Blood Knights (vampire novel I'm working on)

Ueda_Angel

Chapter 1

It was only his first mission and a mock one at that but he would show the others he was capable of joining them out on the field. The set up they had put together made it feel real considering he had already observed a live mission from afar. It had been an easy one too something he could have handled with his hands tied behind his back. Okay maybe just one hand.

Pushing the thought from his mind Haiake stood very still and filled his nostrils with the surrounding scents hoping to locate even the faintest trace of blood. After several moments he hit his mark and started running in the direction of the scent all the while staying within the safety of the shadows.

“Haiake what’s your location?”

Haiake nearly jumped in surprise by the voice coming from his earpiece. He reached up by his collar to speak into an installed mic to respond. “I’m over on 11th street. I’ve picked up the trail. He’s pretty close.”

“Good you know what to do when you reach him Miakatsu will join you soon.”

Haiake inwardly groaned. “Why did you send that idiot Tozouku? I told you I could handle this myself.”

“No arguments unless you want to pulled from this mission.” Tozouku responded harshly, “Is that clear?”

Haiake snapped his mouth shut for a second. He knew better than to make Tozouku angry. Seeing Tozouku angry was like borrowing a hammer and nailing your own coffin shut. “Clear Haiake out.” When he no longer heard Tozouku’s voice he picked up his pace and jumped onto a small walkway of an abandon building. Scanning the area he soon pinpointed his target; a man with a knife and a girl in a red evening dress. “There you are.”

“No please let me go please!” the girl cried

“You really like using that mouth don’t you. The man responded. “But I think I may have a better use for it.”

Haiake’s eyes widened. If this was only a mock mission he was almost afraid to find out what he would face out in the field. Shaking his head he jumped down from the walkway ledge. “Hey you.”

The man turned around throwing the girl to the side. “Well, well look what we have here. Are you up for a round as well? I don’t know if she’s any good though but I’m willing to share.”

Haiake quickly glanced at the woman to see she had been knocked unconscious or so it appeared. He then looked at the man dead in the eye. “Unlike you I’m not interested in spending my nights making a fool of myself. But I’ll easily be able to proof it’s your main priority.”

The men scoffed. He reached into his back pocket, and flicked open a switchblade. “I hope you’re hungry bud cause I’m about to make you eat those words.”

Haiake had a hard time from rolling his eyes. “As a matter of fact I am hungry but I’m not about to dine on the bullshit that you’re spewing. So I suggest you do the whole world a favor and shut that unwanted annoying hole in the middle of your face.”

The man’s face grew red with anger as he held out the switchblade and lunged towards Haiake. Almost seeing the movement before it happened he stepped to the side watching as the man stumbled nearly losing his balance. “Stay still you son-of-a.”

Quickly glancing in the direction of the unconscious woman he smirked cutting the man off. “You know it’s very rude to use such fowl language in the presence of a lady; unconscious or not.” Turning his attention back to the man he held out his hand. “Care to dance?”

The man lunged forward again this time aiming for Haiake’s head with his free hand tightened into a fist. Swing and a miss. He turned around and repeated the action missing again. “Okay you’re really starting to piss me off.”

Haiake inhaled through his nostrils and seconds later he wrinkled up his face. “I could say something in return but I’ll just bite my lip.”

“What’s stopping you?”

Haiake tensed up when he heard that familiar voice. “Miakatsu.” Seconds later a silhouette appeared next to him. “You’re late.”

Miakatsu turned to look at Haiake and faintly hissed. “Shut up, you were supposed to stay hidden until I showed up. You disobeyed your orders.”

Haiake opened his mouth to say something in return but shut it again immediately knowing the other was right. “Well I-“ he knew there was nothing he could say to safe himself.

“Just forget it. I’m sure if you ask Tozouku nicely he’ll let it slide this time.” Miakatsu muttered as he focused his attention on their target. “This looks easy, too easy. I can’t believe they gave you such an easy mission. And yet you still screwed it up.”

“If you think it’s too easy then why are you here?” Haiake asked feeling his anger reaching a point it shouldn’t.

“Don’t blame me, Tozouku wanted me to join in on the fun.” Miakatsu argued. “By the way you take care of the victim. I’m going to do some hunting.”

Haiake felt a sudden urge to smack the man beside him. “Like hell you are. I’ve done most of the work already so I get to hunt. You take care of the victim.”

“Hey are you two jackasses done?”

Both turned to look at the man before allowing their eyes to glow a piercing white and their fangs to slide out of their gums. “He’s mine.”

Before Haiake could say anything Miakatsu had moved forward and had the man in his arms his fangs ready to pierce the tempting exposed flesh of his neck. Standing up in hopes to start protesting Haiake was stopped when he felt a hand on his shoulder. Turning around he was greeted with a warm smile. “Tozouku?”

“Well done Haiake. Except for one order you did very well. You may be able to start on simple missions now.” Tozouku said smiling. “In fact I believe Kaisuke has one tonight. It’s nothing big, just some recon. I’m sure he’ll be fine with you going along, right Kaisuke?”

“Just think that was just a mock mission.” Kaisuke spoke up approaching the others having checked over the woman. “You sure he’s ready for the big leagues Tozo?”

