Incest : agree or disagree ?

strixchuu

Hello everyone =)

Recently I have a talk with a friend about this : Incest.

We read the same fanfic : the fandom was Numb3rs and the couple was an incest with the two Eppes brothers. He don't like this at all. I think that these kinds of stories is not unpleasant if it's well written. And all the afternoon we have a talk about this topic. Now I wonder what is the general opinion for readers of BL.

So I ask you guys, what is your opinion about incest in BL, manga, anime, movies or fanfic ?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheWeather

• strixchuu

• beatlechan

• teaandyoghurt

I would have to go with not comfortable playing it.

It's fine every other way but if I am proposed to Rp it nope...

I see what you mean, me too I think I can't Rp it...

In this way of thinking I am not confused to read this but I know I can't writing about it.

Real life, I do not agree with it, there is to much emotional mess around it and just not healthy for a person, never mind the genetic problems if a male and female relationship between family members where to result in a child. In yaoi, I love it. It is a fantasy basied on a taboo subject, and often flick my bean to such stories, yet that's just want it should remain... A fantasy

I read the title of this thread and my first thought was "Incest, NEVER". In real life I am completely against incest, espcially between parent and child, it is one of the worst things a parent can do to their child in my opinion and it is something I would never want to see in yaoi or RP either. As for incest between siblings, if it's consensual I don't find it quite as morally repulsive as parent-child incest (if it's a sibling forcing themselves on the other that is just rape and I will never condone rape, or RP it if it's not absolutely necessary for the development of the character) but I still consider it an unhealthy kind of relationship. I have to confess though that in yaoi I like twincest.

I love reading incest manga.. but not for the real..

its better just on manga, novel, movie, or anything. and if there is an incest couple, I hope they will never going open. because it will be bad influence for children's future (just my opinion). :D

I'm not really sure if I'd like incest in real life, but in yaoi and shounen-ai?! That's a totally different matter! It can turn the story into something dangerously interesting. So I must say, I am definitely not against incest!~

Im very against it in real life and find that it is very disturbing, Especially when parents are involved (I'd stop reading that manga/ watching that anime) However between siblings it less disturbing but still very disturbing none the less... However in twincest, in yaoi, they make it seem consensual... but i can't help but wonder in real life twins what do they so... Since they have so much time together... So yes, I agree with it just as a fantasy but NEVER in real life..

Im very against it in real life and find that it is very disturbing, Especially when parents are involved (I'd stop reading that manga/ watching that anime) However between siblings it less disturbing but still very disturbing none the less... However in twincest, in yaoi, they make it seem consensual... but i can't help but wonder in real life twins what do they so... Since they have so much time together... So yes, I agree with it just as a fantasy but NEVER in real life..

More power to you! (that is like saying i agree and i give you magical powers of popcorn right?)

I on the other hand am a bit more extreme with my opinions - I apologise in advance should my thoughts on this topic offend anyone. This is by no means my goal and would be unintentional.

I do not agree with incest in real life, I would not accept it in films or anime or any form of entertainment. I find sexual relationships between family members disturbing for example:

I was watching this one show where this woman was in hospital (i was flicking the channels and stopped here - lady looked like she was hit by a bus and my interest had peaked, "what happened to the poor woman!") and the police came to interrogate her. Apparently she and her father had been at it, the father seemed very sad that it had come to happen however... The daughter states she was the one to MAKE THE FIRST MOVE. She seduced her father...

Nuh uh... Ain't happening... *channel change* No

Recently found a comic cartoon thingy similar storyline... Closed it, decided maybe I read it wrong, forwarded to read more... No

Someone that you (not YOU you but whomever it may be) grew up with or was your carer would have been seen in a loving and caring light. How people switch the unconditional love of family (cousins, siblings, twins, chickens, whatever...) into sexual feelings is something I am unable to comprehend to date.

I think that is all I have to say... To be honest whatever people/anime characters want to do they can do, just don't tell me! What I don't know wont hurt me (or rather upset me to the point i have to close a tab and open a new one lol).

