Ryo finally uttered. There was a short pause though it seemed like an hour to Mine. He was about to tell the other to stop if he didn’t feel like sharing when Ryo continued. “No…” The boy lied. A flash of disappointment went pass him. “I didn’t remember that much. I was really hungry and I fainted.”

Ryo lied which meant Mine had to contact a friend to get the background of this boy. He just hated asking people’s favors. He pinned a note in the back of his mind to meet up with Tomoe. Urgent first, important later.

“Do you want me to make you something not sandwiches to eat?” Stood up from the floor, he lifted up the tray of food. Actually he should have said buy something not sandwich for Ryo to eat since the best dish Mine could make was instant noodle with egg. He could make a few simple dishes as well but it would be troublesome. He was tired. The need to sleep away the hangover were nagging him, tugging his sleeve. Thanked to it, he realized he had to spend the night on the couch. He’d rather sleep on the ground.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr]

[td]

Ryo didn't like lying even to a total stranger. White lies are the same thing. But after what happened to him and all those unfortunate circumstances, he finally learned how to hide what is necessary and vital. Seeing the man's eyes flicker with disappointment, he looked away feeling guilty all of a sudden. But he really couldn't trust anyone yet. There are two things that's been bothering him after all-- it's either this man saved his life with all good and innocent intentions or the nice front and tender treatment was just a decoy to lure him back to HalGen.

“Do you want me to make you something not sandwiches to eat?”

Ryo all but perked up together with his ears and tail upon mentioning of the food which was about to be taken away. All he ate was a piece of apple since he was still hesitant about the food but thinking of it getting thrown away is such a waste. Reaching his hands up-- almost looking like a baby wanting to be lifted up-- he waved his hands in protest.

"I'll eat it. Please don't throw it away."

He bit his lower lip as he beamed up at the man taking a long, good look. God, he's handsome, he thought. The way his damp hair fall in front of that beautiful face in disarray easily caught Ryo off guard. Each time Mine walked, Ryo could smell the other's aftershave scent that stirs up around the air. He sure it's lucky to be rescued by some handsome, good-smelling fellow.

What a freak I am... he thought, finally averting his eyes from the male.

When Mine handed him the tray, he bowed his head slightly from gratitude before turning his body as he sat on the edge of the bed. He quietly ate the sandwiches with his delicate fingers. The food was good-- chicken sandwich, even though the bread had absorbed most of the mayonnaise. He haven't had real food in quite a long time. The delight that filled Ryo's senses were reflected to his tail's movement-- flickering and swaying lively from side to side. He knew Mine is looking at him intently, like his gaze could bore a hole through him. It only makes Ryo blush from self-consciousness. He wondered if the man would ask more questions but he assumed he won't since Mine looked exhausted.

"Watanabe-san..." Oh, how Ryo liked the sound of the man's name roll against his tongue. "I'll take the couch. You seem beat from today so sleep here on your bed." He said as soon as he was done eating. He put the tray on the table where it was originally placed and wiped his hands clean with the napkin. He took the pillow he used earlier and switched it with a newer one from the bunch. After patting and smoothing the bed, he stood up next to the night table with his hands behind him, hoping the man would be at the very least pleased from it.

"Watanabe-san... I... I can cook and do household chores. I'm pretty good at gardening a-and I can do your laundry too. Just..." He took a sharp breath before looking straight at Mine's eyes with sad, desperate ones. "Just please, let me stay here."

Well that was embarrassing, Ryo thought.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr]

[td]The tail shifted rather often once Ryo was fully awake and active. His fingertips were itching for an experimental tug to see how the boy would react. Would he jump back and hiss? Would he yell out in pain? The thoughts wandered around his dizzy mind, left no space for coherence. His eyes bore to the figure on his bed. Ryo was munching on the sandwich slowly, each time biting only bits and pieces. He resembled a cat to many extenses which were more than simply eyesome guise. Mine's fingers massaged his right temple deliberately then returned to tapping on the little squares of his laptop's keyboard. When he was half-done with work, a small clack of metal meeting glass shot into his head like a bullet.

"Watanabe-san..." Instinctively, his head swipt to the source of the call. "I'll take the couch. You seem beat from today so sleep here on your bed."

The end of his eyebrow twitched slightly. Ryo was one of those people who were overly kind to an incredulous extent of stupidity. Mine hated dealing with that type the most. They acted like heroes and sacrificed themselves without a singke concern for the ones they left behind, under their wings of protection.

"It's my apartment. You are the guest. You sleep in the bed. I'm fine with the couch," he said coolly and picked up the cold tray. Mine emerged from his room to clean the dishes and the tray. Quickly enough, the clean utensils joined the once empty draining board, drops of water dilating before meeting the hard surface of the sink. Wiping his hand with the small towel hanged next to the tap, Mine breathed out heavily. Where did he keep the extra blankets? Did he even have an extra blanket? He never thought there would be a day when a random guest actually resided in his bed for more than just one night. Apparently, Ryo had no places to return to. If he did, he'd have told Mine.

When he reentered the bedroom, his foot inadvertently took one step back. Ryo was standing and looking at him expectantly albeit anxiously. His eyes unconsciously glanced at the swinging tail once more before the sight of a perfectly tidied bed went into his vision. Somehow this just antically corresponded to a dog wanting to be praised with a touch of irony that Ryo was actually a cat. He dipped his head to hide the chuckles on his lips. It was adorable, the thought of a cat proudly waiting to be patted on the head and told: 'good boy'. The compliment was on the tip of his tongue but Ryo interrupted him with words that would soon take him aback.

"Watanabe-san... I..." Ryo started, seemingly in a pinch for what to continue. He didn't fidget much but Mine still saw through it and decided to remain silent. "I can cook and do household chores. I'm pretty good at..." As Ryo carried on his nervous speech, Mine's pupils shrunk to two little dots, eyebrows arching up. This boy was desperately listing various reasons proving his great value to him. Words were tumbling on his tongue. His tail swayed side to side in quick movements. Mine hitched a breath when his solemn eyes met a pair of forlorn ones. "Just please let me stay here."