Tozouku glared at the unwanted nickname. “I hardly consider recon part of the big leagues.”

“Just as long as I don’t have to work with him-.” Haiake responded pointing his thumb towards Miakatsu. “-I am not complaining in the least.”

Miakatsu pushed himself away from the alley wall. “That has to be the only thing you and I can freely agree on without argument.” He turned his attention to the man sitting on the ground next to him. “You okay?”

“Fine he did put up a good fight though.”

Tozouku walked forward extending his hand. “You have been most helpful. We really appreciate your efforts. Mr. V.”

• Like 6

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ueda_Angel

• Ginger

• Aoi

• hinata--chan

The man addressed as Mr. V accepted the extended hand pulling himself to his feet and smiled in return. “It was my pleasure. Unlike most humans I have no fear of your kind. I know there are two different categories, those who work with or for humans and those who work against. If I can help add to the list of those who work for us I’ll do whatever I can.”

“Well as you know we loathe being seen as bloodsucking monsters so your help is highly appreciated.” Kaisuke spoke up as he stepped forward. “Oh by the way you’re wife I just checked up on her she should be fine within a few hours.”

Mr. V turned towards the woman propped up against the wall. “I see thank you. I guess in all the acting I got a little too into my character.”

Haiake chuckled as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. “You should think of taking up on acting. You were very convincing to me.”

“Well try to remember that when you’re out on the field there won’t be actors. You’ll be dealing with the real thing. “ Miakatsu stated hotly.

Haiake turned to glare at the other vampire. “Try telling me something I don’t already know.”

“Well considering how low you’re intelligence is it would take too long to list everything so I’m not even going to waste my breath.” Miakatsu responded turning his back to the others.

“You know it’s very rude to compare yourself to others.” Haiake retorted, “Mia.”

Miakatsu stepped forward eyes glowing fangs bared “You just signed your own death warrant.” Before he could get any closer he was blocked.

“Do you two want to punished again?” Tozouku asked looking back and forth between the two arguing vampires.”

“He started it.” Was the answer from both of them.

Mr. V glanced over at Kaisuke. “I’m guessing this happens often.”

Kaisuke chuckled. “When it comes to those two it’s a daily ritual. I’m still trying to figure out how Tozouku has managed to pacify them.”

“Because neither of them wishes to feel my wrath.” Tozouku stated, his voice low and menacing. “Now apologize. NOW!”

Miakatsu’s eyes returned to normal and his fangs retracted. “I suppose my comments were uncalled for. I hope I would not be too bold in asking for forgiveness.”

Haiake bit his lip. “It would only be fair of me to ask for forgiveness of you in return.”

Tozouku expression did a complete one-eighty and smiled warmly. “Come on you three it’s time to head back to the manor. You all have school in the morning and I expect all of you to be there on time.”

Kaisuke yawned, “You know I didn’t even do any work tonight and I’m downright exhausted. What about you two?”

Miakatsu shrugged. “I guess so.”

“Same here. I think it’s best if we head back now.” Haiake added throwing in a yawn of his own. “In fact I feel quite woozy to be honest.”

Tozouku turned around in time to catch Haiake as his legs gave out. “Haiake when was the last time you fed?”

“Um ten days ago.” Haiake answered his voice quiet.

“Careless as usual.” Miakatsu muttered. He shut his mouth when he noticed the look Tozouku was shooting him. “Let’s just get home.”

“Way ahead of you.” Kaisuke stated already a fair distance away. “Tozouku are you going to make breakfast again?”

Tozouku was busy hoisting Haiake onto his back. “I planned to yes. Is there anything particular you wish to have?”

Miakatsu picked up his pace as he followed the others back. “I’m not picky you guys already know that.”

“That’s got to be a first.” Haiake muttered weakly.

“You’re lucky you’re in your current state or I-“ Miakatsu began.

Tozouku turned allowing is emerald eyes to glow. “Or you’ll what?”

Recoiling Miakatsu stepped back. “Nothing.”

“That’s what I thought.” Tozouku answered picking up his pace. “Now come on. We’ve had a long day. Rest is required for all of us.”

Kaisuke stretched his arms up and yawned again “I just wish it was Friday.”

Miakatsu scoffed. “I don’t.”

Kaisuke nearly stopped in his tracks. “Why is that?”

Miakatsu looked at the slightly taller vampire. “Have you forgotten?”

“The Chief has an important case for us this weekend. Remember?” Haiake stated as he felt himself drifting off to sleep.

Tozouku lightly shook the vampire on his back. “Hush now. A job well done deserves a reward. Rest now. You’ll feed tomorrow.”

Haiake had no reason to argue and no strength so he closed his eyes and allowed himself to fall into a blissful slumber.

Kaisuke watched as the newest addition to the team did indeed fall asleep and looked at Miakatsu. “Hey think you can go on ahead? I want to talk to Tozouku alone.”

Normally one would be insulted to be excluded from a conversation but Miakatsu was different. “That’s fine I’ll see you guys back at the manor.” Not waiting for response Miakatsu picked up his speed leaving the other two alone.

Kaisuke made sure Haiake was asleep before turning his attention to Tozouku. “I wasn’t kidding when I asked if you think he’s ready. I saw him from afar. He looked really shaken up.”