Yeah... Oyasuminasai peeps

I don't go out of my way to find it or avoid it. What makes fiction great is that it is only limited by the author's imagination. I thought that "Open the Door to Your Heart" by Yamada Yugi and "Lies and Kisses" by Minase Masara handled the topic deftly and made me really want a happy ending for the couples in both stories.

What we read in BL manga is not always what we support in real life. Most people do not support rape, cheating, paying back debts with sex, or being distraught for 10 years over unrequited love/being dumped, but these are common themes in BL fiction. My take is, if fictional incest bothers a person, he/she should not read it, but if it doesn't, that's okay too. There is nothing wrong with either decision, it is a personal choice. There are those who would be "against" BL altogether. What would we say to them?

Real life, I do not agree with it, there is to much emotional mess around it and just not healthy for a person, never mind the genetic problems if a male and female relationship between family members where to result in a child. In yaoi, I love it. It is a fantasy basied on a taboo subject, and often flick my bean to such stories, yet that's just want it should remain... A fantasy

I agree that in reality, of course incest has its downside, like higher probability of having a disabled/retarded/etc child. But you need to prove "too much emotional mess" and "just not healthy for a person". You can't just make claims and say that they are facts.

If those two phrases meant that they will be ostracised and discriminated against by society, then isn't that an unacceptable social reaction, the way society reacts negatively towards homosexuals? (which certainly you're not against, right?)

I read the title of this thread and my first thought was "Incest' date=' NEVER". In real life I am completely against incest, espcially between parent and child, it is one of the worst things a parent can do to their child in my opinion and it is something I would never want to see in yaoi or RP either. As for incest between siblings, if it's consensual I don't find it quite as morally repulsive as parent-child incest (if it's a sibling forcing themselves on the other that is just rape and I will never condone rape, or RP it if it's not absolutely necessary for the development of the character) but I still consider it an unhealthy kind of relationship. I have to confess though that in yaoi I like twincest.[/quote']

I agree that it'll be wrong of the parent if the child is "underaged", perhaps 6 or 10 or something. But why would it be "one of the worst things a parent can do to their child", if the child is already an adult, capable of thinking straight, and making reasonable and logical decisions. What makes these two consenting blood-related adults who feel love for one another unacceptable, while other consenting non-blood-related adults who feel love for one another acceptable?

I love reading incest manga.. but not for the real..

its better just on manga, novel, movie, or anything. and if there is an incest couple, I hope they will never going open. because it will be bad influence for children's future (just my opinion). :D

On what basis are you saying that "it will be bad influence for children's future"? That's exactly the same argument that people who're against homosexuals make. Why is it bad? And why are you against them going public, but not homosexuals?

The present situation is the same as the case of homosexuals, yet you're all (except for Duchess- and some people) making the same exact arguments other people make against homosexuals. You're all being hypocritical.

I believe these are all emotional reactions towards a topic to which society has deemed unacceptable. There's nothing wrong with incest as long as they're both consenting adults who're in the relationship voluntarily, not by coercion or brainwashing etc. It's the same as normal relationships.

Wow

There is many opinions here ! I never think that everybody answer to my post ^^'

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
I see your point of view.

I read and watch some fiction about BL/yaoi incest and in real live I don't really think of it if childrens are not concerned because my mother worked in a social agence and she worked with childrens of an incest family (a man and his brother's daughter) and the childrens are not in good health ...

(psychological and physical infirmity...)

So I think this is no really the same as homosexual or other relationships because they have to think about future and aftermath...

Wow

There is many opinions here ! I never think that everybody answer to my post ^^'

I see your point of view.

I read and watch some fiction about BL/yaoi incest and in real live I don't really think of it if childrens are not concerned because my mother worked in a social agence and she worked with childrens of an incest family (a man and his brother's daughter) and the childrens are not in good health ...

(psychological and physical infirmity...)

So I think this is no really the same as homosexual or other relationships because they have to think about future and aftermath...

I don't think you see my point at all.