Judging from what had transpired, starvation and vagrancy gave him enough justification to presume Ryo was a despaired runaway. Mine was by all means a person who would extend the olive branch but only to a certain degree. As bitterly as he might admit, if this boy's origin was catastrophic, Mine would have to give up on him. After all, Mine wasn't his brother, wasn't "one of those people" and wasn't a person who could put his beloveds at risk.

Mine looked at Ryo. A twinge of guilt had moved his hand to pat on the boy's head though it was more like petting a cat's head. "You can stay," for the time being, he thought. "I have helpers to do most of the chores during daytimes. Just try to hide your ears and tail when they come. If they ask anything, tell them you are my brother. Understand?"

Mine spoke leisurely, gently like he was reminding a child to behave well. A ephemeral faint smile was on his lips then dispersed as if it had never lingered there. While his hand retreated to its authentic post, an odd thought occurred to him, he hoped this boy could stay, he hoped he could help this boy.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr]

[td]

. "You can stay. I have helpers to do most of the chores during daytimes. Just try to hide your ears and tail when they come. If they ask anything, tell them you are my brother. Understand?"

Hopeful eyes looked up at Mine. Ryo felt his heavy heart lightened when the man said he could stay. Mine is so kind. He knew the man is hesitant in letting a total stranger with weird features and with a shady background stay in his house but he still did and Ryo has never been happier. He felt bad for lying to Mine though. A man this kind deserves to know the truth. Maybe he will, but not now. He shut his eyes tight when Mine patted his head, both his ears twitched back upon contact and it remained like that until the man took his hand off. He secretly wished Mine had petted him longer, though it would have been embarrassing because he would have let out a purr if he did.

"Thank you so much... Watanabe-san... You're so kind to me."

Ryo knew he didn't deserve such kindness but Mine is willing to take a risk in helping a stranger and it's far more compassionate than anything in this world. Slowly reaching for the man's hands, Ryo clasped them together with his own as gently as possible. Even his hands were soft and delicate. His head was low, letting his black hair hide his face but one can see his ears flushed on a shade of red.

"I know you want to know more about me... About what I am and why I am what I am now... Watanabe-san is so kind and I'm very sorry I lied to you..."

He bit his lips and raised is face to meet Mine's. His heart was racing as it was reflected through the swaying of his tail.

"Until I am ready to share my story, you will know the truth. For now, I promise I will be a good younger brother to you" he flashed a shy smile before adding the word, however embarrassing it may sound at the moment, "Mine-nii-san."

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

• 4 months later...

[tr]

[td] Apparently, his body had developed a bio-alarm. Last night, for Ryo's sake, Mine turned off the alarm on the night stand and didn't bother to set one in his Blackberry as well. Still, he naturally woke up at 6 am sharp, feeling refreshed. He considered stop using the annoying ding ding sound from then on. Mine quietly tiptoed inside his bedroom to grab a wind-breaker and a pair of sport trousers, not forgetting to check his bed. Ryo was sleeping rather peacefully which was good. After his hygienic routine, Mine tucked in his trainers and left the house with an USB dialer in his right ear.

"Oi, Tomoe, wake up," he said as soon as the other side picked up.

"No need for you to hush. I'm wide awake," Tomoe's high pitched voice replied. This guy was an exceptional case of not-so-low otave since he was able to be the earliest husband in the group. With that mentioned, his wife wasn't half bad at all. She had had a crush on Mine during their high school days while Tomoe had self-claimed to be her ulimate guidance. It had ended up Tomoe fell head over heals for Keiko. With the last push from Mine, Keiko had agreed to give it a try, dating Tomoe, which had led to their marriage two years ago.

"Your wife threw you out of the house?"

"Bollocks! She is a very understanding wife," the person on the other side grumbled. "There was a case of missing. Nothing special."

"Who would look for a homicide inspector to search for a missing person?" Mine was running through the small park near his apartment. Early morning's temperature was low but he barely felt anything, beads of sweat dripping on his forehead.

"Some powerful rich old geezer. I'm the best person in the tracking and chasing department after all," Mine heard a little snicker of arrogance. To which, he replied.

"Conceited as usual. This case is just a minor one for pocket money, isn't it?"

To his surprise, there was a long silence before Tomoe cleared his throat, a sign of the appearance of a professional inspector. "Yes, it is and no, it's more than that."

Mine's legs shortened the length of his stride, holding back the speed. He brought up his hand and wiped away the salty droplets.

"All extras do not exist," was the small whisper to his ear. His pupils shrank then steadily dilated as he restrainted the unreasonable assumption.

"What are the extras?" He asked, faking a dazed, unconscious voice in order to pick up a few more pieces of information.

"That's the question, mate," Tomoe chuckled. Mine easily imagined him lowering his head with that knowing smirk. "So, what's bothering you first thing in the morning?"

There would be a soft hit at his elbow if they weren't talking through the phone. "You still owe me a favor."

"Indeed, for you have matchmaked me and Keiko, I am forever truly grateful," The other said in a teasing manner. "Is it about the boy you took in yesterday?"

"How-..."

"Information goes fast," Mine held in a sigh when he heard the familiar phrase. His group of friends contained of over-25 people yet they would still gossip like high schoolers or the old retired ladies. "The smart choice is throwing him out of your place now because no right mind keeps a stranger in their houses. Especially, ones with unclear origins."

"I'll know his origin soon. Thanks for your help, Tomoe," the gratitude was expressed in a suggestive manner which the other quickly grasped. Mine heard something similar to a deep sigh from the other side and smirked. "I'm glad you're glad you can help."

"Trying to be ironic, huh? Send me a picture of him and his name."

