My Top 5 BL Drama So Far... What's Yours?

pokopori

I've recently gone on an Asian BL Drama rampage and watched a TON of them. Of the ones I'd seen (or tried to sit through), there were ones that I LOVED above all others. To highlight them for those that are overwhelmed with which ones to watch, I've listed my top 5.

Let me preface this post by saying I'm a fan of BL dramas that focus on deeper issues that have actual content rather than mindless fluff. They’re less 'cute' and more 'realistic' and have more ‘intimate’ acting and drama. Rather than ‘cute’ couples, I enjoy seeing intimacy between the actors that make me believe they’re really in love. We’re talking about small things like the way they hold hands, the way the hug, the way they kiss. I don’t like watching BL films where the actors are physically awkward around each other (such as when a kiss is clearly not a kiss… more like lips touching). Don't get me wrong, I'm a BIG fan of yaoi/shounen-ai manga and have been for a long time. But, it seems I have a hard time watching real-action versions of them.

That being said, here are my top 5 so far!

5. Takumi-kun 5: Ano, Hareta Aozora (Japanese)

I’m not gonna lie; Takumi-kun 1 was terrible to sit through. Sure the actors were cute but the acting was subpar and there was absolutely no intimacy between the actors. Takumi 2, however, was a pleasant surprise. Almost the entire cast was changed, and the acting suddenly got better. On-screen chemistry between the two main characters sky rocketed and kisses weren’t just a hidden thing anymore. Takumi 3, and 4 also proved to be awesome (with the same cast as Takumi 2) but Takumi 5 really took the cake in this series! The story was better (although 2 could give it a run for its money), and there were lots of kisses and intimacy in this one (early on too). I have now become an avid DaiMao fan (Watanabe Daisuke plays Gii and Hamao Kyousuke plays Takumi).

4. Permanent Residence (Hong Kong)

This one tells an amazing story of a gay man’s love for a straight man. It also deals with the topic of mortality and is definitely worth the time. Although there isn’t much reciprocated romantic love, you can understand that the straight man has deep feelings for the gay man. This story (at least the romantic part) is very similar to Eternal Summer.

3. Antique (Korean)

Funniest. Shit. EVAR. This one takes a spot simply because it was outrageously funny. The acting was top-class and the actors were hot, hot, HOT. Not that much BL going on but that’s not the main focus anyways. I’d read the manga and watched the anime years back. I finally got around to seeing this and it was definitely a top 5.

2. No Regrets (Korean)

You can’t help but love the main character in this one! Difficult circumstances put him in a business he didn’t want to be in. A white collar falls in love with him and pursues him to the corners of the Earth. The ending had me scratching my head a little bit but it was amusing non-the-less. I LOVED the intimacy between the actors onscreen. There was no shyness here.

1. Eternal Summer (Taiwanese)

The story of a childhood friendship changing into something undefined. I love the fact that it is left unclear whether there is mutual romantic interest, despite the AMAZING love scene. One clearly loves the other but the other still struggles with how he feels. All he knows is that he can’t live without the other. As a side note, probably one of the best love scenes I’ve ever come across in BL dramas, especially having watched the difficulties that they faced through the first half of the movie. My eyes were popping out of my head and my jaw was to the floor. I must’ve used an entire box of tissues to clean up the drool. The ending shot of them laying on top of each other killed it.

The ones I have seen other than the ones I've already mentioned are:

Bangkok Love Story

Love of Siam

Boy Meets Boy

Right By Me

Just Friends?

Life is Beautiful (drama)

Takumi-Kun Series

Love 100 Degrees

You Used to Smile That Way

I plan to see:

Amphetamine

Lan Yu

Like Grains of Sand

Pair of Love

REC

The King and the Clown

Do you have any recommendations for more BL dramas that I haven't mentioned yet? Again, I'm looking for intimacy between actors and good acting skills!

On the flip side, if you haven't seen the five I mentioned, please do! They're SO worth it!

• Like 5

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sloan

• pokopori

• Eerylin

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, Mine are about the same as yours..

5. Takumi Kun series: Pure

I really loved the chemistry between the two main actors in this, and as much of an attitude the semi (Misu) had, you couldn't help but root for him, Shingyouji just loved him THAT much! Compatibility A+

4. Antique I loved the actors, I love a good comedy, and the story was told is a creative way. I loved effects and editing in this movie Creativity A+

3. Forumla 17 Hilarious is an understatement! I laughed so hard watching this, and still find myself popping this into my Blu-ray player when I'm in need of a good laugh. Comedy A+

2. Eternal Summer Its just great! The ending was a bit confusing as to what he meant, It could be just the translation I saw. Overall Awesomeness A

1. No regrets The acting in this, The plot ( til the end anyways) all of it, blew my mind! I mean, The lady who played Jae-min's mother was to good at playing a B**ch! The women had all of 5 lines, and you hated her! The writing, the acting, everything really came together here. Overall Awesomeness A+

• Like 4

Haha sweet! I haven't fully seen Pure yet (I plan to).