Tozouku sighed. “Kaisuke you were the same way on your first mission so you have no room to talk. But you have been with me the longest that’s why I want you to keep an eye on him like you did Miakatsu when he joined us.”

Kaisuke only nodded. “I can do that. But Tozouku why do you think those two can’t get along? They’re both vampires they’re both white-eyed and they both have an ego bigger than the hungriest vampire’s appetite.”

“Exactly. They can’t get alone because they have too much in common. They say opposites attract. Obviously these two aren’t opposites so the result is obvious.” Tozouku started.

“Well I just hope for both their sakes they find some neutral ground. One of these days I fear they may do something the will both regret.” Kaisuke muttered.

Tozouku said nothing to that knowing no words need be spoken. He knew Kaisuke was right. If Miakatsu and Haiake didn’t learn to get along the results could indeed be dangerous for all of their kind.

• Like 9

Love it was totally entranced ! I like story's that keep you interested from the start . And this one drew me in and then :( it was done.

I need more please !

Chapter 2

Miakatsu reached over to flip off his alarm seconds before the device was due to chime his morning wake up call. Just like every other morning he had set it a half an hour before everyone else would even think of waking up. He quickly glanced over his unwanted roommate to see Haiake sound asleep.

Perfect. He’d be able to slip out without being noticed.

Pushing the covers off the vampire slipped into his house shoes and pulled on his black satin robe. He lit the candle on his bedside table and quietly slipped out of the room before making his way down the hall towards the back staircase.

“You’re up a little early don’t you think?”

Miakatsu froze in mid-step. He never expected someone else to be awake at this hour, specifically Kaisuke. “You shouldn’t be talking. Why aren’t you in bed? You have class and a mission tonight don’t you?” He turned around to see the black-haired vampire dressed only in sleep pants.

Kaisuke leaned against the hallway wall and folded his arms in front of his bare chest. His sapphire eyes seemed to flow in the fading moonlight. “I was on my way downstairs to get something to drink. So I have a legitimate excuse for being up. Besides I don’t have to be in class till this afternoon.” He glanced around before focusing on the other vampire. “What about you? What are you doing up?”

“I couldn’t sleep.” It was the first excuse that flew in to his mind and out of his mouth.

“Is everything okay?” Kaisuke asked worriedly. “The last time you couldn’t sleep a fever followed. You hadn’t fed properly. I hadn’t seen Tozouku that scared or worried before in my life.”

Miakatsu winced at the memory. When he had first joined the Blood Knights, he had been turned only months prior. After running away from his so-called family he had wound up in a deserted alley. His thirst for blood was overwhelming and it nearly killed him. It could only be described as a miracle that Tozouku’s mission had been cancelled because the older vampire had found him and saved him. “I’m fine just a rough night is all. Don’t worry I’m not planning on making an idiotic mistake like that again.”

“I wouldn’t really consider it a mistake, you didn’t know what you were doing.” Kaisuke admitted freely. “When we’re first turned we’re no better off then feral animals.”

“Kaisuke’s right you know.” Tozouku said as he approached the other two. “Miakatsu, Kaisuke is everything all right?”

Kaisuke cleared his throat. “Everything’s fine. I was just heading back to my room when I ran into Miakatsu.”

Tozouku nodded. “I see.” He turned his attention to Miakatsu.

Miakatsu sighed. “I was planning on going up to the roof. I want to watch the sunrise again.” There was no point in beating around the bush when it came to Tozouku. He would have found out sooner or later. “Besides it’s not that early.”

“The sunrise? You really should get more rest. You don’t have any missions but I’m sure it will-“ he stopped when he caught Miakatsu’s last word. “Again? What do you mean again?”

“I’ve been watching the dawn for quite some time now.” Miakatsu answered glancing towards the window. “It often calms me; especially if I’ve had a tough night and I will put last night under the ‘tough category without any hesitation.”

“I see.” Tozouku nodded placing a hand on the young vampire’s shoulder. “Well if you still wish to witness that welcoming sight you still have time. In fact I believe I will join you.”

“Me too.” Kaisuke spoke up. “I don’t think I’ll be able to go back to sleep even if I wanted to.” He looked behind him. “Think we should see if Haiake would like to join us as well?”

Miakatsu winced at the mentioning of the other vampire’s name and was about to protest. Tozouku beat him to it.

“No he needs his rest. I’ve noticed he hasn’t been feeding that much lately and to be honest it’s worrying me.” Tozouku said leading the others up the stairs. “That reminds me I must speak to the Chief about a new supply. We’re running low again.” He muttered to himself more than to the other two.

Miakatsu scoffed, “Like I said; careless. You know if that guy didn’t have us around he’d forget how to act like a normal vampire.”

Tozouku stopped in his tracks. “A normal vampire?” he turned around and looked down at the shorter vampire. “I’m curious Miakatsu. Would I be too bold in asking what your definition of a normal vampire is?”

“Well I uh-“ Miakatsu then spent the next few seconds, mouth opened with no words exiting.

Tozouku glared. “That’s what I thought,” He responded before smiling seconds later. “I’m pulling your leg Miakatsu. Calm down. We need to hurry if we want to catch the sunrise.” Silently he climbed the remaining stairs and headed towards the attic door. “Hurry up the sun won’t wait for anyone.”