"Got it," Mine was running again. He considered buying sandwiches for him and Ryo on the way back because, to be honest, his refrigerator was this close to being empty and he didn’t have much faith on his pathetic excuse of cooking skill (his best dish is an omelette, not the fancy kind but the only-a-beaten-egg kind).

He bit down his lips when the door made the beeping sound as he was opening it. He gently stepped a foot in first then the other followed. His hand carefully set down the bag of some groceries he had randomly picked from the nearby market and some fresh-just-out-of-the-oven breads. They smelled amazingly good. Mine sat on the floor, slowly taking off his trainers. He reached for the small cloth to wipe out the dark smudges around the edges of his trainers. After neatly placing them on the shelf, he quietly walked to the kitchen and threw the bag of groceries inside, not bothering to sort them out. He pushed the door to his bedroom slightly to hear if there was any reaction before going in. The boy seemed to be asleep. With that belief, Mine took a bath, making sure he didn’t create any noises in the process. Which was why his heart missed a beat when he opened the door, encountering his newly adopted little brother who was half-awake (probably) and sitting in such a pose that stole a bit of sense from his clear mind. Mine had to rub the crease of self-disappointment between his eyebrows to gain back himself.

“Good morning,” He said.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

• 2 weeks later...

[tr]

[td]

As he lie down trying to get some sleep, Ryo's mind wandered, thinking how luck came to his side when Mine picked him up and brought him in. The man certainly have all the chance to throw him away, or report him to the authorities especially for having such weird features, but instead he even fed him and gave something clean to sleep on. Ryo felt guilty for taking the man's bed, though at the same time, he felt an immense joy deep inside him that he could at least enjoy lying down on a bed full of Mine's scent. Blushing heavily from the impure thoughts, he tossed and turned making sure he didn't mess the other side of the massive bed as he curled only on the upper-right corner of it.

"I can't take his bed for long... I can't take his kindness for granted..." Ryo thought, "And I'm sure.... I'm sure he wanted to know more about what kind of a freak I am. And this..."

He bit his lower lip before reaching to hold onto his tail, his weird of an appendage that comes with a pair of ears. It's still as sensitive as ever. Who knew touching and caressing this new attachment would feel exactly like how people caress their sensitive areas. An arousing, yet dangerously exposed trigger for curiosity.

The tail, which is a firm muscle was implanted just below his spine, complete with overly sensitive nerves and soft black fur. Ryo have come to the conclusion that he only gets aroused when he touches the flesh that connects his back and the tail.

"Nghff... So that is off-limits, I see." He said to himself, feeling deeply embarrassed for exploring his new body in someone else's house. His ears when touched however don't bring any arousing sensation upon contact so it's a safe zone. He would be in deep trouble when Mine decides to touch them one day. No one had ever laid their hands on him right after the operation so he wouldn't know the feeling of foreign touch against them.

Then suddenly, Ryo had a sudden realization. What if Mine was just another decoy, another man who was being hired to get him back in that institution? On his way from fleeting from the place, he had encountered many of them who blended in the society. Businessmen, students, even housewives. They've gone undercover just to retrieve the specimen who had ran off. The specimen that would cost them a million's worth of fortune. The sole perfection of the DNA alteration for the line of HalGen pets. Just by looking at his arms that were lined with syringe punctures, bruises that had somehow faded, Ryo felt disgusted. The only thing that would make him forget the nightmares from that place is by sleep. Numbing himself just to forget everything even just for another night.

It is of the same night when more of Dr. Urihara's men was sent out to find Ryo. The HalGen laboratories was in full shutdown ever since the cat-boy fled. This leaves the project's CFO, Mr. Orobo, very upset. The fat, old geezer who had been involved with human trafficking is now bursting with anger and had punched one of the security member from his frustrated state.

"I'm sure he hasn't gone far, Mr. Orobo. The boy could barely run from his state and the drugs we put him in are still working for sure. My men will find him."

"You mean your incompetent men!? I already hired someone I know for this search. Make sure you find him first... If not, I'm not sure if I can return that pet to you in good condition. Remember who's funding you here, Urihara. If you don't get him back, your dream of changing the world will be all for nought."

- - -

Ryo isn't the type of a morning person. He's also a light sleeper so the first time Mine walked inside the bedroom, he woke up in an instant. He couldn't really sleep well in the situation he's in but his heart is at the very least at peace in staying here. It looks like Mine is going out early in the morning. A jog perhaps? He used to do that, too when he was younger. He was a very active young man, exploring places, hiking and everything that triggers his adrenaline. He loved the rush it brings him. He felt alive. But that was long gone and forgotten. Now he lives in fear and restrictions.

He kept lying in bed until the man came back. Even his sweat-covered body smells heavenly for Ryo. The sound of water from the shower made him sit up and look at the bathroom door. This is yet another moment he'll witness Mine come out of the shower fresh and clean and he'll have to deal with the other's amazing aftershave which is really embarrassing. He'll be damned, for sure.

Turning his head to look at the man, it took a lot of effort not to trail his eyes all over Mine's body and have further indecent thoughts for the man.

"Good morning, Mine-nii.. Ah. Watanabe-san." He corrected himself. He's probably only allowed to call the man that way when there's other people around. He didn't want Mine to think he's getting ahead of himself now. He stood up as he greeted the male, trying to fix his fluffy hair-- and ears.

"I slept fine, thanks to your hospitality. Uhm... Do you need help with anything around here? Want me to cook breakfast? Or maybe you've gone and ate out...." He had to bite his lips from talking and revealing how much of a spaz he is as it shows in the swaying of his tail as well.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

• 8 months later...

[tr]

[td] The end of his eyebrow twitched slightly at the sound “Mine-nii”. He did not find that flutter inside him or the annoyance, hence he ignored it and simply listened to Ryo’s stutter. The tail kept swinging from side to side continuously as Ryo, apparently and bluntly speaking, tried to convince Mine of how useful he was. Brushing his hand through the undercut behind his head, Mine bit his lower lip to hold in a sigh.

