10 Weird Food Delicacies from Asia

Key

Asia is well-known for its colorful and interesting cuisine. It’s a fact that if you have a meal in an Asian country you’ll be surprised, most often in a positive way…

Being in love with Asian food, I’ve researched about Asian cuisine, from recipes to spices, but sometimes I’ve came across things I’m not sure I’d eat.

Now, even if most of us find them disgusting, all the foods listed below are considered delicacies. Up to you to decide if you’d have the guts to try them. ;D

10. Century eggs, China

You might think these eggs are 100 years old, but no, their name is a bit misleading. ;D However, they are stored in a salty solution for a few months, just enough to turn the yolk almost black and the white dark brown.

centuryeggs_zps5ce9be44.jpg

9. Fried tarantula, Cambodia

If you have arachnophobia, you’d better look away now. During the years of terror under the Khmer Rogue (a communist party which is considered to have orchestrated the Cambodian Genocide – a 4-year period when over 2 million people lost their lives due to executions, starvation and forced labor), people began eating anything they could get their hands on, spiders making no exception. However, it seems Cambodians have developed a taste for tarantulas, as the huge spiders are heavily consumed even these days, more than 30 years after the regime changed. Actually they are considered a delicacy, being described as having a delicate meat, tasting like a cross between chicken and fish and served with a lime and black pepper dip.

tarantula_zps5924d26b.jpg

8. Habu Sake, Japan, South-east Asia

It’s not really a food, but still worth mentioning. Also called Habushu or Okinawan Snake Wine, Habu Sake is a Japanese beverage that can either be made by submerging a venemous snake in rice wine and seal the bottle, thus drowning the snake or by mixing snake blood with the alcohol.

Habu sake is believed to have medicinal properties, as well as a positive effect on the male libido. Habu snakes are known for being able to mate for as long as 26 hours at a time, which causes some people to believe that drinking Habu Sake may help sexual dysfunction in men.

habusake_zps47459523.jpg

7. Fugu, Japan

One of Japan’s most famous dishes is the fugu (putterfish), which is very dangerous due to its high tetrodotoxin content, which paralyzes the muscles so the victim, though fully conscious, is unable to breathe and eventually dies from asphyxiation. Since fugu is lethal if its toxic parts (the organs and the eyes) aren’t correctly removed, this dish is served strictly in licensed restaurants.

fugu_zps9628a2db.jpg

6. Shiokara, Japan

Shiokara is a Japanese dish made from small pieces of marine animals such as squid, which are fermented in their own viscera (basically a paste of the animal’s organs). The taste is pretty similar to that of cured anchovies. It doesn’t come as a surprise that it’s most often gulped down and followed by a shot of whiskey.

shiokara_zpse7eea807.jpg

5. Beondegi, Korea

Beondegi literally means ‘pupa’ in Korean. The dish consists of boiled or steamed silkworm pupae which are traditionally served as a snack inKorea. Being one of the most popular snacks, beondegi is found basically everywhere inKorea, from markets to restaurants, so if you’re tempted in trying it, you won’t have troubles finding a fresh share of beondegi.

Silkworm_zpsd0f5e517.jpg

4. Tuna Eyes, Japan

If you can handle your food staring back at you, eating tuna eyes might be an option to consider. Apparently it tastes pretty much like squid and the eyeball comes surrounded by fish fat. Some prefer to eat it raw, others would rather have it cooked. To cook, you just boil or steam and season to taste, generally with soy sauce and garlic.

tunaeyes_zpse6d66283.jpg

3. Shirako, Japan

This slippery, soft, white creamy blob is a popular winter delicacy inJapan. Shirako, which literally means ‘white children’, is actually cod milt (a fancier word for fish sperm). Shirako is served in winter because the sack must contain sperm and fish seminal fluids are in season during winter. Despite the fact that it doesn’t look very appetizing, the cod fish sperm sack is said to melt in your mouth just like butter and it is compared to pig brains, but with a lighter texture. It can be eaten both raw and cooked. Which way tempts you more?

