California orders gay history in school textbooks

Rei

i've just read this on msnbc.com and thought I should share

California orders gay history in school textbooks

Because of budget woes, it could take several years for the material to show up

SAN FRANCISCO - California became the first U.S. state to require that public school textbooks include the accomplishments of gay, lesbian and transgender Americans as Governor Jerry Brown signed the mandate into law.

"History should be honest," said Brown in a written statement.

The measure won final passage from the state legislature earlier this month when it passed on a 49-25 party-line vote, with Democrats in favor and Republicans opposed.

"This bill revises existing laws that prohibit discrimination in education and ensures that the important contributions of Americans from all backgrounds and walks of life are included in our history books," Brown said. "It represents an important step forward for our state.

The law also requires that public schools teach about the contributions of Pacific Islanders and the disabled.

California already mandates that schools include historical accomplishments by Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans and European Americans.

Republicans who opposed the legislation argued that it would write an agenda into school textbooks.

'Sexually brainwashed'

Randy Thomasson, president of the conservative SaveCalifornia.com, said Brown had "trampled the parental rights of the broad majority of California mothers and fathers who don't want their children to be sexually brainwashed."

"The only way parents can opt-out their kids from this immoral indoctrination is to opt them out of the entire public school system, which is no longer for morally sensitive parents and their children," Thomasson said.

It could still be several years before California students start reading about gay accomplishments in their textbooks.

The state's Department of Education has said that, because of the state's budget woes, new textbooks will probably not be adopted until 2015.

The bill was supported by gay rights organizations including Equality California and the Gay-Straight Alliance Network. Teacher groups also said the bill would help students prepare for a diverse and evolving society.

"There is no room for discrimination of any kind in our classrooms, our communities or our state," said Dean Vogel, president of the California Teachers Association.

Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report

• Like 23

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• go-onder

• toby2663

• Kisaru

• chelx09

That's great! :D I'm very happy that finally people start to think about the rights of gay people. This should happen in many states, not just in California, but at least it's a start :hamtaro-005 (6):

• Like 6

That's great! I'm very happy that finally people start to think about the rights of gay people. This should happen in many states, not just in California, but at least it's a start

So true Macys... Portugal has already conceded many rights to gay, but still not enough...

Hope it get's even more equal here as well :)

• Like 5

I want to be optimistic, but i just can't help but think that this will be repealed eventually. And i like that some republicans have so little faith in their kids that they think they can be "converted" so easily

• Like 3

[video=youtube;U-iHBM_wibs]

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

it was like this in my country (gay-parade). for me, it's really shameful to live in serbia

on the day of gay-parade, my father was working (and he's a policeman). my family and i, we were watching tv all the time. it was really nerv-wracking. one police officer actally got famous because he said 'ne diraj mi beograd' witch means 'don't touch my belgrade'. fortunatly, my father was alright, but i'm still very sad about gay rights in my country :cuteonion53:

• Like 4

[video=youtube;U-iHBM_wibs]
Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

it was like this in my country (gay-parade). for me, it's really shameful to live in serbia

on the day of gay-parade, my father was working (and he's a policeman). my family and i, we were watching tv all the time. it was really nerv-wracking. one police officer actally got famous because he said 'ne diraj mi beograd' witch means 'don't touch my belgrade'. fortunatly, my father was alright, but i'm still very sad about gay rights in my country :cuteonion53:

I'm sorry that happened, thankfully your father is alrigth though

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Guest FujoshiFTW

Wow, I never knew that California (and perhaps America in a whole) held such discrimination towards people 'who aren't straight'. Finally they can respect each other equally. I really am happy hearing this news. Just wondering when it will go around to the rest of the world...

i'm so glad that they are starting to respect gay people more! They are people like all of the other and they have the right to date whom ever they want! Thanks for posting the news!! ^^

• Like 1

I really hope this gets spread around to the other states, especially to us down South. Though, I think that'll be the last place it'll show up, sadly. I mean, people around my town are getting better at either accepting everyone, or just keeping their mouths shut about it if they don't like it, but when I was in high school? We had ONE gay couple. One. And that was me and my girlfriend. Outcast from even the 'oucast group'. I hope in time people can stop being so damn pig headed and just learn to accept everyone for who they are. It's not like we're out there yelling at people and protesting that they're straight. Why can't they leave us alone?

