Indonesia's best dishes

CutiePie

( a preview of the original one. )

Here we run through a mouth-watering array of broth-soaked noodles, fiery curries, banana-wrapped fish and vegetable salads with sweet peanut dressing. Most of the recommended restaurants are in Jakarta, a magnet for Indonesians from all over the archipelago, who naturally brought their cuisine with them.

1. Sambal

Sambal_2008_600px.jpg?itok=jNEFxO6qWhile technically more of a condiment, the chili-based sauce known as sambal is a staple at all Indonesian tables.

Dishes are not complete unless they have a hearty dollop of the stuff, a combination of chilies, sharp fermented shrimp paste, tangy lime juice, sugar and salt all pounded up with mortar and pestle.

So beloved is sambal, some restaurants have made it their main attraction, with options that include young mango, mushroom and durian.

2. Satay

Satay_1725_600px.jpg?itok=sT8U3cl0These tasty meat skewers cook up over coals so hot they need fans to waft the smoke away.

Whether it’s chicken, goat, mutton or rabbit, the scrappy morsels get marinated in turmeric, barbecued and then bathed in a hearty dose of peanut sauce.

Other nations now lay claim to sate, but Indonesians consider it a national dish conceived by street vendors and popularized by Arab traders.

Each vendor seeks distinction, but "sate madura" –- served with rice cakes (ketupat) and diced cucumber and onion -– is distinguished by its boat-shaped street carts.

3. Bakso

Bakso_1766_600px.jpg?itok=SE2F7QXpA favorite among students, this savory meatball noodle soup gained international fame when U.S. President Barack Obama remembered it as one of his favorites during a visit to Jakarta last November.

It takes on many forms; meatballs –- springy or rubbery, the size of golf balls or bigger -– are made from chicken, beef, pork or some amorphous combination of them all. Sold mostly from pushcarts called kaki lima, bakso comes garnished with fried shallots, boiled egg and wontons.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• andreanitzoo

• zackh

• CutiePie

• Saturn

oh, yum! The Ikan bakar (#35) sounds delicious. I've got see if there's an Indonesian restaurant near my university...

Thanks for sharing

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

your welcome. indonesia is my old country i used to love. but now i'm on japan :)

Don't forget about "Rendang" It's also delicious >.

thank you for sharing this :) (so happy since Indonesia is my country :D:D)

Of course there's dear *LOL*

yeah it's kinda spicy and the seasoning is very strong, especially the rendang and sambal hijau (green sambal)^^

also there's Ketoprak in Jakarta, it's quite famous, mix vegetable, egg, with peanut sauce *yummy*

*shy* I ate there, loved it, but... but, but, how could I possibly remember those strange names! Eating out meant asking every single waiter to SHOW ME PICTURES because I did not see any difference between nciasbdciubdoi dish and nicifduiewbio dish. rabbit12

I think I ate and liked something named rangangngngggg! It was HOT and SPICY!

Whatever! I'm just compromising myself.....*runs away*

a lot of indonesian dishes are hot and spicy dear *rofl

well maybe someday you should tell me whenever you want to come Indonesia and i'll show to every best spot of culinary around here^^

I love hot and spicy food! I just love the burning sensation in my mouth.

I must say... I don't think I ever tried an Indonesian dish.

But it seems that as

and
point out, the peanut sauce- the same with Thai dishes. They often use peanut sauce.

I am allergic to peanut sauce, since well, I'm allergic to peanuts. [but not nuts, because peanut is considered a legume] so I really have to be careful when I go out and eat Asian food. I have to know what oil they use to cook.

I actually asked the waitress at a Thai restaurant if they use peanut oil and she said, no simply because there are too many people who are allergic to peanuts.

It's strange, considering the epidemic explosion of people in America is allergic to peanuts. Like it's one of the most dangerous allergic food, next to plain gluten food intolerance.

But so far, I am not aware of other sauce or oil allergies.

ah same as me, i love spicy and hot dishes,, that's why i often make sambal (from chili and some garlic and salt) for 'companion' during eat fried chicken *so yummy*

Hm as i know, peanut sauce (it called sambal pecel/sambal kacang) is only used for certain dishes in Indonesia, not many dishes used or eat with peanut sauce,, so when you visit Indonesia (i hope someday^^) you don't have to worry about the oil or peanut in any dishes, my dear :D

Anyway there's one of my favorite food from my country, it's famous and a lot of people love it,, it's called soto. There're many various of Soto, for example soto ayam (chicken soto), soto sapi (beef soto), soto sulung (beef, eeg, vegetables,etc), soto betawi, soto kudus, and a lot more :D

322351719_1359283498.jpg

mee+soto+2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm Indonesian :D indeed Indonesian dishes really good. The most popular foods are from west sumatra (padang) you can find it in padang restaurant nearby. but actually the other foods also great but just be carefull of the spicy dishes. it may too spicy taste. it's happening in Indonesia make a level on their spicy (low, medium, high, very high) just take your necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Hei

we were same! I'm Indonesian too :p Well every food in Indonesia taste good. But the spicy food is the most famous foods in Indonesia. :D

• 8 months later...

hm... sounds yummy~ you guys talk about Indonesian's food and made me interest.. :D well, I'm from Indonesia too.. i loved Mie ayam so much :3

and, hey.. why don't we made some gathering? (YO indonesian's member) well.. cheetah7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

do you mind if i'm the one answer it? well it's called "martabak manis".. actually the real one only use one topping (?) (well not really one but not really like the picture) it's depend on what you order. but for sure they use milk and sugar before put the topping... it's sweet.. and cheap hahaha :D

but wait.. it's martabak manis, right?

forgive me if im wrong kkkk

yes!!!!! martabak manis compilation

- - - Updated - - -

it's sweeeett, greentea, cheese, chocolate, strawberry jam etc