Shirako_zpsfb1cec45.jpg

2. Sannakji, Korea

Sannakji is a traditional Korean hoe (raw dish). The octopus is cut into small pieces and served while the tentacles are still moving, with a spinkle of sesame and sesame oil. So, if you fancy trying a food that is squirming when you eat it, Sannakji is definitely for you.

Since the fact that the food actually moves is the odd thing about this dish, it would make no sense to post a static picture, so, here is a short video so you can get the idea.

1. Balut, Philippines

If the century eggs didn’t seem appealing enough, maybe you’ll get tempted in trying Balut (also called Balot), which is a fertilized duck or chicken egg, boiled in the shell.

It doesn’t exactly look inviting as the semi-developed chicken/duck is already visibly formed. However, the Balut is very popular throughout the Phillipines and it’s believed to be an aphrodisiac. Don’t ask me why.

balut_zpsec1dd17d.jpg

So which of these weird food delicacies you’d most probably try and which would be the last on your list?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OnyxAriezz

• Miss Blank

• Key

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Very interesting article! I don't know what I would eat from that list! Maybe the fugu? :_red_fox 14

I wouldn't mind having fugu either. If the cook would mess up and I'd get poisoned I'd haunt him forever XD Maybe I'd try tarantula followed by a shot of habu sake as well ;D

:leaf5: I'm laughing so much. I think the cook would be very unlucky if he/she would mess your fugu. I think I would panik after every single bite. :_red_fox 14

Don't know if there's a ranking, but I think fried tarantula is weirder than balut tbh. And me being a Filipino has nothing to do with it. Between eating a fowl's egg and eating a fried arthropod, choosing the former seems a lot more normal to me.

It's not an 'official' ranking, it's just my personal opinion. I'd rather eat a tarantula (which they say it tastes like chicken-fish) than a half-developed chicken or duck that I have no idea how it might taste or smell. I can't even imagine the texture it might have. XD I think it's just a culture difference, Asians might find it normal, while we (Europeans) perceive it as an oddity. I'd actually be curious to try all the dishes I listed, just that I might go blank when seeing some of them in my plate. (:

I like how it looks no. 6. Shiokara. It looks yummy looooooooool

Like Riko San said, balut doesn't really taste like chicken or duck meat as one would expect. I don't know how to describe the underdeveloped duckling meat. i guess that closest description I can come up with is that "it does not taste fresh."

I can probably eat a tarantula as long as if was served not resembling one. Oh and I shouldn't be told what it is before I eat.

Yeah, it would definitely be easier to eat a tarantula if it wouldn't look exactly like a spider XD But if you think about the fact that it is actually a 'relative' of crab, it's not so bad ;D

Interesting article... weird food indeed XD . I think I would only be able to try fugu, the other dishes aren't appealing at all to me but I really admire ppl who's able to eat those things, mainly the shirako.. >__

Looool, I think I'd rather eat the silkworm pupa than the shirako, though I'd die of starvation if I went to a restaurant whose only dishes are the ones you mentioned XDDDD

Those dishes are for brave crazy ppl :p

@

I'm actually curious on how a tarantula tastes, chicken and fish aren't bad at all, so I'd give it a go. I'm actually tempted to try sneak meat, but they use it in wine, so I'd try that one too XD

Oh, they also have this baby mice wine in China, but it's kinda way too disgusting for me to try it.

Open the spoiler at your own risk LOL

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

I'd eat fugu, shikara bcoz I like squid lol and beondegi too :D I'm curious how pupae taste lol they look kinda good in that picture :p

It can taste like chicken, it can taste like fish but it's a spider what you're eating so.. no?

Lool.. I'd have to be already drunk to drink the snake wine, though I'v drunk tequila with worm inside, but still.. I need to lose some senses to taste the snake...