Miakatsu hesitated before allowing himself to relax. None of them knew when Tozouku was acting or being serious so he wasn’t taking any chances. “Coming.” He headed up the stairs with Kaisuke trailing close behind.

“Hey Miakatsu, next time you decide to sneak up here try not to be so obvious.” Kaisuke suggested. “I’ve heard you walk past my room nearly every morning for the past two weeks. I will admit though it was coincidence that I met you in the hallway.”

“Well if what was bothering you why didn’t you ever say anything or try to stop me?” Miakatsu asked. He glanced up when he heard the trapdoor to the roof creak open.

Kaisuke shrugged as he climbed up the ladder and through the door. “I never said it did bother me. But unless you want to enjoy your following mornings like this I’m saying you should ‘watch your step’ from now on.”

“Hurry up you two.” Tozouku said as he reached out his hand to help Kaisuke up then Miakatsu after. Once all three of them were on the roof they looked towards the east in time to see the beginning shades of violet and red cascade across the horizon.

Kaisuke stayed silent for a few minutes before letting out a low wolf whistle. “That is quite a sight, definitely and eye-opener.”

Tozouku nodded. “I agree; quite a calming welcoming sight. I see why you have developed this into a habit Miakatsu.”

Miakatsu didn’t answer. His eyes were focused only on the developing light in the distance.

“He’s gone.” Kaisuke pointed out chuckling lightly.

“I believe your right.” Tozouku agreed quietly. “Come let’s let him be for now. We’ll head downstairs, I want to check up on Haiake.”

Kaisuke nodded following the older vampire down the ladder and back into the attic. “Tozouku?”

• Like 5

Tozouku didn’t bother to turn around as he headed for the staircase. “Yes?”

“About that big mission mentioned last night, do you know anything about it? Any details?”

Tozouku did stop at that but didn’t turn around. “No. But I have a meeting with the Chief today. He and I are to discuss the details of it then.” He glanced over his shoulder. “Why do you ask?”

Kaisuke folded his hand behind his back. “No reason.”

Tozouku wasn’t buying it. “Don’t give me that Kaisuke.” He turned around his emerald eyes glowing. “You know better than to keep secrets from me.”

Kaisuke looked away not wanting to confirm the location of the other vampire’s gaze. “’Well Miakatsu seemed pretty upset about it. I was just wondering if you knew why.”

Tozouku continued to look at Kaisuke for several more seconds before allowing his eyes to return to normal. “I’m not sure about that myself. As far as I know Miakatsu has never once had a complaint about a mission. You all three know if you aren’t up to it for good reason you don’t have to go.”

Kaisuke shrugged. “Maybe he wants one Friday night back.”

Tozouku eyed the other vampire quizzically. “What do you mean by that?”

“Well Haiake and Miakatsu are high school students; seniors to be exact.” Kaisuke pointed out. “Most high school students often enjoy parties and hanging out with friends on Friday nights.”

“But Miakatsu doesn’t have many friends.” Tozouku protested. “At least not to my knowledge.”

“It’s true my list of friends is smaller than Haiake’s intelligence level.” Miakatsu said as he climbed down the ladder. “But trust me Kaisuke that’s not the reason I’m not looking forward to the big mission.”

Kaisuke folded his arms in front of chest. “Enlighten us then, Miakatsu.”

Miakatsu glared at the older vampire as he walked passed him. “I have my reasons and not one of them I consider any of your business.” Not waiting for a response he headed down the stairs leaving the other two with questioning looks.

Kaisuke’s mouth opened and closed a few times before he looked at Tozouku. “Are you really just going to let him-“

“I think it’s best if we leave Miakatsu to himself for a while.” Tozouku spoke up cutting the other vampire off. “I know he’s had it rough these past few weeks. I only wish I knew what was bothering him.”

Recovered, Kaisuke placed a reassuring hand on the older vampire’s shoulder. “He’ll talk to you when the time is right; he always does.” Seconds later he let out a yawn. “I think I’ll go take a nap before class.”

Tozouku chuckled before leading Kaisuke down the stairs. “I’m going to check on Haiake then start on breakfast. I’m guessing you’ll pass?”

Kaisuke covered his mouth to mask his next yawn. “Save me a plate if you can.”

Tozouku only chuckled more in return as he made his way towards Haiake’s and Miakatsu’s shared room. He hesitated before entering hoping that Miakatsu would have decided to avoid the other vampire this morning. The room appeared to be void of any presence of the dark blonde vampire so he quietly shut the door and approached Haiake’s bed. He reached to feel the youngest vampire’s forehead to check for fever. Before he could reach it he was greeted with a hand grasping his wrist.

“Don’t even think about-“ Haiake started cutting himself off when he realized whose wrist he was holding. “Oh Tozouku, what are you doing here? I thought you were Miakatsu.”

Tozouku cleared his throat and looked at Haiake’s hand. “Are you going to let me go?”

Haiake looked at his hand as well before letting go of the older vampire’s wrist and looking away. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean I-“ he bit his lip.

Tozouku gripped Haiake’s chin and gently pulled down. “You need to stop that.” He released his grip seconds later.

Haiake nodded in return. “I’m sorry.” Several moments of silenced followed before the youngest vampire grew curious. “You never answered my question Tozouku. ‘What are you doing here?”