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

excellent news,a small step forward but a step forward none the less. It is through these small apparently insignificant events that the greatest changes occur, onwards and upwards to universal equality for all

• Like 1

No, Sorry I absolutely hate this. We should teach about people like RuPaul and Aya Kamikawa in POP culture.. In no way should this be in schools especially when "We have budget woes" .. I'm sorry ditching math to tell how RuPaul tucked her dick in and beat the odds? Excuse me but that isn't what a school should ever be about. Literature, Math, Science, and History (And history is the first to go in budget woes) In no way am I saying they didn't accomplish anything but.. Seriously, California?

Let us all teach each other things like this.. Not waste a teachers already stressed and maxed out time. P.S: Also against them adding more to history as is.. please just focus on your own countries history and leave it at that, We really need to know how to live on our own rather than learning how some king killed a another. Sorry if i'm a little conservative but school is just about your basics.

• Like 1

I hope this goes to around the world. Educating about this can hep people be more open minded and not fear lesbian or gay. Or think that its some kind of disease. I specially hate it when they think it contaminating. I mean seriously people should stop be ignorante about simple things like tis or i don't know what we r going to do with the next generation.

• Like 1

Excellent news to brighten up my night.

Seriously, humanity needs to stop going backward all the time, we need to keep reminding ourselves that everyone is becoming more intellectually evolved... Soon we'll be nothing but light beings...the point where finally love conquered all things.

:leaf3:

Woah good for them, really. Hope that this will also happen in our country and spread entire the globe. Everyone must learn to accept it, don't just discriminate and insult them. They're also humans, they also need the same share of respect. I approve of that.

(*hoping that my uncle and his bf would get married and have a happy life together soon. )onionn6

• Like 1

I'm glad that gay people are going to be recognized for what they did during the course of history. Now hopefully, the books will appear, though it could be that eventually schools are going to decide to not buy the books. *sighs*

At least this is a good improvement. Hopefully other schools in the country will follow as well (it wouldn't hurt if the schools in the rest of the world would follow the same example, but that's probably wishful thinking)

• Like 1

I want to be optimistic, but i just can't help but think that this will be repealed eventually. And i like that some republicans have so little faith in their kids that they think they can be "converted" so easily

:( Unfortunately, that is very likely.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Go-onder/Plagiarus I agree it will be repealed at some point but by then the debate will have started and once started it will run and run. And as no argument used to support its repeal cannot be used against the teaching of the history of other cultural sub groups i.e Religion,Founding Fathers,Republicans etal it could get very interesting.I also think that the out come will also be decided by how strongly we in the gay community feel and react,as has been seen over the last 10 years the power of the Pink Dollar/Pound is not to be under estimated when bringing big business into line

• 11 months later...

Ok, to start.. I'm a girl but I do respect all people whether they're gay or lesbians or anything.. And I live in the Philippines and actually, there's this tv drama that shows how gay relationship works and the lead actor is a gay with a wife and a gay mistress.. Then, that tv drama was being so controversial because the church opposes and always says that Philippines is a Christian country and that God didn't create 3rd sex and stuffs.. But actually, there are MANY gays and lesbians here.. (You know Charice Pempengco? Yeah, she's a lesbian.) and there are also MANY gay pageants and things like that.. It's just that Philippines (especially the church), don't approve of gay or lesbian marriage but it's still pretty good here... Most of the Filipinos are accepting that there is 3rd sex and quite open minded about what this issue is.. Btw, I love that tv drama! XD It's called "My Husband's Lover".. XD

-Just sharin' :)