I don't see the difference between incest and homosexuality in regards to psychological consequences, except for the fact that there's an increasing support now for homosexuals. Psychological consequences of being in a homosexual relationship includes but not limited to being ostracised by friends and families, be looked at funny, be called names, be victims of bullying, etc. And all these stems from the fact that society at large discriminates against homosexuality. Yes, the world is becoming more liberal about it, but homophobia and homosexual discrimination is still widespread, and people still get bullied for it. Homosexuals have been found to be more prone to mental health issues, and in addition to that looking for help with mental health issues is much harder for homosexuals because of the double discrimination in some society (1. having mental health, 2. homosexuality).

You replace the word homosexuality with incest, you'll see my point. Except that the situation for homosexuals are better now because SOCIETY is moving towards the elimination of discrimination against homosexuals.

Saying this implies that homosexuals do not have to think of their future and the implications of their behaviours, which is completely absurd. There are huge implications to coming out. Homosexuals used to be regarded as a crime in many places, and probably is still the case in some countries now. They went to jail for it, or they're forced to do hormonal castration (or something like that). Though now some countries are more liberal, things still do happen. Society doesn't just turn into this all-accepting goody-two-shoes. If you turn on the TV and watch the news now, you'll see that people still protest against legalizing gay marriage. That should tell you that the real world isn't a flower bed like the stuff you read in mangas and animes.

Also, back to the point of whether incest is acceptable or not, if people're fighting to change society's treatment and point of view of homosexuality for the reason of equality, what difference is there for incest? We're talking about equality, why not change society's treatment and point of view of incest too? We all have the right to choose our partners.

The thing is that, having to be careful about the future is the result of society's rules and regulations of what is acceptable and what is not. Why is incest not acceptable? I have not seen anyone say that incest is wrong for any good reason. The reasons are only "it's disgusting and wrong", which is pretty much what homophobics say about homosexuality.

I don't read/watch about incest...it's something hard to swallow.

But I'll support them and their decisions no matter what.

We're not in the position to judge them.

It had been in many customs. It was considered normal when it comes to royal lines. Since ancient times...

I think all of these answers can be found rooted in the basic beliefs of reincarnation.

Your current wife could be your mother in the previous life.

Your brother could be a person who killed you the other life.

Who knows.

That's what I believe.

This may be off topic but how could you just born with a clean slate? Impossible. You'd be nothing more than a primitive caveman, who is less capable of understanding emotions. In order for human to evolve or advance, they need more experienced souls to come back in.

How do you explain people who feel they were born the wrong gender, and thus cross-gendered, transexuals, transgendered, and so on? Most of them would strongly tell you they were 'born' with it because society just slapping labels on them weren't right at all.

Attraction is something more than just psychological, it's the scarring identity of your soul. It's something that cannot be helped. It's the law of the universe. You are attracted to what you are attracted to.

I believe that we all have accumulated enough experiences to understand the meaning of love. And of course, love has no boundaries as well!

So we need to stop all forms of discrimination, including ones against incestuous relationships.

In the manga or movies, it's so easy for me to accept...

And in real life, it's hard but it could happen,...

I agree with your opinion

We cannot judge or say what's right or wrong...

Nobody's perfect, it's so true.....

:hamtaro-005 (19):

• 2 weeks later...

It had been in many customs. It was considered normal when it comes to royal lines. Since ancient times...

i think it is so as not to spread the wealth. they just marry within their family

You replace the word homosexuality with incest, you'll see my point. Except that the situation for homosexuals are better now because SOCIETY is moving towards the elimination of discrimination against homosexuals.

I just think that it is unfair to equate homosexuality with incest. the only thing that they have in common is that they are both love that is forbidden/unacceptable.

i think the reason why society is being more accepting to homosexuality is because after the main thing, people tend to look deeper. In homosexuality's case people can also see good things.For example, in the phil, there are a good number of "tambay" (jobless,just socializes with each other, and drinks,i don't know how to further characterize them) and most of them are men.Then my sister happen to share a story about her co-professor that time. long story short, she asked about that Sir's view of having a gay son and his reply was : it was alright, at least i know that he will have a work, see, you don't see jobless gay people. (the reply was in tagalog)

Another good point is gay people are sweet, thoughtful, responsible and fun to be with. If you watched "Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros", you'll get the basic idea.

in incest's case...people focuses on the sickly effect on the future offspring

That's my view on equating homosexuality with incest. :) so it does not follow, that if you can accept one socially unacceptable idea, you are required to accept all other unacceptable ideas. Because if that's the case, other countries should also legalize murder(?)