Tozouku took a seat on the edge of the bed. “Considering you were pretty weak last night from lack of blood I figured I should check up on you first thing in the morning before I made breakfast. Are you feeling all right?”

Haiake thought back to the previous evening and remembered how he had collapsed right after his mock mission and fallen asleep on Tozouku’s back. “Yes I think I am.”

“You collapsed because you haven’t been feeding properly.” Tozouku pointed out. “Care to share your reason?”

Haiake looked away for several moments before sighing. “You said our supply was low. I figured I should take only what I deserve. I haven’t done any of the missions so I consider the amount I should fed on to be lower then the others.”

Tozouku looked down at Haiake for several moments before busting out laughing. After a few moments he recovered. “What could have possibly put an idea like that in your head? You deserve the same amount of blood as all of us. You don’t have to earn your keep Haiake, I told you that before.”

Haiake sighed. “But I-“

“Haiake trust me, all I want is to protect other vampires like me.” Tozouku said. “I’m glad I found you and I don’t want you to think otherwise.”

Haiake’s head perked up. “How did you know I-“

Tozouku put an arm around the younger vampire and pulled him close planting a gentle kiss on top of his head. “You’re really easy for me to read.” He stood up and stretched glancing over his shoulder. “Now do you think you’re up to going to school today then the recon mission with Kaisuke tonight?”

Haiake stood up as well taking it slow. “Yeah as long as I feed a little I’m pretty sure I can pull through for the day.” He walked over to his wardrobe. “Where’s Miakatsu?”

Tozouku was on his way out the door. “I’m not sure myself but if you two want to avoid confrontation I suggest you get dressed in a hurry. He still needs to get dressed himself.” He opened the door and looked behind him. “Don’t worry this is your last week of punishment. You can return to your own room on Friday.”

Haiake nodded in response watching the older vampire leave before reaching into his wardrobe and pulling out his robe. He shut the door hard with a bang since the latch was being a pain again then headed to his own room to change for the day.

Miakatsu watched from around the corner as Haiake left their temporary shared room. Once the coast was clear he headed into the room and shut it, locking it securely. “Finally I thought he would never leave.” Heading to his wardrobe the blonde vampire selected his clothing attire for the day and gathered the items before heading into the shower.

Tozouku finished setting the table and went into the fridge to get their ‘beverage’ before heading up the stairs to check up on Miakatsu and Haiake. Stopping in front their door he knocked before entering. “Are you two ready yet?”

Miakatsu looked up from his bed. His attire that day certainly suited his earlier mood, a pair of dark jeans and a crimson turtleneck shirt. “Oh Tozouku, is breakfast ready?”

“Yes.” Tozouku answered. “I assume Haiake is still in his room?”

Miakatsu shrugged as he leaned back against his bed allowing is head to land right smack on the pillow. “Beats me. I’m not that idiot’s babysitter so I’m not sure where he is.”

Tozouku rolled his eyes in response. “Just get downstairs before the food gets cold. I made pancakes this time with plenty of strawberries and cream. Just the way you like them.”

Miakatsu’s head shot up and a smile suddenly appeared on his face. “That’s what I’m talking about!” without warning he rushed out of the room and headed down the stairs taking them two at a time.

Tozouku only smiled as he watched the younger vampire leave. “One down, one to go.” He left the room closing the door behind him and walked across the hall and two doors down. He knocked before slowly opening the door. “Haiake?” He was answered by the sound of the shower running from the bathroom. Tozouku walked over. “Haiake breakfast is ready. Feel free to come down and join us when you’re finished.”

Haiake peaked his head out from behind the shower curtain his hair filled with suds. “Okay what did you make?”

“Pancakes with strawberries and cream or syrup; your choice plus a glass of blood for the day.” Tozouku answered. “Be careful you’ll get soap in your eyes.”

Haiake smiled before stepping back into the shower and underneath the running water. Shutting his eyes and allowing the water to cascade down his body, the young vampire felt the soap and suds wash off. “I’ll be done in a few minutes Tozouku. Can you make sure Miakatsu doesn’t take all the food and drink? I don’t trust him.”

Tozouku leaned against the wall. “I’m guessing that’s never going to change.”

• Like 5

“What?”

“Your trust issues towards Miakatsu.”

Haiake shut off the water. “Oh that.” He reached through the curtain to grab his towel and stepped out after wrapping the cloth around his waist. “I’m going to get dressed then I’ll be down okay?”

Tozouku smiled. “All right we’ll see you in a few minutes I hope.” With that he left the room and headed downstairs. When he entered the dining room he was greeted by a sudden embrace that nearly knocking him off his feet. “Whoa what!”

Miakatsu looked up at Tozouku all smiles. “These pancakes are great! You’ve outdone yourself Tozouku!”

Tozouku returned the embrace wrapping his arms around the younger vampire’s torso. He looked over at the table. “ I’m hoping you saved some for the me and the others.”

Miakatsu backed up and allowed a pout to develop on his face. “You cut me to the quick.” He walked back over to his seat and sipped some of the blood set out in a crystal clear goblet. He tilted his head back and allowed the nourishing liquid to slid down his throat his eyes glazing red. Minutes later he looked over at Tozouku. “Delicious.”

