Pigeon Rules

Kotorichan

Okay, I figured I should make one of these things already so here are my rules:

1. No god modding- this includes 'assuming' that my character did something or not giving me a chance to have my character react. E.g. Mc and Yc get into a fight, Yc yells at Mc and within the same post storms out of the house and drives away. I at least need a chance to have M cattempt to stop Yc. Otherwise you're just assuming that Mc would stand there and do nothing.
  2. Undeveloped characters- Okay, I get it if you have a few things in your character that you end up tweaking a little bit. Like, if Yc originally wasn't scared of eels and then when they go to an aquarium Yc totally freaks out. But if Yc is just inconstant it makes it really hard to work a plot.
  3. No one liners- I understand if you don't have much you can say without assuming what Mc is doing. But you can just go into detail a bit, what are they thinking? What is their body language?
  4. Grammar and spelling- I need to be able to understand what you're saying fairly easily. If I'm spending more time trying to understand your post than I am thinking about/writing my reply then it won't work. I understand typos and a few mistakes but I can't do guesswork.
  5. No magic problem solvers- I've seen this a few times. I introduce a problem to add conflict and my partner gives their character some kind of connection or power that fixes it with no effort. This can seriously kill an rp. No conflict, no plot, no fun.
  6. Realism- I love fantasy, I also like realistic things. But there has to be logic with both. For how characters act and how the world works. Especially in a real life setting, if you don't know much about how something works then you can at least google it.
  7. Reply within a week- Unless you let me know that you'll be busy, I expect within the week replies. I haaaatttteee messaging people to see if they plan on replying.
  8. Communicate with me- if something's not working or you want to make a big change, or even change your character. Let me know! We can work something out. If you want to end the rp then tell me so I'm not just waiting.
  9. Be respectful of actual LGBTQA people and issues- this is a really personal thing for me since I have a lot of personal investment in the community. But please be respectful about real people and real life issues. I know that these rps are just for fun but there have been a few times that it has come close to personally insulting. Especially for trans/non-binary people. If you want a cross dressing character then knock yourself out, but if they're going to be cross dressing for more than just sex appeal then you have to put some actual thought into it. I know that yaoi is pretty much a huge fetishization of gay men, but I don't want it to go too far and become insulting.

I'll add anything I might have forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kotorichan

One more important thing that I forgot:

10. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH SUICIDAL CHARACTERS- I literally cannot stress this enough. I don't mind if you have a character that struggles with depression and suicidal ideation, but it must be done as more than just an easy way to add more sympathy/drama to a roleplay. I will end a roleplay if I feel like you're just using suicide because you can't think of other ways to create tension. It is an extremely personal and difficult issue for me to deal with and so if you're not sure if you can properly play a suicidal character with me, don't. This applies to self abuse too, but I'm a bit more lenient with that. Suicide is an incredibly serious issue and people rarely (if ever) just do it because they feel sad once. If your character has long lasting depression, a history a suicide ideation, and/or countless other things that contribute then I'm okay with it since it's something that's developed. But a sudden and meaningless attempt at suicide will end a roleplay for me. If you want to make a deep problem into a shallow plot device then first of all you should find someone else, and second of all you should try to be more creative and less insulting.

• 1 year later...

A quick add on to this- I've been having a lot of trouble in my personal life so there might be times that I'll disappear at random. I'll try to let you know but if you'd be really bothered by me disappearing for a few days sometimes then we should probably wait before rping together.

• 4 years later...

Just a couple things I feel I should add to this:

Absolutely do not contact me if you're under 18. I am not only extremely uncomfortable with rping with minors but I could also lose my job and face legal consequences if I did even without my knowledge. If I suspect that you're lying about your age then I will immediately drop our rp. Please respect this boundary.

I am currently dealing with some really bad health issues which can render me unable to reply for a week or two. I'll do my best to let you know if this happens but sometimes its difficult for me to even do that. I completely understand if that's a deal breaker for you. It's a lot easier for me to contact people through discord because discord works much better on my phone and there are lots of days that I'm completely bedridden, so even if we rp through YO then it can be helpful if we add each other through discord.

Please don't be shitty if I ask to drop our rps. Sometimes my style of rping just doesn't mesh well with someone else's and it becomes a chore to reply to them. I suffer from really terrible anxiety so if I actually work up the courage to ask to drop our rps it means that it's really not working for me.

I'm non-binary and use They/them pronouns, if you have a problem with that then just don't get in contact with me. I genuinely don't care why you think that singular they is incorrect grammar.