“I bought a few things in the kitchen. You can check it out,” said Mine who turned his back to Ryo to search for a t-shirt in his wardrobe just before the doorbell rang a clear ‘ting’ sound. Simultaneously, his mobile phone started buzzing on the counter, a familiar photo of a beautiful doctor appearing on the screen. It did not take a genius to know who was outside that door. How troublesome, he mumbled. “Coming,” he called over his shoulder as he pulled the shirt down.

“Is he awake?” was the first sentence Akane said to him.

“What happened to your etiquette?” Mine gave her a half-hearted scowl and let out that sigh he had been holding. Akane was too eager to observe how those extra parts on Ryo’s body. At a partcular point, she might actually pack her bags and move in with Mine just to get more time with Ryo. Poor boy had become her specimen. If so, Mine had nothing to do with it. He learnt to stay far from Akane’s crazy side.

She leaned on the counter, looking over at Ryo who was sorting out the groceries. There was that spark in her eyes that had Mine head over heels about her when they first met at that one-time party organized by Takeshi. Back then Akane was a woman who were, still are, fully aware of her beauty, her value. 75% of the people on the invited list were those born with a sliver spoon in their mouth. Of course, Mine was in the other 25%. He found her standing in a group of five. She was holding a merely half full glass of white wine against her face. For some inexplicable reasons, compared to everyone in that room, she had a completely different aura around her. It drew people to surround her while keeping them at bay. Her witty smile quietly showed off her snicker at the idiots trying to approach her for that one-night stand.

“Aren’t you supposed to be at the hospital, saving lives?” Mine raised his eyebrow gesturing at Akane.

“It’s the weekend. Give me a break,” Eyes still on Ryo who started cooking so silently despite his chitchatting a while ago, she replied.

“As far as I know, hospitals are open 24/7,” Mine shrugged as he stood next to her and picked out two glasses.

“Water?” He asked even when clearly knew the answer.

“Coffee, black, 2 sugar cubes.”

Meanwhile, Tomoe’s yawning travelled all the way in the station. His partner had to buy him two cups of coffee which did not help much. Sipping on the second cup, Tomoe flipped through the file named Ryo Tsuzuki and found himself wide awake. As he flipped through the pages, not much information was included in this file, nothing but a picture and a name. A report on the day the boy went missing was attached; however, all details were general. They did not provide him any particular location to start digging. No wonder why the price for this young man was unbelievably high. Within his mandate, Tomoe gathered all the basics about Ryo: family background, university, and even a death certificate. Apparently, the authority wanted him to track down a corpse which happened to be walking around and living with his best friend under the same roof.

“What the fuck have you gotten into yourself, Mine…” His index finger was tapping on the side of his phone as he paced back and forth trying to reach Mine via the phone. “Pick up, God damn it!”

“You’re fast,” Mine’s voice had a hint of laughter for only a millisecond before Tomoe gritted through his teeth.

“Get rid of that boy.”

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr][td]

A tall man wearing a lab coat stepped inside Dr. Urihara's office. He was clutching a clipboard under his right arm while the other, holding a leash. That black leather leash trailed to a collar latched against another male's neck which followed the latter inside the said office. The young man with the collar however seems to be pretty normal and healthy to be even kept in the laboratory, although patches of bandages covered most of his forearms and neck. The male stood at a very notable height of 6'1 with a well-toned body-- broad shoulders with strong arms and legs. He isn't necessarily bulky but the man had took good care of his physique. He has a slightly tanned skin, short-cut pitch black hair contrasting-- no, highlighting his intense golden eyes. His nose and lips perfectly aligned on that finely chiseled face. He has that blank expression but one can notice the bitter scowl deep within that handsome face.

"Yamada, Satoru." The man in the lab coat started, flipping the clipboard on his hand. "Age: 28, Blood Type: A+, Superb athletic abilities, intellectually excellent. All these enhanced by Sector B- hunter line." The man adjusted his glasses and lifted his face from reading the paper on the clipboard and faced Urihara in front of them.

"Yukimura-kun is under rehabilitation so he won't be available tracking Tsuzuki-kun, however, Yamada-kun here said he's willing to do the job."

A long pause followed while Urihara assessed the young male in front of him with his aged, droopy eyes.

"Yamada-kun, you already know that Tsuzuki-kun is our prized product here at HalGen, added to the fact that he's Chief Orobo's personal favorite. If you ever retrieve Tsuzuki-kun without any particular damage in him, I shall reward you." Urihara said albeit hesitant on his conditions. He's not the most honest man in terms of giving second chances but Yamada seems to be very desperate to take on the task at hand. "What would you want in return, Yamada-kun? "

"Decent clothes, money and my freedom." Well that was too direct, but Yamada, Satoru doesn't like beating around the bush. The tall male with the spots of a leopard on his shoulders and back stood there, not flinching from the current situation he's in.

Urihara smiled. As if he'd allow that to happen.

Yamada, Satoru. This particular man of unique abilities could very well be the answer to the country's military personnel shortage. Ryo Tsuzuki's line may be in demand for the old billionairs' perverted whims but Yamada here could be a lot more useful. In fact, Urihara could request a higher bid for the hunters line.

"Very well. Inukashi will assist you with the necessary parameters for Ryo's tracking. You shall have your request granted when he's returned here safe and sound."

---

Ryo jumped off the bed as soon as Mine told him about the groceries. He was pretty excited since he hasn't cooked in a very long time. He got busy in the kitchen to even realize the woman entering Line's apartment.

"Eggs, tomatoes, cheese, and bread. There's chicken and potatoes too. And some vegetables!" He exclaimed to himself while opening the grocery bags and laying them on the counter. "I think I'm going to make omu rice. Ah that's it!"