Tozouku chuckled. “I’m glad you enjoyed it.” He turned around when he heard Haiake coming down the stairs. “Nice of you to join us.”

Haiake nodded as he made his way over to the table and sat down. He looked over at Miakatsu and nodded. “Morning.”

Miakatsu glanced up quick. “Morning.” He took another sip from his goblet before draining the glass altogether.

Haiake inhaled and felt his hunger grow before reaching out for his own goblet. He looked over to see Tozouku holding his own goblet after having refilled Miakatsu.

“Cheers.”

All three drained their glasses and tilted their heads back allowing the blood to slide down their throat.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3

“On time again I see? You never cease to amaze me my friend. Please take a seat”

Tozouku looked across the table at a man concealed in shadow. He straightened his tie and took a seat in the provided brown leather chair. “Thank you.” Almost immediately a fair-sized manila envelope was put in front of him. “These are the details for the next case I assume?”

“Yes I believe your entire team will be required for this assignment.” The chief answered. “Would you care for any refreshment?”

Tozouku pulled out the forms from the envelope and quickly glanced them over. “Thank you but no. We had breakfast not too long ago.”

A tinkling of glass could be heard. “More for me then.”

Tozouku smiled before placing the forms back into the envelope. “Well as always it has been a pleasure. I will have Kaisuke and Haiake scout the area tonight.”

“Ah yes Haiake the newest member of your group.” The chief spoke up, “He has passed his mock test then?”

“Yes Mr. Vicont will be informing you with the details about how it all went.” Tozouku answered, “I shall review the details of the case at home.”

“Very well, I will see you next week.”