I'm surprised to see Formula 17 on your list! I tried to watch it but I lost interest in it by the time the kid made it to the club (where he meets the super popular guy). I'll give it another go though since you gave it such an awesome rating!

I just watched Boys Love 2 yesterday. Acting isn't the best but the story was pretty interesting! If you haven't seen it already, I recommend it!

• Like 3

1. Takumi Kun series: Pure I love Daichan & Maokun but I don't know why this is the best of Takumi kun I chose.

2. Love Of Siam BL movie from my country.

3. Boys Love II Cool characters :)

4. Farewell To My Concubine. Nice one for me...

5. Curse of Golden Flower. So HOT :)

• Like 4

Most to least favorite. Let me see... I probably forgot some... or havent seen many yet. If this was to include GL, some would be bumped off :OOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fujimi Orchestra DUH! hahahaha...

Takumi Kun Series 4: Pure

No Regrets

Bangkok Love Story

Bishonen [Daniel Wu amuses me all the time, IDKW. This is a good classic. XD]

• Like 4

VERY NEW YAOI FANS,,and VERY FEW YAOI MOVIES that I've watched. Oh, also, all of it Japanese :p

Starts to grow loving yaoi after become Tenimyu fans, so all of yaoi movies that I've watched got Tenimyu actors in it :D

So this is my fav up until now^^

5. Takumi kun Series 2 Nijiiro no Glass

I LOVE the sad love story between Suzuki and Morita TvT

Mao still stiffed here, so the love scene didn't impress me. But to say, he and Daichan are still hold the role of Kikumaru and Tezuka when they made this movie, so maybe he still thinks Daichan as Buchou. And not to forget that this is Mao's first movie after all^^

4. Ai no Kotodama

I love the "naughty" kisses between Tachibana and Shinya^^ And the woman role here isn't disturbing at all. I can't hate her becoz her love for Shinya.

3. Fujimi Orchestra

Simple reason : I LOVE 5th gen Seigaku with all my heart. SO I'd LOVE every movie that include any of the member in it (and it got 4 members in it!!!)

Oh, and I love Yuuki's cuteness and Tonouin's bakaness (esp when he knocked his head on the door coz he's too happy to found Yuuki in the room)

2. Takumi kun 3 Bibou no Detail

The best Takumi-Gii story for me. Gii's overly cautious act that made Takumi upset, and Misu's brotherly love for Takumi.

1. Takumi kun 4 Pure

As I mentioned in no. 3 :p

Oh, and the chocolate kiss scene is so sweet XDDDDD

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I love yaoi and what not, I find it really, really hard to get off into live-action. But that's not to say I've never seen one! I haven't actually seen enough to make any great contributions to this post though but he's my one cent.

Formula 17 - Freaking Hilarious! That's all I have to say.

Taboo - I fell in love in Ryuhei Matsuda after watching this. Honestly, it's not that great but it's not that bad. I think it's the ending that kinda got me.

Bangkok Love Story - I've only seen half of this but so far so good.

Schoolboy Crush - I liked this one! It was really good in my opinion! Of course the ending was a tear-jerker for me.

Lan Yu - Eh, I didn't really care for it. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. Although I know a girl who swears it was the thing she's ever watched.

On my to watch list:

Big Bang Juvenile A (simply because it's directed by Takashi Miike)

No Regret (simply because it's by South Korea's first openly gay film director)

Beautiful Boxer - well, this one is based on a true story (which is why I want to see it). It's about a thai kick boxer that that has a secret: he's transgender. I hear the movie has won some awards or what not.

• Like 4

I like very much BL dramas esp korean/japanese dramas, my top 5:

1) TAKUMI KUN 5

2) TAKUMI KUN 3

3) AI NO KOTODAMA

4) NO REGRETS

5) BOYS LOVE 1

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Will you change your lists??

:D

Right now...

1. Pure

2. Hormones : Phu & Thee

3. Shelter

4. Total Eclipse

5. Takumi kun 5 :D

• 2 weeks later...

Shelter is definitely on my top list for gay movies.

I thought this is just for asian BL movies.

Have you seen watercolors. OMG, it's so sad but so wonderful.