The young boy was oblivious about the two adults talking about him, observing him like he's in an enclosed glass room. Pans clanged and soon, the kitchen started to smell heavenly from Ryo's cooking. The young man could see how Mine almost barely used this pristine kitchen. What a waste, Ryo thought. His new appendages twitched and swayed from all the busy work in the kitchen and in no time, he had plated his masterpiece. It was only then that he saw Akano leaning against the counter with her eyes so exhilarated in observing the young cat-boy.

"Uh...uhm... Good morning, miss." Gosh, he nearly dropped the plates he's holding from the shock.

Her scent. It's quite familiar. Ryo had to dig in his memories which scent this belongs to. Ahh. The doctor. Her scent was with Mine's when he accidentally overheard them conversing the other day. She must have come by to check on him.

"M-my name is Ryo. Thank you for uhm... Taking care of me the other day. I know it was you. I kind of remember your scent." Ahh... Maybe he shouldn't have told her that. It'd just pique her already brooding curiosity.

[/td][/tr][/table]

• 2 weeks later...

[tr]

[td] Despite her proactive personality, Akano drunk and ate like a cat. It was evident in the way she sipped on the cup of coffee quietly while eyeing Ryo, which made Mine wonder how fascinating a boy with ears and tail could be. But then there weren’t many people who had an actual tail wagging like this one in front of him. Even his hips are moving along a bit with his tail, Mine thought.

“Have you figured out who he is?” asked Akano. She didn’t even bother to look at Mine when she queried.

“I asked Tomoe,” said Mine.

“I didn’t know you were so obvious when you check out people’s bum,” Akano remarked with a witty smile spreading across her face.

“The tail keeps getting in my vision, can’t help,” Mine shrugged as if he was the most innocent person in this world.

“Tomoe, huh? He has always been an excellence in procrastination,” She chuckled, shaking her head, and finally turned to Mine. They both sensed the distance in terms of time when she mentioned Tomoe’s name. Although the detective had ties with both her ex-lover and her brother, it was not until Akano officially became Mine’s girlfriend did she interact with Mine and Takeshi’s group. Now that the two had gone separated paths, to Akano, names like Tomoe would only trigger that nostalgic feeling in her. She could not deny the great time she had had with Mine. To this day, sometimes, when she got to the sides that only the closest to Mine could see again, Akano wanted their reunion, their relationship back to how it was a year ago. Their eyes locked for many seconds before Mine broke it by glancing away.

“So, what do you think about-…”

“I think that the current physical condition of him is not created for the military purpose,” she interrupted, a hint of nervousness in her voice. “Judging from this body, the cat features, I assume he could barely fight. His new body parts are seemingly sensitive. I-…”

“Hold on, how do you know that?”

“I tried and tugged it a bit when he was unconscious and he moaned.” Akano whispered through her clenched teeth and did not forget to comment. “It was quite sexy.”

Mine rolled his eyes in defeat. Did he actually fall in love with this person?

“Uh, um, good morning, miss.”

Both of them flinched a little as Ryo greeted Akano, calling her “miss”. Mine held back an exaggerated snort whereas Akano stomped on his foot under the counter after replying to Ryo with her doctor smile. Mine often made a face when she did that.

“Good morning.”

“M-my name is Ryo. Thank you for uhm... Taking care of me the other day. I know it was you. I kind of remember your scent.”

Akano revealed her vivid interest, lips pursing. This time Mine stood up straight and walked away from Akano, not bothering to hide his sigh of sympathy. He strolled over to Ryo’s side, inspecting the breakfast because from afar, he found the scent of homemade breakfast quite nice considering he had been splurging money on canned food and restaurants and takeaway for a year.

“Nice job,” his lips parted into a faint, satisfied smile. He intended to pat Ryo’s head yet his hand remained still, leaning on the edge of the marble countertop. “I need to check my e-mails. Call me when you are done.” The last sentence was directed at Akano subtly.

Mine emerged from the kitchen, disappearing in his study with the door sealed. He only wanted to avoid Akano’s interrogation, part of him feeling guilty for leaving Ryo in the claws of Akano’s obsession. No sooner did the browser appear on the LCD screen than his phone shrieked. Tomoe set the ringtone according to his preference which related to his favorite genre of music, metal. Mine could not comprehend what the singer was literally yelling. He swiveled the chair to his right to grab the phone but funnily knocked the high-tech device down on the floor, a hard clacking sound resonating in the room.

“Seriously…” He muttered, eyes scowling at the small Blackberry before lifting it up, and scanned for any scratches. But something must definitely have broken because the phone’s buzzing stopped although there was a call. “You’re fast,” said Mine with a hint of low chuckles. Considered Tomoe’s characteristic, Mine was taken aback that the detective contacted him so soon, just three hours after their first call of today. Collected and rational as Mine was, his eyebrows frowned deeply in confusion and disbelief at Tomoe’s exclamation.

“Get rid of that boy.”

“What?” was the only reply he could utter.

In the mid of his derangement, Tomoe suddenly became cognizant of his surroundings and circumstances, thus, lowered his voice to a mere whisper.

“I mean that pet you just bought. I know this wonderful old lady who is willing to take him in. Let’s meet at the park near your apartment, 3pm?”

These people could request him to search for a corpse while fully acknowledged that Tomoe was given the authorization of data such as this death certificate in his hand. There must be a subordinate that observed him from afar to ensure the confidentiality of their organization and follow Tomoe’s track. There is no way they are going to let me have the upper hand in this search, Tomoe bit his nail – an awful habit of his anxiety. He should not have accepted this case.

Mine paused, the palpable cease between his brows declining to disperse. Hundreds of thoughts flashing in his mind, and nothing came out a reasonable explanation for Tomoe’s behaviour. The only respond he could say at that moment was a firm ‘sure’.