Tozouku stood up and took a hold of the envelope. “I will see myself out.” With that he turned heel and headed out the door. Once he knew he was away from everyone he looked at the envelope again and sighed, “Why does it have to be there?”

~~~~~~~~~~

“Hey Haiake wait up.”

Haiake turned to see one of his classmates whose name escaped him running towards him. “Hi.”

“Listen did you manage to get all notes from Mrs. Combie’s class? I fell asleep through the second half of her lecture and if I don’t pass with at least a ‘C’ I’ll-“

Haiake picked up his pace hoping to put some distance between him and the unwanted annoyance currently following. “And this concerns me how?”

“Well you’re one of the smartest people in our class, so I was wondering if you could tutor me.” The guy responded.

Haiake sighed deeply already knowing what was being asked of him. “I’m sorry but I’ll have to pass up on that tempting as it is.”

“I’ll pay you!”

Haiake didn’t even stop walking, “Try asking someone who can actually use the money and has the time. I don’t qualify for either reason. Besides you said I was one of the smartest not the smartest.” Not waiting for an answer he headed towards the back of the school stopping at the ladder to the roof where he knew Miakatsu would be waiting. He made sure no one was following him before climbing up. When he reached his destination he was greeted with a glare from the other vampire.

“It’s about damn time. I almost drank your portion too.” Miakatsu said tossing a black vial with silver ‘H’ embedded in it.

“Had you done that and you would have been making out with the concrete.” Haiake shot back catching the vial and sipping some of the contents. “I told Tozouku to let me handle the vials this week.”

Miakatsu drank from his own vial and felt his fangs retract back into his gums. “Kaisuke’s lucky he doesn’t have to sneak around like us.”

“Well he has been one longer then we have so he’s trained his hunger by now.” Haiake said. “I’m surprised you haven’t yet. You’ve been one for nearly 3 decades.”

“It’s not that easy. Kaisuke told me it took him almost fifty years to train his hunger. For Tozouku I think he said twenty. But with Tozouku that time frame doesn’t surprise me in the least.” Miakatsu responded looking down. “Almost entertaining aren’t they? None of them really knows what goes on after the sun goes down.”

Haiake looked down over the edge of the school building. “True. Most think they live in a city with no worries.” He drank the rest from his vial and pulled out a compact mirror. After making sure his fangs were not visible he checked his lips to make sure no blood was lingering either. “Well lunch is almost over I need to get to class.”

“I’m going to stay up here a little longer.” Miakatsu admitted taking a seat on the ledge.

Haiake only nodded before heading back down the ladder and into the classroom. It was considered a rare occurrence when Miakatsu didn’t have a reason to argue with him so he was going to enjoy the peace and quiet while he could.

Miakatsu had decided to do the same. Usually the two of them found something to bicker about but surprisingly today no reason came into the light for the two of them to do so. Minutes later the young vampire climbed off the roof and headed to his own class.

• Like 3

Tozouku entered the manor and headed upstairs to Kaisuke’s room knowing full well the other vampire would still be sound asleep. He lightly knocked before entering and found Kaisuke surprisingly awake. “This must be a first. I usually have to push you out of bed before you even consider waking up.”

Kaisuke rolled his eyes. “I was anxious about that new case. Did you talk to chief?”

Tozouku tossed the manila envelope on Kaisuke’s bedside table. “It’s all in there. But I’m not sure you will be satisfied with the location.”

Unsure of what his senior meant Kaisuke opened the envelope and pulled out the contents. After looking it over he bit into his lip with his fang drawing blood. “I think you mean Haiake’s not going to like it.”

Tozouku shoved his hands in his pockets and turned towards the window. “I’m starting to wonder if I should let him sit this one out again. Going back to that place this soon may not be the best thing for him.”

“But if Haiake is ready he will be able to prove it by going back.” Kaisuke pointed out. “I think you should ask him about it when he and Miakatsu get back from school.”

“Speaking of school don’t you have class today?” Tozouku asked.

“Cancelled, the professor isn’t going to be there so no point in going in today.” Kaisuke answered falling back on his bed. Seconds later he chuckled lightly under his breath, “You know when I was first turned I was worried I would have to sleep in a coffin.”

Tozouku chuckled as well. “You are claustrophobic aren’t you?”

Kaisuke nodded. “Yes I am. So when you brought me here I was glad you had given me a room that was so spacious.”

“Well I want all of you to live comfortably.” Tozouku admitted. He looked down at the envelope. “I think I shall start preparing dinner.”

“Already? Mia and Haia aren’t going to be back from school for another hour or so.” Kaisuke said.

Tozouku chuckled. “You know if those two heard you call them that-“

“I know I know I’d be dead.” Kaisuke answered smiling. “Well they are like my little brother’s so I have a right to tease them behind their backs if I want.”

“Teasing is fine as long as it doesn’t get out of hand in any way.” Tozouku said heading towards the door.

“I know my limits Tozo.” Kaisuke said falling back against his bed. Seconds later he felt a hand grasped around his neck.

Tozouku had turned around and grabbed the other vampire by the neck and held him back against the bed. “How many times have I told you NOT to call me that?”

Kaisuke’s eyes widened. “Sorry.” He gasped out.

Tozouku loosened his grip. “You’ll better learn not to cross me like that again.” He pulled away and started walking away only to stop seconds later. “I’m sorry Kaisuke.”

Kaisuke sat up and took a second to catch his breath. “No I provoked you, so I’m the one to blame. Forgiven?”

Tozouku smiled, “Forgiven and forgotten. Just don’t do anything like that again okay?”

“No worries.” Kaisuke reached over and picked envelope again. “Well whether or not you decide Haiake should go with me, I want to go over the details.”

“Go right ahead. I need something to keep you out of trouble until dinner’s ready. Tozouku said.

“Does that mean I get to cause trouble during dinner?” Kaisuke asked not looking up from the files.

Tozouku shook his head. “I’m not going to answer that.” He walked out the door and headed down to the kitchen.

“Haiake wait up!”

Haiake turned around to see the same guy from earlier and groaned. “We’ve got a tag along.”

Miakatsu looked over his shoulder as well. “He called for you, he’s you’re problem. I’m going on a head.” Picking up his pace he left Haiake deserted.

Haiake glared at Miakatsu before picking up his own pace in hopes to lose his unwanted shadow.

“Haiake come on man I need your help.”

“Well call me selfish but I don’t want to help you.” Haiake responded. “I don’t even know who you are.”

“Well my name is Tio.” The boy answered still running after him. “Now that you know my name will you help me?”

Haiake stopped in his tracks and turned around. “My answer is no, if you ask me to help you in five minutes my answer would be no if you ask me tomorrow my answer will be no. No, no, no, no, no. So please just leave me alone.”

Tio stepped back. “Why won’t you help me?”

“That isn’t your concern. Now I told you earlier there are other people who could help you.” Haiake said. “Now I’d appreciate it if you turn your request for a tutor to one of them.” Not waiting for an answer he turned the corner and ran as fast as he could turning another corner getting out of sight just as Tio ran past. Once he was sure the coast was clear Haiake headed towards the manor. When he reached the main gate he was surprised to find Kaisuke waiting for him.