O___o what the??? lool.. who can drink wine with mice.... I'm speechless, looooool.. really.. and I was telling a co-worker today that ppl who eat mutton's head are crazy XDDD if she knew!

ive eaten something really similar to century eggs and the Shirako they taste good. Would love to try the habu Sake. Ive eaten snake but not drunk it lol.

Ive seen my korean friends eat the octopus that looks so wrong ha ha.

Would love to try Shiokara

i've always loved eating balut here in philippines :D tastes just something i liked for some reason, and the rest.. umm i think i can't eat any of those o_o shirako waa weird ..

Great article!

Lol it's hard for me to make a top. I'm still thinking.. I don't think I could eat the fugu. I think I would be too panicked the next bite will be my last one. XD

Thank you for this interesting article...

I'd like to present some WEIRD menus which some Thai people can eat, too...

thetrippacker_bkk_samphraeng_n_017_c.jpg

Pig's brain soup...

Some say it's good fat for human being...

I don't like entrails, so I don't know what it's like...

DSCF1430.JPG

In the picture, it's Toad!

It's poisonous but it's challenging for food lovers in my country...

Especially drunken men...

I think the way to take out the poisonous cords maybe hard to do as Fugu fish of Japanese recipe...

I never try the toad meat.. only frog meat, I did :)

07024s_copy.jpg

And this menu....

Can you guess WHAT inside that chili paste?

:D

TADPOLES!!!!

My friends who live in the north & northeast say that it's juicy and sticky while chewing....

I never try it~~~~~

catsahan4.jpg

The white ones on top is Red ants's eggs...

I tried twice...

Sour taste and juicy for me....

It costs more expensive than pork or chicken!!!

And deep fried insects are really popular in my country, too!

Crickets, silk worms, grasshoppers, scorpions or bugs....

I like fried grasshoppers ^_^!

2012_09_23_194313_xh58o405.jpg

These are baby shrimps...

They are in spicy salad while they are still alive!

It tastes so good, so fresh and juicy....

Many time for me having this menu!

:D

Well the bloating fish is delicious as what my cousin said though it's very lethal if prepared wrongly.

I rather eat worms than eat balut. Srsly, your logic gin...

I asked my dad earlier if balut's tasty , he said yes and then no afterwards.

"The little water inside the shell is fine but the duck inside tastes awkward and at the same time delicious..." he said it in a puzzling face. And how am I supposed to trust his answer if his face was like that. th_111_.gif

I would eat all those in the list except those eyes. I swear, not those eyes. O_O

But all in all I want to try the century eggs, Habu sake and that fish 8D

Btw,

tol, your dad's right, trust his words lol I love balot,

though it's not really something for high blood pressured people.

I bet you won't ever want to look at it even.....

800px-Raw_ngapi.JPG

Ngapi (Burmese: ငပိ or ငါးပိ [ŋəpḭ], lit. 'compressed fish') is a generic term for pungent pastes made of either fish or shrimp in Myanmar. It is usually made from the fermentation of salted ground fish or shrimp, which is then sun dried. Ngapi is a main ingredient of Lower Burmese cooking, used as a condiment and additive in most dishes. Raw ngapi is not intended for direct consumption.

Interesting dishes you have there in your country. I don't know if I would eat the pig brain soup. XD

Your dad is funny. Not very convincing there :p

In that photo it looks like a muffin, but after I know what is made of, I don't think I would be tempted. XD

really ? Yeah he's so weird and his brows were furrowing so I tried to pry more but he flew from the scene. He hated the noisy me. But pre, eyes are delicious! You should taste one when you're eating a fish of soup and pluck the eye....not everything's edible though but it's soft.

Yeah, he's rather suspicious to look at and that's the reason I won't eat one. I asked him if the tiny feathers are edible too, he looked sidewards and said yes. like wtf? O_o 7f5341cc.gif