Watercolors?

Not yet na

As Frozen Flower, is it sadder than this, My Peachy?

• 2 weeks later...

and
, I've seen both Shelter and Watercolors; both were fantastic! I LOVED the ending of Shelter because it's just simply so rare.

On a different note, here's an update. I recently watched Lan Yu, and Big Bang Juvenile A and a few others. My lists is now:

5. Antique

4. Takumi 2

3. Lan Yu

2. Eternal Summer

1. No Regrets

Oh I see ;) I think I'll watch Watercolor as you
mentioned.... ;)

Did you watch Love Of Siam, yet?

^_^~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a big favorites list, these are just a small part of it :hamtaro-005 (17):

1. It gets better/ The love of Siam/ Ang pagdadalaga maximo oliveros

2. Ai no kotodama/ eternal summer/ no regret

3. Junjou Pure heart/ Takumi-kun 4/ Beautiful Boxer

4. Two weddings and a funeral/ Just Friends(short mmovie)/ Hormones

5. Ren Ai shidan Tsubasa no Kakera/ Glommy salad days/ Life is beautiful/Eu Não Quero Voltar Sozinho - I don't want to go back alone.

• 4 months later...

In no specific order~~

1) Antique Bakery (korean)

2) Takumi-kun 4

3) Eternal summer

4) Two weddings and a funeral

5) The king and the clown

• 3 weeks later...

I would change the list, yes...

Includes non-asian movies

1. Shiawase no Katachi, Form of Happiness [Arai Yuusuke + Saitou Yasuka]

2. Fujimi Orchestra [duh again, lol.]

3. Shelter - its so frickin' sweet, how could you NOT put in top 5??

4. Takumi-Kun Pure

5. The Graffiti Artist - underground movie... street taggers... I just love the romantic scene between two taggers but ultimately ends, not tragic but a bitter sweet reality. There's a whole movie on youtube. I used to be skateboarder. I personally felt close to home with it.

[video=youtube_share;fbYdi2k56ZQ]

The soundtrack was wonderful.

Watercolors and Formula 17 and No Regrets always come close.

I would include Nowhere [by Gregg Araki] to the number one. It's my ALL-TIME favorite movie, and never changed. but it wasn't classified as BL movie. It had BL elements though.

Sorry for late reply. Watercolors was very sad, na... but very good. It happened in real life.

And yes I saw Love of Siam, it was kawaii... but nothing memorable, though. It just didn't hit me emotionally.... guess I like a bit more angst. My top doesn't have that angst ... but the number 2 and 4 are more of a sadist side of me being seme, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Top 5...

I tried to figure out what is my 'top 5' and I've come to the conclusion that I don't have one. Only a 'top 2'...or 3.

1.Brokeback Mountain(As much as I wish to give my first place to an asian movie,I just can't. Brokeback Mountain is a masterpiece from the beginning to the end. Ang Lee did a great job...no wonder he won 63rd Golden Globe Awards - Best Director. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal are also great actors and they demonstrated it. And so,per total,you just can't compare a movie with a storyline like this with any other asian movie).

2.Behind the candelabra(Not a lovey dovey story,but still...).

3.All the rest.

• 1 month later...

Antique (Korean):

Funny and sweet despite some fairly dark themes. You can fall in love with all the main characters and that's a rare thing. Watching Ju Ji Hoon going from grumbling about the 'lifeless cake pervert' or smacking the other guys one second to bowing and welcoming customers the next never fails to crack me up.

Lan Yu and The King and the Clown:

I put them together because they're tearjerkers and I have to be in the right mood to watch them. So much love and pain in both of them. I'm usually melancholy for days after I watch them.

Takumi-kun 5: Ano, Hareta Aozora:

I think this film tells the best story of the five with Takumi resolving some of his past and growing into a stronger person. And the heat of the Misu/Shinyouji pairing really complements the sweetness of Gii/Takumi. Their kisses alone are reason to watch this film.

Boys Love:

I love and hate this film. I feel that the manga did a much better job of telling the story and why it has to end tragically. I like the emotion between Saito and Kotani in the last half of the film. And Saito has scenes in his underwear, sheets and swimsuits - wonderful eye candy!

• 4 weeks later...

My top 5 are:

• Brokeback mountain
  • Dream boy
  • Edge of seventeen
  • free fall
  • shelter

I haven't really watched many asian drama

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
My top 5 are:

• Brokeback mountain
  • Dream boy
  • Edge of seventeen
  • free fall
  • shelter

I haven't really watched many asian drama

I recently saw Shelter. Such a sweet story and the lead actors did a great job.