“It’s about time you got back. Miakatsu’s been here for nearly 20 minutes. You know Tozouku’s rules. The two of you are supposed to leave here together and return together.” Kaisuke pointed out.

Haiake folded his arms in front of his chest. “Don’t blame me, Miakatsu’s the one who took off.” He followed Kaisuke into the manor.

“That’s because you had a shadow and you know we’re not allowed to have shadows following us.” Miakatsu explained.

“A shadow you say?” Tozouku asked having walked out of the kitchen attired in a white apron. “I am hoping you lost said shadow.”

“Yes I lost him. It wasn’t easy though. He was very insisting I help him by tutoring him.” Haiake answered.

“Do you think he’ll leave you alone?” Kaisuke asked.

“He should, I gave him an answer that should have been easy for even his limited mind to understand.” Haiake responded walking into the kitchen.

“What is your mind set at?” Tozouku asked.

“Right where it should be.” Haiake answered. “ Just let me know what I need to do.”

“Good, because as soon as the sun goes down you and I will be going to Corgicha Park.”

“Di-did you say Corgicha Park?” Haiake turned around, his face completely white.

“Corgicha Park?” Miakatsu asked. “Why does that sound so familiar?”

“That is where you found Haiake one year ago remember?” Tozouku explained before turning his attention to Kaisuke. “I thought you were going to wait until after dinner?”

“He had to know the location now so he could ponder over dinner whether or not he was going to go with me.” Kaisuke explained. He Tozouku and Miakatsu turned to look at the youngest vampire and waited for him to answer.

“I need some time to think it over if I can.” Haiake requested. “May I go to my room to be alone?”

Tozouku smiled warmly and placed a hand on the younger man’s shoulder. “Of course you can. This will be a hard decision to make. Besides dinner isn’t quite ready yet, another 30 minutes at the most. But feel free to come downstairs when you’re ready.”

Haiake nodded in return before walking up the stairs. Once he reached his and Miakatsu’s shared room he quickly changed out of his school uniform into a pair of jeans and a green shirt before throwing himself against the bed. He had to think.

Miakatsu watched his temporary roommate disappear down the hall before turning his attention to Tozouku. “If he’s going to be in our room may I use your office to do my homework?”

Tozouku nodded, “But of course. Just be aware of your surroundings.”

Miakatsu smiled briefly. “I know not to touch your things. Thank you.” With that he picked up his bag and walked up the stairs.

Tozouku turned to look at Kaisuke. “Is it just me or was something lacking between those two?”

“They didn’t bicker once.” Kaisuke responded leaning against the stair banister. “I would almost consider it a blessing but you know for a fact they’re just having an off day.”

Tozouku nodded as he headed back towards the kitchen. “True, very, very true.” He pushed on the swinging door. “But let’s enjoy the peace while we can. We know not how long it’s going to last. Go wash up, dinner will be ready soon.”

Kaisuke chuckled as he headed up the stairs to his own room.

• Like 3

Haiake stared up at the ceiling pinpointing certain patterns in the paint. With his sight he could easily pinpoint where the brushstrokes had started and stopped. He noticed one of the strokes was shorter then the others. But that was the least of his worries. He had to decide whether or not he was going to return to that place.

The decision was one of the hardest he had ever had to make. Corgicha Park was the one place in the world that held the harshest memories for him. He didn’t even think he could handle allowing the mere thought of that place to cross his mind. Now he was trying to decide whether or not he was ready to go back there. Before he could let another thought to cross his mind he heard the door open.

Miakatsu stepped in but avoided eye contact with the other occupant. “Don’t mind me, I’m just changing out of my uniform and I’ll leave.”

Haiake only shrugged. “It’s your room too, I didn’t mean to take the room for myself.”

Miakatsu didn’t turn around. “Like I said I’ll be out in a minute.” He turned around to see the other vampire white as a sheet. “Are you really that scared of that place?”

Haiake nodded. “Call me pathetic if you want.” He rolled over onto his stomach and buried his face in his pillow and let out a loud scream.

Miakatsu didn’t even acknowledge the scream and walked into the bathroom having gathered his clothes. Minutes later he walked back out headed towards the hallway. “Oh Tozouku told me to tell you to wash up for dinner and come downstairs.” He stopped and leaned against the doorframe. “Look I don’t what it is that bothers you so much about this place but keep in mind you won’t be going back there alone. Think about that.” Not waiting of an answer the blonde exited the room.

Haiake stood up and walked into the bathroom where he splashed some cold water on his face. After studying his reflection for several seconds he decided he looked presentable and headed out of the room and down the stairs.

Tozouku looked up when he heard the swinging door open. He smiled, “Ah Haiake, I didn’t think you would be joining us.”

“Yeah Miakatsu told us that you seemed pretty upset when he saw you earlier.” Kaisuke pointed out. He looked around. “By the way where is Miakatsu?”

“He told me he’s finishing up his homework in my office.” Tozouku answered setting the last dish on the table. “Will one of you go and fetch him?”

Haiake nodded. “I’ll go and get him.” He turned heel and headed back up the stairs. Once he reached the office he opened the door not bothering to knock. “Hey get downstairs chow time.”

Miakatsu glared at the other vampire. “I’ll go downstairs when I damn well please.”

Haiake leaned against the doorframe. “Ah good you’re back to normal.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Miakatsu demanded standing up fast.

“Well you tried to help me earlier and well, coming from you that’s just weird.” Haiake explained. “Now that you’re giving me attitude I can breathe freely again.”

Miakatsu shook his head. “I wasn’t in the mood to argue.”

“Neither was I. But I think we better start up our usual behavior otherwise we may worry Tozouku.” Haiake said pushing himself away from the doorframe. “You know he’ll question it if we aren’t at each other throats.”

“Well I have yet to learn of a reason I should freely get along with you unless I have to.” Miakatsu responded.

“I think that’s another thing you and I can agree on.” Haiake said smiling briefly. “Come on let’s get downstairs before Tozouku sends Kaisuke with a search party.”

Miakatsu nodded and followed the other vampire down the stairs. The two of them entered the dining room and sat down at the table just as Tozouku walked out of the kitchen with a pitcher of blood. Once all the goblets were filled the four vampires sat down to their meal.

Halfway though the meal Kaisuke turned his attention to Haiake. “So have you decided whether or not you wish to join me on the recon assignment?”

Tozouku reached over to silence him but was stopped by Haiake himself.

“I gave it a lot of thought and decided that yes I will go with you.”

Tozouku placed a hand on the youngest vampire’s shoulder. “You’re sure Haiake?”

Miakatsu and Kaisuke looked at him is well, all waiting for an answer.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

The thought of just wondering what might of scared so much that he doesn't want to go to the park, has me so interested in the next hapter . I thought it so funny how Haiake lost his shadow, Tio. He sure did set him straight.