Oculus Rift {11/09/2013}

Giggly

hvv2j9.png

Oculus Rift

The Oculus Rift is a next-generation virtual reality headset designed for immersive gaming. In it's basic form the Oculus Rift is a pair of glasses you wear to immerse your mind into the game you're currently playing, .Hack anyone? The OR ( Oculus Rift ) is a heads up display that places you within the game, it also has special sense's that know when you move your head, and inturn, it moves what is on the screen within the glasses.

The below image is what one of the OR developer head sets look like, the offical public one is rumored to be slightly larger in size as it will be using a 7 inch screen instead of a 5.6 inch screen.

oculus-immersive-gaming-headset.jpg

The platforms for this device are currently Windows, Lunix and OS X.

Now this device is currently not released to the public but, you can order one. The device currently has multiple prototypes and developer kits and there are quite a few videos of people using them.

The Device only works with certain games and software's at this moment in time however, the developers are constantly creating apps for the headset to bring more and more games into the compatibility range. currently games like team fortress 2 and half life 2 work with the head set.

[video=youtube;5H2rL-lBxRs]

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Giggly

• unlove

• Matti_19

• Dai

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
they aren't the same thing, the Sony's PS3 3D glasses, are glasses that you wear and look at a TV and it turns the image into 3D, same thing with 3D films you might have seen at the cinema.

The Oculus Rift, is it's own screen, you don't look outside of the glasses as they are blacked out and the screens are built into the headset

Does that make any sense what so ever? lols

Oh, really? I've been looking for something like this for years. Does this thing actually work the way you'd expect it to work? I mean, the game experience, is it fun? What about the graphics? I don't want to buy "trash". Does it use your computers graphic card/ a build in graphic card? Is the gameplay smooth?

Any opinions? Worth buying( I don't mean the price)?

from what i have seen it runs and works smoothly, i haven't personally used one nor do i have one, don't have the money to buy one but, if i did i'd certainly pick one But, thats just because i'm teck gamer and i do tend to buy allt eh latest stuff. From the videos i've seen it does look fun to use the headset, and it'd certain bring a new way to gaming But, it looks like something you would have to get adapted to. It's not going to be a stick on teh headset and instantly have fun, it'd take a bit to get used to.

yes it uses your computers GPU, CPU and ram. It is purely a display unit that has head movement built in. Which does mean you need a pretty decent computer to use it, since it's basically the same as using 3 monitors, which could eaily kill of many peoples comupter rigs. I noticed some people have advised that you don't use the product unless your GPU is better then a nVidia GTX Titan 6GB ( which costs about $1,000 ).

After my last post I took a few minutes to check some Youtube videos.

I've been a huge tech-lover mysef. It's said that it won't work with the PS3/4. I enjoy PS-games-, but, since I'm also using my computers to play games the OR could be fun- at least checking it out could be fun. I already found a way to buy the developer thingy( no final version available).

I agree. My main "PC unit" consists of 3 desktops( One Main Desktop, 2 smaller Desktops). Once you get used to it, it's fun/ good for networking/working and using Skype.

No, you don't need time to get used to it if you've already played games using a Headset. You can find similar technology used for games you can play at Game-Centers( I don't think there are any of them in the West- at least I've never heard of any big Game Parks in Europe/America).

The said thing is; If they want the Oculus Rift to be used by everyone they should think about ways to lower the price. A common household can't easily spend $1,000 on games/hardware. That's a huge problem of technology nowadays. We can't keep using it, because most people don't earn enough to buy it and because they don't earn enough this kind of tech often gets forgotten. Forgotten means: No development/advancement/applications etc.

Anyways, thanks for the info.

Have a good day.