Going back to the main topic. Incest : agree or disagree ?

I'm limited to what i can see around me and the way i think is my own thinking/mentality. this are just my opinion.

When i think of incest, the obvious people to look at is my immediate family, and i can't even accept entertaining the idea. and i haven't met actual incestuous people, so i'm not sure how will actually i react.

In Manga, i used to totally ignore titles that have incestuous theme, but then i downloaded the manga "Not Equal". i thought it was one of those stepfather-son things, and it wasn't. But i couldn't just stop reading it, i was really taken in by the emotional and psychological turmoil, so i kept reading. and i appreciated the story. it was good.

For me, in stories, manga, novels, etc i guess i'm okay with such topic as long as the story is good and i can feel that love is really there. (for example, just, Jamie Lannister)

I've read some manga with incest in it but I'm really uncomfortable. The fact that I know they are sisters or brothers really bother me. As much as possible I avoid reading mangas with incest.

And a big NO in real life. 075.gif

I just think that it is unfair to equate homosexuality with incest. the only thing that they have in common is that they are both love that is forbidden/unacceptable.

i think the reason why society is being more accepting to homosexuality is because after the main thing, people tend to look deeper. In homosexuality's case people can also see good things.For example, in the phil, there are a good number of "tambay" (jobless,just socializes with each other, and drinks,i don't know how to further characterize them) and most of them are men.Then my sister happen to share a story about her co-professor that time. long story short, she asked about that Sir's view of having a gay son and his reply was : it was alright, at least i know that he will have a work, see, you don't see jobless gay people. (the reply was in tagalog)

Another good point is gay people are sweet, thoughtful, responsible and fun to be with. If you watched "Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros", you'll get the basic idea.

in incest's case...people focuses on the sickly effect on the future offspring

That's my view on equating homosexuality with incest. :) so it does not follow, that if you can accept one socially unacceptable idea, you are required to accept all other unacceptable ideas. Because if that's the case, other countries should also legalize murder(?)

Your argument isn't directed against mine, i.e. you're attacking something else. My argument is not: We should legalize anything that is unacceptable.

My argument is that there is no conceivable reason as to why incest should be regarded as disgusting and unacceptable.

And by the way, I don't see how your argument makes any sense. You made unsubstantiated claims that society looks deeper into homosexuals, and see good things in them. And so? Where's the comparison with incest? Even if it is true that society looks deeper into their relationships, wouldn't that just say that society is at fault for not doing the same for incest? Because, once again, the point is that they're mutual consenting adults who experience this attraction towards each other called love. Where is the equality?

And anecdotal evidence is the worst form of evidence that anyone can give to support a serious argument.

That's not a good point at all. That's a movie (that I've never watched before), and we know that movies are not representative of the world. By your argument I can say that, based on CSI, all cops are super awesome smart, which is absolutely untrue. And based on your argument I can also say that people in incest relationship are sweet, thoughtful, responsible and fun to be with as apparent from the thousands of manga out there. I can also say that gay people are rapist based on the thousand manga out there.

I stated that this are my opinion/comment/thoughts , based on my own understanding. Based on my own mind alone. And I am limited to first hand experience.

And I can’t further state anything on incest because I don’t know any people involved in such.

The examples that I cited, they are not presented to be a basis in proving something. Its more like : these are my thoughts, from what I see in my surrounding and people I know, and the examples are only there so as to aid other people in imagining what I am trying to explain. (I am actually not very good at explaining things so I got used to giving examples. I really am sorry if my post/reply didn’t come across well. rabbit0 )

I absolutely don’t have the intention of saying those ideas are the absolute truth and other people should change their opinion in favor of mine. I am merely sharing my ideas. Sorry again.

Each of us have a unique way of looking into ideas, some might be similar to each other some might be the opposite. The thing is opinion vary from person to person and can be influenced by a lot of things, so responses to forums have tendencies to be subjective.

Thank you UndertheWeather :)