The distressing atmosphere in the study suffocated him, Mine joining the others as a bystander, listening to their conversation on the sofa nearby the counter occupied by Akano. His wearied eyes opting to fixate on the floor. For a split second, they glimpsed at Ryo and met a rather concerning look towards Mine himself. It made him flinch a little, not tangible.

Then Akano’s next question caught his attention.

“Where do you get your tail and ears?”

Mine eyed the questioned one attentively from his seat as the silence gradually dominated the room. His hands entwined with each other tightly, Tomoe’s words echoing repeatedly at the back of his head like a mantra.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr][td]

That amiable smile made Ryo blush lightly. Not only that the woman is kind and somewhat looks harmless, she is undeniably beautiful. Stunning to the point that when Ryo laid his eyes on her, his pupils dilated for Akano truly is an eye candy. In fact, she and Mine look really great side by side, which made him think what their relationship is. The cat-boy frowned, realizing the two are that close and could probably be lovers, however, something feels off between them.

Aloof and parted. Mostly on Mine's side.

Ryo's eyes scanned the woman, taking in her facial features as if burning it to his mind. Her eyes reflected of wisdom and inquisitiveness, especially towards the origins of his non-human features. Her lips pursed in mere interest, the way a doctor finds his case extraordinary. The young man sighed, thinking there's really no escape on the prying eyes of the public for this poor cat-boy. He could totally see Mine's disapproving look as his doctor friend further examined his every move. As he thought. He shouldn't have mentioned how he recognised Akano by her scent that it only piqued her already heightened interest. Hopefully, this beautiful woman won't be as cruel as the scientists back in the laboratory.

Putting the plates on the table, he almost froze when Mine came close to inspect his creation. It was just a humble omurice but he took pride in his work, blushing deeply upon hearing the latter's praise.

Ahh... Praises. Something he seldom get during his training in the lab. It was always Satoru-kun alone that greeted him whenever he did good with the tests. It always comes with a pat on the head. Somehow, because of those moments, Ryo had gained a reflex. Just as Mine praised him, his ears flattened back, as if expecting a pat of approval. Nothing happened. Even so, Ryo felt appreciated.

"Thank you, Mine-ni--- ah. Watanabe-san." Curses. He shouldn't be overly attached to someone he only met last night.

Just as Mine dismissed himself, Ryo found himself alone with the woman who held the brightest smiles of curiosity. He himself posed an awkward one, wondering what questions he'll get just by looking at Akano's stare.

"So. Ryo-kun." She started. "Can you tell me something about those ears and tail? I'm sorry but I did touch them before while you were sleeping in my private clinic at home. How sensitive are these new appendages? Any added reflex? I'm also really curious when you said you could recognize my scent."

Ryo could feel like he's choking from Akano's non stop questions, not even bothering to pause on each one to give him time to talk. Ryo's ears flattened aback out of anxiousness but he finally managed to give her some answers. Answers Ryo knew the doctor wanted to hear.

"Well, my reflexes were enhanced. I could jump high... Probably higher than I could ever do before. My sense of smell is also enhanced but I've always been an olfactophilliac. My ears are kind of sensitive to a strangers touch, but when I'm the one touching it, it's quite normal. My tail though..." He bit his lips and looked down, blushing hard. "My tail is very sensitive..." He said shortly, wanting to dodge the question but Akano's focused eyes egged him on to continue. "Well... I just get... really ticklish."

The woman knew Ryo was lying with that last statement. As a doctor and a woman, Akano knew what an aroused expression looks like. It was evident by how Ryo moaned and twitched yesterday when she touched the flesh that connected the tail and his spine. Only then that the female doctor broke Ryo's lingering silence and caught him off guard when she finally asked the question the young man never wish to hear.

"Where did you get your tail and ears?"

Akano's expression was still warm and welcoming, however, her eyes became prying and would never take a lie for an answer. Ryo felt as if his blood drained off his face, turning a pale look towards the man who just came back with an unpaintable expression. There's really no escape for Ryo.

Trust. It was one thing Ryo refused to give after all that's happened to him. The cat-boy merely knew these people, but if he wanted to be saved from Urihata's grasp, the least he could do is give his littlest remaining trust to Mine and Akano. Mentally cursing, he let go of the glass he's been holding.

"Gee, where to start?" He said dryly, glancing at both of the young adults. Closing his eyes, he smiled--a bitter smile. As much as he never wanted to speak the word, he doesn't have much choice.

"Long story short. I am... A product of HalGen's experiment in their pet line. If you know the project, you will get the general idea." It was tough for Ryo to remain standing as he was being grilled with just one question; he had to lean against a bar chair nearby.

"I have ears and a tail because I am a product of their genetic alterations using a cat's DNA. As far as monetary price is concerned, I probably cost around 4M in US dollars. Maybe five." He glanced at Mine whose face seems to be removed of its colors. Paled probably from shock and disbelief.

"Watanabe-san. Would you like to touch them? It's not everyday that you meet a freak show like me, right?" He chuckled lightly, trying to ease the heavy atmosphere. "They're not going to fall off. Don't worry."

[/td][/tr][/table]

[tr]

[td]The chuckle was awkward and forceful. His eyebrows drooped upon the strained expression on Ryo’s countenance. Mine deemed the invitation as a half-hearted joke but still closed the distance between them as he moved to stand next to Ryo and patted his head the way one would do to a small kitten, benignly, tenderly. His hand brushed slightly over Ryo’s left ear, a corner of his lips curling up to form an airy smile.

“Actually I hope they do,” said Mine in an attempt to comfort the other.

Akano’s eyes averted to the empty cup of coffee in her hand, her fingers tapping on the edge of the cup, a habit she had when immersed in thoughts. Mine could sense a hint of remorse in her pursed lips. In spite of his kind words, he did not make any promises or extend the olive branch, not until the meeting with Tomoe this afternoon.

The buzzing phone indicated that it was time for the doctor to leave. A VIP patient’s heartbeat abruptly increasing, no one knew the cause of it since such an incident was never expected, not after a successful surgery operated by Akano Asashi. A fleeting goodbye and an apologetic smile later, she disappeared behind the door while Mine contemplated on their current situation. His capital punishment had been decided the moment he carried the boy from the side of the road into the Asashi’s mansion. Now that he had grasped information in his hand, the sentence was impossible to dodge. What mattered then was when and how it would happen to him. Mine could not worry less about Akano, no one dared to touch a strand of her hair under the watch of her guards. The VIP patients as well as the old loving father, Mr Asashi, would protect her from even a scratch.

It was ironic that who he had thought to be a poor starving person turned out to be a 4-million-dollar cat hybrid, an act of beneficence turned out to be a step towards chaos.

“So-o, are you hungry? You haven’t eaten anything,” Ryo scooted over the dining table to set out the culinary, breaking the train of thoughts in Mine whose stomach growled.

“Right, I forgot about that.”

Settled in his seat, Mine could not help but observe the only source of movement in the room which was Ryo reheating the cold food. The tail caught his attention once more as it swayed side to side from the small hole that the maids from Asashi’s mansion had kindly cut and sewed. Fingers intertwined, Mine resting his chin on the hands, tilting his left wrist occasionally to check the time.

“Thanks for the food!” Both hands clasped together, Ryo said and began munching on the spoon full of rice.

“It’s really good,” A contented smile appeared on Mine’s lips. “It’s been a long time since I last ate homemade meal,” He admitted unconsciously yet still cognizant of the subtle flicking movement of the cat ears before they relaxed and tilted back to the sides. It was interesting to study these little details of Ryo for they gave away his emotion quite obviously, making the boy easy to read. Maybe I should purchase a book on cat behavior this month, he thought.

“I used to live alone so…” Ryo’s eyes seemed to gaze into the far distance of the past, his hand absentmindedly playing with the spoon, slightly stirring the rice on the oval dish.

“I live alone as well but it’s impossible for me to cook,” Mine cleared his throat, self-conscious of his lack of skills.

“I will cook for you,” The half-feline young man leaned forward, causing Mine to inch back a little. His ears stood up straight, tail waving mildly.

“Then I will look forward to many more meals like this,” The words slipped his tongue, realization occurring to him almost immediately that he had just implied a promise of protection. However, upon the widening eyes of disbelief slowly relaxing into bright shimmering caramel ones, a part of Mine did not regret affirming the other’s safety. That reminded Mine of his meeting with Tomoe this afternoon. He had intended to ask Akano to watch over Ryo, that being no longer an option.

“Thank you,” Ryo’s low mutter did not escape Mine. “Very much.”

“So, what did you do before all of this?” Mine raised his eyebrow, gesturing at the appendages on Ryo’s body.

“Retail business while travelling around Japan,” His ears perked up as the boy spoke with fondness about his journey: the splendid vista of the floating Torii at Itsukushima Shrine, the exhausting climb on this one precipice, the shenanigans he experienced, and so on. The ever existing somberness that Ryo rarely revealed on his countenance and yet to successfully elude Mine’s notice faded away with the increasing elation in his words.

“I envy you,” Mine blurted out and failed to hide his own surprise at his statement. It was the truth that he had acknowledged since the day he turned twenty. Why did it shock him that much? Everyone has their dream, their bucket list. Even Mine had his own desire but he must choose what was suitable for him.

“Pardon?”

“No, it was nothing…” Mine shook his hand, inwardly letting out a sigh of relief.

After lunch, there was almost a dispute between the two since Mine didn’t want Ryo to hog all the housework. The dish washing he purchased was by no means for the purpose of decoration. Ryo could not win over Mine’s words and curl up on the couch, watching TV. 20 minutes later, another weight sunk on the long sofa, the owner of which crossed his legs, resting his back comfortably. The TV was showing a Hollywood blockbuster. The tip of Ryo’s tail flapping on the back pillow of the couch, unknowingly tickling the nape of Mine’s neck, Mine was engrossed in the movie so his hand moved on its own to dismiss the source of the tickle and ended up flicking at it. Ryo whipped his head up as if in cautious mode, ears erect.

“Sorry, your tail was tickling me,” Mine scratched his neck.

“It-it’s fine,” Ryo exhaled and shifted his tail to the other side. The small clock in the corner of the TV screen jumped to 2:45 PM.

“Listen, I have to go out a bit. I will be back around 4 PM,” Mine left his seat to grab a windbreaker. “Do you need anything? I will buy them for you.”

Ears twitching, mouth parting then pursing, Ryo was contemplating it hard. “A beanie to hide my ears,” Now it was his tail swaying. “And… melon bread, please.”

Mine blinked. Was he hesitating because he asked for melonpan?

“OK, sure,” Amused, Mine chuckled. “Remember to lock all the door and ignore any doorbell. I left my number on the counter. Call me should anything happen. And don’t leave the apartment.”

Although Ryo had replied a firm ‘Yes, I remember’, Mine found the other’s reflection in the convex mirror as he was turning a corner but decided to let Ryo delude himself that he had managed to sneakily follow Mine without the latter’s notice. Keeping Ryo in his peripheral view, Mine arrived the park a minute later than the appointed time. ‘Tomoe being unpunctual, he would not be here yet,’ thought Mine.

To his surprise, from afar, he could spot Tomoe throwing an empty paper cup of coffee and buying a new one from the vending machine.

“Tomoe, afternoon,” he waved at Tomoe, who returned his greetings right away.

“Yo, Watanabe!”

“Who is the old lady?” asked Mine once each of them had a drink in their hands.

“She is very wealthy,” Tomoe shrugged. “Powerful. She appears on the paper all the time. Senzo wrote about her.”

Fukunaga Senzo was an investigative journalist at the Tokyo Times, specialized in writing articles unveiling criminal empires but he had passed away a month ago when he began to focus on the Orobo case. It was said that his body was found torn and ripped in pieces by claws of carnivorous animals. A teenaged passerby knew less and took pictures of the crime scenes, posting them on the internet. Religious groups raised their voice on this matter, stating that it was the act of devils and the city needed to be purged. Extremists paraded on the street, yelling they saw demonic creatures lurking in the city.

“I see,” Mine nodded his head.

“Do you know that you’ve got a tail?” Tomoe’s voice hardened as he glared over Mine’s shoulder.

“I know,” Mine glanced behind him promptly. “The cat follows me out here.”

“What the hell? Down, Mine!”

As if on signal, Mine bent down and rolled out of his seat to Tomoe’s back. The shrieking sound of nearby gunshot buzzed his ears. The question echoed in his head.

“What is going on? Who is he shooting?”

“Stop, Tomoe!!”

“Shut up! I’m saving your precious cat’s only life.”

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

• 4 weeks later...

[tr][td]

Maybe trusting Akano and Mine wasn't all that bad. Ryo had convinced himself that the two have no intention to turn him in to the authorities, especially when Mine reached out to touch his head and ears. Closing his eyes as the man's warm hand made contact with the artificial flesh, it sent a tickle to which the left ear twitched lightly. As Ryo relished the gentle touch he had longed to feel, Mine's words bore a hole through his chest. Wishing the artificial ears would actually just fall off so he could finally live freely and be just the ordinary person he really is. Ryo frowned. He knew it won't be that easy or too far from a possibility.

As Akano left the two alone in the company of awkward silence, Ryo wondered how Mine could live in such solace. Alone. Sure the man has friends but at the end of the day, they would have to part ways to live each other's lives and Mine's lifestyle, for Ryo, seems a little gloomy. Although, judging from Mine's indifference with it, the man seems to have gotten used to it.

During their lunch and short banter on who will wash the dishes after, Ryo was suddenly reminded of home. The chuckles and slightly energetic ambience made the situation feel so much lighter as if the dark, lingering future never existed. Even when they were sitting quietly in the living room watching TV, it was the kind of normalcy Ryo wished for-- hoped to keep for a bit longer.

Somehow, Ryo could not calm his nerves when Mine told him he's going out for a while. Even though he had promised to stay, the young cat-boy had convinced himself he would follow and tail on Mine. As soon as he grabbed his old hoodie, Ryo locked the door behind him, hoping the man would stay oblivious of his presence. He found himself crouching behind a plant box while Mine meet up with a man of his age at a park. From what Ryo could see, the two seems to be close.

"They could be acquaintances from work or something" Ryo mumbled under his breath. "Come to think of it... I never knew what Watanabe-san's nature of work is. Office? He must be a salary man..." The cat-boy pondered to himself a bit. He cursed under his breath for being too far as he couldn't hear much from the way the two men are talking. He stretched out, wanting to hear more but his hoodie was caught by a twig exposing his ears without him knowing it.

The young cat-boy was oblivious at the person who loomed over him before being grabbed and pinned against a wall. The world spun for Ryo as he winced from the sudden pain and shock, only to meet those familiar golden pair of eyes.

"Satoru-kun!" Ryo exclaimed rather joyously, however the man did not return the same reaction. "How?! You fled too? Are... Are you ok? You seem--"

"Shut it, Ryo. I'm sorry. I'm here to take you back." The golden-eyed man glared, his grip tightening around the cat-boy's shoulder who stopped squirming as his face paled.

"You... You've sided on them already? Have you gone senile? After all they did to you... To us! No! I'm not going with you. Satoru-kun, we should escape. Now is your chance since you're already out here."

Ryo stopped struggling as soon as he heard Mine's friend yell and was quickly followed by a gunshot sending Satoru aback and to the ground, crying out in pain, holding his shoulder. It was a whirlwind of events and the surprised Ryo turned his head towards where the gunshot came from. A part of him shrunk in despair upon seeing Tomoe handing the gun to Mine aiming at his friend.

Mine, although puzzled by the situation, analyzed the appearance of the attacker. Tall, tanned and have striking golden eyes. Just one quick look and one will know that the male is strong, stronger than any of them in that place. But he's got the advantage because he has a weapon and the raven is confident with his shooting skills. Slowly, he aimed at the attacker.

"Watanabe-san, no please... He's..." Ryo stopped just as Satoru crawled back to him and grabbed his neck, strangling the poor cat-boy.

Mine did not falter from his aim even when Satoru used the cat-boy as a human shield.

"Mine, wait!" Tomoe yelled but the second gunshot echoed throughout the area. Ryo was there, curled on the ground, trembling from the shoot out while Satoru lay down with yet another wounded leg.

"Watanabe-san..." Ryo sobbed as is eyes met a shocked Mine who never expected to actually pull the trigger. He wasn't expecting Mine to be able to hurt someone just because the stray cat that he took in was in danger. Ryo's tears dripped down on his cheeks as he weakly ran towards the man, clinging to him like a lost child who was finally found.

"I'm sorry Watanabe-san... You didn't have to get your hands dirty for me...I'm sorry!" Ryo dawned to him that as long as he stick with this man, everyone in his circle will be involved in his mess. Should he go back or run away again? Ryo fought the demons in his head but they were instantly calmed when Mine petted his head.

"Tomoe will take him to the doctor now and is subject for interrogation right after. Are you hurt? He strangled you... let me see." The gentle voice soothed Ryo's nerves, letting the man take a look at his slightly reddening neck. "Tsk... Should we go to Akano and have this treated? It left quite a mark."

Ryo shook his head and clung to Mine, his only safety from this works of chaos.

"I'm fine... I want to go home..."

[/td][/tr][/table]